Jump to content

So, whatcha up to?


kirispupis

Recommended Posts

  • Benefactor

Thought I'd start a thread for random things you're up to at the moment. Here's my hodgepodge of things coin related and not so coin related.

  • Just finished The New Complete Works of Josephus. Took me over a year to get through it but it's an amazing work for understanding the ancient history of Judea.
  • Researching switching my Windows desktop to a Mac because it's ineligible for Windows 11 and Windows 10 is going out of service next year. Figuring it's about time to move to a platform that values customers more.
  • Planning to rewrite two applications currently on my Windows PC for use in Mac: a foreign-language learning application and my ancient coin management software.
  • Currently reading Sikyon by Audrey Griffin, Georgics by Virgil, and Constellation Myths by Eratosthenes, Hyginus, and Aratus
  • Getting ready to go on a safari to Kenya and Rwanda soon
  • Have 13 coins I need to photograph and add to my database. I'll probably do that on the 4th.
  • We now have a (temporary) dog. My wife found him wandering on the street and he came up to her. He's a bull terrier and luckily is chipped, so the owner has been notified and will ideally call us soon.
  • Due to a Windows bug, my desktop at work is completely toast, so I have to setup a new machine and re-install everything. 😞 
  • I'm officiating my first wedding on Friday. Our neighbors asked me to do it, so a Jewish guy will be marrying a Catholic and a Protestant...
  • I've started running again. Before Covid I did 20 marathons, including a period when I did one every two weeks, but then got screwed up by Covid. I ran 9.7 km over the weekend and injured my thigh a bit. Currently biking for a week until it heals, then I'll run the same distance again. I've found the only way around the pain is to get my body used to it.
  • Writing three books, although two are on pause for a couple of months while I finish the sequel to my existing book The Paramount Dimension.
  • Working on planning the next family vacation. It's not easy to get four people to agree, but we're honing in on Antigua (Caribbean) in the winter. I'm also trying to persuade my wife to okay a trip to Pompeii and Herculaneum in the Spring.
  • Adding my most recent coin that I've processed but haven't discussed yet.852_Full.jpg.0bb483e5cb38701c50ada19b037cf9a9.jpg
  • Eleusis, Attica
    ca. 340 - 335 BCE
    17mm 3.1g
    Obv: Triptolemos holding grain ear leated left in winged chariot being driven by two serpents
    Rev: (ELEYSI); Pig standing right on mystic staff, astragal below
    Kroll 38 o-p

     
  • Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter
Posted (edited)

Sounds like a busy but good life! 🙂

I've also got a number of coins I need to photograph and upload - I've been having a lot of fun using a new macro lens that the family got me for Father's Day. It's a Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm F2.8, and that plus a new copy stand setup I made a little while back has really improved my photo quality. The lens had a slight cosmetic issue, which cut the cost by about half.

Interesting that you are taking up running again @kirispupis - I'm also trying to get back into it. I never did anything close to a marathon - I've always focused more on strength training than aerobics - but a few years ago I was regularly running 4 or 5 miles. I'm trying to ease back into it, so I haven't gone farther than a mile yet...but I definitely will be improving on that and hopefully beating my old records.

This evening I was working on another hobby - knives. It was time to take apart, clean, and sharpen this one, which I've been carrying and using for several months now. A Shirogorov F95 in Vanax 37 steel, if that means anything to anyone. 😉 It's a fabulous work of precision engineering and construction, the best you can get short of a 100% custom-made knife. This thing cost more than any of my coins, by the way. 😬

IMG_20210518_135215_HDR.jpg.c599cb2dd75237983c03305ba928695e.jpg

Edited by CPK
  • Like 8
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm busy getting dinner ready and preparing to stay home for a couple of days.  I took off, so I won't have to go through the misery of driving through the fireworks crowd.  Ah, the joys of working second shift and having the fireworks very nearby.  Happily there's supposed to be strong storms. That would make me very happy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, kirispupis said:
  • Researching switching my Windows desktop to a Mac because it's ineligible for Windows 11 and Windows 10 is going out of service next year. Figuring it's about time to move to a platform that values customers more.

A quick check of Apple's latest operating system released in 2023 seems to suggest that it doesn't support any Macbook models older than 2018 (and one iMac released in Dec 2017). Windows 10 came out in 2015. 10 year support under Windows versus 5 year support under Apple sounds pretty good to me!

