Alphabet game GAME OVER

expat

58 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

It might be made harder because F was not really used in ancient  Greece, so that section can't weigh in here.

I know there were exceptions, digamma etc, but...

This list of many many ancient Greek  cities doesn't have any beginning with F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ancient_Greek_cities#F

Doesn't have to be just a country. Anything to do with F is good. For example

Fates - Alternative name given to the Moirai, the three daughters of Nyx, Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos who managed the lifespan of man. 

Flora - Roman equivalent of the Oceanid Chloris, Greek goddess of Flowers and wife of the Roman Zephyrus. 

Furies - Alternative name given to the Erinyes, three goddesses born to Gaia from the blood of Ouranos. The Greek goddesses of vengeance.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Yep, was just about F in general. 
I nearly did the Italian spelling of the engraver Phrgillos which starts with an F but thought I’’d be shot down!

You wouldn't have been shot down, not by me anyway. I love seeing your coins. And as a collector of Greek coins also, F was always going to be a problem. I had to resort to a female carrying a fish, so not very scientific.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, expat said:

Furies

that reminded me of 

Furia Sabinia Tranquillina

normal_Tranquillina_1.jpg.d56896686a9d1c106ec3eac3634111d3.jpg

Alexandria
Billon-Tetradrachm
Obv.: CAB TPANKVΛΛEINA CEB, diademed, draped bust right
Rev.: Eagle standing left, L-S= Year 6 = (242/243)
12,47g, 23mm
Ref.: Geißen 2685, Dattari 4848

• Like 9

Hi All,

F is not for Pharos -- though it's here too -- but for Faustina, the younger.

image.png.d6969a718c2a06357c6dd3ad6d696ecc.png

FAUSTINA THE YOUNGER (UNDER ANTONINUS PIUS)
ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT Year 12 (148/149 CE)

Æ Drachm

Size: 34 mm
Weight: 23.6 g
Axis: 0

Obv: Faustina draped bust facing right. Legend: xxx - ΦAVCTINA. Border not visible.
Rev: Isis Pharia standing right, holding a billowing sail. Pharos lighthouse with stairs before her. Legend starts at 7:00 position: [LΔ] - ωΔЄ - KATOY. Dotted border.
Refs: Emmett-1989.12; Geissen-Unlisted; Dattari-Savio-3289 & 9114; Milne-2009; BMC-1338.
Provenance: Bought from eBay but flipped, Ex-HA Auctions.
Broucheion Collection R-2015-11-13.001

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
Image problem
  • Like 8

This is a bad picture of a coin of Florian - RIC 61:

spacer.png

Moneyer: M. Fannius & L. Critonius
Coin: Silver Denarius
AED . PL - Head of Ceres right
PA - The two aediles, M. Fannius and L. Critonius, seated right on subsellium, ear of corn before
Exergue: M. FAN . L . CR
Mint: Rome (86 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.60g / 20mm / 5h
References:
  • RSC 1 (Critonia)
  • Sydenham 717a
  • Crawford 351/1
Provenances:
  • Andrew McCabe
Acquisition: Roma Numismatics Vcoins 24-May-2012

spacer.png

Fonteia (& Didia) - Cr. 429/2a:

spacer.png

Fabia - Cr. 371/1:

spacer.png

Fausta - RIC VII Treveri 483:

spacer.png

France - an Ecu:

spacer.png

Francisco Franco:

spacer.png

Francis, Year IX:

spacer.png

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 11

F = Faustina848204013_fau_sestertius(1).jpg.d005b824f9809670090162e107f8a757.jpg

Diva Faustina Senior. Æ Sestertius (32mm, 21.19 g.)
Rome mint, struck under Antoninus Pius, circa AD 146-161.
Obv. DIVA FAVSTINA draped bust right.
Rev. AETERNITAS S-C seated left, holding scepter and globe surmounted by phoenix....RICIII #1103 (Antoninus Pius)
Reddish-brown patina.

• Like 9

Ok........."G"

I think there will be some interesting coins with this letter!

