Probus

DimitriosL

A true miracle amongst the mostly unoriginal and deminishing in artistic value coins of the late 3rd century is the coinage of Probus. Unique, bold and of great variety. I recently started learning more about this fascinating chapter of roman numismatic history. What is your favorite/ most unique Probus coins? 

• Like 6
  • Yes 1

I also have many Probus. Picking one is tough. I prefer the Lugdunum mint (>400 coins). Here is one of my better ones.

Obv:– VIRTVS PRO-BI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield, decorated with emperor riding past row of soldiers with shields
Rev:– ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII) Emission 5 Officina 4. End A.D. 277 to Early A.D. 278
References:– Cohen 69. Bastien 256 (2 examples cited). RIC 64 Bust Type G (S)
Appears to be an obverse die match to the plate example in Bastien

RI_132ma_img~0.jpg

I have some decent coins from all the mints.

Here is one from Rome.

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate, bust left in imperial mantle, holding scepter surmounted by eagle
Rev:– SOLI INVICTO, Sol in quadriga riding left, holding globe and whip
Minted in Rome (R in exe) Emission 2. A.D. 277
Reference(s) – RIC 204 Bust type H
Weight 5.63 gms. Size 23.25 mm

RI_132ja_img~0.jpg

• Like 13
  • Heart Eyes 5

22 minutes ago, maridvnvm said:

I also have many Probus. Picking one is tough. I prefer the Lugdunum mint (>400 coins). Here is one of my better ones.

Obv:– VIRTVS PRO-BI AVG, Radiate, helmeted, cuirassed bust left, holding spear and shield, decorated with emperor riding past row of soldiers with shields
Rev:– ADVENTVS PROBI AVG, Emperor riding left, right hand raised, left holding sceptre; at foot, captive
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII) Emission 5 Officina 4. End A.D. 277 to Early A.D. 278
References:– Cohen 69. Bastien 256 (2 examples cited). RIC 64 Bust Type G (S)
Appears to be an obverse die match to the plate example in Bastien

RI_132ma_img~0.jpg

I have some decent coins from all the mints.

Here is one from Rome.

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate, bust left in imperial mantle, holding scepter surmounted by eagle
Rev:– SOLI INVICTO, Sol in quadriga riding left, holding globe and whip
Minted in Rome (R in exe) Emission 2. A.D. 277
Reference(s) – RIC 204 Bust type H
Weight 5.63 gms. Size 23.25 mm

RI_132ja_img~0.jpg

Stunning portrait and superb silvering! Havent seen many in that condition.

• Like 1

They're very neat!  I mainly collect larger or solid silver types, so I have only two or three individually purchased coins of Probus.

My last was in 2009, from a local coin show.  There was an XF silvered example of a normal bust type, priced at $20.  I was shocked by the cheap price, and the dealer misinterpreted my surprise as complaining about the price, and he replied that he wouldn't go any lower. I happily plonked down the $20.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1

34 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

They're very neat!  I mainly collect larger or solid silver types, so I have only two or three individually purchased coins of Probus.

My last was in 2009, from a local coin show.  There was an XF silvered example of a normal bust type, priced at $20.  I was shocked by the cheap price, and the dealer misinterpreted my surprise as complaining about the price, and he replied that he wouldn't go any lower. I happily plonked down the $20.

Dirt cheap! Unfortunately there are no coin shows in my country. Auctions tend to get unreasonably expensive most of the times. 

• Like 1

Yes, Probus was kind to us collectors by producing wonderful portraits and some very unusual legends. Here is one from my collection with the rare DEO ET DOMINO title:

Obv.: IMP DEO ET DOMINO PROBO AVG
Rev.: CLEMENTIA TEMP
BUST TYPE: A2
FIELD / EXERGUE MARKS: -/*/-//KA•Γ•
WEIGHT 4.53g / AXIS: 6h
RIC: 841

From the middle of the 3rd century AD onwards, the traditional form of the title was paid less and less attention in coinage, which eventually culminated in legends with the deus et dominus title. The introduction of the title (in vow form: DOMINO ET DEO) was an initiative of the procurator monetae in Serdica under Aurelianus, who later also honoured Probus and Carus with this title. The title was probably not created at the instigation of the imperial government, but was tolerated by it. See Alföldi, Andreas, Die monarchische Repräsentation im römischen Kaiserreiche, Darmstadt 1980, p. 210 ff.

5.PNG

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart Eyes 2

12 minutes ago, Tejas said:

Yes, Probus was kind to us collectors by producing wonderful portraits and some very unusual legends. Here is one from my collection with the rare DEO ET DOMINO title:

Obv.: IMP DEO ET DOMINO PROBO AVG
Rev.: CLEMENTIA TEMP
BUST TYPE: A2
FIELD / EXERGUE MARKS: -/*/-//KA•Γ•
WEIGHT 4.53g / AXIS: 6h
RIC: 841

From the middle of the 3rd century AD onwards, the traditional form of the title was paid less and less attention in coinage, which eventually culminated in legends with the deus et dominus title. The introduction of the title (in vow form: DOMINO ET DEO) was an initiative of the procurator monetae in Serdica under Aurelianus, who later also honoured Probus and Carus with this title. The title was probably not created at the instigation of the imperial government, but was tolerated by it. See Alföldi, Andreas, Die monarchische Repräsentation im römischen Kaiserreiche, Darmstadt 1980, p. 210 ff.

5.PNG

Very interesting and lovely coin 

• Like 1

image.gif.6c0f4fc361dfd7e5643c8d94075634f0.gif

277 AD. Lugdunum mint. Obv: IMP C PROBVS P F AVG legend with radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: MARS VICTOR legend with Mars advancing right carrying trophy and spear; II in exergue. RIC 84; Sear 11992.3.47 grams.   Ex-Timeline Auctions 2021.

