Do you use an online collection database?

EtTu

I'm trying to get my collection photographed and organized properly. I would like to have a resource where I can go to see and search my collection online. I know there's galleries like on Forvm Ancient Coins and I know of Colleconline. I'm just wondering if anyone else uses something similar and what you use. Thanks! 

Excel and Word are not suitable for this use, and very quickly limited when you want something a little elaborate. A database, because that's what it is, is done with Access. It is certainly much longer and more complicated to implement, but the result is infinitely better. Better visually, and above all better for the ease of reaching each coin of the database.
Below, an example of what we can have for each coin (among other possibilities, very numerous).

image.png.580028d682f67a7e24de0a88c71e032a.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin said:

Excel and Word are not suitable for this use, and very quickly limited when you want something a little elaborate. A database, because that's what it is, is done with Access. It is certainly much longer and more complicated to implement, but the result is infinitely better. Better visually, and above all better for the ease of reaching each coin of the database.
Below, an example of what we can have for each coin (among other possibilities, very numerous).

image.png.580028d682f67a7e24de0a88c71e032a.png

But he look and ask for an Online Database.

And Colleconline you have the same like a lokal access database. You can save all data like prices, dates, you can upload your invoices, Dokuments, Zertifikates … you can create your own fields. And it’s free from any operating system. If you make an access database over years and switch - for example - from windows to Mac - there is a problem, because there’s no access Mac version. Colleconline you can use on any system… also at Smartphone and Tablet. 

• Like 1

Sorry, I hadn't really integrated the "online". I understand all the possibilities you mention. But I also see the downsides. The question is: do you prefer to be the only one to manage your personal data or are you ready to let them wander outside?

• Like 1

I use Colleconline too, and so far am satisfied with it. Prior to that I had my collection displayed at Forvm (most of it is still there though). The main advantage I see at Colleconline is you can change your picture without rewriting the whole file, or post up to five pictures for the same coin/artifact

Q

There are a lot of great tools out there for storing collections online but the problem I had with them is that the functionality is often very limited. Since you're digitising your collection, it'd make sense to be able to take advantage of that data and use it in different ways, such as: using it to plot your coins on a map, aggregating weights/diameters by different denominations or weight standards, analysing your purchases to see the effects of changing exchange rates or different fees/shipping costs between auction houses add up in the long-run etc, plotting your collecting habits over time, calculating your profit/loss on coins you've bought and then consigned etc.

So for this reason, I did two things: (1) use Google Sheets to track this info and run any analysis I like on the data, and (2) start a website so I could do more complex things and have a way to visualise and share my collection. I disagree strongly with @Alwin when he says "Excel and Word are not suitable for this use" as Excel is perfectly suitable (though I'd recommend Google Sheets instead myself). Microsoft Access of course has some benefits but so does Excel/Sheets and if you're good at spreadsheet tools you can easily create a UI for data entry, enforce database conditions like unique keys, make a "lookup" page for displaying a coin and its info in a nice way, etc and leverage all the spreadsheet functions like historical foreign exchange rates for converting prices to a base currency etc. Google Sheets also has the added benefit of having a version history so you can easily revert to a prior state if you screwed something up.

Though there may come a point where using a proper database is needed, and I'm not saying those cases do not exist, only that the vast majority of people would likely not see much benefit from them. In my case, the problem was keeping the data in my website's database up to date with the data in Google Spreadsheet. So just recently, over this past 2 weeks, I decided to switch to using my website's database as my primary database and to build a UI from scratch so that I can interact with the database more easily:943047423_ScreenShot2022-08-19at13_13_20.png.413f2d22998ed39fa6a696ff98aecd46.png

But this is something that mainly makes sense for someone who has a website like myself because my website's database is the one used by many of my plugins, such as the Ultra Zoom, the coin galleries, the coin map, and my ANS-like user-facing database with filters etc. So having my Google Sheets out of sync with my website would mean my website doesn't have all the information until I sync the two and I'd essentially be managing two separate datasets. The syncing of Google Sheets to my website is a bit of a manual process where it is easy for things to go wrong as well, so it made sense to stick with one primary database linked to my website, the problem was just that there's no good UI for that database and PHP MyAdmin is not a fun way to manage such a database.

• Like 3

• Benefactor

The problem with this topic (as we already see above) is that each person has a different set of needs.  As such many solutions will have aspects some find invaluable and others will find useless.  Explore the options and find what works best for you (though in all likelihood none will be perfect).