I use Macbooks for work and Windows for personal use so I see pros and cons with both but personally I wouldn't migrate to Mac for their update support or their customer service. Windows has a much greater vested interest in maintaining backwards compatibility compared to Apple. In my experience, most modern tech/IT companies replace their macbooks after 3 years so backwards compatibility is rarely an issue. The companies/institutions that are predominantly running Windows machines probably keep some of them going for a decade or more.

  • Like 1
  • Yes 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
4 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

A quick check of Apple's latest operating system released in 2023 seems to suggest that it doesn't support any Macbook models older than 2018 (and one iMac released in Dec 2017). Windows 10 came out in 2015. 10 year support under Windows versus 5 year support under Apple sounds pretty good to me!

I use Macbooks for work and Windows for personal use so I see pros and cons with both but personally I wouldn't migrate to Mac for their update support or their customer service. Windows has a much greater vested interest in maintaining backwards compatibility compared to Apple. In my experience, most modern tech/IT companies replace their macbooks after 3 years so backwards compatibility is rarely an issue. The companies/institutions that are predominantly running Windows machines probably keep some of them going for a decade or more.

I'm the opposite. I have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop at home. At work my primary machine is Windows, but I work on both Windows and Linux. Windows used to be great for compatibility, but that's no longer the case. The OS on my work desktop is only 6 years old (Server 2019), but the new Teams is incompatible with it. My home Windows desktop is 6-7 years old and I'm now being told to throw it in the trash. My MacBook Air doesn't have the latest MacOS, but it doesn't need it. The machine runs absolutely fine for my purposes.

In fact, the biggest issue I have with my Mac is actually a Microsoft issue. If I edit the same book in Office Mac and Office Windows, I wind up losing data. It's not uncommon for a section I finished to go missing. I've switched to O365 for now, which has many bugs itself, until I figure out some better solution. Those I know who use Google Docs say it's worse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

All these sound awesome! @kirispupis But how do you find the time?? All the things I'm into feels like a waste as I do not have any time for anything any more 😕  to many hobbies and things I want to do.

14 hours ago, CPK said:

This evening I was working on another hobby - knives.

Ah.. one of the other things I enjoy.. beautiful knife CPK

k1.jpg.b20c3e51c8b0abf9072b4b65b5c455a9.jpg

Mora, Lt Wright, Bark River

And some current pocket carries..

k2.jpg.b5a5b6b7b9c2da8b14d4215358d2e79d.jpg

 

 

Edited by AETHER
  • Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

I'm the opposite. I have a Windows desktop and a Mac laptop at home. At work my primary machine is Windows, but I work on both Windows and Linux. Windows used to be great for compatibility, but that's no longer the case. The OS on my work desktop is only 6 years old (Server 2019), but the new Teams is incompatible with it. My home Windows desktop is 6-7 years old and I'm now being told to throw it in the trash. My MacBook Air doesn't have the latest MacOS, but it doesn't need it. The machine runs absolutely fine for my purposes.

In fact, the biggest issue I have with my Mac is actually a Microsoft issue. If I edit the same book in Office Mac and Office Windows, I wind up losing data. It's not uncommon for a section I finished to go missing. I've switched to O365 for now, which has many bugs itself, until I figure out some better solution. Those I know who use Google Docs say it's worse.

To be fair, Windows isn't saying "throw it in the trash", you just won't get updates. This can be a security issue but it's exactly the same situation for your Mac that can't update to the latest OS. Both machines will continue to run without issue, you're just open to security vulnerabilities that won't be patched.

I've used Google Docs for personal use and work for the past 10 years and personally never had an issue with disappearing data or similar bugs so I can only recommend it. Its online/cloud functionality is also much better than Microsoft's equivalent but you of course can't beat the desktop version of Excel or Word, although last I recall they have some limitations on Mac still. But the less we say about Apple's Numbers app the better!

  • Like 1
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not having to deal with the fireworks crowd led me to waking up in a much more cheerful mood. Having it in a very close residential park (when there's a perfectly good park with lots of parking within a 5 minute drive) just leads to a big middle finger to residents.  The crowds aren't badly behaved but it's just miserable to drive home through the mess.  It's also going to be 92 with miserable humidity.  It's a much better day to stay in.

