DonnaML's Top 25 Roman Imperial Coins for 2023

DonnaML

• Benefactor

Believe it or not, I did make an effort to narrow the list, and I did cut it down from the 45 or 50 I started with!  (After this list is done, all that remains is my Roman Republican list, and that will definitely be shorter because I don't think I bought as many as 10 new Republican coins this year.)

Part I: Denarii and Antoninianii.

1.  Trajan AR Denarius, AD 113, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right with light drapery on far shoulder, IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI PP / Rev. Female figure personifying the Via Traiana, nude above waist, reclining right (from viewer’s perspective) on rock outcropping, head turned to right; supporting wheel set on knee with right hand, and holding branch with left hand,  S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI; in exergue, VIA TRAIANA. RIC II 266, RSC II 648 (ill. p. 102), BMCRE III 487, Sear RCV II 3173 (ill. p. 105). 18 mm., 3.48 g., 6 h. Purchased from Classical Numismatic Group, LLC (CNG) E-Auction 531, Jan. 26, 2023.*

image.jpeg.668858b7f58e240d2c94126bdef7e83c.jpeg

*This issue “records the construction in AD 109 of the Via Traiana, an important highway which replaced the Via Appia as the preferred route between Beneventum [in Campania]  and the port city of Brundisium on the Atlantic coast.” Sear RCV II, p. 106.

2.  Trajan AR Denarius, ca. AD 115 (Sear). Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder, IMP TRAIANVS AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI PP / Rev. Trajan’s deified father, Marcus Ulpius Traianus, bareheaded and togate, sits left on a curule chair, feet on stool, holding patera in extended right hand and straight scepter upright in left hand, DIVVS PATER – TRAIAN. RIC II Trajan 252, RSC II Trajan 140 (ill. p. 88), BMCRE III Trajan 500 (p. 101) (ill. Pl. 17 no. 20), Sear RCV II 3323 (ill. p. 124). 19 mm., 2.57 g. Purchased from Gorny & Mosch, Munich, Germany, Online Auction 299, 7 Nov. 2023, Lot 3693.*

image.png.872fc79b45415d2de0e2500209b9ae9d.png

*See commentary at Sear RCV II p. 124: “Trajan’s father, M. Ulpius Traianus, came from Italica in Baetica (southern Spain) and commanded Legio X Fretensis under Vespasian during the Jewish War. He was later granted patrician rank by the Emperor Vespasian and honoured with a consulship, probably in AD 70. Governor of Syria for several years in the mid-70s, the highly successful public career of Trajan Senior culminated with the prestigious proconsulship of Asia during the reign of Titus. His death probably occurred around AD 100, but his deification and appearance on the Imperial coinage did not occur until late in the reign of his son, the Emperor Trajan.”

3.  Hadrian AR Denarius, ca. 130 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 168: Group 9, “time of the visit to Egypt”), Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, HADRIANVS - AVG COS III P P / Rev. Romulus [or: statue of Romulus in southern exedra of Forum of Augustus], bareheaded, in military dress with cape, advancing right holding transverse spear in right hand and trophy over left shoulder [Spolia Opima: weapons of an enemy defeated in single combat], ROMVLO - CONDITORI [Romulus the Founder]. RIC II.3 Hadrian 1424 & Pl. 29 (Head type A) (2019 edition); old RIC 266 (1926 ed.); RSC II 1316 (rev. ill. p. 154); BMCRE III Hadrian 710 (ill. Pl. 61 No. 2); Sear RCV II 3538 (obv. var. w/drapery on far shoulder); Strack 263 [Strack, Paul L., Untersuchungen zur römischen Reichsprägung des zweiten Jahrhunderts, Teil II: Die Reichsprägung zur Zeit des Hadrian (Stuttgart, 1931)]. 18 mm., 3.10 g., 6 h. Purchased Sep. 2023 from Eric Kondratieff, Bowling Green, KY; ex Heritage Auctions, Oct. 12, 2022 Lot 62255 (“From the Historical Scholar Collection”) (formerly in NGC slab, Cert. No. 6327597-008, Graded XF [see https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6327597-008/NGCAncients/]). *

image.png.d77c464761c5e8a4629b56448e6acd27.png

*Very surprisingly, this reverse type of Hadrian, issued in the form of aurei, denarii, and sestertii (RIC II.3 1422-1431, 2891-2892, 3180) appears to represent the first instance in ancient Roman numismatics -- whether Republican, Imperial, or Provincial -- of a coin depicting Romulus as an individual figure (i.e., apart from his appearances with Remus in the “she-wolf and twins” grouping), as “Conditori” or otherwise. The indexes to Crawford and BMCRR list no individual Roman Republican examples (unless one counts the C. Memmius type [Crawford 427/2] with an obverse portraying Quirinus, who was sometimes identified with Romulus in his deified aspect; see my example posted as the fourth of four coins at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/2272-romulus-reemus-couldnt-they-have-just-made-ice-cream-together-like-ben-and-jerry/#comment-37898). The same is true for Provincial coinage according to RPC Online, and for Imperial coinage prior to this reverse type of Hadrian, according to OCRE. (Even after Hadrian, Romulus appears individually, as far as I can determine, only on coins of Antoninus Pius and Commodus.) As for the reason why Romulus was never depicted individually on the coinage in the more than 300 years of Roman coin issues prior to Hadrian, I can’t even speculate. Theories are welcome.

Although it has nothing to do with the reason for depicting Romulus individually on the coinage for the first time under Hadrian, I have seen it suggested (including by the person who sold me the coin) that the reverse type either was intended to depict, or was modeled after, the prominent statue of Romulus in the southern exedra of the Forum of Augustus. As noted at https://atouchofrome.com/forum-of-augustus-explained.html, a website discussing the Forum in detail, a “very large statue is displayed in the centre of the back wall” in this area; “this is Romulus holding Spolia Opima (weapons of an enemy defeated in single combat).” See this plan of the Forum at https://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/forumaugplan.jpg, showing the location of the Romulus statue on the upper right:

image.png.1b95e05d28cfb9ddb78b03d172bdf7b4.png

See also this explanation at https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/imperialfora/augustus/exedrae.html :

“Ovid attests that the mythical ancestors of Augustus were placed in the exedrae, hemicycles or semi-circular apses that open behind the colonnade of the porticoes. The back wall of the porticoes and the curved walls of the hemicycles were articulated with engaged columns that framed a series of rectangular niches that held portrait busts representing the dual ancestry of Augustus.

In the northwest exedra were the gens Julia, including a statue of Aeneas in the central niche. The descendent of Venus, he represented pietas or piety. Carrying his aged father and holding the hand of his son, he led them away from burning Troy. On either side are thought to have been his descendants: the legendary kings of Alba Longa, which had been founded by Aeneas' son, and where Romulus and Remus were said to have been born.

In the southeast exedra were the heroes of Rome's past. A statue of Romulus, bearing spolia opima (the arms of a defeated enemy won in single combat), represented virtus or courage, which Augustus now claimed for himself. Filling the niches on either side were the principes and triumphatores of the Republic, whose statues may have continued down the colonnaded porticoes, their deeds and achievements recorded in inscriptions that served as models of conduct for future generations (Suetonius, XXXI.5). By this pedigree, Augustus associated himself with Aeneas and Venus, his divine mother, and with Romulus, the son of Mars and founder of Rome. The pietas of Aeneas is suggested in Augustus having avenged Caesar's death, the virtus of Romulus in his recovering the standards lost to the Parthians and now dedicated in the new temple.

(Emphasis added.) See also https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/imperialfora/augustus/forumaugustum.html:

“Flanking the temple and running the length of the square were two porticoes, which may have served as venues for the courts of justice. Behind this colonnade were two large hemicycles or semi-circular exedrae. Here, says Suetonius, Augustus

‘honoured the memory of the leaders who had raised the estate of the Roman people from obscurity to greatness. Accordingly he restored the works of such men with their original inscriptions, and in the two colonnades of his forum dedicated statues of all of them in triumphal garb, declaring besides in a proclamation: I have contrived this to lead the citizens to require me, while I live, and the rulers of later times as well, to attain the standard set by those worthies of old' (XXXI.5).

One showed Aeneas, the mythical ancestor of the Julian family, fleeing Troy with his father and son; the other, Romulus, the founder of Rome. Each was surrounded by their respective descendants, the Julio-Claudians and the illustres viri of Rome, whose statues had marble plaques recording their deeds to serve as a reminder to all of the standard they had set. Borrowing from Virgil's Aeneid, the decorative program of the forum combined myth and history to construct a new national mythology, one that, instead of looking to the future, was directed from the present back to the past.”

Although I’m not aware that any ancient author described the precise appearance of this statue of Romulus -- the product of one illustrator’s imagination can be seen at https://atouchofrome.com/images/forums/forum-of-augustus-exedra-interior-with-lawcourt-in-year-2-BC.webp -- the depiction on the reverse of my coin certainly fits the general description.  And, based on the subsequent contributions to the subject by @Eric K. (from whom I bought the coin), it now seems quite likely to me that a painting of Romulus carrying the spolia opima, found in Pompeii together with one of Aeneas and Anchises:

spacer.png

--  images that "likely represent the statue groups created for the Summi Viri monument in the Forum Augustum, Aeneas standing at the head of the Julian line of ancestors, Romulus at the head of Rome’s triumphators" -- constitutes rather strong evidence that the depiction of Romulus on the Hadrian denarius (and several later types) was modeled on the Romulus statue. If the statue was reproduced in the form of a painting in Pompeii, I think it's safe to say it was reproduced elsewhere in the Empire and in Rome itself, and would presumably have been a familiar image. It's a rather close match to the coin, except that Romulus is shown advancing on the coin as opposed to standing in the painting.

In any event, @Eric K. seems to have been the first to notice the connection, and I'm grateful to him for pointing it out. Here is a black-and-white reproduction of the entire relevant page from his book chapter, with the applicable quotation from Ovid at the top, and images of two aurei of Antoninus Pius, respectively depicting Romulus and Aeneas with Anchises:image.png.b3bb61f20bf1c1c02bc41d9bfdaca462.png

And here's a color image, from acsearch, of the spectacular CNG example of the Antoninus Pius aureus depicting Romulus (clearly not Mars because the figure is bareheaded; see the article cited in my previous comment), which sold in 2012 to our own @AncientJoe (and most definitely not to me!):

image.png.686843fe8f1edcfe7481164ac17e20f9.png

For the full discussion, see the original thread at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5014-first-roman-coin-type-with-individual-depiction-of-romulus-youll-never-guess-when-it-was/

4.  Hadrian, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, AD 121 (late) - 123 (Group 3, see RIC II.3 p. 109). Obv. Laureate head right (no drapery, truncation with part of upper shoulder line viewed from behind), IMP CAESAR TRAIAN – HADRIANVS AVG / Rev. Oceanus with crab-claw horns, reclining left, leaning on dolphin (tail up), with his head propped on left hand, and holding up anchor with right hand, P M – TR P COS – III. 19 mm., 3.17 g. RIC II.3 520 (ill. Pl. 12) (2019 ed.) (“Scarce”), RSC II 1109, Sear RCV II 3518 (ill. p. 149) BMCRR III Hadrian 127. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 628 [with old coin envelope].*

image.jpeg.b2352766e955387f58017136db83f44b.jpeg

*See BMCRR III, Hadrian Introduction, p. cxxxii: “Oceanus, picturesquely defined by claws on the head, dolphin and anchor at side, clearly marks the way of Hadrian to Britain.” (Hadrian traveled from Gaul to Britain in AD 122; see Clive Foss, Roman Historical Coins (Seaby, London, 1990), p. 109.) To the best of my knowledge, based on a search of OCRE, this type is the first of only three Roman Imperial coins to depict Oceanus. See John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, Seaby, 1990), entry for “Oceanus” at p. 225: “In Greek and Roman mythology this was the name of the river which was believed to encircle the earth. He was represented in art in the form of a river god with added marine attributes. Oceanus is found on a denarius of Septimius Severus of AD 209, alluding to the emperor’s crossing to Britain, and on a medallion of Constans I (see Bononia).”

