Jump to content

New imperial face in my album - Geta


ambr0zie
 Share

Recommended Posts

One of the most common rulers missing from my Imperial collection was Geta. Although I don't specialize, I like Severan dynasty coins and I rarely refuse one as I like the portraits and the variety of reverses for both Provincial and Imperial coins.

Until a few weeks ago, I only had some Provincials. All very nice in my opinion.

First was this Ephesus - one of my favorite provincial coins, showing Geta as a young adult

image.png.e6cc90a7cc6b7e44ba5d2194106c99c6.png

Ionia. Ephesos. Geta AD 198-211.  Bronze Æ18 mm., 3,86 g.
(209-211). Ae.
Obv: Λ CEΠ ΓETAC KAI.
Bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: EΦECIΩN.
Stag standing right.
Karwiese 553. SNG Cop 428

I have recently bought 2 interesting provincials discussed here also

image.png.ff495a374c56a7382d8f1d952e5ad69f.png

 

(Amasia)

image.png.a70c000433bb000972516331fd3ee268.png

 

(Hadrianopolis, apparently unpublished)

But the idea of not having a Geta imperial coin bothered me.

Previous attempt was a failure as the auction house incorrectly described this Caracalla as Geta and the small flan tricked me also and I didn't check it.

image.png.27b981d4b6cbcf949c5bf82bc611338e.png

 

I have a Republican Geta 😆

image.png.6180e827aec4864d7fa25013c448cfe4.png

C. Hosidius C. f. Geta 68 BC. Rome. Denarius AR17 mm, 3,96 g

Obv: Diademed head of Diana draped right, bow and quiver at her shoulder GETA before, III. VIR behind. Rev.: The wild boar of Calydon right, pierced by spear and attacked by dog. C. HOSIDI. C.F. in exergue.

Crawford 407/2

 

The new coin I added doesn't fully meet my usual requirements (I prefer non generic reverses) but I liked the portrait a lot and in the current auction I only won one other coin so it was a decent excuse to justify the shipping.

image.png.8986c35c88bb338f7247d2d159aed734.png

 

Geta, as Caesar AD 198-209. Rome
Denarius AR; AD 200-202
20 mm, 3,11 g
P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, bare-headed and draped bust to right / FELICITAS PVBLICA, Felicitas standing to left, holding caduceus and cornucopia.
RIC IV 9a; BMCRE 220; RSC 38a.

Geta didn't have the best fate ever.

From "The Encyclopedia of  Roman Imperial Coins" by Rasiel Suarez

Geta was Caracalla's brother and son of Septimius Severus. He served as Caesar from 198 until his father's death in 211 at which point he became Augustus, sharing the top slot with Caracalla.
Caracalla, in turn, wanted none of this and prepared to rid himself of his unwelcome sidekick. Tricking Geta into a feigned peace summit to be convened on the neutral grounds of their mother's residence, Geta was instead ambushed by a detachment of Caracalla's troops and cold-heartedly slain as he desperately sought refuge in his mother's arms.

Was indeed Geta the good brother and Caracalla the evil one? Would he have been a better ruler if the odds turned around? Nobody can answer that.

But let's see some Geta imperial coins.

image.png

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 25
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice Geta collection. 

In my collection are also various Geta provincial coins, but only one denarius.

 

Geta_01.jpg.fcfc4d0c5c45840611a4d5d52634cec0.jpg

Geta
AR Denar
Obv.: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, Draped ans cuirassed bust right
Rev.: NOBI-LITAS, Nobilitas standing right holding sceptre and palladium
Ag, 3.20g, 18.9mm
Ref.: RIC 13a, RSC 90

  • Like 20
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always nice to Get a Geta 🙂

23cb8912572b423594f9a9b85b29ef8d.jpg

Geta, Denarius - Rome mint, AD 201
P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, draped and cuirassed bust of Geta right, seen from behind
PR INC IVVENT, Geta, as prince of youth, standing left, holding branch and spear
3.27 gr, 23.7 mm
Ref : RIC #15b, RCV #7194, Cohen #159

 

Note : funny how the lips have been engraved just like three drill holes

Q

  • Like 21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very nice, @ambr0zie! I have only a couple of Geta denarii.

