Your avatar - what? and why?

maridvnvm

My avatar is my company logo, which is derived from the crest that is still on my grandparent's print works in Krakow (the factory is now luxury living spaces, as it is very central, and a Deco building from the early 1930s). It consists of the Lion of Krakow holding a roll of paper, and was likely designed by my grandmother, who did quite a bit of graphic design for my grandfather's firm.

• Like 15

First: I don't know, why I choose my nickname - perhaps one beer too much.
But I never changed it in numismatic forums since 2003 - only adapting to the respective language

When having to choose an avatar I remembered a talk with Andrew Alföldi back in 1979 at the IAS in Princeton (I was his research assistant then), when he told me the story about the constant war of of the Pygmees with the cranes - and the representation of both as symbols on a denarius of Roscius Fabatus.

Regards and nice to meet decent people

Klausimage00794.jpg.22f0c817ce5a119b1ae0821cc86f8c1f.jpg

• Like 19
  • Cookie 1
  • Cool Think 1

Mine is my sole reign antoninianus of Vabalathus.

(Better pics coming soon)

1318397952_vabalathusaeternitasavg.thumb.png.a6a15960b5a9fc806692b578c672afe8.png

It's my profile picture, because it is my favourite coin in my collection, partly due sole reign Vabalathus ants being very rare, and partly because I'm extremely pleased to have been able to spot and snag it very cheaply.

• Like 17

The city state of Pantikapeum was quite possibly founded by Greeks from Miletos in Asia Minor, they possibly settled the Cimmerian Bosporus beginning in the 7th century BC. This city is located roughly near modern Kerch in Ukraine. Coinage with the satyr, Pan and the bull reverse with the legend PAN was issued beginning in the 3rd century BC.

pantikapaion1.jpg

• Like 18

• Benefactor
On 5/27/2022 at 1:08 PM, DonnaML said:

*How many of you (of those who still can!) are planning to continue to post at both places? That's my plan as of now. I've invested way too much time and effort in Coin Talk over the last 26 months, gaining what I think is a generally positive reputation (except with the one or two people who obviously can't stand me!) to give it up entirely, at least not yet. Any more bad behavior from the administrator over there and I might change my mind.

I have no intention of posting on RCT.

• Like 7
  • Smile 1

On 5/27/2022 at 4:08 PM, Alegandron said:

My Dog, Blue.  She passed 1-1/2 yrs ago.  She was my constant companion, coming with me everywhere:  Work, home, even room-to-room where ever I was.  She saved my life twice.  I have had many dogs, cats, and other critters in my life.  Blue and I connected like no other.

She loved everyone, and everyone really liked her too.  Always a tail a-waggin', always smiling.  Even in her final days when her dysplasia was becoming intolerable:  She smiled and was happy.  I deeply miss her Soul.

image.jpeg.e8695d8d9c7e0c627f3f1c12f801db90.jpeg

RR C Mamilius 82 BCE AR Den Serrate Mercury winged petasos caduceus Ulysses Dog Argos Sear 282 Craw 362-1

image.thumb.jpeg.9690114d7a1d58011b1d043151bc3049.jpeg

RR Aes Grave AE Quadrans 269-242 BCE Dog 3 pellets Six spoked wheel 59.8g Craw 24-6a Th-Vecchi 34 ex Sellwood

626152042_BluedogAvatar.thumb.jpg.b1581878ea439f1173f316d81c0509db.jpg

1838540929_BluePuppy.jpg.1cb20c1eea773860fb0c9be51465c0ca.jpg

791853171_BluelastdayAvatar.jpg.5e40df6c3ee1df47e7f3b449b837dc8e.jpg

Blue's Last Day... smiling, loving, and her paw was always on my arm all day.

Sorry to hear that. Its sad to have to depart from such a good friend...

On 5/27/2022 at 8:08 PM, DonnaML said:

No mystery to the avatar I just added: it's the same photo of me I used at Coin Talk until I deleted it the other day*. It comes from my German passport photo taken a few years ago after I obtained dual German & U.S. citizenship. I like it better than my U.S. passport photo or any other recent photo, mostly because I think it makes me look younger than my true advanced age!

*How many of you (of those who still can!) are planning to continue to post at both places? That's my plan as of now. I've invested way too much time and effort in Coin Talk over the last 26 months, gaining what I think is a generally positive reputation (except with the one or two people who obviously can't stand me!) to give it up entirely, at least not yet. Any more bad behavior from the administrator over there and I might change my mind.

