World Silver Crown Sized Coins

Theodosius

• Benefactor

I have gotten really interested in crown sized world silver.  There are so many artistic types and they are reasonably affordable.

I am going to try to cut and paste my picture and text catalog entry directly from Word.

image.png.9f304f0fe22f138359fc89fab80b34c8.png

AUSTRIA, ERZHERZOG LEOPOLD AR TALER

Davenport 3338b, Very Fine, 42.3mm, 28.43 grams, 1632, Hall mint

Well struck with moderate even wear, and a scarcer variety with BVRGVN not ending with "I" on reverse.

OK, looks like you can cut and paste images separately from text, but not a mixture, which is fine.

John

• Like 11
  • Cool Think 1

• Benefactor

Last one for today:

image.png.ee93c224daaf1ffb886e58fe650114b9.png

1947 Panama 1 Balboa - Vasco Nunez de Balboa – Silver (KM-13)

Look at all the Roman motifs on the reverse. A beautiful and large coin for less than $100.

I really know little about World coins so there is a lot of exciting new stuff to learn.

John

• Like 10

I don't have many large silver coins, and certainly no thalers. However, I do have this coin that I believe fits the thread since...well...It's a crown.

Lots of honest wear which I love and a good hefty chunk of metal. There is a bit of graffiti on the reverse. Perhaps someone's initials? He deserves new pictures though.

240762389_1695GreatBritainCrown.thumb.jpg.6b2dd0326c6a074c0c0e487b294e65a0.jpg

• Like 10

Lovely coins here! I have an 1889 British half-crown I bought recently for under melt value, but unfortunately it disappeared the next day. Suspicion rests on my 3-year-old son who is already starting to catch an interest in coins. He claims ignorance but I'm not convinced. 🤔🙂

• Laugh 1

Mostly I do ancients, but I used to be an enthusiastic, if not very particular crown collector.  Back in the good old days, they were so cheap in low grade, 19th century 5 francs, 5 pesetas, etc. for $7-10 c. 1990.   My first crown was a F-ish 1896 Queen Victoria British crown for $12 or so.  Those days are over (or, rather, inflation has taken over.  😮

I still keep an eye peeled for bargains, and I got this lovely 1914 Peru sol for $16 on eBay.  The seller had 0 feedback, so I imagine that scared bidders off - he shipped quickly, in a nice padded envelope; I was happy to give him his first positive feedback:

1291262033_Peru-1914SolMay2022(0).thumb.jpg.abef6a9f8d1b0462b138f44834f854ae.jpg

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Marsyas Mike said:

Mostly I do ancients, but I used to be an enthusiastic, if not very particular crown collector.  Back in the good old days, they were so cheap in low grade, 19th century 5 francs, 5 pesetas, etc. for $7-10 c. 1990.   My first crown was a F-ish 1896 Queen Victoria British crown for $12 or so.  Those days are over (or, rather, inflation has taken over.  😮

I still keep an eye peeled for bargains, and I got this lovely 1914 Peru sol for $16 on eBay.  The seller had 0 feedback, so I imagine that scared bidders off - he shipped quickly, in a nice padded envelope; I was happy to give him his first positive feedback:

1291262033_Peru-1914SolMay2022(0).thumb.jpg.abef6a9f8d1b0462b138f44834f854ae.jpg

Good looking Sol, nice pick up

• Like 2