I woke up and enjoyed a nice home-brewed coffee from the Cleveland Coffee Co. (it, and Running Goat - very similar - have the reddish blends which I enjoy, not the burnt Starbucks stuff - Cafe du Monde is the only black coffee which I really like), the Mokka Java flavor.  I'm glad that Meijer carried this and that I was able to discover it.

The monthly old time radio round robin also just came out and I look forward to sifting through the programs.  I enjoy OTR for both the entertainment value and the history.  In addition to detective show favorites I also enjoy some obscure shows and also actuality history. 

A second cup of coffee is brewing and I can sift through the listings, highlighting shows which I'm interested in.

I also fixed a long-time vexation - the mysterious PC freezes.  It took nearly two years of trying about everything under the sun, but I uninstalled icue (the RGB software) and no freezes have happened for the last three months.  Lesson learned; don't have RGB and AMD together.

I've given up on my U.S. coin ever arriving and the dealer advised just sending me a refund.  Thanks, USPS!  Registered and Priority have both been added to my never-again list.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter
2 hours ago, AETHER said:

All these sound awesome! @kirispupis But how do you find the time?? All the things I'm into feels like a waste as I do not have any time for anything any more 😕  to many hobbies and things I want to do.

Ah.. one of the other things I enjoy.. beautiful knife CPK

k1.jpg.b20c3e51c8b0abf9072b4b65b5c455a9.jpg

Mora, Lt Wright, Bark River

And some current pocket carries..

k2.jpg.b5a5b6b7b9c2da8b14d4215358d2e79d.jpg

 

 

Nice! I've always liked the look of BRK's but never owned one. Nice to see that Para 3 too - I've got probably a dozen or so Spyderco knives. Before I started carrying the Shiro I had my LC200N Autonomy 2 in my pocket.

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, CPK said:

Nice! I've always liked the look of BRK's but never owned one. Nice to see that Para 3 too - I've got probably a dozen or so Spyderco knives. Before I started carrying the Shiro I had my LC200N Autonomy 2 in my pocket

Its a nice knife!  But yet again, another expensive hobby. So I have been idle on knives for a while lol. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Enjoying the slow season of work and playing a lot of World of Warcraft, lmao 

Here is a quick shot I took of an Antiochos the Great tetradrachm I picked up around 6 months ago.  I really like the detail on it 

antiochosthegreat.jpeg

antiochosthegreat2.jpeg

antiochosthegreat3.jpeg

  • Like 8
  • Cool 1
  • Excited 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
  • Yes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter
1 hour ago, AETHER said:

Its a nice knife!  But yet again, another expensive hobby. So I have been idle on knives for a while lol. 

Exactly, same here! Too many hobbies and not enough money. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh goody, I hear this muffled noise like a loud car stereo parked outside,  and going outside to investigate it's the sound of loud drums, and I mean loud.  I'm assuming they're coming from the park, although it'd have to be ear-splitting if they were coming from two blocks away.   If it were the Alabama State University band and Stingettes I wouldn't mind, but this is annoying.  Yesss, the storms are imminent!

I live on an unusually quiet street and this is just unfair to residents.  The other park which is a five minute drive away is larger, has ample parking and is away from the residential area.  Traffic on the main road also wouldn't be as affected.

Perhaps I should tune into the old time radio stations.  This would be the perfect time for them to play the Jean Shepherd July Fourth episodes.  Radio Once More is switching over to a July 4th Extravaganza at midnight.

This might be a perfect night to download a funny Rifftrax movie, crank up the headphones, and veg out.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
4 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

To be fair, Windows isn't saying "throw it in the trash", you just won't get updates. This can be a security issue but it's exactly the same situation for your Mac that can't update to the latest OS. Both machines will continue to run without issue, you're just open to security vulnerabilities that won't be patched.

It's not. After looking it up, Apple allows a Mac to update to the latest MacOS if it's roughly from 2018 or later. They support updates for the last three releases, which equates to roughly three years. So, a Mac from 2018 can update today and receive three more years of updates. In my case, my desktop is locked from upgrading to Windows 11, nor will it receive updates after next year.

For Windows, this is a death sentence. On a platform like MacOS that's not nearly as targeted by hackers, one could probably go for some time without updates if using browsers such as Chrome that will continue updates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

It's not. After looking it up, Apple allows a Mac to update to the latest MacOS if it's roughly from 2018 or later. They support updates for the last three releases, which equates to roughly three years. So, a Mac from 2018 can update today and receive three more years of updates. In my case, my desktop is locked from upgrading to Windows 11, nor will it receive updates after next year.