2086572384_GetaSECVRITIMPERIdenarius.jpg.e1c8f4aa1b0c004cb18dfe596639e941.jpg

Geta as Caesar, AD 198-209.
AR denarius, 3.24 gm, 18.3 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 202.
Obv: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, bare-headed and draped bust, r.
Rev: SECVRIT IMPERII, Securitas enthroned l., holding globe.
Refs: RIC-20; BMC-240; Cohen-183; Sear-7200; Hill-553.
 
1252635798_GetaVICTAETERNdenarius.jpg.6170e69b83c9f45f0e9443b7450f48df.jpg
Geta as Caesar, AD 198-209.
AR denarius, 3.43 gm, 19.1 mm, 5 h.
Rome, AD 200.
Obv: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed bust, r.
Rev: VICT AETERN, Victory flying left, holding wreath in both hands over round shield set on base.
Refs: RIC-23; BMC-247-48; Cohen-206; Sear-7205; Hill-458.
 
 
  • Like 18
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

One of the most common rulers missing from my Imperial collection was Geta. Although I don't specialize, I like Severan dynasty coins and I rarely refuse one as I like the portraits and the variety of reverses for both Provincial and Imperial coins.

Until a few weeks ago, I only had some Provincials. All very nice in my opinion.

First was this Ephesus - one of my favorite provincial coins, showing Geta as a young adult

image.png.e6cc90a7cc6b7e44ba5d2194106c99c6.png

Ionia. Ephesos. Geta AD 198-211.  Bronze Æ18 mm., 3,86 g.
(209-211). Ae.
Obv: Λ CEΠ ΓETAC KAI.
Bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: EΦECIΩN.
Stag standing right.
Karwiese 553. SNG Cop 428

I have recently bought 2 interesting provincials discussed here also

image.png.ff495a374c56a7382d8f1d952e5ad69f.png

 

(Amasia)

image.png.a70c000433bb000972516331fd3ee268.png

 

(Hadrianopolis, apparently unpublished)

But the idea of not having a Geta imperial coin bothered me.

Previous attempt was a failure as the auction house incorrectly described this Caracalla as Geta and the small flan tricked me also and I didn't check it.

image.png.27b981d4b6cbcf949c5bf82bc611338e.png

 

I have a Republican Geta 😆

image.png.6180e827aec4864d7fa25013c448cfe4.png

C. Hosidius C. f. Geta 68 BC. Rome. Denarius AR17 mm, 3,96 g

Obv: Diademed head of Diana draped right, bow and quiver at her shoulder GETA before, III. VIR behind. Rev.: The wild boar of Calydon right, pierced by spear and attacked by dog. C. HOSIDI. C.F. in exergue.

Crawford 407/2

 

The new coin I added doesn't fully meet my usual requirements (I prefer non generic reverses) but I liked the portrait a lot and in the current auction I only won one other coin so it was a decent excuse to justify the shipping.

image.png.8986c35c88bb338f7247d2d159aed734.png

 

Geta, as Caesar AD 198-209. Rome
Denarius AR; AD 200-202
20 mm, 3,11 g
P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, bare-headed and draped bust to right / FELICITAS PVBLICA, Felicitas standing to left, holding caduceus and cornucopia.
RIC IV 9a; BMCRE 220; RSC 38a.

Geta didn't have the best fate ever.

From "The Encyclopedia of  Roman Imperial Coins" by Rasiel Suarez

Geta was Caracalla's brother and son of Septimius Severus. He served as Caesar from 198 until his father's death in 211 at which point he became Augustus, sharing the top slot with Caracalla.
Caracalla, in turn, wanted none of this and prepared to rid himself of his unwelcome sidekick. Tricking Geta into a feigned peace summit to be convened on the neutral grounds of their mother's residence, Geta was instead ambushed by a detachment of Caracalla's troops and cold-heartedly slain as he desperately sought refuge in his mother's arms.

Was indeed Geta the good brother and Caracalla the evil one? Would he have been a better ruler if the odds turned around? Nobody can answer that.