Thus, although this type was minted a decade before the coins generally considered part of the Travel Series or "Provinces Cycle" -- which were issued towards or after the end of Hadrian's travels -- it clearly contemplates travel, and effectively serves as a precursor to the Travel Series. So I think I'll consider it an honorary member of that series.

5. Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 173: Group 10, “Provinces Cyle”) [136 AD according to Sear RCV II p. 148]. Obv. Bare-headed draped bust right, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Nilus, naked to waist, reclining right, resting right arm on urn[?] and holding cornucopiae in left hand; above Nilus’s feet, hippo standing left with head raised towards Nilus (mouth open, left ear visible), leaning against Nilus’s upraised left knee [or a rock?]; crocodile right in waters below; NILVS above.  RIC II.3 1547 (ill. Pl. 33) (2019 ed.); RSC II 990; BMCRE III Hadrian 860; Sear RCV II 3508 (ill. p. 148) (obv. var. laureate head). 18x19 mm., 3.30 g.  Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 647; ex C.J. Martin Coins (London, UK) (purchased Dec. 1997) (see notation on old coin envelope accompanying coin).

image.jpeg.4c97b10b7e1fbd81b92ef0e8916191f4.jpeg

6.  Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 173: Group 10, “Provinces Cyle”) [136 AD according to Sear RCV II p. 147]. Obv.  Laureate head right, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Italia standing three-quarters left, holding sceptre in right hand and cornucopiae in left, ITA – LIA. RIC II.3 1540 (ill. Pl. 33) (2019 ed.); RSC II 869 (ill. p. 139); BMCRE III Hadrian 853 (ill. Pl. 63 no. 14), Sear RCV II 3499 (obv var. bare head). 17 mm., 2.76 g. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 646; ex Spink & Son Ltd. (with old Spink coin envelope & coin tag stating price of 80 GBP).

image.jpeg.86a5662a967ed2dffb057565b7c2bf5c.jpeg

7.  Hadrian AR Denarius, Rome Mint 133-c. 135 AD. Obv. Laureate head right, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Tellus (Earth) standing left, tunic to her knees, holding a plough-handle with her right hand and a rake (or hoe) over her left shoulder, two ears of grain growing from ground behind her, TELLVS – STABIL [an abbreviated form of TELLVS STABILITA, loosely translated as “the Earth securely established”; see footnote]. RIC II.3 Hadrian 2052 & Pl. 38 (2019 edition) [noting that some specimens of the type have no rake or no ears of grain]; old RIC II Hadrian 276 (1926 ed.); RSC II Hadrian 1427; Sear RCV II 3543 (obv. portrait var.); BMCRE III Hadrian 741; Strack 275 [Strack, Paul L., Untersuchungen zur römischen Reichsprägung des zweiten Jahrhunderts, Teil II: Die Reichsprägung zur Zeit des Hadrian (Stuttgart, 1931)]. 17.7 mm., 2.72 g. Purchased from Odysseus Numismatique [Julien Cougnard], Montpellier, France, 4 Nov. 2023; ex Fraysse & Associés Auction Numismatique, 19 April 2023, Collection Y.K. [Yves Kolb], Hôtel Drouot, Paris (Sabine Bourgey, Expert), (part of) Lot 190 .*

image.png.0ac78c866548462851cc6de8598bbecd.png

* Pedigree: Yves Kolb (1903-1979) and his father Dr. Pierre Kolb (1875-1949) were both prominent French collectors of ancient coins, and long-time members of the Société Française de Numismatique. Yves inherited a large part of his father’s collection after the latter’s death, and after his own death in 1979 his heirs retained his collection until the April 2023 auction referenced in text. Here is a copy of his father Pierre Kolb’s obituary from the October 1949 Bulletin of the Société, mentioning Yves Kolb as well:

unnamed(1).png.7762cb7e8eacc4e2dfc1542035b59847.png

Note the presence of M. Babelon (Jean, not Ernst). I wonder if Pierre Prieur was related to Michel Prieur.

Tellus Stabil: Regarding the reverse of this type, see John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London 1990), entry for “Tellus” at p. 300: “Tellus. ‘Earth’, both in the sense of ‘ground’ and of the inhabited world. From Hadrian to Commodus some coins and medallions were issued with the legend TELLVS STABILITA [here abbreviated as TELLVS STABIL] claiming that the world was, as it were, securely established by the emperor. Tellus is represented as a female figure with the attributes of plough-handle, rake, ears of grain, cornucopiae, globe, vine-branch or basket of fruit.”

See also the detailed discussion of the Hadrian types depicting Tellus at the blog of @Sulla80 at https://www.sullacoins.com/post/hadrian-s-stable-earth . Among other things, @Sulla80 quotes this description of Tellus in the book Dictionary of Roman Religion by Lesley Adkins (1996) (available at https://archive.org/details/dictionaryofroma0000adki/mode/2up ) :

image.png.6bd0f8e2b7d75f8f9574d2aa93f300c2.png

As @Sulla80 points out, citing @Valentinian's website (see augustuscoins.com/ed/unique/unique4.html#TELLVS), this particular reverse is unique to Hadrian, although both Hadrian and Commodus issued coins with a reclining Tellus on the reverse. He proceeds to summarize the varying interpretations of the type that different authorities have advanced:

“There are various interpretations and connections made for this reverse:

Does it refer to Roman desire for Italian agricultural self-sufficiency? Is it a welcoming coin as Hadrian returns to Rome? Is it a reference to the many provinces of Rome and the expanse of Rome's peaceful territory? Does it recognize Hadrian's generosity in his travels in the Roman provinces? Is there an earthquake connection? Could it be a 20th Anniversary Coin?

Does it recognize Hadrian's largess in his travels in the Provinces?

In my older copy of RIC (1926) Mattingly and Sydenham summarize as: issued between his return to Rome in 134 and his death in 138, "Tellus Stabilita sums up the results of his beneficient activities in the Empire".

Does it refer to Roman desire for Italian agricultural self-sufficiency?

A Sutherland review published in 1937 of the Mattingly Volume III of "Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum" published in 1936 comments:

"Hadrian's twofold Tellus Stabilita type (vol. iii, p. cxlviii) might refer to the desired role of Italy as a self-sufficient corn-growing area, within which viticulture was, nevertheless, not to be neglected (if Domitian's edict is correctly interpreted thus)"

-Sutherland, JRS Book Review, 1938

The reference to Domitian's edict on viticulture is explained by Suetonius:

"Once upon the occasion of a plentiful wine crop, attended with a scarcity of grain, thinking that the fields were neglected through too much attention to the vineyards, he made an edict forbidding anyone to plant more vines in Italy and ordering that the vineyards in the provinces be cut down, or but half of them at most be left standing; but he did not persist in carrying out the measure."

-Suetonius, The Life of Domitian, 7.2 

Is there an earthquake connection ?

There is certainly a possibility that the type of this coin is influenced by earthquakes in Rome and in the provinces and Hadrian's generous rebuilding programs. Trajan and Hadrian were together in a destructive earthquake in AD 115 in Antioch, during Trajan's reign (AD 112-117). The excellent and well researched blog, "Following Hadrian", mentions :

"On 13 December AD 115, Hadrian survived a violent and devastating earthquake while wintering in Antioch during Trajan’s campaign in the east. Hadrian had been in Syria since January AD 114 as imperial legate (envoy to the emperor) and, as such, had taken up residence in Antiochia ad Orontem (Antioch on the Orontes). The city served as headquarters for the Parthian wars. Trajan had returned from a campaign in Armenia when disaster struck on the morning of 13 December AD 115."

-Carole Raddato, Following Hadrian

One ancient source is Cassius Dio:

While the emperor was tarrying in Antioch a terrible earthquake occurred; many cities suffered injury, but Antioch was the most unfortunate of all. Since Trajan was passing the winter there and many soldiers and many civilians had flocked thither from all sides in connection with law-suits, embassies, business or sightseeing, there was no nation or people that went unscathed; and thus in Antioch the whole world under Roman sway suffered disaster.

-Cassius Dio Roman History, 24.1

There were also at least 3 substantial earthquakes during the reign of Hadrian that are documented in the well documented catalog of major earthquakes edited by Emmanuela Guidaboni:

(Catalog #111 ) AD 117-138 Italy - supported only by a vague reference by Cassius Dio

During his (Hadrian's) reign there were famines, pestilence, and earthquakes. The distress caused by all these calamities he relieved to the best of his ability, and also he aided many communities which had been devastated by them. There was also an overflow of the Tiber. To many communities he gave Latin citizen­ship, and to many others he remitted their tribute.

-Historia Augusta, Life of Hadrian, 21.5

(Catalog # 112) AD 120/128 Aoria, Cyzicus, Nicea, Nicomedia

Eusebius is again a source along with other inscriptions:

"There was an earthquake, Nicomedia collapsed in ruins, and many parts of the city of Nicea were destroyed. For their restoration, Hadrian gave generously from the public purse." . . . .

Could it be a 20th Anniversary Coin?

Foss in Roman Historical Coins, 1990 connects this coin with Hadrian's 20th anniversary of reign (AD 137, coin # 126, page 121): 

image.png.a0a9caadd853ec158c81221e146a54ef.png

[To me, the 20th anniversary interpretation seems the least likely of all, given that that anniversary occurred in AD 137, whereas the new edition of RIC II.3 agrees with Sear and other authorities in  attributing this issue to the 133-135 period, like all the COS III P P types.]

Is it a welcoming coin as Hadrian returns to Rome?

Mattingly (1936) makes a connection to Annona and classifies this coin as an "Adventus Augusti" type, celebrating Hadrian's return to Rome (by 5 May AD 134).

"We might think of "Tellus" as a presentation of that "re-established Earth" of which Hadrian boasts in a later issue. But, as the attributes of Tellus there are quite distinct, it seems better to regard this as a specialized type of Annona. The meaning will be much the same. The good government of Hadrian ensures that the earth gives freely of her increase. Pagan antiquity made little cleavage between spiritual and material blessings. ’The blessing of heaven on good government was expected to reveal itself in good harvests and fertile flows.'

-Mattingly, Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum v.3 p. cxxxv  . . . .

Perhaps many if not "all of the above", this coin could recognize Hadrian's return to Rome (in 5 May AD 134), the stability of the Roman Empire, the "Earth" that he made through his broad travels, and recognize Hadrian's impact across the wide-reaching Roman provinces.”

One other possible interpretation is that the type commemorates the 400th anniversary in AD 132 of the dedication of the Temple of Tellus in Rome, supposedly in 268 BCE. See the entry for that temple in the Adkins Dictionary of Roman Religion, cited above:

“Tellus, Temple of  Vowed by Publius Sempronius Sophus when an earthquake occurred during a battle with the Picenes. It was dedicated in 268 B.C. The temple was situated in Rome on the Carinae (the western end of the Oppius near the church of San Pietro in Vincoli). It may have been a rebuilding of an earlier temple. The Senate met at the temple once, when it was summoned there by Mark Antony the day after Julius Caesar’s assassination.”

