Advice sought on Julius Caesar Denarius. Lend me your eyes....

Dafydd

Could I please ask for help with this coin? A portrait Julius Caesar has been on my bucket list for sometime but I have been thwarted by a multitude of issues including timing and diverting monies to other "must haves". I acquired this one recently and my concerns are about its low weight. It weighs 2.25 g and  the diameter is 18.4 mm. It came from a dealer who accepts  returns and it was an impulse purchase without viewing.  I considered I might be a disgruntled Roman citizen to receive this one as payment!

I have checked the Forum fake coin site and cannot find a match.

image.png.1e12d74dc72a6d8f9d5fc47c3dfa4b5f.png

image.png.5f891566af764d4ab7eebe5c7caecc92.png

image.jpeg.cf1848efb42f7115851496e669f8fca2.jpegimage.jpeg.27fb85341e1a5ef2c40f51a720ffed6e.jpeg

Roman Empire - Julius Caesar with L. Livineius Regulus, moneyer, silver denarius. Minted in Rome, 42 B.C.

Wreathed head of Caesar right; laurel branch behind, winged caduceus before./

Bull charging right; L • LIVINEIVS above, REGVLVS below.

Crawford 494/24; CRI 115; Sydenham 1106; Kestner 3729-30; BMCRR Rome 4274-6; RSC 27.

My thought is that it is a Fourrée , but that is not what it was described as and I have no experience of them . I had a disappointment with this dealer some time ago when I bought a Claudius denarius as part of my 12 Caesars to find it had a pronounced flan split that was not mentioned. The dealer does not have a website and offers  money back guarantees although I kept the Claudius because the price reflected the split although it wasn't mentioned. Yes, I know I should have learnt a lesson but the allure of a portrait Julius Caesar at a reasonable price was too good to miss. I have  not found this coin as a Fourrée  although I am still looking. 
I would be very grateful for opinions.  Fourrée or not, in the hand it is very attractive ( to me ).

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

It weighs 2.25 g

A quick check of ACSEARCH uncovered around 65 Julius Caesar denarii of this type, all of which had weights higher than 3.5g, and many of which had weights over 4.0g.

The likelihood that you have a genuine denarius that weighs 2.25g. is, well, pretty much zero.

Even if you don't have a paid subscription to ACSEARCH allowing you to view the hammer prices, you can still research the other aspects of coins including normal weights.  Doing so before you purchase will save a lot of headache and angst.

• Like 3

Looks fake to me. Among other problems, the dotted border on the reverse - well within the large flan - is faded away while the 1 o'clock lettering is nice and sharp.

But yes, the weight is a dead giveaway and the surfaces look cast to me. Is there a seam around the edge?

I'd return it and look for a new dealer if I were you - especially if this coin were sold as genuine!

• Like 3

Thanks all, you confirmed my fears , I was convinced but part of me wanted to dream on..........  It's heading back and that is the last time I contemplate having any dealings with that dealer. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

• Like 4
  • Yes 1

6 hours ago, Dafydd said:

Thanks all, you confirmed my fears , I was convinced but part of me wanted to dream on..........  It's heading back and that is the last time I contemplate having any dealings with that dealer. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me!

May one ask at what price the dealer sold this Caesar?

On 12/14/2022 at 3:25 PM, Prieure de Sion said:

May one ask at what price the dealer sold this Caesar?

£640 so the equivalent of around 730 Euros or 780 Dollars. Not so inexpensive that you would imagine it could not possibly be real but expensive enough to be considered a bargain backed up with the comment " a reasonable portrait". The dealer does not have a website and advertises low cost rarities. I guess that without access to a forum such as this , many people could have been duped over the years and of course offering a money back guarantee does lend a sense of security. At my age I should knwo better and if it sounds ( or reads) too good to be true then it probably isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

£640 so the equivalent of around 730 Euros or 780 Dollars. Not so inexpensive that you would imagine it could not possibly

Sorry … that’s actually for this type too too too cheap. For a 0815 Caesar Elefant Denarius you paid in a ok condition more than 1000 USD. For 1000 USD you get a Caesar Aeneas Denarius. And this two types you find every auction….

Your type - today - it’s not possible for this price. 

38 minutes ago, Dafydd said:

offering a money back guarantee does lend a sense of security.

Many fake dealers do that. The intention is clear - 10 customers buy a fake coin - 5 customers give it back as fake, 5 customers don’t know was a fake and the coin will stay in their collection. The dealer have no risk - he try 10 deals - and 5 deals are a won. With the other 5 coins come back - he will try later with a „business partner“ or new eBay account.

There are hundreds of fake sellers - who switch after a time the account with new name - after he get to many bad feedback or to many reclamations.

A money back guarantee is NOT something that should make you trust the seller more. This offer from him is well thought out and is part of the plan - but not a service for you as a buyer. 

Anyway - for subsequent readers and new numismatists. You never buy such a rare Caesar type (or other rare type) on eBay - especially not if the seller has nothing else to show. 

😉 

• Like 1
  • Yes 2