Jump to content

Let's get it ithy when talking about our phalli/ Getting ithy with it *NSFW


Ryro

Recommended Posts

Posted · Supporter

Ah, Priapus. The original exuder of BDE:

image3-6.jpg.4e2ef65ebbf6a6a8463f737864231995.jpg

"Etymology

Late Latin ithyphallicus, from Greek ithyphallikos, from ithyphallos erect phallus, from ithys straight + phallos phallus"

Huh, I always assumed ithy meant something like, "massive, hard, or erect" nope. Just straight. 

YWxsdXMuanBn.jpg.36c37529f310513485de7c33e3385f4d.jpg

And is it just me or does the term ithyphallic come off as overly sanitary? Cause we like ancients we can't use words like, erection, or Zeus forbid, hard on?

529px-Bronze_ithyphallic_figurine_with_a_head_of_phalluses.jpg.28a6b381c9ebaa16ee1b4af5b2958f39.jpg

The auction house gave my new straight dicked coin a pretty awesome header. The coin has one too😉

5398530_1712677834.l.jpg.2bc49db401da748a9ac95d2ac05caeaa.jpg

★ Size Matters ★

 

MYSIA. Lampsacus. Domitian, 81-96. (Bronze, 15.5 mm, 4.16 g, 6 h). ΔΟΜΙΤΙΑΝΩ ΚΑΙϹΑΡΙ Laureate head of Domitian to right. Rev. Λ/Α-Μ/Ψ/Α Ithyphallic Priapus on basis to left. RPC II, 890. SNG Copenhagen 235. SNG France 1270-1 ( same obv. die ). Very rare. Slightly off-centre, otherwise, nearly very fine.

 

From the collection of a scholar.

Priapus-fresco-from-Pompeii.jpg.55c7bb69a16f03a264a46df7792a2866.jpg

Other hard on coins:

3142758_1659939290.l-removebg-preview.png.4e20f78a57b39aa8c4b034ef459932c5.png.0e05a133210aa1b76d58da8170d66c8c.png

3142759_1659939291.l-removebg-preview.png.238f12f544b71b655f6257a0a64f7859.png.adc31108b25286117b7a2b1eea1f0d9f.png

IMG_0469.PNG.b921adc4362b7869122eae9895b0a521.png.d5e76464c3d1017a6010e40a6d5acb7b.png

And my little red rooster for good luck:

2897292_1653466299.l-removebg-preview.png.345fe61babc81a65d8d228446e92b2bb.png.0b03cd6192541cb4ad09d94e8a318f60.png

 

So please share your phalli... on coins, Hermes, charms, thoughts or anything to keep it straight. 

winged-penis-pic.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Smile 4
  • Smile 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a fun subcollection, @Ryro! Almost as much fun as a collection of Venus Victrix coins. 

You might find these pages from Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon to be of interest. Ithys does mean "straight," especially in a geometric sense. This is contrasted with orthos, which means straight, too, but more in the sense of "correct" and with more moral overtones (though the semantic Venn diagram overlaps considerably between the terms. Ithyphallos itself referred to the phallos carried in the festivals of Bacchus. Ithyphallikos referred to a poetic meter or poems in such meter that were performed at the festival of Bacchus.

I don't have any Priapus coins. All I have is this microphallic Jupiter -- a sort of anti-Priapus, if you will.

[IMG]
Gallienus, AD 253-268.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.10 g, 20.1 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 261.
Obv: IMP GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: IOVI VLTORI, Jupiter standing, head right, holding lightning bolt in right hand, cloak flying right; S in left field.
Refs: RIC 220F; Göbl 383x; RCV 10247; Cohen 404 var.

Edited by Roman Collector
Add a missing link. But not THE missing link.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, the always popular thread about male hardware. Here's Priapus on a cistophoric tetradrachm of Ephesos. It's a bit difficult to make out his member as it blends in with the rest of the snakes...

cisto.jpeg.e2043c4e4b039413d090d2053a0dd0c4.jpeg

IONIA, Ephesos. Circa 180-67 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26.5mm, 12.67 g, 1h). Cistophoric standard. Dated CY 57 (78/7 BC). Cista mystica with serpent; all within ivy wreath / Two serpents entwined around bow and bowcase; above, Priapos facing; to left, NZ (date) above EΦE, torch to right. Kleiner, Dated 58; DCA 325; SNG Copenhagen 331. Lightly toned, scrape at edge on obverse. Good VF. Rare date, none in CoinArchives. Ex CNG eAuction 534 Lot 87. 

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cales, Campania

265-240 BC
AE 22 (22mm, 6.32g)
O: Head of Athena left, wearing crested Corinthian helmet, all within dotted border.
R: Cock standing right, star behind; CALENΩ downward to right, all within dotted border.
Sambon 916; HN Italy 435; SNG ANS 188; SNG Cop 322; Sear 548
ex Forvm Ancient Coins

Cales~2.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 8
  • Cool Think 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Phil Anthos said:

Cales, Campania

265-240 BC
AE 22 (22mm, 6.32g)
O: Head of Athena left, wearing crested Corinthian helmet, all within dotted border.
R: Cock standing right, star behind; CALENΩ downward to right, all within dotted border.
Sambon 916; HN Italy 435; SNG ANS 188; SNG Cop 322; Sear 548
ex Forvm Ancient Coins

Cales~2.jpg

Ok but, um...oh, fine.

  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter
1 hour ago, Roman Collector said:

What a fun subcollection, @Ryro! Almost as much fun as a collection of Venus Victrix coins. 