For the full discussion of the Tellus Stabil type, with various members' contributions, see the original thread at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5284-a-new-hadrian-denarius-with-a-unique-reverse-type-tellvs-stabil/ .

8.  Julia Domna (under Caracalla), AR Denarius ca. AD 215-217, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair waved vertically and fastened in large bun in back, six horizontal ridges, IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG / Rev. Luna, draped, crescent moon on head, fold of drapery in circle around head, standing in biga of horses prancing left, leaning forward and holding reins in both hands, LVNA LVCIFERA. 20 mm., 3.18 g., 7 hrs. RIC IV-1 379c (p. 273), RSC III 105 (p. 56), Sear RCV II 7101 (ill. p. 553), BMCRE V 10 (p. 432) (ill. Pl. 67.11). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 17 Apr. 2023, Lot 617; ex CNG Triton XX Auction, Jan. 10, 2017, part of group Lot  614 (consisting of 59 silver denarii of Julia Domna), No. E049*; ex A.K. Collection**; ex stock of Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel, Switzerland, purchased 1963.

image.jpeg.a3005b5c2f3cdfbc4271911c6d36f4ed.jpeg

* Photo and description of Lot 614 No. E049 (this coin) from the separate Triton XX A.K. Collection catalogue, which unfortunately is no longer available online. (I already happened to have a copy of the relevant page from that catalogue, which I received from a dealer from whom I bought No. E051 a couple of years ago.)

image.jpeg.ae82829c8ef423e4ea022845f3bfb7b2.jpeg

**The Triton XX catalogue’s group photo and description of Lot 614 and the A.K. Collection. The reverse of my Luna Lucifera denarius (above the small red dot) is among the handful of individual coins illustrated in the photo accompanying Lot 614. 

image.jpeg.25bd41a21064f4366106a38915a41e4c.jpeg

“Collection of 59 Roman silver denarii and antoniniani of Julia Domna.
AD 193-217. AR Denarii & Antoniniani. Includes the following: 58 AR denarii and 1 AR antoninianus(different mints). Fifty-nine (59) coins in lot. Coins Fine to EF, toned. Photos and detailed descriptions available online at http://ak.cngcoins.com [no longer available online].

The A.K. Collection of the coins of the Roman Empire was carefully assembled over several decades with a great deal of thought and commitment. The present selection consists of 755 silver and bronze pieces, mostly from the reigns of Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta, Macrinus, and Diadumenian, and includes both Provincial and Imperial issues. There are also lots with a selection of Provincial coins and imitations of Hadrian to Antoninus Pius. The coins have been divided into the following 14 lots: seven lots contain only silver coins; two lots only contain bronzes; four lots containing only Provincial issues; two lots are from A.K.'s collection of Alexandrian coins; and one lot of ancient imitations and fourrées, etc. of silver and bronze coins of Antoninus Pius to Geta.

The quality of the coins ranges from Fine to Extremely fine. This interesting collection includes some very rare coins, as well as pieces from important collections like those of Dattari, Levis, Nägeli, Niggeler, Prince W(aldeck), Rosen, Steger, Stöcklin, and Voirol. In addition, most of the coins are provenanced from auctions or lists or were bought directly from stock such as those of J. Schulman, Amsterdam; Münzhandlung Basel; Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel; Dr. Wruck and Habelt, Berlin; W. Winkel, Bielefeld;Frankfurter Münzhandlung E. Button, later Schweizerischer Bankverein, and B. Peus Frankfurt; H.P.R. Frey, Freiburg; Lanz, Graz; Rigö Münzenhandlung Konstanz; Naville,Geneva; Kurpfälzische Münzhandlung, Mannheim; Ars et Nummus, Milano; E. Beckenbauer, G. Hirsch, Münchner Münzhandlung K. Kress, and L. von Ohlendorf, Munich; AlexMalloy, New York; Seaby, London; E. Bourgey, Maison Florange, Maison Platt, and J. Vinchon, Paris; L. De Nicola, Rome; H.-W. Müller, Solingen; G. Neider, Stadtbergen; H.H.Kricheldorf, Stuttgart; G. Bernardi, Trieste; H.D. Rauch, Vienna; Bank Leu, and F. Sternberg, Zurich. 

A separate, fully illustrated catalogue of the complete collection has been compiled, containing the photos and full description of all the coins in each lot. This  catalogue will be available during the Triton lot viewing at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, but you may also request that a catalogue be sent to you.”

9.  Elagabalus, AR Denarius, AD 219-220, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate & draped bust right, no beard, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / Rev. Liberalitas standing facing, head left, holding abacus [or coin-holder] in outstretched right hand and cornucopiae in left, LIBERALITAS AVG II. 19 mm., 3.15 g., 12 h. RIC IV-2 Elagabalus 100, RSC III Elagabalus 81a. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.*

image.jpeg.dad678dfe505e90337f130aac98046dc.jpeg

*My first and only coin depicting Liberalitas.

10.  Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Hexastyle temple with statue of seated Roma on pediment in center, holding long scepter in left hand and [unidentified object] in upraised right hand, SAECVLVM NOVVM [ = new century or era]. 22x25 mm., 2.90 g. RIC IV-3 25b, RSC IV 198, Sear RCV III 8963 (ill. p. 154). Purchased from CGB.fr., June 2023.*

image.png.bee5c986bb5e7d2bdf0eac4ed84fac54.png

*This type, together with the SAECVLARES AVGG types issued the same year in the names of Philip I, Philip II, and Otacilia Severa, “belongs to the extensive series, in all metals, commemorating the celebration in AD 248 of the thousandth anniversary of Rome’s founding.” Sear RCV III p. 153. As Sear also explains (see id. p. 154), “This is a simplified depiction of the temple of Roma, part of Hadrian’s remarkable double-temple of Venus and Roma completed under Antoninus Pius in AD 141."

11.  Trajan Decius, AR Antoninianus, AD 251, Rome Mint (traditionally attributed to Milan). Obv. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, IMP CAE TRA DEC AVG / Rev. Female personifications of the two Pannoniae provinces (Pannonia Superior and Pannonia Inferior) wearing long robes, standing face to face (heads not covered by veils), clasping right hands in front of a military standard between them [bottom half of standard worn off]; PANNONIAE. RIC IV-3 41a (Milan); RSC IV Trajan Decius 82 (p. 26) (Milan) (rev. var. [Pannoniae described as veiled]); Sear RCV II 9380 (Rome). 21 mm., 3.69 g., 6 h.  Purchased from cgb.fr, 21 Sep. 2023 (coin incorrectly categorized as RIC IV-3 26(b) & RSC IV Trajan Decius 81, with Pannoniae veiled and different obverse legend [IMP CMQ TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG]).*

image.png.72e0b8822d45d19575cf060c44f615c8.png

*The Two Provinces of Pannonia Pannonia “was a province of the Roman Empire bounded on the north and east by the Danube, coterminous westward with Noricum and upper Italy, and southward with Dalmatia and upper Moesia. Pannonia was located in the territory that is now western Hungary, western Slovakia, eastern Austria, northern Croatia, north-western Serbia, northern Slovenia, and northern Bosnia and Herzegovina.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia. It was originally created by Augustus in AD 8 as a single province, by dividing the former province of Illyricum (itself created as an Imperial province in 11 BCE) into Dalmatia and Pannonia. (Id.) Here is a map of the single province of Pannonia:

image.png.64638556179a185bf66a46fb7756919b.png

In AD 103, the Emperor Trajan divided the province of Pannonia into two parts: Pannonia Superior and Pannonia Inferior. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia_Inferior. A map showing the division:

image.png.b66b00b7ee306adf1de30194760a4f69.png

Later, under Diocletian, a further division of the Pannoniae was made into four parts: Pannonia Prima, Pannonia Valeria, Pannonia Savia, and Pannonia Secunda. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia for details of the region’s later history.

Personifications of Pannoniae on Coins of Trajan Decius Out of 68 different types of antoniniani listed for Trajan Decius in Roman Silver Coins Vol. IV Gordian III - Postumus (Seaby 1971) (“RSC IV”), including variants, two depict a single personification of Pannonia on the reverse and another nine depict separate personifications of the two Pannoniae (see RSC IV pp. 25-26) -- certainly the largest number of types and variants for any of his antoniniani, without even considering the aurei and bronzes that Decius also issued depicting the Pannoniae.

The types of antoniniani depicting the two Pannoniae vary in the obverse legends, in whether or not the heads of the Pannoniae are veiled, in the number and placement of the military standard(s) depicted, and in whether the two Pannoniae face each other, in opposite directions, or in the same direction.  It appears from acsearch that a substantial majority of the “two Pannoniae” types seen on the market show the two personifications facing in opposite directions, with depictions of the two facing each other found less frequently even though they comprise 5 of the 9 variants listed in RSC IV, and with those showing the two facing in the same direction, always left, by far the least common.

The majority of the different types and variants appear to show the Pannoniae with their heads veiled, covering their hair down to their shoulders, as in these specimens (not mine) sold by NAC in 2022 and by CNG in 2019, the first showing the Pannoniae facing in opposite directions and the second showing them face to face. [For images of these specimens, see my original post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5000-a-trajan-decius-antoninianus-depicting-the-two-pannoniae/#comment-63849 .]

My variant (see photo above) is somewhat unusual (albeit more common among the Pannoniae shown face to face), because unlike the two previous examples, the Pannoniae are shown without veils down to their shoulders. (It’s difficult to tell whether their hair is completely uncovered on my example, or, as seems more likely, they are wearing some sort of short head covering. Opinions are welcome!)

Whichever is the case, it’s certainly quite rare to find a specimen like mine with the details of the Pannoniae’s faces so well-preserved; almost all the ones that I’ve seen on acsearch, even without long veils covering their heads, look more like these examples from CNG in 2002, Tkalec in 2010, and Bertolami in 2020. [For images of those specimens, see my original post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5000-a-trajan-decius-antoninianus-depicting-the-two-pannoniae/#comment-63849 .]

Most authorities seem to assume that the personifications of the Pannoniae on the coins of Trajan Decius, however depicted, are always female, as is the case with most, if not all, personifications of the various provinces (e.g., on the coins of Trajan depicting Dacia and Arabia, and on the coins of Hadrian’s Travel Series). However, RSC IV lists two types or variants (RSC IV 84 and 84a, attributed respectively to Rome and Milan) that supposedly depict “a male on l. and female on r.” facing each other (id. p. 26). I have been unable to find any illustrations of these variants (please let me know if you're aware of any). Until I do, I remain somewhat skeptical of the idea that one of the Pannoniae was sometimes depicted as male with the other remaining female. Nor do I know what clothing or other characteristics in the relevant depictions led to that conclusion -- whether by H.A. Seaby in compiling RSC itself, or by Cohen, whose underlying numbering system was used in RSC -- unless examples like this one sold by Roma in 2018 were interpreted as depicting the figure on the left as bearded. I am not sure that I would agree with such an interpretation, given that I've seen a number of Roman coins in which the faces of female figures on the reverses are rather crudely engraved and appear at first glance to be bearded.

image.png.06a6faa452b6372bc2c4de1713ee09f4.png

The Association of Trajan Decius with Pannonia It should not be surprising that Decius depicted the Pannoniae so frequently (as either a single personification or two) on his antoniniani. He was “a native of Sirmium in Pannonia Inferior” (now Sremska Mitrovica, Serbia) (see the “Online Encyclopedia of Roman Emperors” at https://roman-emperors.sites.luc.edu/decius.htm -- or the nearby village of Budalia (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decius) -- and was the “first emperor to come from the Balkans region” (id.). He had served as governor in Moesia. (Id.) In addition, he apparently relied on the Pannonian legions as a base of support in overthrowing Philip I after Philip sent him to restore order along the Danubian frontier and suppress the rebellion of Pacatian in Moesia and Pannonia (id.); “we have epigraphic evidence . . . for support among the Pannonian Legio X, suggesting that Decius owed his accession in no small part to local troops.” (Id.) See also https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=pannoniae (“The division of this region into two parts is characterised by two female figures, on gold, silver, and brass of Trajanus Decius. . . The cause of this Emperor's attachment to these provinces is sufficiently obvious; for they were the first to proclaim his election to the purple, and it was to the fidelity and bravery of the Pannonian legions that he owed his victory over Philip. Hence it was the peculiar care and pride of Decius to rescue or defend Pannonia from the incursions of the barbarians”); https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5953/ancient-coins/ (“Decius also celebrated the men and troops responsible for his elevation to emperor with three new reverse types; GENIVS EXERCITVS ILLVRICIANI (genius of the Illyrian army), PANNONIA (which depicts a personification of the province) and DACIA (which shows [a] personification of Dacia holding a draco standard). This probably was a wise move politically, as very recently these Balkan troops had been responsible for the rebellions of Pacatian and Decius (and would be responsible for two more in the coming years)”). 

