Starting to Collect Julio-Claudian Dynasty 12 emperors

Amarmur

That's a great-looking set @Gavin Richardson and thanks for including the prices and sellers. Interesting to see how prices then compare with now. For the record I am jealous of your JC denarius - that is one that will probably take me a long time (if ever!) to get. Yours is about as nice as a "budget" one gets! 👍

• Like 3

Today I was quite lucky and snagged myself a nice Caligula Lydia provincial coin for 50 euros on vcoins. It is in pretty decent shape and the horse on the back reminds me of when Caligula tried to make his horse a consul in the senate. I'm starting to like the provincial coins a little more than the Roman Imperial ones. Not just because of price even but I think the designs are more interesting. So happy to finally get Caligula, I might want to cut out the 3 emperors who had little impact on history from my collection to save money. Also, do you think this coin is worth cleaning? 

6j6FwB5DD2Eg8tcSMz7cTGn9e3EB4K.jpg

• Like 9

10 hours ago, Amarmur said:

Today I was quite lucky and snagged myself a nice Caligula Lydia provincial coin for 50 euros on vcoins

Nice collectible coin, but this is Gaius Caesar, adoptive son of Augustus

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/3048

Gaius Caesar is as rare as Caligula !

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 3

This one achieved a hammer price of 1000 euros. This is too much, of course, but your 50 are a good price. 

https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/de/single/l30755180?text=gaius caesar tripolis

This one sold for 60 CHF + fees, and your example is better

https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/de/single/l34887162?text=gaius caesar tripolis

Edited by shanxi
  • Shock 1

Oh, you just ordered it.  Don't be surprised if it takes a long time.

Advice from someone who's been collecting for 30 years; you'll regret it if you get rid of that coin.  I myself did not collect the wives or caesars for a long time.  I do now.  Perhaps you could trade it for another 12 caesar, but the other person will probably be getting the best part of the bargain.

You're only out 50 dollars.  Keep the coin and wait and see how your collecting tastes/wants evolve.

• Like 2
  • Yes 2

Also, I generally wouldn't post any coin until you get it, or it's at least on the way. It tends to jinx it, or, if the dealer's made a snafu, then they might cancel the order for whatever reason.

And, don't be surprised if the shipping is super slow.

From someone who would get grotty coins (the Gaius isn't grotty) for a long time (my coin budget wasn't all that great), you'll probably be happier in the long run to slow down your timetable.  Without unnecessarily overspending, get a respectable or nice example of each one. With Caesar, Caligula, Otho and Vitellius, you'll probably have to get a grotty example.  No shame there.

Example; my Trajan Decius Double Sestertius.  I couldn't afford a nice example, even then, so I got a problem one. I think there was corrosion on the face and it looks like the eye is gashed out. Even though it got me in the doo, I semi-regret that one. 

I'd also spend a little money on a guide, like David Van Meter, or even Eric II.  Van Meter is a bit old (1990's), but still a bargain for  $35.

• Like 1

@Nerosmyfavorite68 I am considering canceling my order because I found a rough looking but cheap 45 BC Julius Caesar AE Dupondius do you think I should go for that instead (no portrait unfortunately) or stay patient for more opportunities because Julius Caesar coins tend to sell really fast and for big money. Patience is important in the hobby and I don't want to overspend. I'm celebrating because I recently got a new job so I kind of want to make excuses to treat myself haha

5 hours ago, Amarmur said:

I found a rough looking but cheap 45 BC Julius Caesar AE Dupondius

There are no cheap Julius Caesar coins that are genuine or acceptable. Of course, one would have to define what you mean by cheap.

Could you perhaps show us a picture of the obverse and reverse of Julius Caesar? Then the experts here can tell you whether the coin is kosher or not. If you like.

no portrait unfortunately

That's just a matter of taste. If I had deliberately chosen the 12 Caesars as my collecting area - but of course I am only speaking for myself - then I would have wanted to see the heads of the 12 Caesars (first of all). I deliberately collect the 12 Caesars because I want to see the heads behind them. 

An example:

https://www.ma-shops.de/cgb/item.php?id=228675

This coin is very probably from the time of Nero (or Claudius). This type is cheap to get - even in good condition. But there is no face of Nero to be seen. Should this coin then take the place of Nero? That would not be enough for me. But ok - that's just my opinion. Everybody should decide that for himself. It is not for me to decide. Can only share the opinion from my point of view.

Patience is important in the hobby and I don't want to overspend.