Good question. I have no Idea. Seems strange to post the same things on different forums, to mostly the same people....?

On 5/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, Leo said:

Mine comes from one of the drawings I've made for one of my videos.
I really like Antoninus Pius too 🙂

image.thumb.png.cbd3e75c4cb1de216d9e35d284e9ef5c.png

Thats a very nice drawing. What are your videos (excuse my ignorance)

About my picture. Its a photo of the roman limes in the city where I used to live,  trajectum. Its marked in the street and shows the location of the border. When its dark the line is lighted, which looks really Nice. And now i live in a small town 15 minuten away which gave its name to Brooklyn apparently. 

Edit: well, seems my avatar photo doesnt show. Ill fix that later. 

Edited by Limes
My mistake
  • Like 5

Yay, @Limes is here!! 👏

8 minutes ago, Limes said:

Good question. I have no Idea. Seems strange to post the same things on different forums, to mostly the same people....?

I think you might be underestimating how large the exodus from the old site has been... 😉 Personally I'll be posting almost exclusively here from now on.

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 11

For this site, I figured a different avatar was needed 😁.  In my family, we have a tendency to name our first born using one of the many names of the Hindu God of War, Kartikeya. It is a tonge-in-cheek pun wrt. the CoinTalk exodus. One of the few coins that has this deity depicted is the Yaudheyas' Tetradrachm where my avatar comes from...

Yaudheyas: Anonymous (ca 190-340 CE) Æ Tetradrachm (MACW-4707)

Obv: Kartikeya standing facing, holding a spear in his right hand, with a rooster to right; Brahmi legend Yaudheya-ganasya jaya around
Rev: Goddess Devasena standing slightly turned to her left with right hand extended

MACW-4707.jpg.57a8084ab1e0a229f9206f2ee8693e16.jpg

• Like 17

3 hours ago, UkrainiiVityaz said:

The city state of Pantikapeum was quite possibly founded by Greeks from Miletos in Asia Minor, they possibly settled the Cimmerian Bosporus beginning in the 7th century BC. This city is located roughly near modern Kerch in Ukraine. Coinage with the satyr, Pan and the bull reverse with the legend PAN was issued beginning in the 3rd century BC.

pantikapaion1.jpg

I'm gonna do a 'political' reply and say Slava Ukraini 😼

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

My first post here. Bob L. from CCF and CT; Robert L3 from Forum. Figured I'd try something more clever as a handle this time: Kamnaskires. In recent years, my collecting focus has been distilled down to artifacts (pottery and weaponry) and coinage from Elymais - although I maintain a very focused subset from Parthian numismatics too: tets of Vologases II and III. 

The avatar is simple enough. It illustrates my interests: an anchor from Elymaean coins (the Elymaeans stole the motif from the Seleucids) and a "winged" Marlik arrowhead from NW Iran.

Kamnaskires Avatar.jpg

Edited by Kamnaskires
  • Like 18

My avatar is my old coin assistant Oswald (family cat). When I began collecting ancient coins, we would come sit with me (or on my things) and watch me “coin” all night. He passed away in 2018 and his brother Charlie has now taken his position. However, since this has been my photo pretty much since I started posting on CT (after being a creeper for years), it was the visual attached to me as a poster and I didn’t update it. I figured coming over here, keeping this photo for now would be a good connector to that CT account.

As for Orange Julius…. the night I signed up for CT, I had been drinking… quite heavily. 😉 I was trying to think of a fun but historically linked name. I thought of Julius Caesar, then remembered the US smoothy chain named Orange Julius. (Famous for selling a orange juice, milk, vanilla, blended with ice drink) Anyway, orange is a favorite color, Julius C is cool historically, the name was fun… so I went with it. After the drinks wore off, I hated it and tried everything to change it to something else. Eventually, I got over it and just went with it. Haha… 

• Like 12
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 3

6 hours ago, Kamnaskires said:

My first post here. Bob L. from CCF and CT; Robert L3 from Forum. Figured I'd try something more clever as a handle this time: Kamnaskires. In recent years, my collecting focus has been distilled down to artifacts (pottery and weaponry) and coinage from Elymais - although I maintain a very focused subset from Parthian numismatics too: tets of Vologases II and III. 

Hi Bob great to see you here...

