Starting to Collect Julio-Claudian Dynasty 12 emperors

Amarmur

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In Regards to Claudius, I've seen a lot of coins with his portrait varying on similar type coins from numisprados. It kind of has me a bit confused on the authenticity because the portraits on the Minerva coins especially are so varied. Honestly, which one looks like Claudius not really too many of them. No clue...

85888F5D-A037-4950-8C96-8788F1364476.jpeg

• Like 5

@Amarmur I agree, Claudius seems to have a lot of variation in portrait style. I tend to prefer (Imperial) ones that highlight what I consider the "classic" Claudius look: the long skinny neck and worried expression. 

Although, I do really like the Claudius portraits on his cistophorii from Ephesus. Here is an example from CNG's website (sold for $27,500 minus fees !)

NOT MY COIN ...like I needed to say that.  🤣

11001014.jpg.e3a0cad3fd11cfb3d58149aea482e263.jpg

Here's another of what I consider a superbly-styled portrait of Claudius, this time an imperial coin:

AGAIN NOT MY COIN

502_mm4aa_c.jpg.aa937e50db829f987603d5905aa89886.jpg

Here it is: Roman Imperial sestertius 42-43 AD. Claudius Nearly extremely fine | MA-Shops

• Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 2

15 hours ago, CPK said:

AGAIN NOT MY COIN

..and i will ask WHY??? Because I can make you an offer - but its not your coin 😞 😄 

15 hours ago, Amarmur said:

numisprados

I never heard any bad about this seller...

15 hours ago, Amarmur said:

It kind of has me a bit confused on the authenticity because the portraits on the Minerva coins especially are so varied.

That could be possible - there are many different mint cities, different mint masters, different types...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I ordered this Claudius for my birthday. I like this portrait a lot. I had a lot of trouble finding a Claudius portrait that actually looks like Claudius. I think this one is pretty nicely done. I don't mind the reverse when the obverse is this stunning.

image.png.46fdcbcee10bc35976da4b3a40bbb4f0.png

• Like 8