SC 2336.2a
Reverse.. Zeus Ouranos
Ins: ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ ΕΠΙΦΑΝΟΥΣ
Control mark ΔΡ left field
All surrounded by a wreath 

BOTH_ANT_8.jpg

• Like 6

antiochus_vii.jpg.598206d86bade499455297bffeb3308a.jpg

SELEUCID KINGDOM. Antiochus VII Euergetes (Sidetes) (138-129 BC). AR tetradrachm (31mm, 16.72 gm, 12h). NGC AU 5/5 - 3/5. Antioch on the Orontes. Diademed head of Antiochus VII right, diadem ends falling straight behind; bead-and-reel border / BAΣIΛEΩΣ / ANTIOXOY / EYEP-ΓETOY, Athena standing facing, head left, resting left hand on grounded shield decorated with gorgoneion, spear resting against arm, Nike in right hand extending wreath into border; ΔI monogram above ΠY monogram in outer left field, all within laurel wreath. SC 2061.1q. 

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Such lovely tetradrachms in this post, and here I go with a small AE with a countermark.  These are a bit peculiar in that the anchor countermark is always placed directly over...the anchor.  Seems like a waste of time, but I suppose there was some reason for this.  Figuring out the monograms on these, countermarked or not, is a real project, with so many types recorded.  For this one, I couldn't quite get a match with these two together, but my guess is "unlisted" monogram pairings are pretty common with these.  

And so a double-anchor'd little Seleucid AE - I feel as if I'm wearing brown shoes with my tuxedo, but here goes:

1438332756_CMSeleucid-AntiochosIIanchorontripodAug2022(0acr).jpg.8f1a665ee67b7b9236707b90c2dfa097.jpg

Seleucid Kingdom  Æ 15  Antiochos II Theos  Sardes or Tralles Mint n.d. (c. 261-246 B.C.)  Laureate head of Apollo right / BAΣIΛEΩΣ ANTIOX[OY], to right and left of tripod, ΗΔ monogram in left field, ΜΕΡΥ in right field, [anchor in exergue obliterated by countermark]. (3.79 grams / 15 mm) eBay Aug. 2022  

Host Coin Attribution:   Unlisted w. right monogram, sim. to Seleucid Coins (part 1) 525.1c (left monogram match) 

Reverse Monograms: 

Left Field:  ΗΔ monogram (Houghton Monogram 185.1)

Right Field:  ΜΕΡΥ monogram (Houghton Monogram 304.2)

Countermark:  Seleucid anchor in 4 x 3 mm oval on reverse exergue, over host coin anchor.

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

image.png.a42c647dcb899679aeb297399211b363.png

Antiochos VIII Grypos, 121-96BC, AR Stephanophoric Tetradrachm, Diademed bust right, rev Zeus stg. left, crescent over head, Sceptre in right hand, left hand outstretched, 8 rayed sun in palm, DOP monogram below, BASILEOS ANTIOCHOU to right, EPIPHANOUS to left, all within wreath of olive leaves, Ake-Ptolomais mint, 16.59g, (Houghton-Lorber II, 515, 2336 ; SNG Spaer 2591 ; Newell, LSM 27, 32)

I just bought this Seleucid tetradrachm at SPINK Auction. Antiochos VIII Grypos has one of the most beautiful and striking faces in my opinion. So - enough Greeks for me today 😉 

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

image.png.a42c647dcb899679aeb297399211b363.png

Antiochos VIII Grypos, 121-96BC, AR Stephanophoric Tetradrachm, Diademed bust right, rev Zeus stg. left, crescent over head, Sceptre in right hand, left hand outstretched, 8 rayed sun in palm, DOP monogram below, BASILEOS ANTIOCHOU to right, EPIPHANOUS to left, all within wreath of olive leaves, Ake-Ptolomais mint, 16.59g, (Houghton-Lorber II, 515, 2336 ; SNG Spaer 2591 ; Newell, LSM 27, 32)

I just bought this Seleucid tetradrachm at SPINK Auction. Antiochos VIII Grypos has one of the most beautiful and striking faces in my opinion. So - enough Greeks for me today 😉 

Hahaha, classic(always bid on the same stuff)! I was underbidder at 420 pounds, but got 2 main targets (other Tetradrachms)

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, El Cazador said:

Hahaha, classic! I was underbidder at 420 pounds, but got 2 main targets (other Tetradrachms)

Etiam tu mi fili brute...?

