My first Septimius Severus coin with the BRIT[ANNICVS] title

DonnaML

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor
Posted (edited)

One may wonder why I decided to buy yet another Septimius Severus denarius, given that I already had more than a half-dozen of them, not to mention a number of his Provincial coins. There were several reasons.  First, as both a collector of ancient Roman coins and, although I'm not nearly as active as I once was, a collector of British coins and historical medals since the 1980s, I've wanted a Septimius Severus coin bearing the "Britannicus" title he used in the last couple of years of his reign ever since I learned they existed. Second, I wanted this particular type because it's believed by some people to depict both Caracalla and Geta on the reverse, in the form of two children. I'll probably never be able to afford a coin that has actual portraits of both of them, so this is the next best thing! And finally, even though there's some sort of obvious flan flaw at 12 o'clock on the reverse, it's in nice condition overall, with an especially good portrait.

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius, Rome Mint AD 210.* Obv. Laureate head right, SEVERVS PIVS - AVG BRIT / Rev. Jupiter standing to left between two small figures of children [representing Caracalla and Geta?], mantle spread behind him, holding long scepter in left hand and thunderbolt in right hand, with child on left holding onto Jupiter’s mantle and child on right holding onto scepter**, PM TR P XVIII - COS III PP. 18x19 mm., 3.06 g. RIC IV-1 240; RSC III Septimius Severus 540 p. 40; BMCRE V, Joint Reign of Septimius Severus, Caracalla, and Geta 25; David Sear, Roman Coins and their Values 1680 p. 180 (3rd ed. 1981) [not in Sear RCV II (Millennium Edition).] Purchased 16 May 2024 from cgb.fr, Paris.

image.jpeg.c1d9b85fd799e80b6d7ad840000e5829.jpeg

*RSC III dates the use of the BRIT[ANNICVS] title to AD 210-211 (see p. 18), but Sear RCV II, at p. 79, dates its use in combination with TR P XVIII only to AD 210, with coins minted in AD 211 bearing the TR P number XVIIII. 

**RSC III (see p. 18) is the only source I have identifying the two children as Caracalla and Geta (albeit accompanied by a question mark), although I do not have access to RIC IV-1 or to BMCRE V. The identification makes sense in light of the elevation of Geta to the status of Augustus in the previous year, AD 209, when this reverse first appeared (without the BRIT title on the obverse and bearing the number TR P XVII; see RIC IV-1 226, RSC II 525, Sear RCV II 6345). Furthermore, the fact that one child holds Jupiter’s mantle and the other holds Jupiter’s scepter can reasonably be interpreted as representing the new status of both Caracalla and Geta as joint successors to Septimius Severus’s throne. I do not see the apparent presentation of the two children as infants or young children on the reverse as an obstacle to this identification, even though Caracalla and Geta were already 21 and 20 years old in AD 209: their small size standing next to Jupiter could simply represent their relative status compared to the chief Roman deity (and compared to their father), rather than their ages.   

@Steppenfool has posted his very nice example of the same type from AD 209 without the BRIT title, and with TR P XVII as the tribunician power number. (Citations to RIC, RSC, and RCV in second footnote above.) He agrees with the identification of the children on the reverse as Caracalla and Geta. See https://www.numisforums.com/topic/2014-post-your-subtly-interesting-coins-severus-and-jupiter-with-his-children/#comment-33747 :

image.png.eeeb8b2339b048fce4dd45ac747ab82c.png

If anyone is ever interested in buying an example of the "BRIT" type, please examine the photo  carefully before you do so. See these examples from just the last few years incorrectly described by auction houses as the "BRIT" type despite not actually bearing that title!

image.png.fb393ede5505764882e9b9d16508ae9f.png

image.png.ffe6a0fe151f5599f71676052a033e24.png

image.png.9169a081b23e7a2baa1499c6ca8de9d0.png

image.png.57cc50ef0dff30b0ef5aa7218a0857a3.png

Please post any Roman coins you have with the Britannicus title, and/or depicting Caracalla and Geta together.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 24
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 4

Posted · Supporter

Very nice acquisition @DonnaML 

I only have one example of BRIT on obverse legend

Commodus, AR Denarius, 187-188 AD. M COMM ANT P FEL AVG BRIT, laureate head right / P M TR P XIII IMP VIII COS V P P, Hercules naked, standing front, holding patera and club. RSC 534; RIC 162. 17 mm, 2,91 g

4969777_1703192236.l-removebg-preview.png.1d1b9baa9b616158a67058819eddd06f.png

• Like 12

Great example. I'm not sure the flan flaw is anything other than normal for coins of this time.

I don't have that type. Instead, I have a coin each for Septimius Severus, Caracalla and Geta with BRIT - on both the obverse and reverse, in fact, although you have to look carefully to see it sometimes.

Septimius Severus Denarius, 210-211
image.png.ae58bda34f4abf0046b7429c96529b3d.png
Rome. Silver, 2.21g. Head with laurel wreath from right; SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT. Victory with palm branch and wreath from right; VICTORIAE BRIT (Victory in Britain) (RIC IV, 332).

Caracalla Denarius, 210-213
image.png.2e756a70efebb29def9899200864498d.png
Rome. Silver, 3.22g. Head with laurel wreath from right; ANTONINVS - PIVS AVG BRIT. Victoria with trophy from right; VICTORIAE BRIT (Victory in Britain) (RIC IV, 231A).