Rome vs. Milan Mints The antoniniani of Trajan Decius bearing the obverse legend IMP CMQ TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG have been uniformly accepted as minted in Rome. By contrast, those bearing the abbreviated obverse legends IMP CAE TRA DEC AVG (such as my coin) and IMP CAE TRA DECIVS AVG -- encompassing four of the nine Pannoniae types and variants listed in RSC IV -- were traditionally attributed (including by Harold Mattingly as reflected in RIC IV, as well as in RSC) to the mint in Mediolanum (Milan), struck there towards the end of Decius’s reign. Decius’s famous “Divi” series honoring 11 deified Roman emperors was also traditionally attributed to Milan at the end of Decius’s reign.

But ever since the publication of an article by K.J.J. Elks, "Reattribution of the Milan Coins of Trajan Decius to the Rome Mint," The Numismatic Chronicle, Seventh Series, Vol. 12 (1972), pp. 111-115 (available at https://www.jstor.org/stable/42666339 ), based in part on a study of die links, it has become increasingly accepted, as in Sear RCV II (see citation of this coin to Sear above), that the Trajan Decius coins with abbreviated obverse legends, as well as the Divi Series, were actually minted in Rome in AD 251, towards the end of Decius’s reign, rather than in Milan -- and, in fact, that there was no functioning mint in Milan during Decius's reign. See, e.g., @dougsmit's page at  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac51dec.html (discussing a “PANNONIAE” antoninianus with the abbreviated obverse legend IMP CAE TRA DECIVS AVG, and noting that the coin “was struck at Rome in the last months of Decius' reign. Earlier scholars attributed coins with this obverse legend to a branch mint at Milan but more recent die link information has shown these to be the final product of Rome.”) 

In the Elks article itself, the author explains in detail his or her conclusion, contrary to tradition (but agreeing with a position that Professor Alföldi had previously taken) that the coins at issue were the last issues of Trajan Decius minted in Rome, and were not minted in Milan. The author’s conclusion was based on considerations of cohesion and style, on the absence of evidence for the existence of a functioning mint in Milan during Decius’s reign, and, above all, on die links between the reverses of coins with abbreviated obverse legends traditionally attributed to Milan -- including Pannoniae types as well as types depicting Dacia and GENIVS EXERCITVS ILLVRICIANI -- and the reverses of earlier types unquestionably minted in Rome.  Among other things:

image.png.80c9f97d9fa9096238e029c487784a43.png

image.png.d0945bc81f35c818efc08d94c0a1c968.png

. . . .

image.png.0bbc7eafa5a523c99912f1e2d7147954.png

Regarding the die links:

image.png.5eaccff4fdd25848707d28dc04021d8d.png

image.png.1734baba537ee00d50b8849e510b29c1.png

Here is "Table I":

image.png.d3831d954c8755c6d7146fdc1e00e3ca.png

My one caveat to accepting Elks’s conclusion is that the illustrations of die links on Plate 14 include examples only of DACIA and GENIVS EXERCITVS ILLVRICIANI reverse types, and not of any PANNONIAE reverse types. So the proof in the article is not completely dispositive, although I see no reason why it wouldn’t apply to all types using the abbreviated obverse legends. I am not aware that anyone has undertaken a die link study in the 50 years since the Elks article was published, to try to compare the PANNONIAE reverses accompanied by the earlier obverse legends to those accompanied by the later legends (particularly comparing types showing the Pannoniae facing each other, without veils covering their heads down to their shoulders). And I do not have the time, the inclination, or the talent to do so myself! However, the few such specimens I found by looking at acsearch and Wildwinds all appear to me be rather similar. [For images of those specimens, see my original post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5000-a-trajan-decius-antoninianus-depicting-the-two-pannoniae/#comment-63849 .]

12.  Gallienus, Billon Antoninianus, 267-268 AD, Rome Mint, 6th Officina, 10th emission (Göbl & Reinhardt). Obv. Radiate head right, GALLIENVS AVG /Rev. Goat standing right, looking directly right at horizon, IOVI CONS AVG; in exergue, ς (digamma/stigma, representing numeral “6”) [6th Officina]. RIC V.1 Gallienus 297 (sole reign); RSC IV Gallienus 344; Sear RCV II 10236; Wolkow 18a6 (ill. p. 75 & Pl. XXX) [Cédric Wolkow, Catalogue des monnaies romaines - Gallien - L'émission dite "Du Bestiaire" - atelier de Rome (BNumis, édition 2019)]; Göbl MIR [Moneta Imperii Romani] Band 36, No. 731b [ill. at http://www258.pair.com/denarius/coinage.htm & in Reinhardt at p. 128 [incorrectly identified as 2nd officina] (Frank Reinhardt, José de Sousa, & Heidemarie Bieker, Gallienvs Antoninianii, The Antoninianii Collection of Gallienus by Frank Reinhardt (Eng. trans. 2022), available at https://www.academia.edu/77282280/GALLIENUS_ANTONINIANII_English_version_PDF ]. 23 mm., 3.37 g., 12 hr. Purchased at Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 106, 16 Feb. 2023, Lot 1072.   

image.jpeg.296ba04f7ea2ce81f5f42bb310c4d4f6.jpeg

13.  Gallienus, Billon Antoninianus, 267-268 AD, Rome Mint, 5th Officina, 10th emission (Göbl & Reinhardt). Obv. Radiate bust right, GALLIENVS AVG /Rev. Boar running right, HERCVLI CONS AVG; in exergue, Є [Epsilon = 5th Officina]. RIC V.1 202 (sole reign); RSC IV 317; Sear RCV III 10228; Wolkow 16a5 (ill. p. 69 & Pl. XXIV) [Cédric Wolkow, Catalogue des monnaies romaines - Gallien - L'émission dite "Du Bestiaire" - atelier de Rome (BNumis, édition 2019)]; Göbl MIR [Moneta Imperii Romani] Band 36, No. 729b [ill. at http://www258.pair.com/denarius/coinage.htm & in Reinhardt at p. 126 no. 3 [Frank Reinhardt, José de Sousa, & Heidemarie Bieker, Gallienvs Antoninianii, The Antoninianii Collection of Gallienus by Frank Reinhardt (Eng. trans. 2022), available at https://www.academia.edu/77282280/GALLIENUS_ANTONINIANII_English_version_PDF]. 20 mm., 3.24 g., 6 hr. Purchased at Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 107, 16 Mar. 2023, Lot 1126. image.png.c08b2651a89c2d7263b12fe0c1f3e316.png

14.  Probus, billon Antoninianus, AD 280-281, Serdica [Sofia, Bulgaria] Mint, 1st Officina, 4th emission (Pink*). Obv. Radiate bust right, seen from three-quarters front, wearing consular mantle (no sceptre) (Bastien bust code: H7), IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG  / Rev. Sol standing facing in spread quadriga, with right hand raised and holding whip in left hand, SOLI INVICTO; in exergue, KA•A• [KA= XXI = 20/1 copper/silver ratio of alloy; A = 1st Officina]. RIC V.2 861 (var. obv. bust type); probuscoins.fr 3939 (this coin) [see https://probuscoins.fr/coin?id=3939]. 23 mm., 3.87 g., 6 h. "Extremely Fine. Very Rare right facing consular bust without sceptre. This coin published at Probus Coins Online (https://probuscoins.fr/) (since conserved).” Purchased at Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 107, 16 Mar. 2023, Lot 1474; ex Collection of Barnaba Skibniewski, Warsaw; ex Savoca Coins, 25 Feb. 2018.

image.jpeg.22f22df2ee55517401cd67e92b3dc88f.jpeg

* Karl Pink, Numismatische Zeitschrift, Der Aufbau der Romischen Munzpragung in der Kaiserzeit, VI / 1 Probus (Wien, 1949).

15.  Allectus, Billon “Quinarius” [1/2 Antoninianus or 1/2 Aurelianus; see fn.], 293-295/96 AD, London Mint. Obv. Radiate and cuirassed bust right, IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG / Rev. Galley left with mast and rigging (no rowers), waves below, VIRTVS AVG above; in exergue, mintmark Q L [L = London Mint]. 19 mm., 3.16 g. RIC V-2 55 (p. 563) [erroneously identified by dealer as RIC 128, which has Q C mintmark for Camulodunum mint]; Sear RCV IV 13870; Burnett 111 [this variety] (App. 2, p. 34) [Andrew Burnett, “The Coinage of Allectus: Chronology and Interpretation,” British Numismatic Journal Vol. 54 (1984) pp. 21-40, available at https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/1984_BNJ_54_5.pdf]. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 736.* 

image.jpeg.886d075c49e7578e0aeb87f7c362a892.jpeg

*See Sear RCV IV 13870 at p. 231: "The equivalent of the bronze ‘post-reform radiate’ of Diocletian’s new monetary system, these half antoniniani . . . are often referred to as ‘quinarii’ because of the ‘Q’ which precedes the mint letter in the exergue. However, the true meaning must surely have been a ‘half’ of the current standard billon denomination, i.e. the antoninianus. The basic reverse type of this denomination is always a galley, representing the naval power upon which the usurper’s regime depended, though the details of the design vary considerably. At London the accompanying legend is always VIRTVS AVG, but at Colchester [Camulodunum] LAETITIA AVG also occurs.” This type, Sear RCV IV 13870 from London, encompasses a number of variations, and can be found with the galley right or left, “usually with mast and rigging and with varying numbers of rowers, sometimes with bird on mast, sometimes with oars uplifted on one side.” Id.

RIC V-2 55 is similarly broad in scope. See also Burnett, op. cit., at p. 27: “London has only one legend, VIRTVS AVG, accompanied by the same sort of galley as appears on the C mint VIRTVS AVG coins, which nearly always is also sailing left. There are, however, frequent minor variations at London. Some galleys sail right, some have no mast or rigging, or sometimes the mast is replaced with a figure of Victory or a reclining figure holding (apparently) a baton and a branch. London VIRTVS AVG coins can also be distinguished from their C mint counterparts by the presence of waves below the galley.” As stated above, Burnett 111 (see Appendix 2 at p. 34) is this coin’s specific variation, with the galley left, mast and rigging present, and no rowers.   

