My Denarii are Going to a New Home and I’m Flipping Out!

LONGINUS

• Benefactor

Sorry — I couldn’t resist a little clickbait  🤡 !

My top 40 denarii collection are going into brand new, archival, 2 by 2 inch coin flips and

the first real coin storage box that I’ve purchased for my collection.

image.jpeg.39e358c0b61664c4451b96a86a248f6f.jpeg

image.jpeg.78ea0330a60ee788443a6923a87e8a08.jpegimage.jpeg.01b7fe7d0a921229369b198e15b5cbef.jpeg

I’ve only flipped and labeled 40 or so coins but I now have a better appreciation for the work such a project entails!

I salute all veteran flippers who have prepared large collections in this manner

🪖 🎖️ !

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 25
  • Smile 2
  • Cookie 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

• Benefactor
59 minutes ago, Etcherdude said:

What’s the Speedball brayer for @LONGINUS?

I’m sorry I didn’t show a photo of how I use the Speedball brayer, @Etcherdude

My favorite color printing paper can only be printed on one side so I use a peel and stick—double sided adhesive to adhere the front and back labels. I use the rubber roller for good adhesion.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 1

I've got a label printer that works great for one-off 2x2 labels. All of my coins are in flips, and I include full obverse/reverse descriptions, along with measurement, weight, references, and provenance (if any). It is very time-consuming indeed to do a whole collection at once! That's why I like this printer so much. I can do each coin as it comes in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CPK said:

I've got a label printer that works great for one-off 2x2 labels. All of my coins are in flips, and I include full obverse/reverse descriptions, along with measurement, weight, references, and provenance (if any). It is very time-consuming indeed to do a whole collection at once! That's why I like this printer so much. I can do each coin as it comes in.

I like this all on a flip but how do you fit it all? 
I have the information in my digital database. All I have room for in my 2x2 is the obverse/reverse description and I'm printing at like 6pt font.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Furryfrog02 said:

I like this all on a flip but how do you fit it all? 
I have the information in my digital database. All I have room for in my 2x2 is the obverse/reverse description and I'm printing at like 6pt font.

The font is small, there's no way to avoid that. But the printer I bought came with software that makes it easier. You can set the boundaries and then it will size the text to fit. I usually make the title larger font and I'll size the measurements, weight, references, and provenance down. Here is a screenshot of how it looks on my computer:

277154872_Screenshot2022-09-13211010.png.8eb1319afaa63835aab4cf8d1980b8c7.png

I still have to trim the label down just a bit, but otherwise it fits nicely on the 2x2 cardstock pieces I cut out with a paper cutter.

Here is a picture of a label in the flip. On this coin I also wrote and printed a few paragraphs of historical information and put it on the back of the paper - it's small but easily readable, for me anyway. As you can see the print quality is surprisingly good for what it is, even at such small font -

20220725_212614.jpg.c46dea7516e2a206fa3885f3df94c31d.jpg

20220725_212626.jpg.e188254c628af7f66aa71ee915f6b206.jpg

Here is a picture of one I just did a few hours ago. This coin came in the mail today - a very nice little Australian 3 pence:

20220913_210655.jpg.11a8e36014e3ee0eaa166036671e4145.jpg

As you can see I have a standard format which I use more or less consistently. 

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1

8 hours ago, CPK said:

Here is a picture of one I just did a few hours ago. This coin came in the mail today - a very nice little Australian 3 pence:

14 hours ago, LONGINUS said:

I’ve only flipped and labeled 40 or so coins but I now have a better appreciation for the work such a project entails!

Fantastic - fantastic - absolut fantastic! Great work. Very inspiring. Looks great. Thank you for your pictures.

12 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

I think many dealers and some auction houses could learn from this 😂

Äääähm... NO! 😛

I don't feel like moving to my business account here for the single answer now. Therefore, you will get the answer from my private account.

No! Why? What do you get out of it as a customer? Apart from the fact that it is simply a waste, since 3/4 of the customers transfer the coins into their own system - and you then waste money and energy unnecessarily.

But I understand what you mean - it looks high-quality and classy.

