Jump to content

Share a Seleucid


filolif
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Benefactor

Good idea for a post! Here are my two Seleukids.

(note that I have no idea why the second image is so small. When I uploaded it, it was the same res as the first)

331A0258-Edit.thumb.jpg.fc8e50e8a73bb0a5fa7cdbc825d8f8a4.jpg

Seleukos I Nikator
Tetradrachm (Silver, 26 mm, 17.08 g, 8 h)
Susa, circa 296/5-281.
Laureate head of Zeus to right. Rev. BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ΣEΛEΥKOΥ Athena, brandishing spear overhead in her right hand and holding shield in her left, standing right in quadriga of elephants moving to right; above to right, spearhead; before elephants, monogram of MΩ. SC 177.2.
Ex Leu Numismatik

 

331A1881-Edit.thumb.jpg.42e8872f82fad4288dea51d8f44c3262.jpg

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos I Soter AR Tetradrachm
Seleukeia on the Tigris, 281-261 BC
Diademed head to right / Apollo Delphios seated to left on omphalos, testing arrow and resting left hand on grounded bow; ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ to right, ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ to left, monogram to outer left and right.
SC 379.5a; HGC 9, 128g. 16.80g, 29mm, 3h.
Acquired from Numismatik Naumann

 

  • Like 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Seleucids were always my favorite of the successor kingdoms, and I have a few Tets, most of which are unphotographed.

31745q00.jpg.de1cc2c8c00b3a77c6207ed2d81f1801.jpg

 

31745. Silver tetradrachm, Newell SMA 97, SNG Spaer 1256 - 62 var (control-mark), VF, cracked, Antioch mint, weight 14.440g, maximum diameter 31.6mm, die axis 0o, 162 - 150 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Demetrios right, fillet border; reverse ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ / ∆ΗΜΗΤΡΙΟΥ, Tyche seated left, short scepter in right, cornucopia in left, seat supported by Nike, monogram in ex; possibly broken in two and glued together;  (Forum)

 

 

1163232300_SeleukosIV187-175BC-ARDrachm4.18gCf.1361(controls)Hoover582e.thumb.jpg.19d7ecda99be38db184554d85d76bf16.jpg

Mediocre picture by me.  A Christmas or birthday present from a few years back.

  • Like 16
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice coins all.  A few relevant examples.

65AD43A6-87C2-46FF-86C0-36CCB4A2A3DF.thumb.jpeg.292ea09a2ebcb4331d1e44dc6adc352d.jpegSeleucid Empire
Antiochos VII Sidites, 138-129 BC
AR Tetradrachm, Tyre mint, struck ca. 131-130 BC (SE 182)
Wt.: 13.47 g
Dia.: 28 mm
Obv.: Antiochus VII Diademed and draped bust right
Rev.: Eagle standing left on prow left; palm frond behind; to left, monogram above club surmounted by Tyre monogram; to right, monogram above BΠP (date); monogram between legs
Ref.: SC 2109.10c; HGC 9, 1074; DCA 198
 

72863D38-AB18-413F-963E-FC494C327ECB.thumb.jpeg.945a9724b5da00e0f98329423d6c43f1.jpeg
Seleukid Kingdom
Diodotos Tryphon
AE17, Antioch mint, struck ca. 142-139 BC
Dia.: 17 mm
Wt.: 4.8 g
Obv.:  Diademed head of Tryphon right
Rev.: BAΣΙΛEΩΣ TPYФΩNOΣ AYTOKPATOPOΣ to right and left of a Macedonian helmet left, adorned with ibex horn. Star in lower left field
Ref.: BMC Vol. IV 11-12; Babelon 1052; Hoover HGC 1061; Houghton SC 2034.2e
Ex Ryro Collection, Ex David@PCC

  • Like 19
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outstanding coins! Here is one of my favorites:

Seleukid Empire: Seleukos I Nikator (312 -281 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Babylon II (Price 3349; SC C94.7d; HGC 9, 10g)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, BAΣIΛEΩΣ in exergue; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding eagle and scepter; anchor and monogram to left; Π below throne
Dim: 28mm, 17.19 g, 8h

 

Price-3349.thumb.jpg.f99dc163c431308d7fa75f7e67049615.jpg

  • Like 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, quant.geek said:

Outstanding coins! Here is one of my favorites:

Seleukid Empire: Seleukos I Nikator (312 -281 BCE) AR Tetradrachm, Babylon II (Price 3349; SC C94.7d; HGC 9, 10g)

Obv: Head of Herakles right, wearing lion skin
Rev: AΛEΞANΔPOY to right, BAΣIΛEΩΣ in exergue; Zeus Aëtophoros seated left, holding eagle and scepter; anchor and monogram to left; Π below throne
Dim: 28mm, 17.19 g, 8h

 

Price-3349.thumb.jpg.f99dc163c431308d7fa75f7e67049615.jpg

Wow! Beautiful.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m more of a Ptolemaic guy but I have a few Seleucid coins. Here’s my favorite.

