Collection Being Sold

KenDorney

• Benefactor

Saying goodbye to my collection of antiquities.  They are closing at CNG this Wednesday, some with bids so low I might have to pay CNG for selling them!  Ah well.  I'm sure they are going to good homes:

https://auctions.cngcoins.com/auctions/4-854FRH/electronic-auction-529?categories=4-9PWI6&limit=48

• Like 5
  • Shock 1

I understand that your consigned antiquities are up for auction this Wednesday, and while they have already seen some bids, I was hoping that there could be more. As someone who is as passionate about ancient coins as you are, it would make me so happy to see these pieces find the right home before the deadline. I wish you all the best for this upcoming week and hope that these coins will receive even more attention in their final days on the auction block!

• Benefactor
23 hours ago, JimBranson said:

I understand that your consigned antiquities are up for auction this Wednesday, and while they have already seen some bids, I was hoping that there could be more. As someone who is as passionate about ancient coins as you are, it would make me so happy to see these pieces find the right home before the deadline. I wish you all the best for this upcoming week and hope that these coins will receive even more attention in their final days on the auction block!

I'm a bit surprised not all have bids as yet. I think some will fail to sell despite the low opening prices.  In the end I will probably get abut half what I paid for them, which doesn't really matter I suppose.  Just that they go to good homes.  We will see though.  Many bids dont come in until right at the closing time.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 12:13 AM, KenDorney said:

Saying goodbye to my collection of antiquities.  They are closing at CNG this Wednesday, some with bids so low I might have to pay CNG for selling them!  Ah well.  I'm sure they are going to good homes:

https://auctions.cngcoins.com/auctions/4-854FRH/electronic-auction-529?categories=4-9PWI6&limit=48

Good luck with the sale! I already spent my budget for this year but those are some nice pieces.

Why are you selling them if I might ask? And are you at least keeping one to remember the hobby? 

Edited by ComicMan

• Benefactor
15 hours ago, ComicMan said:

Why are you selling them if I might ask? And are you at least keeping one to remember the hobby? 

I cant really display them properly any more, so I thought I would pass them to the next generation.  I did keep a couple very simple pieces, nothing extravagant.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KenDorney said:

I cant really display them properly any more, so I thought I would pass them to the next generation.  I did keep a couple very simple pieces, nothing extravagant.

just wondering, how did u display them? i put in a couple bids and won a lot on a roman jug. its my first antiquity that i have in my collection, so not sure how to go about displaying it and keeping it safe

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Cordoba said:

just wondering, how did u display them? i put in a couple bids and won a lot on a roman jug. its my first antiquity that i have in my collection, so not sure how to go about displaying it and keeping it safe

I keep my smaller antiquities on shelves inside glass display cases, and the larger ones in glass domes/bell jars, which come in a great variety of sizes. I usually affix the artifact to the bottom surface of the shelf or glass dome with removable museum putty, and fix the display case or jar to the surface on which it rests with the same substance. Especially during the 16+ years until a few months ago when I had a cat, I didn't want to risk anything getting knocked over. With a coin, the greatest risk is usually a scratch or ding; with many artifacts, a fall can easily result in the object shattering.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 1

• Benefactor
8 hours ago, Cordoba said:

Bookshelves.  

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, Roerbakmix said:

Was this the case?

I watched it close and it seems there were a few people waiting till the last few seconds to bid, but by the start of the auction most bids seem to have been placed.  In the end half a dozed went much higher than I would have thought, but most went rather cheaply.  In the end I think it averaged out to what I had expected, so I am happy with the results.  I think it would have done much better if they had half decent photographs.  They were pretty terrible and not up to their usual standards.

• Like 1
  • Cry 1

On 12/12/2022 at 6:13 PM, KenDorney said:

Ken, I look forward to giving this little jug a nice new home!

961_2.jpg.6b661a0f46024490f08d2f62c36a9677.jpg961_3.jpg.3ca3546cd044742acc668d7510b1ea5e.jpg

GREEK. Levant & the Near East. Syro-Palestine, Middle Bronze Age II, Pottery Jug. Circa 2000 - 1750 BCE. Standing 7.5” / 190 cm tall, an ovoid vessel with a bulbous body, narrow neck and flaring mouth, with a single handle; the body decorated with linear incised circles. Amiran Plate 33, 7. Minor damage to mouth, a few surface marks, otherwise intact.

From the Kenneth W. Dorney Collection.

• Like 6

• Benefactor
11 hours ago, Octavius said:

Ken, I look forward to giving this little jug a nice new home!

I just found these pics, taken a little over 30 years ago (when I was young and had hair).  It shows some of my pottery collection at that time.  In the end I have kept the single-handled jug I am holding in the photo, a single piece to remind me of what once was.

BTW, a number of the lamps seen in the pic turned out to be false.  Some of them were from what is now known as the 'Syrian Group' of fake lamps which came on the market in the mid 1980's.

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

Edited by KenDorney
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Mind blown 1

21 minutes ago, KenDorney said:

I just found these pics, taken a little over 30 years ago (when I was young and had hair).  It shows some of my pottery collection at that time.  In the end I have kept the single-handled jug I am holding in the photo, a single piece to remind me of what once was.

BTW, a number of the lamps seen in the pic turned out to be false.  Some of them were from what is now known as the 'Syrian Group' of fake lamps which came on the market in the mid 1980's.

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

How did you realize the fake ones were fake? I have 0 idea of how to detect forgeries for antiquities

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, Cordoba said:

How did you realize the fake ones were fake? I have 0 idea of how to detect forgeries for antiquities

For years I though they were genuine but after talking to a number of people who were a bit closer to the source than me I was convinced they were correct.  Its been many years, so I dont remember all the details.  They were very well made and convincing, but in the end I think someone did a Thermoluminescence test on them and they were modern.  Here is a link that has a few of them illustrated:

https://www.romulus2.com/lamps/fakes/fakes1.shtml#syrian

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, KenDorney said:

IMG_4873.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4871.JPG

Ken If you still have the jug with the Kahlua label I'll put a bid on it if you decide to consign it. 😛

• Laugh 2

• 5 months later...