Anniversary of the Death of Commodus

LONGINUS

• Benefactor

The date of a murder is not a day I wish to celebrate regardless of how depraved

and malevolent the victim may have been — but it is well worth noting.

image.jpeg.eb99dc3cdd529ac74cab0a12b1c5e436.jpeg

Please post your coins of Commodus or any other emperor whose behavior was less than commendable.

I know we have many to choose from.

Edited by LONGINUS
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Smile 1
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

@LONGINUS - you consistently find the greatest old paintings to use in these presentations!

I can only recall owning two coins of Commodus, neither of which was particularly impressive.

The first was this denarius from my old 2007 novice collection.  (The images, alas, were created with a flatbed scanner.)

56725B74-3EF8-474E-8AC2-011E70C01E3F.png.f3a0e6ceceeffaffa66a300c06fd5c07.png

The second was this cheap sestertius: low grade, but appealing enough for a $10 coin.

9C237EDE-5748-4435-B8F7-9F2C0CD6B8DD.png.a3649c7afcac0b9734673a01f0ac5151.png

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

• Benefactor
2 hours ago, lordmarcovan said:

@LONGINUS - you consistently find the greatest old paintings to use in these presentations!

Always great to see your posts, Rob!

The truth is the illustrations and paintings are out of my eccentric imagination. I’m using an artificial intelligence — A.I. illustration program combined with Adobe PhotoShop and Adobe InDesign to create faux Renaissance paintings. The program works by typing in the elements you want in the artwork and the style of image you want to produce for example — Renaissance, Victorian, Expressionistic, Cubist, and etc. Your typed text is actually creating the illustration. You are literally painting a picture with words. I take the A.I. image from there into PhotoShop and manipulate the image further and then into InDesign for the poster layout. It’s all great fun and creating the artwork to display my coins is a major part of the hobby for me. I love it ❤️❤️❤️!

• Heart Eyes 1
  • Mind blown 1
  • Shock 1

11 hours ago, LONGINUS said:

not a day I wish to celebrate regardless of how depraved

and malevolent the victim

...yeah but it couldn't have happened to a more deserving dude 😛    HAPPY NEW YEAR! 😄

Commodus denarius 1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Happy New Year to you all.  My latest Commodus is from the last year of his reign.  I had a difficult time attributing it, for reasons I try to describe below (if anybody has corrections or clarifications, I'd be much obliged):

image.jpeg.e3baa908edd0ffe92361ce0d477dc5ba.jpeg

Commodus   Denarius (192 A.D.)  Rome Mint L AEL AVREL COMM AVG P FEL, laureate head right / P M TR P XVII IMP VIII COS VII P P, Fides Militum standing left holding standard and cornucopiae, star in right field RIC III 234; BMCRE 318-321; Cohen RSC 583a. (2.56 grams / 17 x 16 mm) eBay Dec. 2023   

Note:  Three types in OCRE:

RIC III 232:  No star, standing right

RIC III 233:  No star, standing left

RIC III 234:  Star, standing left

For some reason, many auctions with stars cite RIC 233.  Also, Wildwinds cites RIC 233 only,  "star in left or right field, or no star.  RIC 233, RSC 583-583a, BMC 316-317"

British Museum citations are confusing:  RIC 234 is not cited at all, though four of  them match (with star)

BMCRE numbers/stars:  

316:  No star (RIC 232); this seems to be an error; Fides is standing left like all the others; OCRE says she should be standing right on RIC 232. 

317:  Star left (RIC 233)

318-321:  Star right (RIC 233)

"The presence of the star on some coins issued late in Commodus' reign is referred to in BMC merely as a good omen, however Herodian records that a comet appeared at that time." Agora Auctions

• Like 5
  • Clap 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

5 hours ago, LONGINUS said:

Always great to see your posts, Rob!

The truth is the illustrations and paintings are out of my eccentric imagination. I’m using an artificial intelligence — A.I. illustration program combined with Adobe PhotoShop and Adobe InDesign to create faux Renaissance paintings. The program works by typing in the elements you want in the artwork and the style of image you want to produce for example — Renaissance, Victorian, Expressionistic, Cubist, and etc. Your typed text is actually creating the illustration. You are literally painting a picture with words. I take the A.I. image from there into PhotoShop and manipulate the image further and then into InDesign for the poster layout. It’s all great fun and creating the artwork to display my coins is a major part of the hobby for me. I love it ❤️❤️❤️!

That's all the more amazing!  😲

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 1