Antiochus VII, Seleucid Kingdom
AR tetradrachm
Obv: Diademed head right within border
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEΡΓETOY, Athena standing left, holding Nike in right hand, spear, and shield decorated with face in left hand
Mint: Antioch
Date: 138-129 BC
Ref: HGC 1067

[IMG]

 

  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I only have a few Seleucid coins, and they are all bronze, but here's my favourite due to the bottle cap edge. It's common and not worth too much, but I still adore it. I've shown it before on this forum, and I got it from a give-away on CT a while ago...

 

 

Screen Shot 2022-05-31 at 07.46.01.png

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, ValiantKnight said:

I’m more of a Ptolemaic guy but I have a few Seleucid coins. Here’s my favorite.

Antiochus VII, Seleucid Kingdom
AR tetradrachm
Obv: Diademed head right within border
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY EYEΡΓETOY, Athena standing left, holding Nike in right hand, spear, and shield decorated with face in left hand
Mint: Antioch
Date: 138-129 BC
Ref: HGC 1067

[IMG]

 

A lot of these coins where copies minted by Cappadocian kings to pay mercenaries with. Used to have one which turned out to a copy   SEE, !Early Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII Authors(s): ELKE KRENGEL and CATHARINE C. LORBER Source: The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), Vol. 169 (2009), pp. 51-10  also, Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII Authors(s): CATHARINE C. LORBER, ARTHUR HOUGHTON and PETR VESELÝ Source: The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), Vol. 166 (2006), pp. 49-97

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, NewStyleKing said:

A lot of these coins where copies minted by Cappadocian kings to pay mercenaries with. Used to have one which turned out to a copy   SEE, !Early Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII Authors(s): ELKE KRENGEL and CATHARINE C. LORBER Source: The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), Vol. 169 (2009), pp. 51-10  also, Cappadocian Tetradrachms in the Name of Antiochus VII Authors(s): CATHARINE C. LORBER, ARTHUR HOUGHTON and PETR VESELÝ Source: The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), Vol. 166 (2006), pp. 49-97

Probably available on academia. edu under Lorber

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SOLD Antiochus V11 Sidetes Tetradrachm 138-129 BC SOLD SOLD  Obs - Diademed head of Antiochus V11 in fillet border 16.32g  29mm  SC 2061.4e Antioch on the Orontes mint Rev- Athena holding Nike presenting wreath left , right, hand on shield proping up spear Ins- ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ  ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΙΓΕΡΟΥ  surrounded by wreath Control marks Monogram composing ΔΙ below A before Athena left Right above shield, A above M  An early Cappadocian copy emission 4 obs A14 (Krenkal & Lorber 2009) SOLD  Keywords: Seleukid Seleucid Amtiochos Athena Nike Cappodocian wreath

 

SOLD Antiochus V11 Sidetes Tetradrachm 138-129 BC SOLD

SOLD Obs - Diademed head of Antiochus V11 in fillet border
16.32g 29mm SC 2061.4e
Antioch on the Orontes mint
Rev- Athena holding Nike presenting wreath left , right, hand on shield proping up spear
Ins- ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΕΥΕΡΙΓΕΡΟΥ surrounded by wreath
Control marks Monogram composing ΔΙ below A before Athena left Right above shield, A above M
An early Cappadocian copy emission 4 obs A14 (Krenkal & Lorber 2009) SOLD

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing says "Seleucid" like a bottle cap with an elephant! This one is ex-Houghton:

[IMG]
Laodike IV, wife and sister of both Seleucus IV and Antiochus IV.
Selucia in Pieria, 175-164 BC.
AE 3.33 gm; 15 mm.
Obv: Veiled bust of Laodike IV, r.
Rev: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ, elephant head l.; prow.
Refs: Houghton, CSE 113 (plate coin); Forrer 183.

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This may be the largest Seleukid coin:

4260221.jpg.3118b41c7cd8b0ea5b944957ec201704.jpg

SELEUKID EMPIRE. Antiochos IV Epiphanes. 175-164 BC. 43mm, 71.83 g. “Egyptianizing” series. Antioch on the Orontes mint. Struck 169-168 BC.
Obv: Laureate head of Zeus-Serapis right, wearing tainia with Osiris crown at tip
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOXOY ΘEOY EΠIΦANOYΣ (King Antiochos God Manifest); Eagle standing right on thunderbolt.
Refs: SC 1412; HGC 9, 642. ex-Classical Numismatic Group, e-Auction 426, August 2018, lot 221
 

The auction house described this as having "some roughness" and a "flan flaw."  The "flan flaw" looks like post-mint damage: a hole.