You again? 😄 We both have the same (good) good taste, it seems to me... But there has to be a third in the bunch. When you get up to 420 pounds - a third pushed me up to 500 pounds.

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Etiam tu mi fili brute...?

You again? 😄 We both have the same (good) good taste, it seems to me... But there has to be a third in the bunch. When you get up to 420 pounds - a third pushed me up to 500 pounds.

I wanted to push you to 500, but somebody was ahead of me! For this coin i set a budget of $700 inclusive of fees. I hope you gonna enjoy Heritage today and tomorrow- lots of good stuff!:) but you shouldn’t worry, i am not gonna bid against you, as 95% of the stuff that has been on my watchlist are now way above what i budgeted for each coin, so - Buen suerte y Bon Voyage!

Edited by El Cazador
  • Like 1

Sold to fund my retirement purchases of NewStyles

Antiochus l Soter 281-261 BC Posthumous Tetradrachm 

Obverse: Diademed head of Antiochus 1 facing right
Reverse: Apollo sitting on omphalos testing arrow in RH, LH holding grounded bow.
2 monograms, one in each field
Ins- ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΝΤΙΟΧΟΥ
A posthumous coinage from the reign of Antiochus ll
Mint of Seleucia on the Tigris
SC 587.1c 17g 29.5mm 

BOTH_ANTIOCHOS_1_TET.jpg

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Just now, El Cazador said:

I wanted to push you to 500, but somebody was ahead of me! For this coin i set a budget of $700 inclusive of fees. I hope you gonna enjoy Heritage today and tomorrow- lots of good stuff!:) but you shouldn’t worry, i am not gonna bid against you, as 95% of the stuff that has been on my watchlist are now way above what i budgeted for each coin, so - Buen suerte y Bon Voyage!

With Heritage you have a completely free hand. I don't buy anything there anymore. They once shipped me from the Netherlands to Germany for a 25 euro coin for 70 euros. And I had a bit of a "dispute" with them. 

The tetradrachm is for a customer of mine. I buy such types specifically as a service. I still had some room for improvement in terms of price. The 500 pounds with fees is rather a good price - I thought I had to pay more.

But I have to be honest. I don't know if I wouldn't rather keep them myself. It has such a beautiful unbroken back.

• Like 1

Sold to buy NewStyles

Seleukos ll Kallinikos 246-226 BC Tetradrachm

obs-diademed head of Seleukos ll
SC 689.10
27mm 16.9g
rev- Apollo nude facing L, testing arrow & leaning on tripod
ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ
control marks: inverted Ω over P outer Left field
mint of Antioch on the Orontes 

BOTH_KALLINIKOS.jpg

• Like 8

Bought for a song on eBay  Sold to fund NewStyles

Alexander l Balas Tetradrachm 147/6 BC 

Obv : Diademed head of Alexander l Balas in reeded border
30.5 mm 16.25gm SC 1784.8i,
Antioch on the Orontes mint
Rev: Nike offering wreath to Zeus seated left
ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΥ ΘΕΟΠΑΤΟΡΟΣ ΕΥΕΡΓΕΤΟΥ
Theta within Delta monogram inner LF
Exergue : 166 ( SE date = 147/6 BC) Φ 

BOTH_ALLY_BALLY.jpg

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

With Heritage you have a completely free hand. I don't buy anything there anymore. They once shipped me from the Netherlands to Germany for a 25 euro coin for 70 euros. And I had a bit of a "dispute" with them. 

The tetradrachm is for a customer of mine. I buy such types specifically as a service. I still had some room for improvement in terms of price. The 500 pounds with fees is rather a good price - I thought I had to pay more.

But I have to be honest. I don't know if I wouldn't rather keep them myself. It has such a beautiful unbroken back.