1258289047_normal_gaius_caesar(1).jpg.ee4d5c718e3d8052cdffe132d1c850e4.jpg

Phrygia, Laodikeia. Gaius Caesar, grandson of Augustus. AE 15mm (3.53 gm). Struck circa 5 AD under the magistrate Antonius Polemon Philopatris.
Obv.: ΓΑΙΟΣ ΚΑΙΣΑΡ (GAIOS KAISAR), bare head right.
Rev.: Eagle with spread wings between two monograms ΠΟΛΕ (left),ΦΙΛΟΠΑΤ (right),("Polemon" and "Philopatris"). ΛΑΟΔΙΚΕΩΝ (LAODIKEON) below. RPC I 2900; BMC 154. VF

• Like 9
  • Yes 1

G for Gela.

Sicily, Gela, c. 420-415 BC. AR Tetradrachm (24mm, 16.65g, 3h). Charioteer driving walking quadriga l.; above, Nike flying r., crowning charioteer; in exergue, lizard l., about to catch fly (all very well but not so much on this coin!). R/ Forepart of man-headed bull l. within incuse circle. SNG ANS 91; HGC 2, 355

The man-headed bull is likely the personification of the river Gelas, where the city Gela stood. It was mentioned by Virgil (Aen. 3, 702) as 'immanisque Gela fluvii cognomine dicta' (and Gela called by the nickname of its monstrous stream).

z2a4ak3e93jibc6c8bhpj27grkn5s7_orig.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

G is for Glykon and Gordian!

[IMG]
Gordian III, AD 238-244.
Roman provincial Æ 27.1 mm, 12.33 g, 9 h.
Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum, Sabinius Modestus, legatus consularis, AD 241-244.
Obv: ΑVΤ Κ Μ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: ΥΠ CΑΒ ΜΟΔЄCΤΟV ΝΙΚΟΠΟΛЄΙΤ | ΩN ΠPOC ICTP, Nimbate figure of snake-god Glycon, coiled in two coils, rising up, head right.
Refs: RPC VII.2, 1307; Hristova/Hoeft/Jekov (2018) 8.36.22.4 (same dies); Varbanov 4146; Moushmov 1488; Mionnet Suppl. 2, 708; AMNG 2104 var.; BMC --; Lindgren --; Sear --.

• Like 9

Hi All,

Here's G for Gaza, under the Ptolemies.

image.png.4ca6f3df2e648b3ac928071a8305f309.png

PTOLEMY II PHILADELPHOS (285-246 BCE), PHOENICIA, GAZA
Ar STATER (TETRADRACHM), Year ΚΗ (28) = 258/257 BCE

Size: 27 mm
Weight: 11.17 g
Die Axis: 11:00
Broucheion Collection P-1999-04-13.001

Obv: Ptolemy I head facing right, wearing diadem and scaly aegis tied by snakes. Dotted border.
Rev: Εagle on thunderbolt facing left, wings closed. In left field: ΓPΑΔ monogram (guide dots only)above ΦΑ; in right field: ΚΗ above Λ. Dotted border. Legend to left: ΠΤΟΛΕΜΑΙΟΥ; to right: ΣΩΤΗΡΟΣ. Dotted border.
Refs: Lorber CPE-682, which notes this specimen with only guide dots cut for the Gaza monogram. This type also known with obverse die link to CPE-684.

Note from O Hoover [The Dated Coinage of Gaza in Historical Context (264/3 BC - AD 241/2) SNR, vol 86, 2007]: “No coinage appears to have been struck by the city following the Macedonian conquest, but during the long Ptolemaic domination of Coele Syria (281-198 BCE), the mint of Gaza struck coins (octadrachms, tetradrachms, and bronzes) under Ptolemy II Philopator (281-246 BCE) and Ptolemy III Euergetes (246-222 BCE). The regnal years 25 (262/1 BCE), 28-33 (259/8-254/3 BCE), and 36-38 (251/0-249/8 BCE) that date the Gazaean silver and the year 29 that dates the gold of Ptolemy II suggest that these coins were produced largely to support military operations against the Seleucids during the Second Syrian War (261-253 BCE), as well as to pay the expenses of the peace agreement that ended the conflict. As part of the settlement, Ptolemy married his daughter, Berenice Syrus, to Antiochus II Theos and sent her to her new husband along with so much gold and silver that she received the popular epithet, Phernophoros ("Dowry-bringer").”