Edited by Ed Snible
  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a small, but IMHO very nice coin:

G_401_Ake-Ptolemais.jpg.6e5ade41691e20e8eda63f6a46816811.jpg

Seleukid Kingdom. Ake-Ptolemaïs.
Cleopatra Thea and Antiochos VIII.
Dated SE 187 (126/5 BC)

Obv.: Head of Artemis right, quiver and bow over shoulder
Rev.: ΒΑΣΙΛΙΣΣΗΣ ΚΛΕΟΠΑΤΡΑΣ to right, ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ to left, bow and quiver, ΙΠΡ (date) below.
Æ, 15 mm, 2,97 g
Ref.: HGC 9, 1194; SC 2275.

 

  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I had the budget and discipline in collecting then Seleucid portraits/coins would be high on my list. As it is, I have only a few eclectic examples. 

I'm still on the lookout for my White Whale: a double shekel from Babylon with a Seleucid anchor. For me, that would be the ultimate (seminal) Seleucid coin.

Here are some of mine.

Seleukos I, appropriately from Seleukeia:

272419452_SeleukosIdrachmSeleukeia.thumb.jpg.f33452271b2042b4a2a933a13c4799e1.jpg

 

In the name of Seleukos I, under Antiochos I, by  Philetairos, and in the types of Alexander. Four in one, a versatile coin:

996079862_SeleukosIAntiochosIandPhiletairos..thumb.jpg.525d54aaa2b7a68b29fcd932653a8046.jpg

 

 

And a serrate:

914242806_AntiochosVIDionysosserrate..thumb.png.4445f312ebc3d5eaef3fbc4a802ebf1b.png

 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

I have only one Seleucid coin, purchased at a Frank Robinson auction. (Not his photo!)

Syria, Seleucid Empire, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypon) Tetradrachm, 109-96 BCE Antioch Mint. Obv. Diademed head of Antiochos VIII right / Rev. Zeus Nikephoros seated left on high-backed throne, holding Nike on outstretched right hand and scepter in left; to outer left, E/P monogram above A [Antioch]; ΔI monogram below throne; BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ; all within laurel wreath. Seleucid Coins [SC] Pt. 2, 2309; Seleucid Coins Online [same] (see http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.2309); Seaby 7145 (ill.) [Sear, David, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. II: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Hoover HGC 9, 1200 [Hoover, Oliver, Handbook of Syrian Coins, Royal and Civic Issues, Fourth to First Centuries BC, The Handbook of Greek Coinage Series, Volume 9 (2009)]; Newell SMA 405 [Newell, E.T., The Seleucid Mint of Antioch (1918)], SNG Israel 2554-55 [Spaer, A.  &  A. Houghton, Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Israel I, The Arnold Spaer Collection of Seleucid Coins (London, 1998)]; BMC 4 Seleucid Syria 2 (p. 98) (ill. Pl. XXVI, No. 3) [erroneously attributed to Antiochos XI] [Gardner, P., A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 4, The Seleucid Kings of Syria (London, 1878)].  27 mm., 16.2 g.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b7aeedb8d429f3b57dc159560133e74.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 17
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I have only one Seleucid coin, purchased at a Frank Robinson auction. (Not his photo!)

Syria, Seleucid Empire, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypon) Tetradrachm, 109-96 BCE Antioch Mint. Obv. Diademed head of Antiochos VIII right / Rev. Zeus Nikephoros seated left on high-backed throne, holding Nike on outstretched right hand and scepter in left; to outer left, E/P monogram above A [Antioch]; ΔI monogram below throne; BAΣΙΛΕΩΣ ANTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ; all within laurel wreath. Seleucid Coins [SC] Pt. 2, 2309; Seleucid Coins Online [same] (see http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.2309); Seaby 7145 (ill.) [Sear, David, Greek Coins & their Values, Vol. II: Asia & Africa (Seaby 1979)]; Hoover HGC 9, 1200 [Hoover, Oliver, Handbook of Syrian Coins, Royal and Civic Issues, Fourth to First Centuries BC, The Handbook of Greek Coinage Series, Volume 9 (2009)]; Newell SMA 405 [Newell, E.T., The Seleucid Mint of Antioch (1918)], SNG Israel 2554-55 [Spaer, A.  &  A. Houghton, Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Israel I, The Arnold Spaer Collection of Seleucid Coins (London, 1998)]; BMC 4 Seleucid Syria 2 (p. 98) (ill. Pl. XXVI, No. 3) [erroneously attributed to Antiochos XI] [Gardner, P., A Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Vol. 4, The Seleucid Kings of Syria (London, 1878)].  27 mm., 16.2 g.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b7aeedb8d429f3b57dc159560133e74.jpeg

That's mint condition!!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...