Nice avatar... .Paul

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Leo said:

Here's a link to my channel 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicalNumismatics

Thanks! Interesting video's, I believe I have seen one before, with Nero 🙂 It all comes together now 😄 

9 hours ago, Severus Alexander said:

Yay, @Limes is here!! 👏

I think you might be underestimating how large the exodus from the old site has been... 😉 Personally I'll be posting almost exclusively here from now on.

Thanks SA! Nice to see you here as well! It sure is very quiet on CT... It makes choosing the appropriate venue for showing coins easier I guess 🙂

• Like 4

“The painter Kramskoy has a remarkable painting entitled The Contemplator: it depicts a forest in winter, and in the forest, standing all by himself on the road, in deepest solitude, a stray little peasant in a ragged caftan and bast shoes; he stands as if he were lost in thought, but he is not thinking, he is "contemplating" something. If you nudged him, he would give a start and look at you as if he had just woken up, but without understanding anything. It's true that he would come to himself at once, and yet, if he were asked what he had been thinking about while standing there, he would most likely not remember, but would most likely keep hidden away in himself the impression he had been under while contemplating. These impressions are dear to him, and he is most likely storing them up imperceptibly and even without realizing it--why and what for, he does not know either; perhaps suddenly, having stored up his impressions over many years, he will drop everything and wander off to Jerusalem to save his soul, or perhaps he will suddenly burn down his native village, or perhaps he will do both."

The above quote is from Dostoevsky's work The Brothers Karamazov. It resonated with me greatly at the time of reading so I looked up the image, and have used it for my online presence ever since. 

1625900714_contemplator-ivan-kramskoy.jpg

• Like 19
  • Cool Think 1

I chose a new avatar for this forum, and this one is that proverbial "one that got away". I don't think I've ever loved a Vespasian portrait more than the one on this coin, but I let it go in an auction because I thought it was too expensive for its condition. I've kicked myself ever since, and wish I could have another shot at it.

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, Agricantus said:

I wanted a name with an ancient sound to it, when I signed up on CT. Agricantus is a music band from Sicily, with a latin name. The MFB is also from Sicily, so this is the story behind my user name and avatar.

VERY cool vid.  And I am a big MFB fan.  Nice Avatar @Agricantus

Wish I could translate the lyrics, but the music is really cool to listen too.  Inspiring, but mellow!

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 1
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor
On 5/27/2022 at 9:07 PM, maridvnvm said:

I have been asked once already on this forum and to what/who is on my avatar. I thought it would be interesting to find out what your avatar is and why you chose it.

I primarily collect the early issues of the Eastern mint denarii of Septimius Severus. I sit in the shadows of the acknowledged experts in this field (Curtis Clay, Doug Smith and Barry Murphy) but have been passionate about this coinage for the past 20 or so years and am focussing my collection in on the bits that interest me and areas where I might want to do some amateur research in this generally under-studied area.

My avatar is a very primitive attempt at colourising the bust from one of my denarii that I did over 15 years ago. I have been using it as an avatar ever since.

The original image of the complete coin:-

normal_RI%20064be%20img~0.jpg

The obverse coin cropped and colourised bust:-

normal_RI%20064be%20obv%20cold%20sml.jpg

The coin was then cropped to just the bust ready for re-sizing as an avatar:-

normal_RI%20064be%20obv%20cold%20isol%20

What is your avatar? Why did you choose it?

Very cool. Oddly I always assumed it was Septimius Severus 

• Like 1

Ok, so I changed my Avatar.  I do not do this much.  However, I am having a lot of fun on this Forum! (THANKS, @Restitutor !)  Reminds me of some of the great fun several years ago when I started to become active on CT (I lurked for a couple years, THEN became active)

@Steve(SteveX6) started calling me Gandalf, and even posted a pic that I copied into my Avatar.  Also, other folks called me Gandy a lot.  

So, I thought that I would HONOR this FUN Forum with a FUN AVATAR!

image.jpeg.4397259a1a490c4b2f665227f5f93dd0.jpeg

Edited by Alegandron
  • Like 8
  • Smile 2
  • Yes 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

So my avatar is the cover art of The Way of Kings, the first in a fantasy literature series called The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson. 

Nothing to do with coins, really, although I have always associated my love of fantasy books with my interest in history. Seems those hobbies scratch a similar type of itch. 

Also, the artwork is just beautiful, and I figured it would make a recognizable icon for me on the forum!

spacer.png

• Like 8