These denarius have fake patinas?

MrZun

3 hours ago, MrZun said:

Just wondering about that, these chocolate patinas seems to have been made artificially

Why do you think that? Is this just a feeling of yours? Or do you also have "technical" arguments to support your assertion?

If you have doubts about a seller goods and see fraud, you should be able to justify this technically. 

1 hour ago, seth77 said:

Why bother to blur the written name of the dealer if you keep the cover design and logo showing the name clearly.

Yeah i missed that part lol

• Like 1

Posted · Supporter
8 hours ago, MrZun said:

Just wondering about that, these chocolate patinas seems to have been made artificially

Screenshot_20240516-085953~2.png

Screenshot_20240516-085946~2.png

Take a look at the leaves on the laurel wreath on Vespasian's head. These are the high contact points and bright which would be normal during handling ( which is why some collectors slab). If the coin was recently artificially toned you would not see this unless the toning was so thin and poor that handling rubbed it off quickly.

The other issue is that you cannot form a perfect opinion from a photograph. "Chocolate" is an unusual colour for a silver coin, black, grey and maybe blue yes but I've not got a chocolate one in a collection of hundreds. My photography is lousy but even I can manipulate a coin to look any colour under the rainbow with photoshop so discretion is needed when evaluating coins as they will always look different, and often better "in the flesh". Some dealers post videos of coins, mainly modern, as moving them around can show the "cartwheel hue" that is removed when cleaning or striking metal flow lines. I have bought several cleaned coins unwillingly but often don't care. For example ,  if I can find a Marc Antony Legate IIII fleet denarius I would buy or trade it at any colour including chocolate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1