Burnett’s article presents a somewhat different view than Sear’s regarding the denomination of these quinarius “galley” types, using additional terminology to distinguish “antoniniani” from “aureliani.” See p. 27 of the article (footnotes omitted), suggesting that in fact the quinarii were equal to the antoninianius in value, representing one-half of an aurelianus, rather than half an antoninianus  -- keeping in mind that “antoninianus” is an invented modern term used to refer to certain coins, and was not actually used in the Roman world; other sources view antoninianii and aurelianii as having the same value:

“The coins, although they have a radiate bust, have a smaller diameter and a lighter weight than the antoniniani (3g as opposed to 4 ½ g). This weight is the same as that used by Diocletian for his post-reform antoniniani, minted in Italy and further east after 294, but I hesitate to see a direct connection because of the different alloys of the two coins. Diocletian's post-reform radiates contained no silver, whereas the 'quinarii' of Allectus had 1-2 per cent silver, not very much indeed, but apparently as much as his 'antoniniani' ever contained. The weight relationship of 2/3 to 1 does, however, suggest that the 'quinarii', despite the radiate portrait, were intended to be (in some sense) half antoniniani, since it was normal in the third century for half pieces to weigh two thirds of their whole. The fact that they were a smaller denomination led to a different pattern of hoarding from that of the antoniniani. Apart from the quinarii two main sorts of coin are found in hoards of the late third century, both of which we call 'antoniniani' today.  Preferable, however, as labels of convenience, are the terms 'antoniniani', referring only to the mass of poor quality coinage produced by Gallienus, Claudius II and the Gallic emperors, and 'aureliani', referring to the larger coins containing five per cent silver minted by Aurelian and his successors. Most of the coins of Carausius and Allectus were 'aureliani', and to some extent this explains their behaviour in contemporary hoards.

These hoards (to oversimplify) tend to contain either 'aureliani' or 'antoniniani', but rarely both; the 'quinarii' behave in this context as 'antoniniani' rather than 'aureliani'. . . .This interpretation of hoards has several implications. First, it apparently suggests that 'quinarii' were regarded as of equivalent value to 'antoniniani' (as opposed to 'aureliani'), in both cases half an 'aurelianus'.”

___

The other 10 of the 25, consisting of a couple of what used to be called "middle bronzes," four sestertii, and four siliquae, will follow, probably on Thursday. 

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 26
  • Yes 1
  • Cool Think 1
  • Clap 1
  • Mind blown 2
  • Heart Eyes 15

Great list. The Hadrian coins are stellar. (For some reason, I do not own many  Hadrian coins and not sure why, as normally they should be in my direct area of interest. In every auction where Hadrian interesting coins were available, there were always more important targets for me). 

In the tradition, I will choose 3 coins - first the Gallienus with the boar - I think this is not a common Zoo type; the Trajan denarius with Trajan Senior, as this is also one of my favorite "non-Dacian" Trajan types. The Domna denarius is my 3rd choice. 

• Thanks 1

A year that would make any Roman proud! I can see what those Trajans are atop your list, though that Romulus is just too cool for school and might be my favorite.

Thanks for sharing your coins and insight. I always learn something new when you post. 

• Thanks 1

Love the coins and the discussion @DonnaML.  Oceanus with crab-claw horns, and Julia Domna with hair fastened in large bun in back + excellent LVNA LVCIFERA both get my vote for favorites!  No shortage of nice coins in your haul to select from.  Best wishes for 2024!

Edited by Sulla80
  • Thanks 1

• Benefactor

Here is the rest of my "top Roman Imperial coins" list, in chronological order, consisting of six bronzes and four siliquae. Two of the coins arrived recently, so the write-ups are new and are marked as such.

Bronze Coins:

16.  Livia Drusilla (58 BCE-AD 29, widow of Augustus and mother of Tiberius) as Pietas, orichalcum Dupondius, AD 23, Rome Mint, issued by her son Tiberius in the name of her grandson Drusus Julius Caesar (Drusus Minor, 13 BCE-AD 23, son of Tiberius and Vipsiana). Obv. Veiled, diademed, and draped bust of Livia as Pietas, right, PIETAS below / Rev. DRVSVS CAESAR TI AVGVSTI F TR POT ITER around large S C [Senatus Consulto] in center. 30.74 mm., 13.63 g. RIC I Tiberius 43 p. 97, ill Pl. 11 (Rev. ed. 1984); Sear RCV I Livia 1741 p. 341; BMCRE I Tiberius 98 p. 133 (Pietas side ill. Pl. 24.7) (identifies the Pietas side as the reverse and the S C side as the obverse); Cohen 1. David R. Sear A.C.C.S. Certificate of Authenticity dated July 28, 2020, issued to Jens G. Feierabend, No. 005CO/RI/D/OD (“F/good F, ‘Tiber’ patina, pitted surfaces"). Purchased from Jens G. Feierabend, Hamburg, Germany, 21 Jun 2023; ex Dorotheum GmbH & Co KG, Vienna, Austria, 16 Nov. 2017 Auction, Lot 1287. 

Given how badly Tiberius got along with his mother, it's not surprising that this is a Senatus Consulto issue.

This is a quintessential example of an ancient coin that looks quite nice in hand, but will never photograph well because its defects (in this case, pitting/porosity) are greatly magnified in any photo. As in these three photos, one by @Julius Germanicus, one by David R. Sear, and one by Dorotheum GmbH. None of them really does the coin justice!

image.png.dd55f7536fe7185785815d6ba430aaaf.png

17.  Antoninus Pius AE As, AD 143-144, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P COS III / Rev. Great White Sow crouching right under oak tree, suckling four young piglets, two more at right, IMPERA – TOR II above, S C in exergue. RIC III 733, BMCRE IV Antoninus Pius 1624, Sear RCV II 4302 (ill. p. 237), Cohen 450. 28.5 mm., 14.83 g. Purchased Nov. 24, 2023  from Zuzim, Inc., Brooklyn, NY.* 

image.png.e51fb4876df7b4342d9cc8ee93da0bf7.png

*The large sow suckling her piglets refers to the myth of Aeneas’s landing at and founding of Lavinium with the Penates, and the subsequent dream of the great white sow giving birth to 30 piglets, which foretold the founding by Aeneas’s son Ascanius, 30 years later, of the city of Alba Longa [“Long White”] in the Alban Hills, where the soil was more fertile and where Romulus and Remus were born. See John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London 1990), entry for “Aeneas” at p. 6: “The scene is defined by the presence of a sow and piglets; this illustrates the story of the dream sent to Aeneas, which told him that when he came across a white sow with thirty piglets they would mark the spot where thirty years later [his son] Ascanius would found a city, Alba Longa, from which Rome itself was eventually to be founded.” Subsequently, Aeneas found the sow under an oak tree and sacrificed it. See also this excerpt from a translation of the Aeneid, Book VIII, beginning at line 26 (from https://www.poetryintranslation.com/PITBR/Latin/VirgilAeneidVIII.php):

Bk VIII: 26-47 Aeneas’s Dream of Tiberinus

“It was night, and through all the land, deep sleep gripped weary

creatures, bird and beast, when Aeneas, the leader, lay down

on the river-bank, under the cold arch of the heavens, his heart

troubled by war’s sadness, and at last allowed his body to rest.

Old Tiberinus himself, the god of the place, appeared to him,

rising from his lovely stream, among the poplar leaves

(fine linen cloaked him in a blue-grey

mantle, and shadowy reeds hid his hair),

Then he spoke, and with his words removed all cares:

‘O seed of the race of gods, who bring our Trojan city

back from the enemy, and guard the eternal fortress,

long looked-for on Laurentine soil, and in Latin fields,

here is your house, and your house’s gods, for sure

(do not desist), don’t fear the threat of war,

the gods’ swollen anger has died away.

And now, lest you think this sleep’s idle fancy, you’ll find

a huge sow lying on the shore, under the oak trees,

that has farrowed a litter of thirty young, a white sow,

lying on the ground, with white piglets round her teats,

That place shall be your city, there’s true rest from your labours.

By this in a space of thirty years Ascanius

will found the city of Alba, bright name." 

There’s also an old 2019 thread at Coin Talk discussing this type and the associated myth; https://www.cointalk.com/threads/the-great-sow-of-alba-longa.343315/. The thread’s author  suggests that the type was issued (together with several others) to commemorate the 900th anniversary of Rome’s founding, but given the date assigned to the coin, I’m somewhat skeptical of the theory: the 900th anniversary would have been in AD 148, not AD 143/144.

This is an unusually heavy example, weighing more than any other specimen I found on acsearch.

18.  Commodus (son of Marcus Aurelius), AE (Orichalcum) Sestertius, AD 186, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, M COMMODVS ANT P FELIX AVG BRIT / Rev. Concordia, draped, standing front, head to left, holding vertical standard with legionary eagle in each hand, P M TR P XI IMP VII CO[S V PP] (around), S - C across fields; in exergue, CONC MIL (for CONCORDIA MILITVM, “[dedicated to] harmony with the soldiers”; see Numiswiki at https://tinyurl.com/mr9ta53k). RIC III Commodus 465(A), BMCRE IV Commodus 576 (1st ed. 1940) (ill. Pl. 106, no. 8 [rev. only]), Sear RCV II 5738, cf. Cohen 55 corr. (COS V not IIII as Cohen states). 29 mm., 20.19 g., 12 h. [Deep cut or flaw on obv. across emperor’s neck.] Purchased from Leu Numismatik AG, Winterthur, Switzerland, Web Auction 26, 11 July 2023, Lot 4520 [purchase canceled & refund obtained 20 Sep 2023, repurchased 6 Oct 2023], from Collection of Jens Georg Feierabend, Hamburg, Germany; ex Roma E-Auction 58, 20 June 2019, Lot 1137, Roma E-Auction 52, 10 January 2019, Lot 853, and Roma E-Auction 46, 5 June 2018, Lot 663.* 

image.png.89c3fa8014dd2e2c63db44dd68926944.png

*Accompanied by David R. Sear A.C.C.S. [Ancient Coin Certification Service] Certificate of Authenticity dated April 2, 2020, issued to Jens Georg Feierabend, No. 981CR/RI/E/O, grading coin as “a strong VF with light brown patina, struck on a typical short flan and with deep cut across emperor’s neck,” and stating, among other things, “This orichalcum sestertius, worth one-quarter of the silver denarius, was struck in the early  months of AD 186 following the downfall of the praetorian prefect Perennis and the rise of his rival Cleander. There was some military unrest at this time and the ‘war of the deserters’ in Gaul and Spain had to be put down by the future emperor Pescennius Niger. The reverse of this issue appeals to ‘the harmony of the soldiers’ (concordia militum) at a time of uncertainty when the emperor was clearly at pains to court the support of the armed forces. It is tempting to see in the deep slash across Commodus’ neck an expression of hatred for the regime, possibly following the emperor’s murder.”

