WORLD COINS free-for-all - anything and everything, post 'em up!

CPK

• 2 weeks later...

Now a specimen that a little rough.... well you be too if you were one of 130,000 minted on a Tuesday and 2/3 's if not more were melted down on Wednesday! More or less... and the same for the 1853 O no arrows coins.

160,000 1853 O minted most melted down . ...within days of leaving the coining chamber.

So both P &O 1853 no arrows are key coins in the seated half dimes series.

Obtaining as well finding a specimen in any grade is like a needle in the hay stack. 

As many would hard pass this due to the condition.  However my response is show me another??? Equal to or better ...factor in survival rate, as well pop on graded specimens and you learn quickly a bird in the hand....  I do have a high grade f in my set 1837-1873 of the no arrows 53 P . 

s-l1600-5.png

s-l1600-4.png

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Paddy54 said:

Now a specimen that a little rough.... well you be too if you were one of 130,000 minted on a Tuesday and 2/3 's if not more were melted down on Wednesday! More or less... and the same for the 1853 O no arrows coins.

160,000 1853 O minted most melted down . ...within days of leaving the coining chamber.

So both P &O 1853 no arrows are key coins in the seated half dimes series.

Obtaining as well finding a specimen in any grade is like a needle in the hay stack. 

As many would hard pass this due to the condition.  However my response is show me another??? Equal to or better ...factor in survival rate, as well pop on graded specimens and you learn quickly a bird in the hand....  I do have a high grade f in my set 1837-1873 of the no arrows 53 P . 

s-l1600-5.png

s-l1600-4.png

Hey, by ancient standards that's still in great condition! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Islamic AE Fals 21mm, 4.06g
Seljuqs of Rum, Kaykhusraw II b. Kayqubad. 1236-1245, Album 1220
Left image, the Kalima reads; "there is no god but / Allah; Muhammad / is the apostle of Allah"
Right image reads; "the sultan the very great / Kaykhusraw / bin Kayqubad"

Ghiyath al-Din Kaykhusraw ibn Kayqubād or Kaykhusraw II was the sultan of the Seljuqs of Rûm from 1237 until his death in 1246. He ruled at the time of the Babai uprising and the Mongol invasion of Anatolia. He led the Seljuq army with its Christian allies at the Battle of Köse Dağ in 1243.

20230629_151251 (2)-side.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Most would  not know that this is actually a ddo as well a ddr....most wouldnt know but this is a two fer as well a pretty 110 year old coin. 1913 ty 1 ddo 002 ddr 002

This specimen is featured in " CONECA "  Error Scope Magazine Fall 23.

s-l1600-4-01.jpeg

s-l1600-5-01.jpeg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 7

• Benefactor

This is not a world coin, but I though I'd post it here because: 1) I recently photographed it; and 2) it has acquired a nice tone over the years on both sides since it was cleaned.  It arrived in that condition.

United States, trade dollar, 1875 CC, Type 1.

27.18 grams

D-CameraUnitedStatestradedollar1875CCType127.18grams7-24-23.jpg.38e8ab7c4543b3b0c807c6a31694f673.jpg

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• 3 weeks later...

Queen Elizabeth I Groat 1560-1561. Never really liked collecting English hammered coins mainly because they are quite expensive, often damaged or have worn away portraits. But they are quite special when they are in decent shape and have full portraits. Idk if I should bother sending it off to grade because of the scratches.

96C4362F-8A3F-42FE-9B98-03232543EB80.jpeg

6E77BB6E-9935-49B3-BF1F-3FCDF656A0E4.jpeg

• Like 9

Hey folks wanted to share this award for articles I written for Error Scope Magazine.  Error Scope is a magazine published by Coneca six times a year.  The club is all about error and varitey coins.....not just U.S. but coins in general. I am sure that there are both Acients, & World, coins in your collections that exhibit some very cool errors and or variety specimens.

I highly recommend that you look into joining , share your discovies, passion and knowledge with others whom share the same.

I am very proud to have recieved this award now 3 years in a row. 

As well proud of the membership at Coneca to keep us all educated in new finds and discovies.  And fueling the passion that drives  us collectors .

I invite you all to join and share your passion....as well your knowledge to better us all.