Ah so they continue supporting the OS with security updates for a few more years? If so, that's still comparable with Windows but you're not really making it a fair comparison. You're saying Windows doesn't let you upgrade to Windows 11 while arguing that Apple provides support for another 3 years on a 5 year old device but from what I understand, Apple also doesn't let you upgrade to the latest OS. You may get new releases for the version of the OS you're on but not the new OS itself. If you look at macOS Ventura, the supported devices go back to 2017, while for macOS Sonoma they only go back to 2018. So it stands to reason that a 2018 Mac won't be able to update to macOS Sequoia coming out later this year. This is exactly how Windows works too.

The way you're phrasing things makes me think you're either just ranting about Windows for the sake of it or you don't understand how updates work for Mac and Windows. You say your Windows "desktop is locked" - would you say the same for a 2017 Mac that can't upgrade to Sonoma? Will you also have to "throw it in the trash", like you apparently have to with your Windows PC?

Keep in mind that there's also a difference in that Apple locks down the hardware of their computers so a particular model from 2018 is the same, more or less, for everyone. A PC is of course not like that, a computer bought in 2018 may be worse than one built in 2014. The computer hardware has little to do with Microsoft, unlike in Apple's case. The beauty of a PC in this case is that you can upgrade the hardware yourself so it can support Windows 11. It's not so easy to upgrade a 2016 Macbook so it can support the latest MacOS - I'm not even sure it's possible for the average consumer to have this work done. Windows isn't preventing you from doing anything, if anything it's the Macbook that you have to throw in the trash.

Quote

For Windows, this is a death sentence. On a platform like MacOS that's not nearly as targeted by hackers, one could probably go for some time without updates if using browsers such as Chrome that will continue updates.

Re: Chrome, presumably the same applies to Windows - Chrome on Windows will continue to receive updates too as long as Chrome supports its browser on that OS. Though I don't think that will be particularly safe in either case, the problem is with vulnerabilities in the OS and downloading malware using Chrome is not going to prevent that issue, whether on Windows or Mac. Regarding Macs being safer, I think that was true 15 years ago but there's plenty of exploits to be worried about these days whether on Mac or Windows. There's a reason every company I've worked at has automatically enforced security patches for Macbooks as well as Windows devices. I can recall more than a handful of times when we've had to install updates same-day due to a serious vulnerability discovered for Macbooks.

Just to be clear, I'm not pointing this out because I like Windows more than Mac or vice versa, both have their pros and cons. The way you're phrasing the issue you have with your Windows PC is just misleading. You're not locked out of anything, you don't have to throw anything away, and Apple handles updates and OS support exactly the same way.

  • Like 1
  • Yes 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've spent the last few weeks at home since FFV was born. It has been pretty awesome. I've been able to get so many projects done....and also hang out with my family 🙂 
I haven't been able to spend any time on coins besides looking at what you all have posted here.  I have to go back to work next Wednesday which I am not looking forward to...but somebody has to make the money to feed, clothe, and house the Frog Army. 

  • Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Heart 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

 comparison. You're saying Windows doesn't let you upgrade to Windows 11 while arguing that Apple provides support for another 3 years on a 5 year old device but from what I understand, Apple also doesn't let you upgrade to the latest OS.

I must admit I'm not nearly as familiar with MacOS upgrades as with Windows, but from Apple's own documentation this appears possible. I intend to try it on my own MacBook Air soon to verify.

14 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

The beauty of a PC in this case is that you can upgrade the hardware yourself so it can support Windows 11. It's not so easy to upgrade a 2016 Macbook so it can support the latest MacOS - I'm not even sure it's possible for the average consumer to have this work done. Windows isn't preventing you from doing anything, if anything it's the Macbook that you have to throw in the trash.

You can still do this, but it's becoming considerably more difficult. Since Windows 11 has an issue with my motherboard chipset, that's a tough cookie to replace. My CPU certainly won't be compatible and these days memory too is difficult to match. The last time I built a PC I spent some time making sure the exact memory was compatible per the motherboard manufacturer's directions. Video cards are slightly easier to switch out so long as there aren't too many generations in between, since those manufacturers sell to gamers who want the latest and greatest. Hard drives are also easy to add/replace. However, these days video cards don't matter nearly as much unless one is a core gamer (and I'm not) and the latest Thunderbolt 3 compatible drives on Mac offer nearly the same perf as an internal drive. My son currently uses one on his MacBook for video editing. So, in summary, the advantages of building your own machine and swapping things in and out are disappearing.