A copy of the Sear Certificate:

image.png.e5a1ab9f4bb1104042e7f62d19f3ab69.png

19.  Crispina (wife of Commodus), AE (Orichalcum) Sestertius, AD 178-182, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair waved in curls across head and fastened in chignon behind, CRISPINA - AVGVSTA / Rev. Salus seated left on throne, resting left elbow on its arm, holding patera in right hand and feeding from it a snake rising before her from altar at her feet, SALVS around, S – C across lower fields. RIC III Commodus 672a, BMCRE IV Commodus 422 (1st ed. 1940), Sear RCV II 6010 (ill. p. 423), Cohen 33. 30 mm., 22.23 g., 12 h. Purchased from Leu Numismatik AG, Winterthur, Switzerland, Web Auction 26, 11 July 2023, Lot 4530 [purchase canceled & refund obtained 20 Sep 2023, repurchased 6 Oct 2023], from Collection of Jens Georg Feierabend, Hamburg, Germany; ex Ira & Larry Goldberg Auction 109, 29 Jan 2019, Lot 2194; ex Classical Numismatic Group, LLC (CNG) Auction 76, 12 Sep 2007, Lot 3330, from Collection of J. Alan Seeger; previously privately acquired from Tom Cederlind.*

image.png.1711b670b80470e1a0ba4aad96d83d3a.png

The CNG photo from 2007, which is a bit closer to the coin's true color:

image.png.770fb4b7a449b9f6d4ba16965b7fabd3.png

*Accompanied by David R. Sear A.C.C.S. [Ancient Coin Certification Service] Certificate of Authenticity dated 5 Jun 2019, issued to Jens Georg Feierabend, No. 907CR/RI/N/D, grading coin as “VF, with attractive portrait and nice glossy brown patina,” and stating, among other things, that “[t]his attractive orichalcum sestertius features a sensitive portrait of the teenage empress combined with a seated figure of Salus, goddess of health. Although a standard reverse type, the appearance of the goddess at this time may relate to an imperial pregnancy,” even though no surviving offspring are known to have resulted from Crispina’s marriage to Commodus. Sear also notes that the coinage of Crispina appears to have ceased four years after their AD 178 marriage, following the plot against Commodus in 182, despite the fact that it is unlikely that she was involved in the plot (by contrast to Lucilla).

A copy of the Sear Certificate:

image.png.24b8de7b7ffb69b220e46e089a2920b0.png

The happy couple together:

image.png.8f9a7be24f8165fc216db84dbdb574e1.png

20.  Severus Alexander AE (Orichalcum) Sestertius, AD 232*, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right with slight drapery on left shoulder, IMP SEV ALE – XANDER AVG / Rev. Victory standing right, left foot raised to rest on helmet, inscribing VOT / X in two lines on shield set on trunk of palm tree, VICTORIA AVGVSTI; S – C [Senatus Consulto] across lower fields. 33 mm., 21.95 g. RIC IV-2 616, BMCRE VI 643, Sear RCV III 8021, Cohen 567. Purchased 22 Oct. 2023 from Carthago Numismatics (Kefi Mansouri), L'Isle Adam, Ile de France, France; ex Tunisian hoard.*

Dealer photo:

image.png.da3ed33d2f9b8b113b80c25a00b8cd62.png

My attempt:

image.png.7ff90327b3f9622d25191e063c44e455.png

*The AD 232 date appears to be based on an assumption that the type was issued to commemorate the decennial of Severus Alexander’s reign, as well as to celebrate the initial victories in the campaign against Sassanian Empire.

21. Philip II, Augustus (son of Philip I) AE Sestertius, AD 247-248 (Rome Mint). Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip II right, seen from front, IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Philip I and Philip II seated left on curule chairs, side by side, extending right hands, with Philip I, nearest viewer, holding short scepter downwards in left hand, LIBERALITAS AVGG III; in exergue, S C [Senatus Consulto]. 30 mm., 17.53 g. RIC IV-3 267(a), Sear RCV III 9279 (ill. p. 188), Cohen 18. Purchased 22 Oct. 2023 from Carthago Numismatics (Kefi Mansouri), L'Isle Adam, Ile de France, France; ex Tunisian hoard.

Dealer photo:

image.png.a42ffc62df65c451bff5498c3ea5c6e3.png

My attempt:

image.png.e24f2ca16cc290cec545ed8efe773e47.png

Siliquae:

22. NEW  Valentinian I (reigned AD 364-375), AR reduced siliqua*, Arles (Arelate/Constantina**) Mint, 1st Officina, AD 364-367. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, DN VALENTIN-IANVS PF AVG / Rev. Valentinian, in military attire, standing facing, head right, holding Victory on globe in left hand and labarum (vexillum with military ensign marked with Chi Ro) in right hand, RESTITV-TOR REIP; star in left field; in exergue, P CONST (1st Officina, Constantina Mint). RIC IX Arelate 6c(1) (p. 63) (“Rare”); RSC V 18e (p. 149); Sear RCV V 19366 (p. 304). 18 mm., 2.18 g., 5 hr. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 285, 5 Dec. 2023, Lot 375 (described as “Striking split at 6 o’clock, otherwise very fine”).

image.jpeg.aace1cb2c935c461fcab187d5367c462.jpeg

*See Sear RCV V p. 271: “In AD 357 the weight of the [siliqua] denomination was reduced by one-third to 2 scripula or 2.25 grams.”

**See Sear RCV V p. 70: “In AD 328 the name of Arelate was changed to Constantina in honour of Constantine II. After his death in 340 the name reverted to Arelate, but in 353 Constantius II changed it back to Constantina. During the 5th century Arelate seems again to have been generally preferred.”

23.  Theodosius I, AR reduced Siliqua, AD 379-383 (Aquileia Mint) [Emperor AD 379-395). Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, D N THEODO-SIUS P F AVG / Rev. Constantinopolis, crowned, seated facing on thorne, head to right, holding long scepter in her right hand and cornucopiae in her left, right foot resting on prow, CONCOR-DIA AVGGG; in exergue, AQPS [AQ = Aquileia Mint; PS = pusulatum (struck from pure silver); see Sear RCV V, Introduction p. 70]. 17 mm., 1.71 g., 12 h. RIC IX Aquileia 25 (p. 99), RSC V 4c (ill. p. 172), Sear RCV V 20448 (ill. p. 403). Purchased from Leu Numismatik AG, Winterthur, Switzerland, Web Auction 25, 14 Mar 2023, Lot 2729. 

image.jpeg.308d981ca9ccb2f5dd1e5af5e0864908.jpeg

24. NEW  Eastern Roman Empire, Arcadius (son of Theodosius I and older brother of Honorius, Emperor 383-408 AD), AR Reduced Siliqua, AD 397-402, Mediolanum [Milan] Mint, AD 397-402 [Sear]. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, “Eastern” pteryges (protective leather strips worn at shoulder, see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Pteryges), D N ARCADI-VS P F AVG / Rev. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding in right hand Victory with wreath standing on globe, and in left hand a reversed spear, VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; in exergue, MDPS [MD = Mediolanum Mint; PS = pusulatum (struck from pure silver); see Sear RCV V, Introduction p. 70]. 17 mm., 1.59 g., 6 h. RIC X Arcadius 1227 (p. 321), RSC V 27b (ill. p. 180), Sear RCV 20762 (p. 437). Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 285, 5 Dec. 2023, Lot 157, part of “The Colkirk Hoard of Late Roman Silver Coins,” found in Norfolk 2020-2022, PAS NMS-AC7F17: Treasure Case 2020T83; see https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/989715 .*

image.jpeg.173fda9dd1b724fea2ffee4bb69129f9.jpeg

*At the PAS link, the hoard is described as follows; note that by far the largest number of coins are from the reigns of Arcadius and Honorius:

“Hoard of 432 Roman coins, mostly siliquae. 315 coins were found in 2020, 114 in 2021, and three in 2022. All coins were found within the ploughsoil or upper subsoil, over an area of c.160m west to east, and c. 100m north to south.

Description: The hoard consists of 430 silver late Roman coins of the denomination known as a siliqua (pl. siliquae); one fragment of a miliarensis issued by Gratian; and one coin of Theodosius I of uncertain denomination. The definite siliquae comprise 311 complete coins, 57 incomplete coins and 62 fragments, and some coins are in more than one joining piece. None show any evidence of a container, such as fabric or wood adhesions or other metal corrosion products.

The coins (all siliquae unless stated) break down by ruler as follows:

Constantius II (323-361) 10

Julian II (Caesar) (355-360) 4

Julian II (Augustus) (360-363) 31

Jovian (363-364) 2

Valentinian I (364-375) 6

Valens (364-378) 31

Gratian (367-383) 25 + 1 miliarensis

Valentinian II (375-392) 26

Theodosius I (379-395) 34 + 1 uncertain denomination

Magnus Maximus (383-388) 46

Flavius Victor (387-388) 4

Eugenius (392-394) 16

Arcadius (383-408) 80

Honorius (393-423) 73

Uncertain 42

Total 432

There are 92 die-duplicates among the siliquae. . . .

Date: The date range of the siliquae is typical of other similar finds of the period and runs from Constantius II to Honorius (355-408); all post-date Constantius’s weight standard reduction of 355 and most of the coins have been clipped to a light or moderate degree, with only a few having been extensively clipped beyond the legends.

In general, the presence of clipped siliquae, a few quite heavily clipped, would seem to place the deposition or loss of this hoard to the early fifth century, with the coins continuing in circulation for some time after the issue of the latest coins in c. AD 395-402. . . .

Notes: As the coins are made of more than 10% precious metal and over 300 years old and are of types likely to have been deposited together as one find, the hoard constitutes potential Treasure under the Treasure Act 1996.

Subsequent action after recording: Returned to finder after being disclaimed as Treasure.”

For details regarding the circumstances of the hoard’s discovery on farmland by a metal detectorist, and the Noonans auction, see, e.g., https://www.noonans.co.uk/media/auction_catalogues/Coins%205%20Dec%2023.pdf at pp. 29-34; https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-norfolk-67626684? ; and https://historyfirst.com/coin-hoard-buried-in-fall-of-roman-britain-estimated-at-20000/ .  

Finally, a siliqua of his brother, from the same mint, with an essentially identical design:

25.  Western Roman Empire, Honorius (son of Theodosius I and younger brother of Arcadius), AR reduced Siliqua, Mediolanum [Milan] Mint, AD 397-402 [Sear]. Obv. Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust right, DN HONORI-VS P F AVG / Rev. Roma seated left on cuirass, holding in right hand Victory with wreath standing on globe, and in left hand a reversed spear, VIRTVS RO-MANORVM; in exergue, MDPS [MD = Mediolanum Mint; PS = pusulatum (struck from pure silver); see Sear RCV V, Introduction p. 70]. 15.8 mm., 1.15 g. “[P]artly bluish patina . . . . Traces of corrosion on the obverse” at left. RIC X Honorius 1228, RSC V 59b (ill. p. 184), Sear RCV V 20968 (ill. p. 469). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 28 Apr. 2023, Lot 742, ex “Collection of Dr. E.”

image.jpeg.a83e67109ea71f589ac2707803e6b12e.jpeg

As always, comments and opinions are welcome.

So that's four lists posted for this year -- Roman Provincial, Roman Imperial, British coins & medals, and French coins & medals. There's still one to go, namely the list of my favorite Roman Republican coins for 2023. A much shorter list than this one, because I bought fewer Republican coins this year than I had the previous several years. I'm beginning to run out of types with reverses I find interesting that are neither too uncommon nor too expensive for me to find and buy! In any event, I still have one write-up to finish before I can post the list. It's one I've been stuck on for months: there are so many differing theories and interpretations on the identities of the moneyers (there are two), and the political and mythological symbolism of both the obverse and reverse, that I've been struggling to understand and synthesize all of them in a way that makes some sense and won't take up more words than Ulysses. And have been procrastinating mightily in getting it done. But I have a week left either to write the footnote, or throw up my hands and omit it entirely!