Geta Denarius, 209-211

image.png.b27ae98606237f96971d0ab442f6d6d6.png
Rome. Silver, 2.95g. Head with laurel wreath from right; P SEPT GETA PIVS - AVG BRIT. Victory with palm branch and wreath from left, head from left; VICTORI-AE BRIT (Victory in Britain) (RIC IV, 92).

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 4

Commodus too.

Commodus VICT BRIT Commemorative Sestertius, 184
image.png.326f8a9f218ec0bad040a68b71b0137f.png
Rome. Bronze, 29.5mm, 22.61g. Laureate head right; M COMMODVS ANTON AVG PIVS BRIT. Victory, winged, draped, seated right on shields, cradling palm frond in right arm, inscribing shield set on knee and held in place by left hand, two shields on ground to left; P M TR P VIIII IMP VII COS IIII P P S C; VICT BRIT in exergue (RIC III, 440). A serious revolt erupted in Britain in 184, but was quickly put down and commemorated with coins.

• Like 5

536.jpg.5cac26463792bf8d3a385a6b4c89e6a5.jpg

CARACALLA (198-217)
DUPONDIUS
Rome, 210-213
S 6973 - C 534 - RIC 154
14.27 g - 26 mm
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Rad. head right
PROVIDENTIAE DEORVM, Providentia Standing left, S C

• Like 12

Posted · Supporter

Nice coin @DonnaML!

Here's a VICTORIAE BRITTANNICAE type struck for Caracalla. The surfaces aren't the best, but it's a scarce and popular type so I am happy with it. Getting decent photos has proven very difficult, but this is the best I've been able to do.

CaracallaasVictoria-Brittannicae.jpg.23e52bbae0634a01d7a7c470f4456b07.jpg

CARACALLA, AD 198-217
AE As (26.58mm, 10.33g, 6h)
Struck AD 211. Rome mint
Obverse: ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head of Caracalla right
Reverse: VICTORIAE BRITTANNICAE, Victory standing right with foot on helmet, inscribing shield set on palm; S C in exergue
References: RIC IV 522a (leg. corr.), RCV 7015
Rough surfaces. Struck in commemoration of the completion of the Severan military campaign in northern Britain.

• Like 12

• Benefactor
Posted · Benefactor

Thanks for posting your coins!

So is it a major surprise to any of you that more than one auction house in recent years has misidentified the "no BRIT" type as the BRIT type? One would think it's a simple error to avoid. I wonder if it ever affected the price, although as long as a photo was included, I kind of think that it's partially the buyer's responsibility to avoid purchasing something so obviously misidentified.  

• Cool Think 1

33 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Thanks for posting your coins!

So is it a major surprise to any of you that more than one auction house in recent years has misidentified the "no BRIT" type as the BRIT type? One would think it's a simple error to avoid. I wonder if it ever affected the price, although as long as a photo was included, I kind of think that it's partially the buyer's responsibility to avoid purchasing something so obviously misidentified.  

I would guess it's a copy-paste error. The coins look roughly the same and they copy the description of a previous coin of the other type. I see wrong descriptions a lot that are probably due to that. Many (most?) auction houses copy the entries of other auction houses and perpetuate the errors. Although I believe auction houses tend to blame the buyer if they buy a misdescribed coin with a correct photo, so it's definitely worth checking.

I don't know if it would make it more expensive but it must make some sort of difference. For my coins, the BRIT version might even be more common.

• Thanks 1
  • Cool Think 1

image.jpeg.7d222a09f9c471999ef0afb7c5d68250.jpeg

Geta AR Denarius (18.90mm, 3.29 grams) . Rome mint, 210-212 AD. Obv: P SEPT GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right Rev: LIBERALITAS AVG V, Liberalitas standing left, holding coin counter and cornucopiae, globe to left. RIC 89, RSC 68.

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

Nice and interesting denarius @DonnaML

I have a Septimius Severus denarius bearing "BRIT" on both sides, which also happens to be the first ever denarius I bought, 40 years ago ...

336bd64416e34008bdf3a6436b1329f4.jpg

Septimius Severus, Denarius - Rome mint, 210 CE
SEVERVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate head of Sevrus right
VICTORIAE BRIT, Victory facing, holding palm and attaching shield to palm tree
2.72 gr
Ref : RCV #6384, Cohen #729

... and Caracalla featured as Britannicus denarius

1031d6e779ad4226b4e71fa3f61ddf69.jpg

Caracalla, Denarius - Rome mint, 210 CE 
ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, Laureate head of Caracalla right
PONTIF TRP XIII COS III, Virtus standing right, left foot on helmet
3.42 gr
Ref : RCV #6872 var, Cohen #478

Both were minted 210 CE
Q

Edited by Qcumbor
  • Like 7
  • Heart Eyes 2

Posted (edited)

Very nice coin! I am confident enough to identify the figures as Caracalla and Geta unless some better justification for their sudden inclusion on this type is discovered.

Here’s the RIC entries, 240 refers the reader to 226 (my example) which does not identify the children as Caracalla and Geta. 

IMG_1402.jpeg

IMG_1403.jpeg

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted · Supporter

ROMAN EMPIRE, GETA AS AUGUSTUS (209-212), AS, FORTUNA ENTHRONED
Roman Empire

Geta as Augustus (209-212)

As, Rome, c. AD 211

Obv: P SEPTIMIVS GETA PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head r.

Rev: FORT RED TR P III COS II,  S C in exergue, Fortuna enthroned l., holding rudder and cornucopiae, wheel below seat

.image.png.ae524e0d0fa4e344b46054dde64e776f.png

• Like 5
  • Yes 1