- Broucheion

Edited by Broucheion
Added quotation marks.
  • Like 10

GALBA

normal_Galba_1.jpg.abfabe9e44d77662dae387c90b7c636c.jpg

Galba
Egypt, Alexandria
Billon-Tetradrachme, year2, AD 68-69
Obv.: ΣEPOYI ΓAΛBA AYTO KAIΣ ΣEBA, Laureate head right LB=year2
Rev.: AΛEΞANΔPEA, Draped bust of Alexandria right, wearing elephant's skin; simpulum before.
Billon, 12.79g, 24.3mm
Köln 226; Dattari 301; Milne 348; Emmett 170; RPC I 5341

• Like 11

A happy G couple...759061056_GALVALTOGETHER(2).jpg.7745ab3cc2e4f507d5bd27d9b430fd13.jpg

Galeria Valeria AD 305-311, AE follis of Thessalonica. 27.63mm/ 5.79 grams

Obverse > GAL VALE-RIA AVG, Diademed bust facing, head right, hair weaved in rows and curled around side of head at base of neck, wearing embroidered robes with two necklaces.

Reverse > VENERI V-ICTRICI,Venus standing facing, head left, apple in uplifted right hand, raising drapery over left shoulder with left hand. Star in left field,Gamma in right field.

Mintmark > dot SM dot TS dot. RIC VI #36 Thessalonica ; Officina 3, AD December 308- May 310.

galnew_together.jpg.a45692cf95d6eef21ee54885d4c3a1e4.jpg

Galerius Maximianus as Caesar AE Follis minted 297 AD.

11,46 g. 25 mm.

Obv: GAL VAL MAXIMIANVS NOB CAES. Laureate Head right

Rev: GENIO POPVLI ROMANI/ (crescent)/ D// ANT. Genius standing left, holding cornucopiae and patera.

RIC VI 49b Antioch

From an old collection formed in the 1920s. Ex Münzhandlung Kallai, Vienna.

• Like 9

G... g... g... when I think on G, i get Geta Vibes...

image.jpeg.dfde202e25cacf1d75441c01cad389c0.jpeg

Publius Septimius Geta
Province Bronze of the Roman Imperial period 198/209 AD
Material: AE
Diameter: 27mm
Weight: 12.00g
Mint: Tavium, Galatien
Reference: SNG von Aulock 6253, Very Rare

Obverse: 
Draped, cuirassed and bareheaded bust of Geta facing right. The inscription reads: ΠO C? Γ?TAC KO K?

The inscription can be translated as follows:
ΠO = PO = Poyblius = Publius
C? = SE = Septimios = Septimius
Γ?TAC = GETAS = Geta
KO = KO[MMOΔOC] = COMMODOS = Commodus
K? = K?[CAR] = Caesar / Prince
Publius Septimius Geta Commodus Caesar

Reverse: 
A frontal standing Athena can be seen, her head turned to the left. She holds a spear in her right hand, at her feet is a shield. The Inscription reads: C? TPO TAOVIANΩN

The inscription can be translated as follows:
C? = CΕ[ΒΑCΤΗ] = SEBASTE = Sublime
TPO = ΤΡΟ[ΚΜΩΝ] = TROKMON = Trokmer
TAOVIANΩN = TAOVIANON = Tavium
Exalted (City) Tavium (of the) Trokmer

Comments:
Tavium was an ancient Byzantine city in the eastern part of the Galatia region in central Asia Minor in present-day Turkey. It was the capital of the Trokmer, one of the three Celtic tribes that settled in the 3rd century BC. settled in the region in Asia Minor named after them Galatia. The gods Apollon, Artemis, Athena, Asklepios and Hygieia are still documented for Tavium in numismatic evidence. The deities Aphrodite and Demeter, embossed with the image of Iulia Domna, probably represent the virtues of the empress. (Source: Eva Christof and Gabriele Koiner, An imperial tendril frieze and early to middle Byzantine liturgical equipment from Tavium). Since the exact year the coin was minted is not known, three governors for the province of Galatia can be considered for the period. Lucius Petronius Verus (197-198 AD), Gaius Atticus Norbanus Strabo (198-201 AD) or Publius Caecilius Urbicus Aemilianus (until 208 AD).