And that is what I think. I would advise you, as an example, instead of buying three coins for 100 USD each - to wait and buy one coin for 300 USD and enjoy it for a long time. Then instead of buying six coins a year, you only buy two or three coins a year.

When I came into contact with the hobby at the age of 20, I made - from my point of view - a big mistake. I bought everything. The coin was from Augustus? Condition? It didn't matter! Bought. Sometime later I proudly went to a coin fair because I thought I might be able to trade coins. But everyone waved me off. Later - when my daughter was born - I wanted to turn my coins into money and went to coin dealers like Lanz and others - and when I opened the drawer - they all laughed and asked me to leave the shop. 

I had spent 3000 German marks on my coins at that time - that was a lot at the age of 20. I had about 100 coins for that money - I don't remember exactly. But although I had spent 3000 DM, the collection was worth next to nothing - I should have collected 10 coins for 3000 DM instead of 100.

Don't get me wrong. My advice is not to "be allowed" to collect only "high grade" coins. But from my point of view, you will give yourself more pleasure - also for the future - if you buy and collect specimens that are still passable. 

But once again with all clarity. I do not have to tell you what to do. It is my opinion alone. 

PS: And really, it's best to show the Caesar to the experts here - another bad purchase will only cost you return costs, time, disappointment and annoyance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

I agree. Keep it. And listen to his tips. Better save some months, then buy a coin you really like. 

Exactly. It's not that we mean any harm. On the contrary. Most of us here have had this experience ourselves. I made the same mistake when I was 20. And even today I get annoyed every now and then about one purchase or another.

image.png.bec8d2fca3d5126f12e5a3ba61e9aea8.png

And then one last one. This has already been mentioned here. Otherwise, you'd better try good coins from the province. Look - this Augustus here (I don't remember the exact price I paid - but I think it was well under 100 euros).

a) You can clearly read Augustus.
b) The typical Augustus head is visible.
c) The most important details and especially the head are very well preserved.

And you can get such provincial coins for good small money. You can recognise the ruler. Most of the legend can be read. Ok... I found the coin quite ok "back then" - some may disagree. But - my opinion - with provincial bronzes / coins you get more for the money than with the city romans mostly.

Only fast - some examples - but only fast...

Augustus 42 EUR
https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/de/single/l34335721 

Tiberius 30 EUR
https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/de/single/l34683176

Nero 50-60 EUR
https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/de/single/l35039353 
https://www.sixbid-coin-archive.com/#/de/single/l35039354 

This are only fast examples... Nero you get wonderful Provencial Coins. 

Oh i see at my archive - I buyed a cheap AE at Roma with Tiberius. Ok ... its a little bit abstract head xD image.png.7ff5942452e18bb644253010aee78157.png

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Augustus above was sold to me, btw. I made a profit there when selling it. Take your time, watch auctions, get a feeling for the prices and then grab it. Like prieure said, it's easy to find examples like the Augustus above. Nice portrait, visible legends - for about 100 bucks. If you buy "crap" (forgive me) you won't sell it easily. Take your time and you will get an affordable, nice coin. 

• Yes 1

1 minute ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

The Augustus above was sold to me, btw. I made a profit there when selling it.

Oh, did I sell it to you?! Yes - it was a nice piece for around 100 euros. A beautiful Augustus head. And why did you get the coin on well? Because it's beautiful - and then you can usually sell or exchange it without a loss. 

3 minutes ago, Mucius Scaevola said:

Nice portrait, visible legends - for about 100 bucks. If you buy "crap" (forgive me) you won't sell it easily. Take your time and you will get an affordable, nice coin. 

👍

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2022 at 3:50 AM, Amarmur said:

Hi my name is Alan and I'm pretty new to ancients. I'm on a relatively small budget but around how much would be a good ball park for each of the first 12 emperors money wise to aim for. I started looking on Vcoins for prices and some are reasonable but I'm not sure its worth the price or to sit on it. From what I see Caligula is the scarcest and hardest one to get of these 12.  Would happily take insight on price ranges for those types of coins. Thanks for the help!

hi Alan,

Welcome to the hobby! Below you may find my current 12 C's set in silver. Except for Otho, I have several coins and of different denominations of each emperor. I've added these 12 to this digital tray, because I believe they have the best portrait (and otherwise because I only own one coin with a portrait on it (Caesar)). It took a while to assemble this set, and I have to throw in quite a bit of the kid's college funds to acquire it. Obviously the portrait coin of Caesar is the most expensive one, and I believe I got the Caligula for a fair price. In comparison to todays fees, the Otho was a bargain, but the Claudius perhaps was a bit too much for the quality. You win some, you loose some... 

