A Tigranes Trio

robinjojo

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

In the midst of the rather frantic end of Roma, whose demise concluded with a fusillade of coins in the two-day May E-Sale 119, I decide to take the initiative and bid on some Tigranes II tetradrachm lots.  That they have been appearing in quantity, and varying degrees of quality, over the past year or so has been well established.  Clearly a hoard hit the market.  But how large is it?  Probably not on the scale of the Turkish mega hoard of classical owls that has been flooding the market over the past several years now, with no end in sight.  Even so, the absorption of the Tigranes II tetradrachms might be a slower process, compared to the classical owls, whose appeal is broader among collectors.

So, in the end, I picked up one through the auction and another in the after sale.

First, though, here is a Tigranes II tetradrachm that I have owned since the early 1990s, from CNG.  Back then these were very expensive coins.  I acquired this coin for $2,500 at that time.  However, this coin is also a good illustration of how information on these coins has evolved over the years

The original description simply stated that the coin, was minted between circa 92-56 BC at Antioch.  The distinctive feature of this coin, aside from its crudeness, is the TP monogram on the reverse.  Now, the coin is attributed as an "official imitation" of Antiochos I of Commagene, an ally of Tigranes II.  The date is now is much narrower, circa. 69 - 56  BC.  The mint is now thought to be Samosota.

I don't know if other tetradrachms with the TP monogram are included in the current hoard being sold off, but I assume that it is a scarcer variety.

Kings of Armenia, Tigranes II, t tetradrachm, 69-56 BC.

Kovacs 123

15.8 grams 

D-CameraArmeniaTigranesIITheGreattetradrachm95-56BCBedoukian(CAA)4015.8g3-28-22.jpg.fa09156dd0a78670e8fade81fe8b0814.jpg

Here are the two tetradrachms that I picked up from Roma's last sale.  They are similar to others that I have seen online, and they are decent mid-grade examples with nice toning.  The prices have certainly declined from the "good old days"!

Kings of Armenia, Tigranes II, tetradrachm, Tigranokerta mint, c 80-68. BC.  From Roma E-Sale 119, Day 1, lot 540 (£380 + 22.5% buyer's fee + currency conversion = approximately $600).

Diademed and draped bust to right, wearing Armenian tiara with five peaks and emblazoned with star between two eagles; bead and reel border around / Tyche of Artaxata seated to right on rock pile, holding palm branch, river god Araxes swimming to right below; BAΣIΛEΩΣ to right, TIΓPANOY to left, Θ to inner right, ΔH monogram to lower left, all within wreath. Kovacs 74.2; SCADA, Group 1; CAA 19; ACV 31. 15.97g, 28mm, 12h.

D-CameraTigranesIItetradrachmTigranokertac80-68BCKovacs74_215.97gRoma119Day15405-26-24.jpg.4a76a9271c3d88e580991e8cce9393ee.jpg

Kings of Armenia, Tigranes II tetradrachm, Tigranokerta mint, circa 80-68 BC.  From Roma E-Sale 119, Day 1, lot 530, after sale. (£762 + 22.5% buyer's fee + currency conversion = approximately $1,204).

Diademed and draped bust to right, wearing Armenian tiara with five peaks and emblazoned with star between two eagles; bead and reel border around / Tyche of Artaxata seated to right on rock pile, holding palm branch, river god Araxes swimming to right below; BAΣIΛEΩΣ to right, TIΓPANOY to left, AP monogram to inner right, ΔΗ monogram on rock; all within wreath. Kovacs 74.1; SCADA, Group 1; CAA 17. 15.76g, 26mm, 12h.

D-CameraTigranesIItetradrachmTigranokertac80-68BCKovacs74_115.76gRoma119Day15305-26-24.jpg.acc57c93f5f6e855902c07e092248fa2.jpg

So, are there other Tigranes II coins out there?  Please share, along with anything else that strikes your fancy.

Thanks!

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

I herewith reveal the full extent of  my Armenian collection, which is a single coin, but luckily of Tigranes II! I purchased it partly tactically, thinking that at some point I would probably want one and thought that maybe the hoard was sufficiently depleted to have adjusted prices down enough so to just go ahead, and  partly  to spur me on to more properly read about the time/area and symbolism of the coins.