Tell them Paddy sent ya....  wink wink!

Who know's your name maybe next in print to a fantastic write up.

20230819_160648.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 4
  • Clap 3

36 minutes ago, Paddy54 said:

Hey folks wanted to share this award for articles I written for Error Scope Magazine.  Error Scope is a magazine published by Coneca six times a year.  The club is all about error and varitey coins.....not just U.S. but coins in general. I am sure that there are both Acients, & World, coins in your collections that exhibit some very cool errors and or variety specimens.

I highly recommend that you look into joining , share your discovies, passion and knowledge with others whom share the same.

I am very proud to have recieved this award now 3 years in a row. 

As well proud of the membership at Coneca to keep us all educated in new finds and discovies.  And fueling the passion that drives  us collectors .

I invite you all to join and share your passion....as well your knowledge to better us all.

Tell them Paddy sent ya....  wink wink!

Who know's your name maybe next in print to a fantastic write up.

20230819_160648.jpg

That's awesome! Congrats on your third award, well-earned I'm sure!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Put this together this afternoon. I've had the coin for awhile, but it was past time to update the photos and composition.

These early pennies are so small and thin! You could almost get a paper cut from them. I guess I'm too used to thick chunky ancients. 🙂 

Future poet and playwright William Shakespeare married Ann Hathaway the year this coin was struck. Also, the Douay-Rheims Bible was first published in 1582.

ElizabethI1582penny.jpg.4ecbc6560e327df4f157f6de1890e2a4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 1

Completely different is this gold jeton minted on the occasion of Brussels (capital of Belgium) Millenium. It's a private jeton, not an official issue. It's the size, weight and fineness of a gold 20 francs, and guess what, it was a gift from.... my mother in law (yes, you read correctly !!!

BE-Bruxella1000b.jpg.36b30db1c861720d9c9ec11bd61f0be7.jpg

Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 5

Here's an unappetizing crown-sized silver 20 qirsh from Egypt - I really like these, with visions of wages paid to the guys digging up King Tut and poet C. P. Cavafy strolling the boulevards of Alexandria.  This one has seen a lot of wear, and the reason I bought it was that it was mis-described and went for $10.50, which is under melt value.  

Anyway, as it turns out, it is a rather scarce date/mint mark combination - the Berlin mint apparently lost the Egyptian contract to mint coins that year, and so only 50,000 were minted with the W mint mark (see notes below).  The bulk of that year's coins were minted at the British Heaton mint (425,000)

What is interesting from a coin market perspective is that the two mintmarks minted for 1293 year 29 are the same price in lower grades (based on NGC information:  https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/egypt-20-qirsh-km-296-1293-10-1293-33-cuid-1046909-duid-1240915 ).  I wonder what a US Morgan dollar with a 50,000 mintage figure would go for?  

Egypt-20qirshyear29wJuly2023(0).jpg.9ec1dea9fdc8bfa1158bc34c9ca369e9.jpg

Egypt 20 Qirsh Abdul Hamid II (1876-1909) AH 1293 (1876) Year 29 (1903) Berlin Mint (mintage 50,000) Tughra above denomination and wreath, ٢٠ ش  | W below / ٢٩ | ي رب فض | ر مص | ١٢٩٣ within wreath KM 296. (27.24 grams / 39 mm) eBay July 2023 $10.50

Notes:  "The initial W stands for the designer Emil Weigand at the Berlin Mint. During the regnal year 29 (=1903/04) the Cairo government switched from the Berlin mint to the Heaton Mint in Birmingham, indicated by the letter H instead of W.  All silver coins (1, 2, 5, 10, 20 qirsh) were struck at both mints in the regnal year 29..."  Stephen Album

• Like 10

Apparently a lot of these were used in Britain, presumably because there was a shortage of copper coins.

County of Zeeland Duit, 1740
image.png.dbe2cabe82172dc35bcf4db014166e09.png
Middelburg, Netherlands. Copper, 22mm, 2.35g. ZEE / LAN / DIA; mintmark above flanked by a star on each side ; 1740. Crowned arms of Zeeland; LUCTOR ET EMERGO (I struggle and overcome) (KM 81). Found in Southwold, Suffolk.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...