It goes without saying that one can acquire the set with lesser spendings. Some advice though, if I may, and it is totally up to you to do with it what you want. Take your time when acquiring a set. Iit's better to save some cash to get a good portrait coin and assemble the set slowly, than racing towards a set you might regret. 

Enjoy the hunt! 

165891317_TwelveCaesars_2.png.f33d7ac552a3c713b49c14786b546659.png

Edited by Limes
  • Like 8
  • Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

5 minutes ago, Limes said:

Below you may find my current 12 C's set in silver.

A great set! 😍Gratulations!

All coins are fine - but I would like to highlight some in particular. Typical Augustus and Tiberius heads - the Nero is fantastic flesh.. great! Thats an Nero! The Domitianus is great clear - and the Titus - typical fantastic face with an very interesting reverse. Cool! Thats a nice example for 12 Caesars. I like it!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Limes said:

hi Alan,

Welcome to the hobby! Below you may find my current 12 C's set in silver. Except for Otho, I have several coins and of different denominations of each emperor. I've added these 12 to this digital tray, because I believe they have the best portrait (and otherwise because I only own one coin with a portrait on it (Caesar)). It took a while to assemble this set, and I have to throw in quite a bit of the kid's college funds to acquire it. Obviously the portrait coin of Caesar is the most expensive one, and I believe I got the Caligula for a fair price. In comparison to todays fees, the Otho was a bargain, but the Claudius perhaps was a bit too much for the quality. You win some, you loose some... 

It goes without saying that one can acquire the set with lesser spendings. Some advice though, if I may, and it is totally up to you to do with it what you want. Take your time when acquiring a set. Iit's better to save some cash to get a good portrait coin and assemble the set slowly, than racing towards a set you might regret. 

Enjoy the hunt! 

165891317_TwelveCaesars_2.png.f33d7ac552a3c713b49c14786b546659.png

Superb set! I particularly like the types chosen...architectural, triumphal, capta, Colosseum related, etc...

Very iconic!

Edited by David Atherton
  • Like 1

I don't take it personally when I'm told I bought a bad coin (tooled Trajan), making mistakes (hopefully small ones) is all part of the hobby. I will probably work on collecting provincial coins for the Julio Claudian dynasty and buy decent coins not slugs. I think for now I will exclude Galba, Oho, and Vitellius.  I think the Nero was a good purchase but for the rest of this year I think I'll save up for a Caligula. As a 25 year old math teacher the prices are daunting and I'm worried prices will get even higher but if I play my cards right I will find coins that I like without jeopardizing my future.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Amarmur said:

I don't take it personally when I'm told I bought a bad coin (tooled Trajan), making mistakes (hopefully small ones) is all part of the hobby. I will probably work on collecting provincial coins for the Julio Claudian dynasty and buy decent coins not slugs. I think for now I will exclude Galba, Oho, and Vitellius.  I think the Nero was a good purchase but for the rest of this year I think I'll save up for a Caligula. As a 25 year old math teacher the prices are daunting and I'm worried prices will get even higher but if I play my cards right I will find coins that I like without jeopardizing my future.

Good plan...and the jury's still out regarding your Trajan sestertius. 😉 I think you did OK. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Amarmur said:

Caligula provincials aren't necessarily expensive at all. Here are a couple of "budget" examples from my own collection.

[IMG]
Caligula, AD 37-41.
Roman provincial Æ 20 mm, 6.74 g.
Peloponnese, Corinthia, Corinth, Ae. P. Vipsanius Agrippa and M. Bellius Proculus, duoviri, AD 37-38.
Obv: C CAESAR AVGVSTV, bare head right.
Rev: M BELLIO PROCVLO IIVIR / COR, Pegasus flying right.
Refs: RPC I 1173; Amandry (1988) XVII; BCD Corinth 405-6.

Calligula and Caesonia.jpg
Calligula AD 37-41
Roman provincial Æ 28 mm, 11.17 gm
Carthago Nova, Spain, AD 37-38
Obv: C. CAESAR AVG. GERMANIC. IMP. P.M. TR.P. COS., laureate head of Caligula, right
Rev: CN. ATEL. FLAC. CN. POM. FLAC. II. VIR. Q.V.I.N.C., head of Salus (some attribute to Caesonia, wife of Calligula) right, SAL AVG across field
Refs: SGI 419; Heiss 272, 35; Cohen 247, 1; RPC 1, 185; SNG Cop 503.

• Like 9
  • Smile 1