But let's see some Geta imperial coins.

image.png

Ozie, Your Geta denarius looks like a great score ☺️. My only Geta denarius turned out to be a fake I bought about 50 years ago ☹️. Geta-269.jpg.07e69fa1b67f784320a6f4bf7459836a.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Cry 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

some people collect the Geta/ Caracalla maturing portraits.  Coins are generally common  so to get a modern fake was quite unfortunate!  Denarii can be found in exceptional condition too!  I once collected Roman Imperials, but people found them less interesting than my NewStyle tetradrachms!!!

 

NSK=John

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dug through my files & found a breathtaking imperial portrait coin of Geta that I'm compelled to share 😊. I don't know who won this magnificent coin from NAC Auction 127, but they paid $168,000.00 for it 😮!

1579453103_N.A.C.127lotimage00330.jpg.dd2005e54aab35cafc34fbd2ed815218.jpg

Geta as Caesar, AD 198-209. AV Aureus: 7.25 gm. Obverse: Bare-headed, draped & cuirassed bust of Geta. Reverse: Half-length & radiate bust of Caracalla, draped, cuirassed, & aegis on bust; right hand raised. Caracalla is depicted as Sol, the sun god on this coin. Photo courtesy of NAC. I'll bet the depiction of Caracalla on this coin confounded the jealousy between these brothers 😠.

Edited by Al Kowsky
spelling correction
  • Like 12
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Very nice coin of Geta. Congratulations. He tends to still get pushed aside by his brother. I have this denarius of him as a child - I fell for the portrait.

Also, I have this 19th century silver pill box with a denarius of him on the cover.

 

1552.jpg.4ea884f14cf7e88d60179bcca5958a60.jpg

 

Ywj57THnxn3X9mL6df8KM4fX2gFto6.jpg.9b6ede8c25efaa9d9b0cc710edf09d9d.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Octavius said:

 Very nice coin of Geta. Congratulations. He tends to still get pushed aside by his brother. I have this denarius of him as a child - I fell for the portrait.

Also, I have this 19th century silver pill box with a denarius of him on the cover.

 

1552.jpg.4ea884f14cf7e88d60179bcca5958a60.jpg

 

Ywj57THnxn3X9mL6df8KM4fX2gFto6.jpg.9b6ede8c25efaa9d9b0cc710edf09d9d.jpg

Your pillbox has nice silver work on the lid ☺️. Is it hallmarked 🤔? I sold the pill or snuff box pictured below at CNG 483.

405830872_5francspillorsnuffbox.jpg.7dd21afa5b72af5f26417f192af9a752.jpg

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Al Kowsky said:

Your pillbox has nice silver work on the lid ☺️. Is it hallmarked 🤔? I sold the pill or snuff box pictured below at CNG 483.

405830872_5francspillorsnuffbox.jpg.7dd21afa5b72af5f26417f192af9a752.jpg

 Yes, there is a hallmark on the side , and on inside -   very tiny; looks like 4 dots and a V (or possible a Y ).  Never noticed before you asked.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

I did collect a series of his coins as he changed over time. Here is a small selection from the series,

normal_RI%20068n%20img.jpg

normal_RI_068ar_img.jpg

normal_RI_068x_img.jpg

normal_RI_068y_img.jpg

normal_RI_068au_img.jpg

My favourite was this one:-

RI_068ab_img.jpg

 

That's a wonderful illustrative group, from boy to man ☺️! The denarius with the action scene steals the show 😉.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter

I have young Geta denarii from an eastern as well as from the Rome mint. The portrait style obviously differes a great deal:

1529689655_RomGetaDenarPrincipiIuventutis.png.1615e18ee83f3cafaea75a33f5edfc62.png

Geta, Roman Empire, denarius, 200–202 AD, Rome mint. Obv: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT; bust of Geta, bare-headed, draped, r. Rev: PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS; Geta, holding baton and sceptre, standing l. next to trophy r. 18mm, 3.40g. Ref: RIC IV Geta 18.

945203383_RomGetaDenarSpeiPerpetuaeLaodiceaRic96.png.f72e896be4a042bf4bb2dae31cc37c83.png

Geta, Roman Empire, AR denarius, 198–200 AD, “Laodicea” mint. Obv: L SEPTIMIVS GETA CAES; bust of Geta, bare-headed, draped, r. Rev: SPEI PERPETVAE; Spes, draped, advancing l., holding flower in r. hand and raising skirt with l. hand. 20mm, 3.19g. RIC IV Geta 96. Ex Pecunem 10, lot 576.

