Tooled Titus Sestertius. Crazy, right?

KenDorney

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, John Conduitt said:

It doesn't look like Titus anymore. Too good looking 🤣

Exactly my thought! Way too soft-looking. If he lost a little weight and grew his hair longer, he could almost be described as Apollonian.  I've never seen a Titus portrait that looks anything like that. 

image.jpeg.153a4018c615a42b446aa9d42532c6fb.jpeg

image.jpeg.7d419e1b72156fada2e1758383480b90.jpeg

• Like 9

On 3/20/2024 at 8:57 PM, KenDorney said:

This was offered to me recently by a well known dealer.  He did not agree with me that it was tooled.  You will likely see it in an auction soon. 

1.jpg

Tooling..The best way to turn an original coin into a fake one....

• Yes 2

On 3/20/2024 at 8:57 PM, KenDorney said:

This was offered to me recently by a well known dealer.  He did not agree with me that it was tooled.

The scecond best thing to do after not buying this coin would be to avoid that seller, right ?

Q

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

And how come a lot of auction coins have that same, greenish look, like the ones DonnaML posted?  I've noticed that on acsearch listings.

Someone has a nice color concoction going it seems, then sprinkle a little dirt on it and wax…

• Yes 1

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

And how come a lot of auction coins have that same, greenish look, like the ones DonnaML posted?  I've noticed that on acsearch listings.

1 hour ago, ela126 said:

Someone has a nice color concoction going it seems, then sprinkle a little dirt on it and wax…

No, not necessarily. Many auction houses turn down the color saturation in their images. It helps the image convey the details of the coin. CNG is one example - their images are desaturated halfway to black-and-white. It makes everything look the same. I'm willing to bet the coins Donna posted have very normal patinas in hand that look quite different. That's not to say coins aren't tooled and repatinated. There are a few dealers that are notorious for it.

Edited by JAZ Numismatics
  • Like 3

Unfortunately I have seen far too many tooled coins. Sometimes there is some indication about "smoothing", but other times no indication. I don't think I have any particular ability to discern a tooled coins, so I wonder if the sellers are just incapable of detecting the signs, or do they choose to ignore them for monetary reasons -- incompetence vs malice. The worst part, is if the coin was originally genuine, it has been ruined forever.

Here is one that popped up recently in my area of interest, with no indication by seller that it has been tooled.

tooled Postumus sestertius.jpg

• Like 5

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, JAZ Numismatics said:

No, not necessarily. Many auction houses turn down the color saturation in their images. It helps the image convey the details of the coin. CNG is one example - their images are desaturated halfway to black-and-white. It makes everything look the same. I'm willing to bet the coins Donna posted have very normal patinas in hand that look quite different. That's not to say coins aren't tooled and repatinated. There are a few dealers that are notorious for it.

Perhaps I should have made clear that the two Titus bronzes I posted aren't mine. They're simply examples I found on acsearch to demonstrate how Titus is usually portrayed, by contrast to the tooled version of him in the OP. So I have no idea what the coins look like in hand, in terms of their patina.

• Like 1