Tigranes II 'the Great' AR Tetradrachm. Tigranokerta, circa 80-68 BC. Diademed and draped bust to right, wearing Armenian tiara with five peaks and emblazoned with star between two eagles....

arm1.jpg.9cf378def930d47d63ae255ff3fb8193.jpg

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Those are nice additions!

I originally added this bronze at a time when I felt the tets were out of my range.

235_Full.jpg.21d642a5d18870df9b94665eb94955b3.jpg

Kings of Armenia. Tigranes II the Great
70-66 BCE 18.65mm 4.22g
Obverse: Head of Tigranes right, wearing Armenian tiara
Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / TIΓPAИOY; Tyche seated right on rock, river god swimming right at her feet
M&D 24; CAA 92; AC 56 uncertain Armenian mint

More recently, I added this tet, which I believe came from the same massive hoard as yours, though I purchased mine from Savoca.

756_Full.jpg.e4c9e520c29ef29d0e821fb40026fdd3.jpg

Kings of Armenia. Tigranes II "the Great"
80-68 BCE
AR Tetradrachm 28mm, 15,44g
Obv: Diademed and draped bust right, wearing Armenian tiara with five peaks and emblazoned with star between two eagles; within filleted border
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ TIΓPANOY, Tyche of Artaxata seated to right on rock pile, holding palm branch, river god Araxes swimming to right below; Θ to inner right, ΔH monogram to lower left, all within wreath.
Foss Group H; Kovacs 74.2; SCADA Group 1; CAA 19; ACV 31

• Like 11
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

I herewith reveal the full extent of  my Armenian collection, which is a single coin, but luckily of Tigranes II! I purchased it partly tactically, thinking that at some point I would probably want one and thought that maybe the hoard was sufficiently depleted to have adjusted prices down enough so to just go ahead, and  partly  to spur me on to more properly read about the time/area and symbolism of the coins.

Tigranes II 'the Great' AR Tetradrachm. Tigranokerta, circa 80-68 BC. Diademed and draped bust to right, wearing Armenian tiara with five peaks and emblazoned with star between two eagles....

arm1.jpg.9cf378def930d47d63ae255ff3fb8193.jpg

Nice! 

I really like the boldness of the strike on both sides.  These coins have a lot of variation when it comes to this, along with metal quality, the quality of the engraving and centering.  Having the full legends on the reverse is quite unusual.

• Thanks 1

• Benefactor
46 minutes ago, kirispupis said:

Those are nice additions!

I originally added this bronze at a time when I felt the tets were out of my range.

235_Full.jpg.21d642a5d18870df9b94665eb94955b3.jpg

Kings of Armenia. Tigranes II the Great
70-66 BCE 18.65mm 4.22g
Obverse: Head of Tigranes right, wearing Armenian tiara
Reverse: BAΣIΛEΩΣ / TIΓPAИOY; Tyche seated right on rock, river god swimming right at her feet
M&D 24; CAA 92; AC 56 uncertain Armenian mint

More recently, I added this tet, which I believe came from the same massive hoard as yours, though I purchased mine from Savoca.

756_Full.jpg.e4c9e520c29ef29d0e821fb40026fdd3.jpg

Kings of Armenia. Tigranes II "the Great"
80-68 BCE
AR Tetradrachm 28mm, 15,44g
Obv: Diademed and draped bust right, wearing Armenian tiara with five peaks and emblazoned with star between two eagles; within filleted border
Rev: BAΣIΛEΩΣ TIΓPANOY, Tyche of Artaxata seated to right on rock pile, holding palm branch, river god Araxes swimming to right below; Θ to inner right, ΔH monogram to lower left, all within wreath.
Foss Group H; Kovacs 74.2; SCADA Group 1; CAA 19; ACV 31

Nice coins!  The tetradrachm is very handsome and it has wonderful toning.  I wonder if these toned coins, so similar in overall color, came from the large hoard hitting the market or from another collection/hoard.

• Like 1

Does anyone know anything of certainty about that hoard? Did it contain anything else?  Whilst contemporary Mithradates tets were larger they were mainly of the reduced Attic weight, say 16 50 gms, whilst Tigranes are 1 gm or so less. So who was accepting short wages? Late Seleucid tets are often 15 ish gms. In reality he should be called Tigranes the very lucky.He reminds me of the ineffectual Italian efforts in WW2 who also ended up n the allied camp!

• Like 1