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 11

..or should it be Aulus Gabinius...?

image.jpeg.e26f97322dd16a9144adbb4c0cd2f91b.jpeg

Kings of Syria Philip I Philadelphos
Posthumous issue under Roman proconsul Aulus Gabinius
Tetradrachm of the Roman Republic Period 57/55 BC
Material: Silver
Diameter: 25.5mm
Weight: 14.88g
Mint: Antiochia ad Orontem, Syria Phoenice
Reference: Prieur 1, RPC 4124, HGCS. 9/1356, RARE R1

Obverse:
Diademed head of Philip I Philadelphos right.

Reverse:
Zeus Nikephoros (Zeus, the bringer of victory) seated left on throne; monogram (of Gabinius) to inner left, monogram below throne; all within wreath. The Inscription reads: [B]AΣIΛEΩ[Σ] ΦΙΛΙΠΠOY EΠIΦANOVΣ [Φ]IΛAΔΕΛΦO[V] for Basilews Filippou Epifanous Filadelfou (Basileus Philippus Epiphanes Philadelphos).

Comments:
The Romans revived the coinage of King Philip Philadelphos in the 50s BC under the proconsul Aulus Gabinius. Issues were minted with the monograms of Gabinius, Crassus, and Cassius, and then, circa 49/8 BC, the proconsul's monogram was replaced by one standing for either Antioch or 'Autonomous'. Gabinius gained fame as one of Pompey the Great's generals, and in his position as governor of Syria he played an important role in the internecine battles of the Jewish priest-kings, the Hasmoneans.
  • Like 11

...and last. Let us not forget my beloved underrated Emperor Gordianus III.

image.jpeg.ba06a500fb454954f3a878dfe2177244.jpeg

Marcus Antonius Gordianus III
Antoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 240 AD
Material: Silver
Diameter: 22mm
Weight: 5.06g
Mint: Rome
Reference: RIC IV Gordian III 34

Obverse:
Bust of Gordian III, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right. Inscription: IMP CAES M ANT GORDIANVS AVG for Imperator Caesar Marcus Antonius Gordianus Augustus.

Reverse:
Personification of the Aequitas, draped, standing front, head left, holding scales in extended right hand and corncuopiae in left hand. Inscription: AEQVITAS AVG for Aequitas Augusti (Equity of the emperor)
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

image.png.3111b06447039433e4ec3dc4f1863608.png

image.png.a1d010b24a944d6dc44444885b23cd2b.png

Oh! And I would like to sadly remember two of my ex-coins. Two of my most beautiful bronzes that I had - but unfortunately gave away. Dear new owners - if you are reading these lines - congratulations on these bronzes. May they bring you much joy. 

😭😩

Claudius? Nero ? Where is the G...?

Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus

...and now long live dear "G" ... that's all I can show. Up - until the next letter again.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Provincial Gordians

normal_Gordianus_III_1.jpg.d73c0650928e96bbb0ce479aa8e11c46.jpg

Gordianus III (238-244 AD)
Moesia Inferior, Markianopolis
Obv.: AVT K Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ , Laureate bust right
Rev.: ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ, Homonoia ? standing left
AE, 25mm, 10.29g
ex Titiana&Slavey

normal_Gordianus_III_15.jpg.087e06289a38962ed0fcfedc3e3ac883.jpg

Gordian III, (238-244)
Mesopotamia, Carrhae
Obv.: [...] K M ANT ΓOΡΔIANOC CEB, laureate bust right
Rev.: MHTP KOΛ [KAPPHNωN], draped bust of Tyche left, looking at a statue of Aquarius or Marsyas on short pedestal.
[KAPPHNωN from a die match]
AE, 15.09g, 28.1mm
Ref.: BMC 57

normal_Gordianus_III_2.jpg.5eb8c2f8f265ff427591d2e15a07df24.jpg

Moesia Inferior, Callatis, Gordianus III
Æ Pentassarion
Obv.: AVT K Μ ΑΝΤ ΓΟΡΔΙΑΝΟC ΑVΓ / Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
Rev.: KAΛ ΛATI ANΩ N / Legend in four lines within wreath, E in exergue
Æ, 27.4mm, 11.71g
Ref.: Varbanov 367, Moushmov 329

• Like 7
  • Gasp 1