You might find these pages from Liddell and Scott's Greek-English Lexicon to be of interest. Ithys does mean "straight," especially in a geometric sense. This is contrasted with orthos, which means straight, too, but more in the sense of "correct" and with more moral overtones (though the semantic Venn diagram overlaps considerably between the terms. Ithyphallos itself referred to the phallos carried in the festivals of Bacchus. Ithyphallikos referred to a poetic meter or poems in such meter that were performed at the festival of Bacchus.

I don't have any Priapus coins. All I have is this microphallic Jupiter -- a sort of anti-Priapus, if you will.

[IMG]
Gallienus, AD 253-268.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.10 g, 20.1 mm, 6 h.
Rome, AD 261.
Obv: IMP GALLIENVS AVG, radiate and cuirassed bust, right.
Rev: IOVI VLTORI, Jupiter standing, head right, holding lightning bolt in right hand, cloak flying right; S in left field.
Refs: RIC 220F; Göbl 383x; RCV 10247; Cohen 404 var.

Funny how the "king of the gods" is more itty than ithy. Zeus the ultimate grower not a shower:

 

2554915_1644203802.l-removebg-preview.png.43e15243d8898735886de56f57fc43ad.png

  • Like 5
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lovely collection @Ryro I don´t have any of those types in my collection. You would think that Hercules with his awesome body and incredible strength would be shown as more endowed than on this coin of Commodus. Looks like a doorbell

4969777_1703192236.l-removebg-preview.png.c51bb667fa72d86998b2adc3bc31ddf1.png

 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4
  • Cool Think 1
  • Shock 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some serious stretching exercises, probably with the purpose of developing great physical condition 

image.png.fb3c4aec05e51fb995d526d79058dee3.png

... but in the end the training provided good results 

image.png.248388629b9eb35eb1a937ffe862de83.png

 

But apparently Marsyas did not reach the same results, hence the frustration and despair 

image.png.18525c00155e14f8b9ab5f73e2d697ef.png

Unfortunately the same situation is with Hercules, but even if he is disappointed, he manages to keep a calm appearance. 

image.png.663d1a9b8629c0baf21c875d8675dfb8.png

  • Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is claimed that Neptune is holding a small dolphin in his hand. Mmmm, I wonder

Agrippa. Struck under his Grandson Caligula, 37-41 AD.
M . AGRIPPA . L . F . COS . III, head left wearing rostral crown / S-C in field flanking Neptune standing facing, head left, naked except for cloak draped behind him & over both arms, holding small dolphin in right hand & vertical trident in left.
AE As 12.62gr, 28mm. RIC 58,Cohen 3.

Fe9QK8ZkKm3mwtC57xMR6Mn6Ab2Trb.jpg.c8241cebad6aea595aa32a3746ec426b.jpg

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Mind blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooo I can finally add to the peen posts!
Thanks to @Ryro, I have been wanting one of these fantastic phallic examples for several years. I was able to win one on my first ever overseas auction and it actually arrived back in January but I didn't have an opportunity to post it yet. 

SeptimiusSeverusAE17NicopolisadIstrumMoesiaInferiorPriapus.png.56c586127c7e7e1e3d0a932f50805660.png

Septimius Severus
AE17
Nikopolis ad Istrum, Moesia Inferior
Obverse: AY KAI CE CEYHΡOC, laureate head right
Reverse: NIKOΠOΛI ΠΡOC ICTΡ, Priapus, standing left, holding back robe, exposing his erect phallus

 

Now I am on the hunt for one with Priapus *ahem* pointing right so that I can have them touch tips. I am a horrible person... 😛

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted · Supporter
2 hours ago, Furryfrog02 said:

Now I am on the hunt for one with Priapus *ahem* pointing right so that I can have them touch tips. I am a horrible person... 😛

Indeed, you are, sir! Why would any self respecting man want to... do... that?🤔

Screenshot_20240427_185659_PicCollage.jpg.0407f5e131a5b7321bd99fafad984c7a.jpg

ah, makes sense. Kind of a rocky 2 vibe😉😉

 

 

rocky-hug.gif

  • Like 4
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Gasp 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we were on CoinTalk and I was wearing my moderator hat, I’d have to censor you. 😉

Since we’re not, and I’m hatless here, I can say, “cool thread, bro!” 😛

I, alas, have nothing in the ithyphallic department.  I wonder if that makes me less of a man?  How to treat my problem?  Meds?  Hmm.  Maybe I just need to buy one.

This is the only thing in my current  collection that has any naughty bits showing, and you’ve gotta squint through your loupe to see it.

IMG_8170.jpeg.70903627209a1b450a01332f3d83f1bb.jpegIMG_8171.jpeg.ab3d5128d250f3bbd898f13533acfb12.jpeg

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

BIGGVS DICKVS

priapus.jpg.0bf82d04190d96c7c0c1fcd9a271831e.jpg

Nicopolis ad Istrum
193-211 A.D.
3.23g
Obverse: AV KAI CEΠ CEVHPOC, laureate head right;
Reverse: NIKOΠOΛI-TΩN ΠPOC IC, Priapus standing and pointing at his penis.

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4
  • Clap 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JayAg47 said:

BIGGVS DICKVS

priapus.jpg.0bf82d04190d96c7c0c1fcd9a271831e.jpg

Nicopolis ad Istrum
193-211 A.D.
3.23g
Obverse: AV KAI CEΠ CEVHPOC, laureate head right;
Reverse: NIKOΠOΛI-TΩN ΠPOC IC, Priapus standing and pointing at his penis.

...What, in case you didn't notice it?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmm... hopefully this doesn't cross the line but, be honest, when you look at my Isaac II here do you see a mappa or do you see an emperor who's, uh, spanking it to an especially attractive angel?

Rasiel

Isaac II  2024-05-10.JPG

  • Laugh 3
  • Mind blown 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...