Latest Roma auction - many items listed "not suitable for US import"

kirispupis

• Benefactor

Recently, I went through the current Roma auction and was intrigued to see a number of items listed as "not suitable for US import".

I must admit I can't find a particular pattern as to why.
- The listings are both on the expensive and cheap end
- There are a number of Seleukids marked, but not all
- There is one Sassanian marked, but the others are fine
- Similarly with the Baktrian coins - maybe half are marked

The best I can tell, coins from modern day Iraq seem to be marked, but I haven't looked at enough of them to say for sure. There's one issue from Sybaris that's marked, and that was obviously not from Iraq.

Would anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if this is related to the lawsuit, or if US customs has clamped down on a particular subset of coins.

• Like 5

It must relate to the statement under all the coins:

"Our commitment to ethical and responsible provenance: the consignor affirms that this auction lot is their lawful property to sell, and where cultural property restrictions may exist, that it meets the requirements to be legally imported into the United States and Germany unless specifically stated otherwise."

This appeared after the lawsuit and presumably they are covering themselves a lot more since then. Anything without a long provenance from a country with a MOU (or on the US banned list)?

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 3

• Benefactor

Has anyone read anything lately about the status of the Richard Beale case? I know he pled guilty last September, and his next court appearance was supposed to be in March 2024, but I haven't seen any updates since then, and can't seem to find the docket report in the usual place.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kirispupis said:

There's one issue from Sybaris that's marked

There's something about that coin, assuming you mean the alliance coin. It wasย  unsold in a 2022 auction by them, and had a strange comment about someย  upcomingย  publication that as far as I know never happened.

Also, the last time they tried to sell it it did not have the "no US purchase" caveat. Despite supposedly being from a pre-1945 collection. Not for me!

ย 

• Like 3

Posted · Supporter

I suppose theย "not suitable for US import" statement makes this sale an important provenance. While non-US customers may be able to buy the coins at discounted price, the coins may be forever doomed for a future sale to the US or even bringing personal collections there.ย 

• Like 3

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

It looks like another deluge of standardized owls, 238 this time, with one additional intermediate Pi Style (worn obverse die it seems).ย  The spigot is wide open.

Lots of Tigranes II tetradrachms as well.ย  If you're looking for a type coin, this might be a good opportunity to acquire a previously pricey coin.

Edited by robinjojo
  • Like 4

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, Deinomenid said:

I bought one coin in the recent auction and was told the bank account had changed yet again. That's not a great sign. Of course they couldย  have had 3 banks in a year for other reasons, but....

I noticed that too and was a bit concerned. I've yet to have an issue with them delivering anything though. They usually ship quickly and it arrives from London to Seattle in a few days.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Has anyone read anything lately about the status of the Richard Beale case? I know he pled guilty last September, and his next court appearance was supposed to be in March 2024, but I haven't seen any updates since then, and can't seem to find the docket report in the usual place.

The case seemed to move on the website and it seems to be progressing very slowly (though I know nothing about these matters).

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcrim_attorney/Detail?which=case&docketNumber=m52H5JZ5W7KM2NEWgvSc5jT9i2eREBcJf_PLUS_ZwWAFKwfI=&courtType=U&countyId=K4i18rFVPQh5HTQ/kUoO3Q==&docketId=3gbtRNdkovun89tcAxf0dg==&docketDseq=T/O1YN_PLUS_BG65HkOeqEnpAkw==&defendantName=Beale,+Richard&county=&court=New+York+Supreme+Criminal+Court&recordType=U&recordNum=

ATB,

Aidan.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
23 minutes ago, akeady said:

That's where I looked earlier: the site must not have been working. Looks like there was an appearance in March, but everything got adjourned until December. Why, I can't speculate.

• Like 3

I'm hoping the absurd restrictions (ooh, scary Syria!) don't spread to vcoins.

I've always been interested in Iranian coins, especially Sasanian (they're just so darn neat), so that's nothing new, but I've also been dipping my toe into coins of the caliphate, just to show what I think of such restrictions.ย  I've also always loved the Seleucids.

I was the kid who rooted for Cobra in the GI Joe cartoons, enjoyed music of the Sex Pistols, etc.ย  I.e. the non-conformist.

• Like 4

• Benefactor
39 minutes ago, panzerman said:

Sincona auction/ also states that US bidders cannot bid on their Iranian (Kian Collection) dueย  too import restrictions. Luckily I can bid on them๐Ÿ˜‰ย less competition.

True, though as I remember you have to pay a 20% import duty that we don't have. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2

Well 13% to be precise. But/ there are ways to avoid that, by sending it discreetly.๐Ÿ˜‡ย I have a fellow in Spain who decided to purchase my entire bug collection over 10 years span. He agreed to buy 3K euros each month/ he then pays for my coin auction wins and I get coin shipped via Spain to me. The Beijing museum also bought a wack of my stuff. Probably should have never gotten into butterflies/ used all that $$$ to have bought coins. Many beautifull things to get/ this is still my number one goal.....sound of that 427 is awesome.

04-1967-corvette-convertible-LS-427-jurius (1).jpg

• Like 6