It is nice, but also one of the most common Antiochus out there in a similar state of preservation , hence my limit was $700 all in

• Like 1

This post has been flooded with Grypos, so I’m going to add mine to the mess 😉

0B0EB8B9-38E5-420B-83A7-19020D569B4E.jpeg.5829385b849a935408b21a9705662699.jpeg

Seleukid Empire, Antiochos VIII Epiphanes (Grypos) AR Tetradrachm. Antioch on the Orontes, circa 121-114 BC.
16.34g, 27mm, 12h.

Obv. Diademed head to right / ΒAΣΙΛEΩΣ ΑNTIOXOY EΠIΦANOYΣ,

Rev. Zeus Ouranios, draped, standing facing, head to left, holding star in outstretched hand and long sceptre; crescent above, IE over A in left field, O in inner right field; all within laurel wreath border.  

• Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 1

Ar Drachm of Antiochos VI Dionysos Antioch 143-142 BC Obv Head right radiate Rv Apollos seated left on omphalos holding arrow. SC 2002/2b HGC 1036a  4.07 grms 17 mm Photo by W. HansenSKantiochosVI-3.jpg.6fd8ef216b40349a768d984d34e15dc5.jpgI suspect the radiate diadem is an attempt to link this individual to the god Helios perhaps suggesting the dawn of a new era. Despite this Antiochos VI never really ruled instead he was the puppet of the General Tryphon who may have eventually had him killed.  

• Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

image.png.45792ddaeb109e5b2f31dcaa834f6403.png

ANTIOCHUS I, SOTER AS SENIOR MONARCH, 280-261 BCE)
UNCERTAIN MINT 22, COINING FOR EDESSA & ANTHEMOUS, ca 280-261 BCE

Æ Denomination B (Double)
Size: 17 mm
Weight: 6.5 g
Die Axis: 09:30
Broucheion Collection S-2003-09-09.001

OBV: Athena head wearing Corinthian helmet, facing right. Plain border.
REV: Trophy of arms. Control ΑΟ monogram in lower right field. Legend reading downwards: [Β]ΑΣΙΛΕ[ΩΣ] [Α]ΝΤΙΟΧ[ΟΥ]. Plain border.
■ Refs: SC-361.3c Denomination B: (15-19 mm, 4.75-7.47 g) see https://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.361.3c ; WSM 799; HGC 9, 150.

From Houghton & Lorber: "Newell attributed Athena/trophy bronzes to Edessa (in Aramaic Orhai, modern Urfa). He interpreted the letters EΔE on WSM 797 as a mintmark, citing provenances and the fact that these letters do not seem to fit in the lexicon of Greek personal names. A new coin has recently come to light with the letters ANΘ in the same position (cat No 361.1). Probably this legend refers to the military colony of Anthemous/Anthemusia, located between Edessa and the River Euphrates. As Newell observed, a mint inscription is quite exceptional for this early period, and it is even more remarkable to encounter two such inscriptions on a single coinage. Edessa, the more important of these cities, may have minted for the account of Anthemous, though other arrangements can be imagined. Distinguishing features of the Athena/trophy bronzes include dumpy flans, strongly concave reverses, and variations in epigraphy and the disposition of the legend. Provenances reflect a broad area of dispersion, from northeast Syria to Lebanon and Israel. The southernmost finds may signal that these bronzes traveled south with a military expedition, perhaps when Antiochus I captured Damascus, perhaps in the Fifth Syrian War (implying reattribution to Antiochus III)."

- Broucheion

• Like 5

Seleukid Empire. Antiochus II, 261-246 BC. AR Tetradrachm (27mm, 17.19g, 4h). Alexandria in Aria (Artacoana) mint. Obv: Diademed head of Antiochus I right. Rx: Apollo, slight seated left on omphalos, monograms to either side and below. Ref: SC 612.10; Ehling-22-23; Houghton-1277 (same dies). Very Fine for issue. Ex Harlan J Berk 77 (16 June 1993), Lot 160. Ex Harlan J Berk 219 (07 May 2022), Lot 187. Berk note: Lorber and Houghton note on p. 213 of SC that the dies of this very scarce issue are "often very worn." Said to have been found in Afghanistan. This coin is only known struck from this single and very worn obverse die. 

image.jpeg.5ac10565dc0c78f1673302e755378c5f.jpeg

• Like 5