14 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

Re: Chrome, presumably the same applies to Windows - Chrome on Windows will continue to receive updates too as long as Chrome supports its browser on that OS. Though I don't think that will be particularly safe in either case, the problem is with vulnerabilities in the OS and downloading malware using Chrome is not going to prevent that issue, whether on Windows or Mac.

Whether Chrome will continue to be safer or not will depend on how much Chrome relies on the OS for things, but especially rendering. I do know that in theory every OS API Edge uses has to be publicly documented, so it's fair game for Chrome. However, I'm not deeply familiar with Chrome's code, nor do I know the separation on Mac. I expect that neither will be particularly safe as you mention.

14 hours ago, Kaleun96 said:

The way you're phrasing things makes me think you're either just ranting about Windows for the sake of it or you don't understand how updates work for Mac and Windows. You say your Windows "desktop is locked" - would you say the same for a 2017 Mac that can't upgrade to Sonoma? Will you also have to "throw it in the trash", like you apparently have to with your Windows PC?

I'm not the only one talking about this. I believe this move is irresponsible environmentally and is for technology and not customer reasons. FWIW, Apple has long had a recycling program for old Macs. Also, although you can certainly argue this isn't Microsoft's fault, Apple devices have historically had a decent resale value, so we've always sold our old Macs, vs the PCs have always gone to the trash. In fairness, I see Microsoft has recently created a similar program, though I don't know if it's as simple to follow as Apple's and the information is certainly not broadcast as loudly.

Edited by kirispupis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

What exactly do you guys use all those knives for? Or do you just display them like you would coins?

Whittling?

That's the only thing I could ever figure out to do with my pocket knife...and to be fair, I was never very good.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had my pc built to fairly high specs around 2021, yet it complains about the mysterious TPG or something like that not being enabled for Windows 11. It would probably just involve changing something in the BIOS but since I got the Windows freezes to stop, I'm happy with staying with 10.

I'm happy the fireworks are over. While my house affords an A+ view of the fireworks, it's not worth the hassle. It was absolute bedlam at the bottom of the street, where I'd have driven if I went to work.  It just gets worse each year.  The city evidently doesn't give a darn about residents.

What am I doing at the moment? I'm listening to sirius' Little Steven's Garage rock station and enjoying some Bacardi with symple syrup, and also burning up, since alcohol makes one hot, and I just turned off the ac. The air temperature is ok but the humidity is terribly high.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor

The owners came and picked up their dog. They mentioned that he has the habit of running away. I was working at the time, but my wife mentioned she could see the dog's point of view.

However, we now have another dog. My sister-in-law is going to a wedding out of state so she dropped off her dog with us.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter
8 hours ago, DonnaML said:

What exactly do you guys use all those knives for? Or do you just display them like you would coins?

Personally, I use all of mine, have one in my pocket every day. Mostly for mundane tasks like opening packages, cutting cardboard or plastic bands, sometimes use it for cutting food if I need to, or really anything that needs to be trimmed or cut in the course of the day. Of course, all of those tasks could be accomplished with a lesser tool but where's the fun in that? 😉 Plus, I enjoy the sharpening process, and seeing how different types of steel respond differently in use and in sharpening.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

- last night had a few beers with my highschool mates, some I hadn't seen for 20 years.

- found a pair of suede Le Coq Sportif that I had bought 7 years ago but just worn once or twice

- I also like blades, at present I find myself in the tanto camp

 

IMG_20240528_1355082.jpg.d9c573fa7837a64fa147ebf4a34c3310.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Re what am I up to…Voting. General election with umm a highly unpredictable outcome. Still the polling station - Keats’ old house - makes up for it.

9E777859-5BE9-4905-B0B9-256BAC1E3D94.jpeg.73405bb14894e8f4ee06fee7e6a2ca3e.jpeg

A781F8F0-8F8D-4137-8DC3-A7AD33BD0C87.jpeg.89b1adbd37d152c978f1ce92ae1a88cf.jpeg


…and listening to the early fireworks of our  US residents celebrating July 4 over here. Which causes “mixed” feelings as the crescendo grows ever louder over the course of the evening😀

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...