  • Like 14
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Very nice example!

Here are my few Getas.

PRINC IVVENTVTIS:

New Geta Princ Iuv combined 2.jpg

Another young Geta; I have no examples of the more mature Geta:

Geta.jpg

Finally, a Limes Denarius showing Caracalla on the obverse and Geta on the reverse. The Geta portrait is in better condition:

 

[IMG]

Plus, this Julia Domna/Hilaritas; the two young children presumably represent Caracalla and Geta even though both were adults at the time the coin was minted:

Julia Domna - Hilaritas.jpg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Sweet!! ... ambr0zie, congrats on scoring that great OP-Geta-coin

 

Geta, eh? ... I think I had a couple of Geta coins? (yup, I found the winna-winnas)

 

Geta. As Caesar, AR Denarius (below)

Rome mint

AD 198-209

Struck under Septimius Severus, AD 200-205

Diameter: 18 mm

Weight: 3.55 grams

Obverse: Bareheaded, draped, and cuirassed bust right

Reverse: Victory flying left, holding open wreath; to left, round shield set on base

Reference: RIC IV 23; RSC 206

Other: 12h … toned

Ex-stevex6

Geta AR Denarius Victory and Shield.jpg

 

Geta. As Caesar, AR Denarius (below)

AD 198-209

Struck under Septimius Severus, AD 199-204

Rome mint

Diameter: 18 mm

Weight: 3.36 grams

Obverse: Bareheaded and draped bust right

Reverse: Castor standing slightly left before horse, holding bridle and scepter

Reference: RIC IV 6; RSC 12

Other: 6h … light porosity

Ex-stevex6

Geta.jpg

 

... congrats again on adding a winner

 

Edited by Steve
  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ambr0zie...Sweet looking addition...

Here's one where Geta is sporting a serious "Dread lock"!

1447431117_normal_GETA(3).jpg.7102b28e6a40f4b1cc50b104ee4f71d7.jpg

Geta, as Caesar, AR Denarius. Rome, AD 203-208.( Minted AD 205 )
Ob- GETA CAES PONT COS, bare-headed and draped bust right.
Rev- VOTA PVBLICA, Geta standing left, sacrificing out of patera over tripod & holding roll.
RIC 38b. 3.57g, 14mm, 7h.

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nice addition to your Geta collection, @ambr0zie

Here is my only Imperial AE for this guy, unfortunately pitted, but scarce and with a rather interesting Victory in Britain reverse: 

1026811656_Geta-AsBrittanicarevAug2018(0).jpg.b426bd61e2337d89b15e046f7a84e252.jpg

Geta   Æ As (210-212 A.D.) Rome Mint [P SEPT]IMIVS GETA PIVS AVG BR[IT], laureate head right, slight drapery on left shoulder / [VICTO]RIAE BRITTANICAE Victory seated left on shields, holding shield & palm, SC in exergue.  RIC Geta 191b. (8.09 grams / 24 mm) eBay Aug. 2018  

Attribution Notes: 

RIC Geta 191a - no drapery

RIC Geta 191b - draped shoulder

Possible Obv./Rev. Die-match:  Spink Auction 8006; Lot 1136; 26.03.2008 (misattributed as RIC 191a but "drapery on far shoulder" noted)

 

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Marsyas Mikereminded me about this one that I had.... These mid bronzes come with nice quality engraving.

RI%20068p%20img.jpg

There are some nice provincials with the confronted busts to look out for too. I must admit I am not a provincial expert though.

AE27
Obv:- AY K M AY ANTWNINOC AY K P CEP, GETAC in exergue, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Caracalla right confronting laureate and draped bust of Geta left;
Rev:- Y FL OYLPIANOY MAPKIANOPOLITWN, Concordia standing slightly left, patera in right hand, cornucopia in left hand, E (mark of value) lower left;
Minted in Markianopolis (Devnya, Bulgaria). Consular Legate Flavius Ulpianus, 210 - 211 A.D
Reference:– Varbanov (Engl.) 1083

27.33 mm. 11.74 gms. 0 degrees

GI_066n_img.jpg

 

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...