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 9

13 hours ago, DonnaML said:

Believe it or not, I did make an effort to narrow the list, and I did cut it down from the 45 or 50 I started with!  (After this list is done, all that remains is my Roman Republican list, and that will definitely be shorter because I don't think I bought as many as 10 new Republican coins this year.)

Part I: Denarii and Antoninianii.

1.  Trajan AR Denarius, AD 113, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right with light drapery on far shoulder, IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI PP / Rev. Female figure personifying the Via Traiana, nude above waist, reclining right (from viewer’s perspective) on rock outcropping, head turned to right; supporting wheel set on knee with right hand, and holding branch with left hand,  S P Q R OPTIMO PRINCIPI; in exergue, VIA TRAIANA. RIC II 266, RSC II 648 (ill. p. 102), BMCRE III 487, Sear RCV II 3173 (ill. p. 105). 18 mm., 3.48 g., 6 h. Purchased from Classical Numismatic Group, LLC (CNG) E-Auction 531, Jan. 26, 2023.*

image.jpeg.668858b7f58e240d2c94126bdef7e83c.jpeg

*This issue “records the construction in AD 109 of the Via Traiana, an important highway which replaced the Via Appia as the preferred route between Beneventum [in Campania]  and the port city of Brundisium on the Atlantic coast.” Sear RCV II, p. 106.

2.  Trajan AR Denarius, ca. AD 115 (Sear). Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder, IMP TRAIANVS AVG GER DAC P M TR P COS VI PP / Rev. Trajan’s deified father, Marcus Ulpius Traianus, bareheaded and togate, sits left on a curule chair, feet on stool, holding patera in extended right hand and straight scepter upright in left hand, DIVVS PATER – TRAIAN. RIC II Trajan 252, RSC II Trajan 140 (ill. p. 88), BMCRE III Trajan 500 (p. 101) (ill. Pl. 17 no. 20), Sear RCV II 3323 (ill. p. 124). 19 mm., 2.57 g. Purchased from Gorny & Mosch, Munich, Germany, Online Auction 299, 7 Nov. 2023, Lot 3693.*

image.png.872fc79b45415d2de0e2500209b9ae9d.png

*See commentary at Sear RCV II p. 124: “Trajan’s father, M. Ulpius Traianus, came from Italica in Baetica (southern Spain) and commanded Legio X Fretensis under Vespasian during the Jewish War. He was later granted patrician rank by the Emperor Vespasian and honoured with a consulship, probably in AD 70. Governor of Syria for several years in the mid-70s, the highly successful public career of Trajan Senior culminated with the prestigious proconsulship of Asia during the reign of Titus. His death probably occurred around AD 100, but his deification and appearance on the Imperial coinage did not occur until late in the reign of his son, the Emperor Trajan.”

3.  Hadrian AR Denarius, ca. 130 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 168: Group 9, “time of the visit to Egypt”), Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, HADRIANVS - AVG COS III P P / Rev. Romulus [or: statue of Romulus in southern exedra of Forum of Augustus], bareheaded, in military dress with cape, advancing right holding transverse spear in right hand and trophy over left shoulder [Spolia Opima: weapons of an enemy defeated in single combat], ROMVLO - CONDITORI [Romulus the Founder]. RIC II.3 Hadrian 1424 & Pl. 29 (Head type A) (2019 edition); old RIC 266 (1926 ed.); RSC II 1316 (rev. ill. p. 154); BMCRE III Hadrian 710 (ill. Pl. 61 No. 2); Sear RCV II 3538 (obv. var. w/drapery on far shoulder); Strack 263 [Strack, Paul L., Untersuchungen zur römischen Reichsprägung des zweiten Jahrhunderts, Teil II: Die Reichsprägung zur Zeit des Hadrian (Stuttgart, 1931)]. 18 mm., 3.10 g., 6 h. Purchased Sep. 2023 from Eric Kondratieff, Bowling Green, KY; ex Heritage Auctions, Oct. 12, 2022 Lot 62255 (“From the Historical Scholar Collection”) (formerly in NGC slab, Cert. No. 6327597-008, Graded XF [see https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6327597-008/NGCAncients/]). *

image.png.d77c464761c5e8a4629b56448e6acd27.png

*Very surprisingly, this reverse type of Hadrian, issued in the form of aurei, denarii, and sestertii (RIC II.3 1422-1431, 2891-2892, 3180) appears to represent the first instance in ancient Roman numismatics -- whether Republican, Imperial, or Provincial -- of a coin depicting Romulus as an individual figure (i.e., apart from his appearances with Remus in the “she-wolf and twins” grouping), as “Conditori” or otherwise. The indexes to Crawford and BMCRR list no individual Roman Republican examples (unless one counts the C. Memmius type [Crawford 427/2] with an obverse portraying Quirinus, who was sometimes identified with Romulus in his deified aspect; see my example posted as the fourth of four coins at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/2272-romulus-reemus-couldnt-they-have-just-made-ice-cream-together-like-ben-and-jerry/#comment-37898). The same is true for Provincial coinage according to RPC Online, and for Imperial coinage prior to this reverse type of Hadrian, according to OCRE. (Even after Hadrian, Romulus appears individually, as far as I can determine, only on coins of Antoninus Pius and Commodus.) As for the reason why Romulus was never depicted individually on the coinage in the more than 300 years of Roman coin issues prior to Hadrian, I can’t even speculate. Theories are welcome.

Although it has nothing to do with the reason for depicting Romulus individually on the coinage for the first time under Hadrian, I have seen it suggested (including by the person who sold me the coin) that the reverse type either was intended to depict, or was modeled after, the prominent statue of Romulus in the southern exedra of the Forum of Augustus. As noted at https://atouchofrome.com/forum-of-augustus-explained.html, a website discussing the Forum in detail, a “very large statue is displayed in the centre of the back wall” in this area; “this is Romulus holding Spolia Opima (weapons of an enemy defeated in single combat).” See this plan of the Forum at https://www.vroma.org/images/mcmanus_images/forumaugplan.jpg, showing the location of the Romulus statue on the upper right:

image.png.1b95e05d28cfb9ddb78b03d172bdf7b4.png

See also this explanation at https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/imperialfora/augustus/exedrae.html :

“Ovid attests that the mythical ancestors of Augustus were placed in the exedrae, hemicycles or semi-circular apses that open behind the colonnade of the porticoes. The back wall of the porticoes and the curved walls of the hemicycles were articulated with engaged columns that framed a series of rectangular niches that held portrait busts representing the dual ancestry of Augustus.

In the northwest exedra were the gens Julia, including a statue of Aeneas in the central niche. The descendent of Venus, he represented pietas or piety. Carrying his aged father and holding the hand of his son, he led them away from burning Troy. On either side are thought to have been his descendants: the legendary kings of Alba Longa, which had been founded by Aeneas' son, and where Romulus and Remus were said to have been born.

In the southeast exedra were the heroes of Rome's past. A statue of Romulus, bearing spolia opima (the arms of a defeated enemy won in single combat), represented virtus or courage, which Augustus now claimed for himself. Filling the niches on either side were the principes and triumphatores of the Republic, whose statues may have continued down the colonnaded porticoes, their deeds and achievements recorded in inscriptions that served as models of conduct for future generations (Suetonius, XXXI.5). By this pedigree, Augustus associated himself with Aeneas and Venus, his divine mother, and with Romulus, the son of Mars and founder of Rome. The pietas of Aeneas is suggested in Augustus having avenged Caesar's death, the virtus of Romulus in his recovering the standards lost to the Parthians and now dedicated in the new temple.

(Emphasis added.) See also https://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/imperialfora/augustus/forumaugustum.html:

“Flanking the temple and running the length of the square were two porticoes, which may have served as venues for the courts of justice. Behind this colonnade were two large hemicycles or semi-circular exedrae. Here, says Suetonius, Augustus

‘honoured the memory of the leaders who had raised the estate of the Roman people from obscurity to greatness. Accordingly he restored the works of such men with their original inscriptions, and in the two colonnades of his forum dedicated statues of all of them in triumphal garb, declaring besides in a proclamation: I have contrived this to lead the citizens to require me, while I live, and the rulers of later times as well, to attain the standard set by those worthies of old' (XXXI.5).

One showed Aeneas, the mythical ancestor of the Julian family, fleeing Troy with his father and son; the other, Romulus, the founder of Rome. Each was surrounded by their respective descendants, the Julio-Claudians and the illustres viri of Rome, whose statues had marble plaques recording their deeds to serve as a reminder to all of the standard they had set. Borrowing from Virgil's Aeneid, the decorative program of the forum combined myth and history to construct a new national mythology, one that, instead of looking to the future, was directed from the present back to the past.”

Although I’m not aware that any ancient author described the precise appearance of this statue of Romulus -- the product of one illustrator’s imagination can be seen at https://atouchofrome.com/images/forums/forum-of-augustus-exedra-interior-with-lawcourt-in-year-2-BC.webp -- the depiction on the reverse of my coin certainly fits the general description.  And, based on the subsequent contributions to the subject by @Eric K. (from whom I bought the coin), it now seems quite likely to me that a painting of Romulus carrying the spolia opima, found in Pompeii together with one of Aeneas and Anchises:

spacer.png

--  images that "likely represent the statue groups created for the Summi Viri monument in the Forum Augustum, Aeneas standing at the head of the Julian line of ancestors, Romulus at the head of Rome’s triumphators" -- constitutes rather strong evidence that the depiction of Romulus on the Hadrian denarius (and several later types) was modeled on the Romulus statue. If the statue was reproduced in the form of a painting in Pompeii, I think it's safe to say it was reproduced elsewhere in the Empire and in Rome itself, and would presumably have been a familiar image. It's a rather close match to the coin, except that Romulus is shown advancing on the coin as opposed to standing in the painting.

In any event, @Eric K. seems to have been the first to notice the connection, and I'm grateful to him for pointing it out. Here is a black-and-white reproduction of the entire relevant page from his book chapter, with the applicable quotation from Ovid at the top, and images of two aurei of Antoninus Pius, respectively depicting Romulus and Aeneas with Anchises:image.png.b3bb61f20bf1c1c02bc41d9bfdaca462.png

And here's a color image, from acsearch, of the spectacular CNG example of the Antoninus Pius aureus depicting Romulus (clearly not Mars because the figure is bareheaded; see the article cited in my previous comment), which sold in 2012 to our own @AncientJoe (and most definitely not to me!):

image.png.686843fe8f1edcfe7481164ac17e20f9.png

For the full discussion, see the original thread at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5014-first-roman-coin-type-with-individual-depiction-of-romulus-youll-never-guess-when-it-was/

4.  Hadrian, AR Denarius, Rome Mint, AD 121 (late) - 123 (Group 3, see RIC II.3 p. 109). Obv. Laureate head right (no drapery, truncation with part of upper shoulder line viewed from behind), IMP CAESAR TRAIAN – HADRIANVS AVG / Rev. Oceanus with crab-claw horns, reclining left, leaning on dolphin (tail up), with his head propped on left hand, and holding up anchor with right hand, P M – TR P COS – III. 19 mm., 3.17 g. RIC II.3 520 (ill. Pl. 12) (2019 ed.) (“Scarce”), RSC II 1109, Sear RCV II 3518 (ill. p. 149) BMCRR III Hadrian 127. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 628 [with old coin envelope].*

image.jpeg.b2352766e955387f58017136db83f44b.jpeg

*See BMCRR III, Hadrian Introduction, p. cxxxii: “Oceanus, picturesquely defined by claws on the head, dolphin and anchor at side, clearly marks the way of Hadrian to Britain.” (Hadrian traveled from Gaul to Britain in AD 122; see Clive Foss, Roman Historical Coins (Seaby, London, 1990), p. 109.) To the best of my knowledge, based on a search of OCRE, this type is the first of only three Roman Imperial coins to depict Oceanus. See John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (London, Seaby, 1990), entry for “Oceanus” at p. 225: “In Greek and Roman mythology this was the name of the river which was believed to encircle the earth. He was represented in art in the form of a river god with added marine attributes. Oceanus is found on a denarius of Septimius Severus of AD 209, alluding to the emperor’s crossing to Britain, and on a medallion of Constans I (see Bononia).”