• Like 10

There are a few Mars varieties from Lugdunum. Thgis type with a captive before is wuite scarce.

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– MARS VICTOR, Mars walking right, holding spear and trophy; at foot, captive.
Minted in Lugdunum (unmarked) Emission 7 Officina -. Summer A.D. 281
Reference(s) – RIC 35 Bust Type F (Scarce)

From aureus reverse dies. Same reverse die as aureus - Bastien 301

Weight 4.12g. 22.42mm. 0 degrees

RI_132xx_img.jpg

• Like 12

Probus is outside of my collecting focus but I have two coins struck for him:

1. This is part of the somewhat mysterious EQUITI-series. The mints of Rome and Ticinium struck two different coded series of coins with the letters AEQUIT or EQUITI as fieldmarks for the different officinae. More on this codeword can be found here on @Sulla80's blog and in this article by Gert Boersema. Also note the consular bust featuring the imperial mantle (or tunica palmata) and eagle sceptre.

RomProbusAntoninianMartiPacifTicinum.jpg.d6982f8f0ea6a984068e6b559ffbcc32.jpg

Probus, Roman Empire, AE/BI antoninianus, 281 AD, Ticinium mint. Obv: IMP C PROBVS AVG; radiate bust of Probus l., wearing imperial mantle, and holding eagle-tipped sceptre. Rev: MARTI PACIF; Mars walking l., holding olive-branch, spear and shield; in fields, I – *; in exergue, QXXI. 22mm, 3.38g. Ref: RIV V Probus 508. Ex AMCC 3, lot 571.

2. This one I bought years ago, shortly after I had started to collect. Back then, I was attracted to the portrait style and the unusual mint. Today, I'd probably be more picky and wait for a coin with better surfaces. The mint still makes me keep this coin in my collection, though: Tripolis only struck coins from c. 274 to 286 AD, and this is the only example from this mint that I have. @Valentinian has an educational website on the short-lived Tripolis mint.

RomProbusTripolisantoninianusClementiaJupiterundKaiser(neuestesFoto).png.7b2415951ff59a7061fca39ff3cb27e1.png

Probus, Roman Empire, AE/BI antoninianus, 276–282 AD, Tripolis mint. Obv: IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right. Rev: CLEMENTIA TEMP. Emperor standing right, holding eagle-tipped sceptre, receiving globe (or pileus?) from Jupiter, holding sceptre. Crescent in lower centre; mintmark KA. 23 mm, 4.13 g. Ref: RIC V Probus 928 (crescent).

Edited by Ursus
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Here is another alternative depiction of Mars

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
Rev:– MARTI VICTORI AVG, Mars standing left, holding laurel-branch and spear, shield behind.
Minted in Lugdunum (//II) Emission 7 Officina 2. Summer A.D. 281
Reference:– Bastien 317 (5 examples cited). RIC 88 Bust type C.

4.14 gms

RI_132vv_img.jpg

• Like 13

I have 7 coins of Probus, 6 of which I acquired last year and would like to get more, since I'm still missing a consular bust and the SOLI INVICTO and ADVENTVS reverse types. And the AEQVITI series is also neat... Not to mention all the rarer bust varieties and legends.

Screenshot_20240210-105834.png.13399bc4b93a125b3357bf427246764b.png

Obv: IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG.
Radiate and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: VIRTVS PROBI AVG / XXI VI.
Mars advancing right, holding spear and trophy over shoulder.

RIC 811 Siscia

Weight: 4.30g.
Diameter: 22mm.

Edited by Molag Bal
  • Like 13

Ticinum

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle
Rev:– MARTI PACIF, Mars walking left, holding olive-branch, spear and shield
Minted in Ticinium (I | * / QXXI), Emission 10, Officina 4. A.D. 282
Reference(s) – RIC 508 Bust type H

Part of EQVITI series II (I)

RI_132xf_img.jpg

Siscia

Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG, Radiate bust left in imperial mantle, holding sceptre surmounted by eagle
Rev:– ADVENTVS AVG, Emperor riding left right hand raised, left holding scepter (without captive)
Minted in Siscia (XXIV in exe) Emission 5 Officina 5. A.D. 278
Reference:– RIC 624 Bust type H. Alföldi type 5, n° 96

4.00 gms, 22.11 mm. 180 degrees

RI_132ph_img~0.JPG

• Like 9
  • Heart Eyes 1

@mc9 Full attribuition of your coins below:_

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
Rev:– VIRTVS AVG, Soldier standing left, holding Victory and spear, left hand on shield
Minted in Lugdunum (IIII in exe) Emission 6 Officina 4. A.D. 278 to 279
Reference:– Cohen 816. Bastien 298. RIC 112 Bust type F

Edited by maridvnvm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mc9

That is a nice example of the type.

The same reverse type has quite a few variations. I have a few....

This one is similar to yours but with a less refined bust style.

RI_132br_img~0.jpg

This one has better bust style but a worn reverse die.

RI_132ds_img~0.jpg

Here the bust is draped and seen from the front.

RI_132wr_img~0.jpg

Here the bust is cuirassed only and seen from the rear (quite a scarce bust type for this mint)

RI_132st_img.jpg

Here we have the longer obverse legend "IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG" combined with a draped and cuirassed bust seen from the rear

RI_132sr_img~0.jpg

I am not sure if there is any actual relevance to the direction of the Victory being held but you can clearly see that the Victories occur facing in each direction.

• Like 4
  • Smile 1