For me my needs are simple.  I just want a simple record with the info. that I want.  As such I simply use a Word document.  I know, it isnt easily searched and one cant readily compare data (which I have no need for anyway).  I am just keeping a running tab, add in new entries when needed and in the place needed.  The outcome is kind of like an old fashioned auction catalog or sales booklet.  When the day comes and I sell out I will have it printed and hard bound so I can take it out and reminisce.  This works perfectly for me but will be useless for others.   

Screen Shot 2022-08-19 at 7.40.01 AM.png

• Like 5

Everyone has different needs so my method may not work for everyone… but I keep it simple and just use Gmail. 

For each coin I just compose an email containing all information about the coin, it’s purchase, reference information and examples of like coins found online… and email it to myself. Using email, my collection is searchable, I can add anything I want from pictures to tables, and I can access it anywhere. The drawback is that my information is not available for people to view online, although I could share coins via-email if needed.

Anyway, it’s a simple and flexible solution with no software needed. Works for me… however since I’m the only one with access to the email account, if I am abducted by aliens or hit by a bus… that information is likely not available to anyone at this time. I’ll have to share the account details with the wife!

Edited by Orange Julius
  • Like 1

I don't use an online database, but my setting is closely related and it could be easily uploaded and used independently as a website, as it's written in html.

This is the main stem:

html.jpg.116daf42ee08ff8125f420eba311a7ad.jpg

and this is a further look at the branching out into the 'Crusader...' section:

html1.jpg.17052a1ed428b61b1476e53ed1c9bf90.jpg

and this is how an individual entry on the branch looks like on Feudal France > County of La Marche (as an example):

html2.jpg.3c8e347bd5b1215e9d231455e6e562a8.jpg

Edited by seth77
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KenDorney said:

The problem with this topic (as we already see above) is that each person has a different set of needs.  As such many solutions will have aspects some find invaluable and others will find useless.  Explore the options and find what works best for you (though in all likelihood none will be perfect).

For me my needs are simple.  I just want a simple record with the info. that I want.  As such I simply use a Word document.  I know, it isnt easily searched and one cant readily compare data (which I have no need for anyway).  I am just keeping a running tab, add in new entries when needed and in the place needed.  The outcome is kind of like an old fashioned auction catalog or sales booklet.  When the day comes and I sell out I will have it printed and hard bound so I can take it out and reminisce.  This works perfectly for me but will be useless for others.   

Side note but that's a great Alexander tetradrachm. I love how the sceptre extends so much higher than the dotted border, I don't think I've seen it go that high before. Particularly interesting they'd make it so when it doesn't look like it would fit on the flan if struck perfectly centered. Also interesting that it isn't topped with a lotus flower, which usually a lot of the ones that do extend past the border have.

5 hours ago, KenDorney said:

This is the way i do it too. Work fine for me but i would like to try some other ways like suggested in this thread. 

Thats a great Alexander btw! 

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

Side note but that's a great Alexander tetradrachm. I love how the sceptre extends so much higher than the dotted border, I don't think I've seen it go that high before. Particularly interesting they'd make it so when it doesn't look like it would fit on the flan if struck perfectly centered. Also interesting that it isn't topped with a lotus flower, which usually a lot of the ones that do extend past the border have.

That is one reason why I bought it (along with it being from (about) the year he died and in the same city).  I've often wondered why such dies were made when in most likelihood that element would not make it onto the coin.  I think it also illustrates that some dies were much larger than the planchets they were struck on. 

Edited by KenDorney

• 5 months later...

Reviving this topic.

Over the years I've used many different free online tools.  As an IT applications developer for most of my career, I built various databases and spreadsheets,  and now my primary source of record is a simple Excel spreadsheet with tabs for the collecting area.  Each coin I buy goes into this spreadsheet first before the online catalogs.   Because I embed images, I never sort the list and always add newly acquired coins at the end. 

In addition, I maintain free online catalogs in both CollecOnline and Flickr.  I maintain a Flickr site primarily because I like the way it presents images, but I populate it with pretty much the same information except private data.  This private data, mostly purchase information,  I maintain in CollecOnline and in my master spreadsheet.  I also have a free catalog at Forum but I've pretty much abandoned this in favor of CollecOnline.  I am pretty impressed with free version of CollecOnline.  It really provides me with 99% of my needs.   

