Huge Norman coin hoard found

lordmarcovan

• Benefactor
Posted (edited)

Wow, what an amazing find. Enough to purchase 500 sheep which would have made one a wealthy man at the time. Interestingly it doubles the amount of Harold coins known to exist!!! Last but not least, here is the accompanying tapestry from the period...showing the comet which was an omen of Harold's downfall..."They wonder at the star"

bayeux.jpg.ab80484adbeea152b2eb126596b0d723.jpg

Edited by Ancient Coin Hunter
  • Like 6

Huge thanks for the alert!  ...Wow.  The mules are fascinating.  It always looked as if the Normans had appropriated the Anglo-Saxon minting infrastructure more or less wholesale --just compare how awful the Norman deniers are to late Saxon and (even) Anglo-Norman pennies.  But mules?  Wow, again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

This story is from August 2019, almost 4 1/2 years ago. Does anyone know what ultimately happened to this hoard? Did the UK government claim it?

According to the PAS record for the Chew Valley Hoard:

"Subsequent action after recording: Acquired by museum after being declared Treasure."

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/939009

It's unclear whether the the hoard is still at the British Museum (where it was conserved and recorded) or whether it has been acquired otherwise as suggested by the Wikipedia article:

"The coins are being examined at the British Museum, but may be acquired by Bath and North East Somerset council for display at the Roman Baths in Bath."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chew_Valley_Hoard

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Does anyone know what ultimately happened to this hoard?

It was supposed to be bought by the Roman Baths in umm Bath, but they went  into meltdown not long after due to covid. (Owned by local council and they were hoping to come up with a lot of  money.) But it all went oddly silent nonetheless as they were not actually declared treasure I think. Or at least  it seemed that way. The BM had finished their process by ~ the time of this article.

For visitors from foreign lands, don't be  put off by the name Chew Valley. Beautiful area, and excellent for playing the "Is that really the name of the village!?" game.

Chew Stoke, Temple Cloud, Chew  Magna, Queen Charlton, Norton Malreward and  of course Nempnett Thrubwell.

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

4 hours ago, DLTcoins said:

According to the PAS record for the Chew Valley Hoard:

"Subsequent action after recording: Acquired by museum after being declared Treasure."

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/939009

It's unclear whether the the hoard is still at the British Museum (where it was conserved and recorded) or whether it has been acquired otherwise as suggested by the Wikipedia article:

"The coins are being examined at the British Museum, but may be acquired by Bath and North East Somerset council for display at the Roman Baths in Bath."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chew_Valley_Hoard

I'm not sure what the Roman Baths at Bath want with a large hoard of Saxon and Norman pennies. Surely they're 1000 years too new. I, on the other hand, could do with the supply of Harold II pennies doubling.

• Smile 1
  • Smile 2

12 hours ago, DonnaML said:

This story is from August 2019, almost 4 1/2 years ago. Does anyone know what ultimately happened to this hoard? Did the UK government claim it?

@DonnaML, it eventually had to sink in (after, instead of before work) that the BBC article was even vaguely familiar.  But to @Deinomenid's point, that was prior to the earlier phases of COVID.

(During which, in anticipation of the first vaccination, I for one was 'sheltering in place' for a year and three months ...with correspondingly violent affects on my attention span, never mind memory.  ssssSlowly digging out from that smoking crater.)

And it needs saying, @Deinomenid, the names of those little towns are The Best. 

From the only time I was in England (on a truly epic family vacation, at age 11), our two weeks were divided evenly between London (running to the Tower,* and Far too little time at the BM), and semi-rural Kent --well, okay, with Canterbury (Cathedral, Check; an amazingly intact stretch of the city walls, surely going back to the 13th century, Yep) in between.  In rural Kent, we were tooling around on two-lane roads --once having to wait for a herd of sheep to cross-- over lovely, gently rolling hills, looking for small (but inexhaustibly exquisite) churches, where they still didn't blink about letting you do brass rubbings. 

Regarding the wonderful town names that you mention, the only examples that readily come to mind are 'Great Chart' and 'Little Chart,' right, both in Kent.  But yes, even the online version of the Victoria History is full of them.  You have to wonder how names like that evolved, with so many centuries between their Old English or even Norman French origins, and what they look like now.

