correct weight of an Athens tetradrachm

tartanhill

I won an owl in the last Numismatik Naumann auction that seems to be overweight to me.  It was advertised to weigh 17.51 grams but weighs 17.47 grams on my scale.  My suspicion is that it may be an eastern imitation owl.  Do any of you have an owl that is overweight like this?  The picture is below.

ATTICA. Athens. Tetradrachm (Circa 454-404 BC).     Obv: Helmeted head of Athena...

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I'd say the variance is likely due to the scales used; it's within the margin.  Athenian owls and their imitations have quite a range of weights, but most Athenian standardized examples, based on my observations, seem to be in the 17.10 to around 17.25 grams.  

Also, the OP coin might be an imitation.  Quite a few of these coins are hitting the market.  The treatment of the E on the reverse is somewhat odd for an Athenian coin.

Here's an Athenian intermediate owl of the 4th century BC that is on the heavy side.

Attica, Athens, intermediate, Pi-style III, circa 353-340 BC.  From Roma E-Sale 99, lot 115.

17.47 grams

1545931040_D-CameraAthensowlintermediatePi-styleIIIc353-340BC17.47gheavyRoma991157-17-22.jpg.995c730a967058b34c1ae258a92d53ce.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 4

Does look NOT an official Athenian product.  Somewhat heavy but no doubt a genuine ancient imitation.  For a standard MASS CLASSIC OWL, 100's have been ( and still being)  sold by Roma  that will not break the bank.  Pick your dealer and pay your  dues! My example ( no longer)  was thought of as a mass Classic copy of Buttrey type  something or other, test cut and 17 gm  and was cheap!

Athens Mass Classic Owl 450-404 BC SOLD

SOLD Obv :Head of Athena right
2 large and one very light test cuts.
Rev : Owl facing with olive sprig and crescent moon over left field
Inscription AΘE ethnic :Incuse square
Grafitto poss Phoenician or Aramaic letter Beth SOLD
deep test cut between owls eyes
23mm 17.07gm
Buttrey " M " type un-official Egyptian produced owl---  MAYBE?

SOLD Athens Mass Classic Owl 450-404 BC SOLD SOLD Obv :Head of Athena right 2 large and one very light test cuts. Rev : Owl facing with olive sprig and crescent moon over left field Inscription AΘE ethnic :Incuse square Grafitto poss Phoenician or Aramaic letter Beth SOLD deep test cut between owls eyes 23mm 17.07gm Buttrey " M " type un-official Egyptian produced owl  Keywords: athens graffito owl incuse ethnic test cuts classic mass imitative Buttrey M Aramaic Athena olive sprig crescent moon

• Like 5