A couple of CollecOnline considerations:

The free version of CollecOnline allows only 250 items.  My collection is now approaching that threshold so I will need to consider upgrading to the next level at €5 / month.  This paid level allows 2000 items and had more sophisticated imaging and import and export utilities and that I might use.

If the guys at CollecOnline ever go out of business, I'd likely lose a lot of effort, but I think the risk is minimal.  The site is very professionally done and I think they have a significant clientele (not exclusive of numismatics).

My CollecOnline catalog is here if you want to check it out:  https://www.colleconline.com/en/collections/3939/fugio

And here's a link to my Flickr gallery https://www.flickr.com/photos/51600091@N08

• Benefactor

As someone who has been in the software development industry for some time and manages a development team, I prefer to focus on the simplest mechanism that meets the needs and reduces my time. Therefore, I've found that Excel works for this purpose.

coindb.png.fb51d66e4cdd323345ee278390bd107f.png

The description is the exact text from the seller, while the attribution is what I typically paste into posts here. Purchase information is mostly for my relatives to facilitate the sale of the coins, if they wish, when I am gone (preferably some distant time from now).

My images are in Lightroom and easily searched by name. I also have them on my FlickR site when I need to use them remotely. Again, I can just search for the name.

I also have a website, though I haven't updated it in some time. I am planning to redo it this year, but I'll be judicious in where I make it data driven. The new site will have maps and timelines, and there I suspect I'll save some time. However, the real effort is in writing stories for each coin and in indexing them. I have considered making the indexing data driven, but it's a bit complicated by the fact that the Greeks loved to reuse names. While I could create my own markup to handle the differences, I then am probably not saving myself any time.

11 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

However, the real effort is in writing stories for each coin and in indexing them

Perhaps ChatGPT can help you there:

Tell me briefly about Emperor Carausius, in a conversational tone, and his coins with Pax reverse

Carausius was a Roman general and usurper who declared himself emperor of Britain and northern Gaul in 286 AD. He established his own independent state in the region and minted his own coins. One of the interesting things about his coins is that they often featured the image of Pax, the Roman goddess of peace, on the reverse. This was likely a political statement, as Carausius was able to maintain peace and stability in his territories during his reign. He also improved the infrastructure and fortified the coast against raiders. He was eventually assassinated by his finance minister Allectus in 293 AD and his rule came to an end.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
26 minutes ago, John Conduitt said:

Perhaps ChatGPT can help you there:

Tell me briefly about Emperor Carausius, in a conversational tone, and his coins with Pax reverse

Carausius was a Roman general and usurper who declared himself emperor of Britain and northern Gaul in 286 AD. He established his own independent state in the region and minted his own coins. One of the interesting things about his coins is that they often featured the image of Pax, the Roman goddess of peace, on the reverse. This was likely a political statement, as Carausius was able to maintain peace and stability in his territories during his reign. He also improved the infrastructure and fortified the coast against raiders. He was eventually assassinated by his finance minister Allectus in 293 AD and his rule came to an end.

The thing is, most of my information isn't directly searchable on the web. 🙂

See my Skostokos and Azemilkos entries for an example.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

The thing is, most of my information isn't directly searchable on the web. 🙂

See my Skostokos and Azemilkos entries for an example.

No problem... 🤣

Make up a funny story about the moneyer Skostokos and his friend Ralph.

Once upon a time, there was a moneyer named Skostokos. He was known for his excellent coin-making skills, but he had a bit of a problem: he was always broke. One day, he decided to ask his friend Ralph for a loan.

Ralph, being a kind and generous friend, agreed to lend Skostokos the money. However, he had one condition: Skostokos had to pay him back in coins that he himself had made. Skostokos agreed and set to work on making the coins.

After several weeks, Skostokos had finally made enough coins to pay back Ralph. Excited to finally be out of debt, he went to Ralph's house to repay the loan. But when he got there, he found that Ralph had a surprise for him.

Ralph had decided to open up a coin-themed amusement park, and he wanted Skostokos to be the head moneyer. Skostokos was thrilled at the opportunity, and he immediately agreed.

The amusement park was a huge success, and Skostokos was able to pay back Ralph with interest. The two friends laughed and joked about their coin-making adventures, and they lived happily ever after.

The end.