But be sure - this has more disadvantages than advantages for you as a customer. I intentionally (!) ship in old used flips. My boxes are amateurishly folded together. The packaging is cheap and plain. 

a) If you send a coin in extremely high quality, it is only an incentive for thieves that it must be something very exclusive.

b) Especially if we do not ship within the EU or Germany. If the package has to be opened at customs. A business friend of mine has already had two cases where the enclosed invoice was not believed as far as the customs value was concerned. The coin is beautifully packaged - very noble - with certificate. What - it is declared at 70 euros? That can't be. It must be worth more. Someone wants to cheat the customs value. And then the trouble starts with the proofs and until you have the coin - it takes a long time.

No. My coins simply go to my customers. Admittedly beautiful packaging has no advantages - if the coin is stolen or there is trouble at customs. It's better to get them to the customers safely and quickly - they get more out of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Fantastic - fantastic - absolut fantastic! Great work. Very inspiring. Looks great. Thank you for your pictures.

Äääähm... NO! 😛

I don't feel like moving to my business account here for the single answer now. Therefore, you will get the answer from my private account.

No! Why? What do you get out of it as a customer? Apart from the fact that it is simply a waste, since 3/4 of the customers transfer the coins into their own system - and you then waste money and energy unnecessarily.

But I understand what you mean - it looks high-quality and classy.

But be sure - this has more disadvantages than advantages for you as a customer. I intentionally (!) ship in old used flips. My boxes are amateurishly folded together. The packaging is cheap and plain. 

a) If you send a coin in extremely high quality, it is only an incentive for thieves that it must be something very exclusive.

b) Especially if we do not ship within the EU or Germany. If the package has to be opened at customs. A business friend of mine has already had two cases where the enclosed invoice was not believed as far as the customs value was concerned. The coin is beautifully packaged - very noble - with certificate. What - it is declared at 70 euros? That can't be. It must be worth more. Someone wants to cheat the customs value. And then the trouble starts with the proofs and until you have the coin - it takes a long time.

No. My coins simply go to my customers. Admittedly beautiful packaging has no advantages - if the coin is stolen or there is trouble at customs. It's better to get them to the customers safely and quickly - they get more out of it.

At least, though, the insert is easier to keep (for provenance) and understand (no need to be Alan Turing) than what some dealers provide - nothing, or an invoice with minimal description.

Edited by John Conduitt

• Benefactor
12 hours ago, CPK said:

...the print quality is surprisingly good for what it is, even at such small font...I have a standard format which I use more or less consistently. 

I think your labels and flips look great, @CPK. The text is very clean, sharp, and easy to read and I really like the type font you’ve selected.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LONGINUS said:

My favorite color printing paper can only be printed on one side so I use a peel and stick—double sided adhesive to adhere the front and back labels. I use the rubber roller for good adhesion.

I wonder if the adhesive is archival quality. Over time, chemicals can degrade the surfaces of coins. I have had denarii turn darker and darker. I have not heard of any adhesive used in the context of long term preservation. I recommend printing the front and back labels side-by-side and not cutting between them, rather folding along the line. So, in the example below (I am recommending the orientation, not the appearance or content), cut along the middle lines making four flip inserts.  Fold along the remaining vertical lines. Now the back and front will be aligned without adhesive.

FlipInserts.jpg.4c311aef771ac8573d53cf6a706cb648.jpg

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, LONGINUS said:

The dry adhesive that I use is the same acid free archival material that we used at NASA Headquarters, Washington, DC for framing and preserving historical documents.

Okay! That sounds good enough! Thanks for letting us know. If it is commercially available, what is the name of the product? 

• Like 2

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Valentinian said:

Okay! That sounds good enough! Thanks for letting us know. If it is commercially available, what is the name of the product? 

We purchased ours from a Federal Government supplier in 32 by 40 inch sheets and in 100 foot rolls. It’s produced by the MACTAC company but similar products are available for hobby use from https://www.dickblick.com/products/grafix-double-tack-mounting-film/

My personal supply came from the scrap bin at my office 🏢

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 1