...And, sure, why not.  This is the best you're likely to get from here, regarding my contention of the apparently summary Norman appropriation of the existing, late Anglo-Saxon minting infrastructure.  (Right, cf. the mules of Harold and William found in this amazing hoard.)

Starting with my latest Anglo-Saxon example.

Z:\EDWARD_TC,_OBV.jpgZ:\EDWARD_TC,_REV_1.jpg

Edward ‘the Confessor,’ king of England 1042-1066.

AR cut halfpenny of Lincoln or Stamford, ‘Bust Facing /Small Cross’ type, c. 1062-1065.
Obv.  Edward facing, crowned; cruciform arrangement of pellets on the crown extending to the upper part of the outer edge.
(From 1 o’clock:)  +EAD[PARD REX A –or variant]E + (‘EADWARD REX ANGLIE;’ Edward, King of England).
Rev.  Small cross.
[(+?)L]EFPINE OI\[I (Lincoln or Stamford; numerous Old English orthographic variants)]  (‘LE[O]FWINE ON (...Lincoln or Stamford);’ the moneyer Leofwine in Lincoln or Stamford.) 
North 830 (and pp. 184-5, ‘Kings of All England: Mints and Moneyers’), Spink 1183.

You can compare the artistry of that to this ducal issue, often attributed (especially online) to William the Bastard.

image.jpeg.29acc6d42792fdedd93ba9b8f5ebacb1.jpeg

Normandy: Rouen.  Denier, frankly better than most 11th-early 12th century examples.  (...And, thank you, just look at it!)

Obv.  "Anépigraphe [Duplessy]."  Triangles (very residually riffing off of Richard I's perpetuation of the Carolingian 'temple' motif); annulets, central cross, and pellets.  Trace elements of an outer edge legend, not present or noted in Duplessy's example.

Rev.  Cross, with the typically, distinctively Norman ducal four pellets in each angle.  

[One of the last, 11th-c. issues to include the mint signature; even if you can squint it out, it's a good day:] +[R]OTOMAGVS (the 'S' retrograde and couchant, as noted by Duplessy).

Duplessy 29 (more cautiously attributing the issue to "Richard II (996-1026) et successeurs").

Again, for anyone tuning in late, that gives you the contrast between the more or less contemporaneous issues from the end of the Anglo-Saxon period, and the corresponding interval in the duchy of Normandy.  Compared to the latter, the Anglo-Saxon monetary standards and policies were no less advanced than the attendant esthetics.

Here's my example of what William 'the Conqueror' (as of just lately) proceeded to do with the minting infrastructure in England.  Yes, another cut halfpenny.

http://historiccoinage.com/collection/images/coins/87256Wm1obv,2.JPGhttp://historiccoinage.com/collection/images/coins/63337W1d,rev.JPG

AR cut halfpenny, of the First Profile type (1066-1067) of Thetford, Norfolk.
Obv.  William facing left, crowned [holding sceptre].
[From lower left:  +PILL]EM./ REXI  (‘WILLEMI REXI;’ of William, the King --including the Old English wynn ('P') for 'WILLEM'.  Old English letters recur in early Anglo-Norman pennies, maybe as late as Henry I.)
Rev.  Floriate cross. 
[(EAD- /GOD-)P]IIIE ON –D[EOTFOR]  (‘EADWINE /GODWINE ON THEOTFOR;’ the moneyer Eadwine or Godwine, in Thetford).
North 839 (and p. 196, ‘Normans /Mints and Moneyers,’ entry for Thetford), Spink 1250.

Thetford is fun for still having the substantial motte of a Norman castle (raised by the early Bigod earls of Norfolk), which incorporated earthworks going all the way back to a Britonic (/Celtic) hill-fort, maybe at least a millennium earler.

undefined

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thetford_Castle 

*...Okay, this just happened to be the summer of 1973.  In describing Traitors' Gate (for anyone tuning in late, the one allowing access from the Thames), the beefeater who was leading the tour took great delight in giving its former name, going back to Edward I: "...Water Gate!"  I'll never stop needing that. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 4