The Prep-Goth/Nerd-Jock scale applied to Roman emperors LOL!

This cracks me up! And it's astonishingly insightful.

May be an image of text that says 'ROMAN EMPERORS 27 Bce-235 ce (r. 3+ years) JOCK Trajan Septimius Severus Vespasian Caracalla Alexander Severus PREP Tiberius Domitian Lucius Verus Commodus GOTH Augustus Antoninus Pius Caligula Claudius Elagabalus Marcus Aurelius Nero Hadrian NERD'

I personally fall in the prep-nerd quadrant. It's no wonder I like Antoninus Pius, Marcus Aurelius, Claudius and Augustus. Here are representative bronzes of the nerdy-prep emperors. In alphabetical order and clockwise in the quadrant:

AntoninusPiusVOTASVSCEPTADECIIICOSIIIIsestertius.jpg.dce980fa908bf56796f1747844725089.jpg

AugustusROMETAVGasLugdunum.jpg.d5dd05f6fcdf5ee7467e13cb0c879c66.jpgClaudiusLIBERTASAVGVSTAas.jpg.4e2070ed9ae2a4c0527a5a99091fe898.jpg

MarcusAureliusVOTASOLDECENNCOSIIISCsestertius.jpg.f5f16228017ec1ef4e81b46a8243dee3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Smile 1
  • Smile 2
  • Laugh 7

I disagree with some points on the graph! Domitian was certainly a nerd, owing to his obsession with economic stability, administration and his knowledge of literature! I’d also say he was quite preppy due to being a disciplinarian and also in his desire for conservative morals, to the point he held the post of Censor in perpetuity! 

I also think that Elagabalus has to be as far over to the Goth side as possible, if that’s supposed to mean “counter-culture”. He did eschew religious, social and gender norms.

Although Hadrian has a lot of nerdy interests, he was also obsessed with hunting, military drills and physical fitness! It seems unfair to put him as far down the nerd column.

Photoon08-08-2023at14_343.jpg.7097723d58fa10244d6c37d4782cccaf.jpgPhotoon08-08-2023at14_342.jpg.ccd13f313c0c5cae1b9e6f3a07823b10.jpg

Domitian as Perpetual Censor (CENS P)

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 11
  • Yes 1

• Benefactor

Great post, coins, and info-graphic, @Roman Collector!

When I first saw the chart I began to have an unpleasant flashback to my high school days 🤢 There should probably be a category for "stoners." I’ve read that Marcus Aurelius may have been an opium user. Anyway, I’m not going to post which category I belonged to 😵‍💫

image.jpeg.f9eb503db0b723b5245ef91b3466fb1c.jpeg

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 6
  • Yes 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

I don’t understand the category “Goth”, especially with imperors like Caligula and Elagabalus being attributed to this group. The Goths provided some of the most capable rulers of the entire Roman Empire, especially if we include men like the Thuringian/Scirian Odovaker, or the Vandal Stilicho not to mention Theoderic the Great.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marcosx said:

I always thought Gordian III looked like a young Eminem the rapper also the professional poker player Tom Dwan also reminded me of Gordian III or Octavian.

GordianEminem.jpg.df4da2c140b6d8a1cb0698409fe93d68.jpg

Eminem on a Roman Provincial coin 🤣

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

4 hours ago, Tejas said:

I don’t understand the category “Goth”, especially with imperors like Caligula and Elagabalus being attributed to this group. The Goths provided some of the most capable rulers of the entire Roman Empire, especially if we include men like the Thuringian/Scirian Odovaker, or the Vandal Stilicho not to mention Theoderic the Great.

The term refers to the Goth music and fashion of the late 20th and early 21st century. Goths like THIS, not Goths of history.

Mastering a Corporate Goth style | Killstar

• Like 2

Well, if I was a smart nerd, I would make a star diagram of this. But a quick count of the number of coins in my Roman Imperial and Roman Provincial collection certainly fall in the Prep-Nerd side of the spectrum. Of course, there are many other considerations affecting the number of types available.

image.png.81794e8b53151322463b7a4045729aa8.png

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 1:50 PM, Roman Collector said:

The term refers to the Goth music and fashion of the late 20th and early 21st century. Goths like THIS, not Goths of history.

Mastering a Corporate Goth style | Killstar

Ah ok, lunatics, now I get the point with Commodus, Caligula and Nero being like the kids in the picture.

Edited by Tejas
  • Like 1