Jump to content

Looks tooled to me


Recommended Posts

This coin was auctioned at NAC 52 in 2009:

image.png.22edc4145651d60965b63b72464cefb8.png

The description notes "... traces of tooling..." -- an understatement, in my opinion -- but at least NAC noted this.  Aureo Calico failed to note this, which is at best negligent and more likely, purposely deceptive.  I would not bid on any of their coins.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

This coin was auctioned at NAC 52 in 2009:

image.png.22edc4145651d60965b63b72464cefb8.png

The description notes "... traces of tooling..." -- an understatement, in my opinion -- but at least NAC noted this.  Aureo Calico failed to note this, which is at best negligent and more likely, purposely deceptive.  I would not bid on any of their coins.

Can't believe it hammered for 800 CHF.

  • Like 2
  • Shock 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, idesofmarch01 said:

This coin was auctioned at NAC 52 in 2009:

image.png.22edc4145651d60965b63b72464cefb8.png

The description notes "... traces of tooling..." -- an understatement, in my opinion -- but at least NAC noted this.  Aureo Calico failed to note this, which is at best negligent and more likely, purposely deceptive.  I would not bid on any of their coins.

I’m surprised they were willing to list it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I would certainly not use the words "traces of tooling" to describe the desecration of this coin. It brings to mind the saying, " Well aside from that incident, Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The coin is definitely tooled - the lines of the veil appear too crudely executed on that coin for sure. I'm also shocked it hammered at 800 CHF back in 2009 (before the recent craze driving prices bananas) - yikes! I am curious to see what price they will unload it this time around, if it is indeed in the process of being auctioned off.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

In the description,  "campos repasados" means just tooled.

Interesting. I don't speak much Spanish. I plugged "campos repasados" into the Google search Spanish-to-English translator, and the result was "fields reviewed", which seems like it could mean "fields tooled" or "fields smoothed". Perhaps the Google search Spanish-to-English translator is not very accurate, for numismatic phrases.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sand said:

Interesting. I don't speak much Spanish. I plugged "campos repasados" into the Google search Spanish-to-English translator, and the result was "fields reviewed", which seems like it could mean "fields tooled" or "fields smoothed". Perhaps the Google search Spanish-to-English translator is not very accurate, for numismatic phrases.

A more apt translation to English would be: 'reworked fields'.   

Las monedas repasadas = 'reworked coins'.

 

 

Edited by Herodotus
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

A more apt translation to English would be: 'reworked fields'.   

Even if this translation is accurate, it's the devices that have been reworked, not the fields.

Note that the NAC description uses "surface" and not "fields" or "devices."  I assume that they used this much more general term to avoid passing judgment about the areas that may have been tooled.

Also, given the difficulties of translation, I think that a scrupulously honest dealer or auction house would include the universally used English word "tooled" rather than a Spanish phrase that can be loosely translated in a number of different ways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, idesofmarch01 said:

I think that a scrupulously honest dealer or auction house would include the universally used English word "tooled" rather than a Spanish phrase

Not sure of that. Many serious European Auctions Houses do not translate their description in English. So every collectors should learn terms like « repasados », « geglättet und bearbeitet » or « retravaillé » if they want to buy coins from foreign dealers…

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...