Your avatar - what? and why?

maridvnvm

I spend more time reading than posting because my ancient coins are general low end and haven't been too active.  I have nice owl, Alex Tet, and mediocre Vespasian Judea Capta, but the rest are ratty Ants, Denarii, and LRB. But I do have most of the RIC volumes along Sear, Van Meter, Vagi, and others.  I got a lot of practice attributing the low end stuff and learned a lot, so I guess the coins were useful after all.

My avatar is Jr Hoopster(#44)LCM_AUMBB_Utica_101_kindlephoto-1306153652.jpg.346cb3705919573e03d5597cfc8ffe56.jpg

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Egry said:

At first all I saw was a Yin Yang, what are they talking about. Then I looked closer, it is not a Yin Yang. It now looks like a straight on of an Orca to me. Are you a psychologist by trade?

Hello @Egry

I'm not a professional psychologist. However, I am interested in psychology, and other things. Are you a psychologist?

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, sand said:

Hello @Egry

I'm not a professional psychologist. However, I am interested in psychology, and other things. Are you a psychologist?

I am not a psychologist but a civil engineer.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 10:31 PM, dougsmit said:

I appreciate the minority who use their name but understand some reasons not to do so.  When I got my first email address, the provider only allowed 8 letters and dougsmith got chopped of its last letter.  Later on, when they changed that rule, another Doug Smith got there first and took the h.  During the heyday of my web pages, he regretted that because people kept sending him coin questions meant for me. 

If your name is relatively common, it can be fun to Google yourself and see how many villains use your name.  Doug Smith number one today is a retire hockey player most noted for having excessive penalty minutes.  I'm amazed that, today, I am half way down on page six of 80 million hits.   I know there are not THAT many of  us.  I have only personally known two others.  I should be glad my parents selected a relatively uncommon first name.  John Smith returns 1.7 billion results.

I do occasionally Google myself and other Keadys - in my early online days, the only Keadys I could find (of any first name) were a mathematician in Australia, an astronomer in the US and a US university basketball coach.   Since everyone in the world acquired an online presence, many more potential long-lost cousins have cropped up - I just searched again and two others  with the same name as me show up.   I see 963 hits for "Aidan Keady" (better to use quotes, otherwise you'll get all pages containing each name, not necessarily next to each other) - all entries on the first two pages refer to me 😮, so I'm not hard to find, but my coins are c/o Sentinel Vaults 😄

ATB,

Aidan.

• Benefactor

Great thread , @maridvnvm

This is probably the longest I’ve gone without changing my avatar. Under my CT name of Deacon Ray, I changed it weekly sometimes daily.

My Numis Forum screen name, LONGINUS, is taken from a legendary Roman soldier in some but not all Bible translations. I decided not to use my Deacon Ray screen name this time.

Anyway, Here are a few of my avatars and selfies used on the CT forum from the last 2 years. 

image.jpeg.2bd4e430c3db3fa854a59c9aa9817f01.jpeg

Edited by LONGINUS
Correcting a typo
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1

47 minutes ago, LONGINUS said:

Great thread , @maridvnvm

This is probably the longest I’ve gone without changing my avatar. Under my CT name of Deacon Ray, I changed it weekly sometimes daily.

My Numis Forum screen name, LONGINUS, is taken from a legendary Roman soldier in some but not all Bible translations. I decided not to use my Deacon Ray screen name this time.

Anyway, Here are a few of my avatars and selfies used on the CT forum from the last 2 years. 

image.jpeg.57e2527fa1b19ca2ae9ecb9ce42fbb7c.jpeg

Hey Deac!  Hope you are well.  Wonderful to see you here!

With your new Avatar Name... I kept subliminally thinking you were one of the Leaders of the Caesar Execution... 😄

image.png.c911ef637ba438510807785c15622690.png

RR Gaius Cassius Longinus & P Corn Lentulus Spinther AR den 42 BCE military mint Brutus Cassius Smyrna Libertas r-  jug & lituus 18mm 3.3g

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1

Well mine was a very cool exonuma  token I found...I always loved Owls...the symbol of wisdom.... not that I'm that wise...lol but this brass token about a quarter in size...is toned so nice I couldn't pass . So the Owl sitting between the swords...I really liked...so it became mine and my avatar. 

I also use this one elsewhere as I am a Ukraine supporter... 

20220330_093217.jpg

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Edited by Paddy54
  • Like 4

This Justinian follis is my avatar. I chose it because I felt it was an excellent representation of my collecting interests at the time. Now of course I still keep an eye out for Byzantine, but I have certainly grown into other areas. If I were to change it, my lifetime Alexander drachm or one of my Chinese ones would be the most likely candidate.BECC7D3C-E605-4918-BA61-B06D70FA3FEC.jpeg.86c81cd4cb309cb0bfa1c05ac26aa6d5.jpeg8C839FCA-0634-4C17-870B-25CC19559A82.jpeg.4e782df13153a191282ca1af0e0c68ac.jpegAn ok combination picture made in a minute.9419D0A7-1E3B-49E3-B51F-70AA5C799A75.jpeg.daf997c2d83adaae9018fa793116e81d.jpeg07E462C0-43F8-441E-A916-4E1F03E85281.jpeg.2b9eeeaa4e8bb996dbd4355aee0b9e95.jpegThe drachm. I love the obverse especially and I’m always happy to show it off

• Like 8

• Benefactor

I forgot to mention why I’m using my current avatar. 

Anyway, the verbiage is self explanatory as far as my collecting focus but the chalice symbolizes the Holy Grail and my interest in holy relics. I’ve always been fascinated with Biblical archeology and the Indiana Jones type character searching for them. I ordered my first ancient coins from a company advertising an authentic Coins of the Holy Land Collection in the back of a Biblical Archeology magazine.

image.jpeg.9cc5221b517bfb7672cc824e1054183f.jpeg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Spirityoda because I like Star Wars.  I also thought it was a name you could remember.  I also have a very large Star Wars action figure collection.  18 large totes full of mint on card figures from 1995-on.

avatar_16284_1643392218 copy.jpeg

feel-the-power copy.jpeg

Edited by Spirityoda
  • Like 4