Thus, although this type was minted a decade before the coins generally considered part of the Travel Series or "Provinces Cycle" -- which were issued towards or after the end of Hadrian's travels -- it clearly contemplates travel, and effectively serves as a precursor to the Travel Series. So I think I'll consider it an honorary member of that series.

5. Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 173: Group 10, “Provinces Cyle”) [136 AD according to Sear RCV II p. 148]. Obv. Bare-headed draped bust right, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Nilus, naked to waist, reclining right, resting right arm on urn[?] and holding cornucopiae in left hand; above Nilus’s feet, hippo standing left with head raised towards Nilus (mouth open, left ear visible), leaning against Nilus’s upraised left knee [or a rock?]; crocodile right in waters below; NILVS above.  RIC II.3 1547 (ill. Pl. 33) (2019 ed.); RSC II 990; BMCRE III Hadrian 860; Sear RCV II 3508 (ill. p. 148) (obv. var. laureate head). 18x19 mm., 3.30 g.  Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 647; ex C.J. Martin Coins (London, UK) (purchased Dec. 1997) (see notation on old coin envelope accompanying coin).

image.jpeg.4c97b10b7e1fbd81b92ef0e8916191f4.jpeg

6.  Hadrian AR Denarius, Travel Series, Rome Mint, 130-133 AD (according to RIC II.3 p. 173: Group 10, “Provinces Cyle”) [136 AD according to Sear RCV II p. 147]. Obv.  Laureate head right, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Italia standing three-quarters left, holding sceptre in right hand and cornucopiae in left, ITA – LIA. RIC II.3 1540 (ill. Pl. 33) (2019 ed.); RSC II 869 (ill. p. 139); BMCRE III Hadrian 853 (ill. Pl. 63 no. 14), Sear RCV II 3499 (obv var. bare head). 17 mm., 2.76 g. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 646; ex Spink & Son Ltd. (with old Spink coin envelope & coin tag stating price of 80 GBP).

image.jpeg.86a5662a967ed2dffb057565b7c2bf5c.jpeg

7.  Hadrian AR Denarius, Rome Mint 133-c. 135 AD. Obv. Laureate head right, HADRIANVS – AVG COS III PP / Rev. Tellus (Earth) standing left, tunic to her knees, holding a plough-handle with her right hand and a rake (or hoe) over her left shoulder, two ears of grain growing from ground behind her, TELLVS – STABIL [an abbreviated form of TELLVS STABILITA, loosely translated as “the Earth securely established”; see footnote]. RIC II.3 Hadrian 2052 & Pl. 38 (2019 edition) [noting that some specimens of the type have no rake or no ears of grain]; old RIC II Hadrian 276 (1926 ed.); RSC II Hadrian 1427; Sear RCV II 3543 (obv. portrait var.); BMCRE III Hadrian 741; Strack 275 [Strack, Paul L., Untersuchungen zur römischen Reichsprägung des zweiten Jahrhunderts, Teil II: Die Reichsprägung zur Zeit des Hadrian (Stuttgart, 1931)]. 17.7 mm., 2.72 g. Purchased from Odysseus Numismatique [Julien Cougnard], Montpellier, France, 4 Nov. 2023; ex Fraysse & Associés Auction Numismatique, 19 April 2023, Collection Y.K. [Yves Kolb], Hôtel Drouot, Paris (Sabine Bourgey, Expert), (part of) Lot 190 .*

image.png.0ac78c866548462851cc6de8598bbecd.png

* Pedigree: Yves Kolb (1903-1979) and his father Dr. Pierre Kolb (1875-1949) were both prominent French collectors of ancient coins, and long-time members of the Société Française de Numismatique. Yves inherited a large part of his father’s collection after the latter’s death, and after his own death in 1979 his heirs retained his collection until the April 2023 auction referenced in text. Here is a copy of his father Pierre Kolb’s obituary from the October 1949 Bulletin of the Société, mentioning Yves Kolb as well:

unnamed(1).png.7762cb7e8eacc4e2dfc1542035b59847.png

Note the presence of M. Babelon (Jean, not Ernst). I wonder if Pierre Prieur was related to Michel Prieur.

Tellus Stabil: Regarding the reverse of this type, see John Melville Jones, A Dictionary of Ancient Roman Coins (Seaby, London 1990), entry for “Tellus” at p. 300: “Tellus. ‘Earth’, both in the sense of ‘ground’ and of the inhabited world. From Hadrian to Commodus some coins and medallions were issued with the legend TELLVS STABILITA [here abbreviated as TELLVS STABIL] claiming that the world was, as it were, securely established by the emperor. Tellus is represented as a female figure with the attributes of plough-handle, rake, ears of grain, cornucopiae, globe, vine-branch or basket of fruit.”

See also the detailed discussion of the Hadrian types depicting Tellus at the blog of @Sulla80 at https://www.sullacoins.com/post/hadrian-s-stable-earth . Among other things, @Sulla80 quotes this description of Tellus in the book Dictionary of Roman Religion by Lesley Adkins (1996) (available at https://archive.org/details/dictionaryofroma0000adki/mode/2up ) :

image.png.6bd0f8e2b7d75f8f9574d2aa93f300c2.png

As @Sulla80 points out, citing @Valentinian's website (see augustuscoins.com/ed/unique/unique4.html#TELLVS), this particular reverse is unique to Hadrian, although both Hadrian and Commodus issued coins with a reclining Tellus on the reverse. He proceeds to summarize the varying interpretations of the type that different authorities have advanced:

“There are various interpretations and connections made for this reverse:

Does it refer to Roman desire for Italian agricultural self-sufficiency? Is it a welcoming coin as Hadrian returns to Rome? Is it a reference to the many provinces of Rome and the expanse of Rome's peaceful territory? Does it recognize Hadrian's generosity in his travels in the Roman provinces? Is there an earthquake connection? Could it be a 20th Anniversary Coin?

Does it recognize Hadrian's largess in his travels in the Provinces?

In my older copy of RIC (1926) Mattingly and Sydenham summarize as: issued between his return to Rome in 134 and his death in 138, "Tellus Stabilita sums up the results of his beneficient activities in the Empire".

Does it refer to Roman desire for Italian agricultural self-sufficiency?

A Sutherland review published in 1937 of the Mattingly Volume III of "Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum" published in 1936 comments:

"Hadrian's twofold Tellus Stabilita type (vol. iii, p. cxlviii) might refer to the desired role of Italy as a self-sufficient corn-growing area, within which viticulture was, nevertheless, not to be neglected (if Domitian's edict is correctly interpreted thus)"

-Sutherland, JRS Book Review, 1938

The reference to Domitian's edict on viticulture is explained by Suetonius:

"Once upon the occasion of a plentiful wine crop, attended with a scarcity of grain, thinking that the fields were neglected through too much attention to the vineyards, he made an edict forbidding anyone to plant more vines in Italy and ordering that the vineyards in the provinces be cut down, or but half of them at most be left standing; but he did not persist in carrying out the measure."

-Suetonius, The Life of Domitian, 7.2 

Is there an earthquake connection ?

There is certainly a possibility that the type of this coin is influenced by earthquakes in Rome and in the provinces and Hadrian's generous rebuilding programs. Trajan and Hadrian were together in a destructive earthquake in AD 115 in Antioch, during Trajan's reign (AD 112-117). The excellent and well researched blog, "Following Hadrian", mentions :

"On 13 December AD 115, Hadrian survived a violent and devastating earthquake while wintering in Antioch during Trajan’s campaign in the east. Hadrian had been in Syria since January AD 114 as imperial legate (envoy to the emperor) and, as such, had taken up residence in Antiochia ad Orontem (Antioch on the Orontes). The city served as headquarters for the Parthian wars. Trajan had returned from a campaign in Armenia when disaster struck on the morning of 13 December AD 115."

-Carole Raddato, Following Hadrian

One ancient source is Cassius Dio:

While the emperor was tarrying in Antioch a terrible earthquake occurred; many cities suffered injury, but Antioch was the most unfortunate of all. Since Trajan was passing the winter there and many soldiers and many civilians had flocked thither from all sides in connection with law-suits, embassies, business or sightseeing, there was no nation or people that went unscathed; and thus in Antioch the whole world under Roman sway suffered disaster.

-Cassius Dio Roman History, 24.1

There were also at least 3 substantial earthquakes during the reign of Hadrian that are documented in the well documented catalog of major earthquakes edited by Emmanuela Guidaboni:

(Catalog #111 ) AD 117-138 Italy - supported only by a vague reference by Cassius Dio

During his (Hadrian's) reign there were famines, pestilence, and earthquakes. The distress caused by all these calamities he relieved to the best of his ability, and also he aided many communities which had been devastated by them. There was also an overflow of the Tiber. To many communities he gave Latin citizen­ship, and to many others he remitted their tribute.

-Historia Augusta, Life of Hadrian, 21.5

(Catalog # 112) AD 120/128 Aoria, Cyzicus, Nicea, Nicomedia

Eusebius is again a source along with other inscriptions:

"There was an earthquake, Nicomedia collapsed in ruins, and many parts of the city of Nicea were destroyed. For their restoration, Hadrian gave generously from the public purse." . . . .

Could it be a 20th Anniversary Coin?

Foss in Roman Historical Coins, 1990 connects this coin with Hadrian's 20th anniversary of reign (AD 137, coin # 126, page 121): 

image.png.a0a9caadd853ec158c81221e146a54ef.png

[To me, the 20th anniversary interpretation seems the least likely of all, given that that anniversary occurred in AD 137, whereas the new edition of RIC II.3 agrees with Sear and other authorities in  attributing this issue to the 133-135 period, like all the COS III P P types.]

Is it a welcoming coin as Hadrian returns to Rome?

Mattingly (1936) makes a connection to Annona and classifies this coin as an "Adventus Augusti" type, celebrating Hadrian's return to Rome (by 5 May AD 134).

"We might think of "Tellus" as a presentation of that "re-established Earth" of which Hadrian boasts in a later issue. But, as the attributes of Tellus there are quite distinct, it seems better to regard this as a specialized type of Annona. The meaning will be much the same. The good government of Hadrian ensures that the earth gives freely of her increase. Pagan antiquity made little cleavage between spiritual and material blessings. ’The blessing of heaven on good government was expected to reveal itself in good harvests and fertile flows.'

-Mattingly, Coins of the Roman Empire in the British Museum v.3 p. cxxxv  . . . .

Perhaps many if not "all of the above", this coin could recognize Hadrian's return to Rome (in 5 May AD 134), the stability of the Roman Empire, the "Earth" that he made through his broad travels, and recognize Hadrian's impact across the wide-reaching Roman provinces.”

One other possible interpretation is that the type commemorates the 400th anniversary in AD 132 of the dedication of the Temple of Tellus in Rome, supposedly in 268 BCE. See the entry for that temple in the Adkins Dictionary of Roman Religion, cited above:

“Tellus, Temple of  Vowed by Publius Sempronius Sophus when an earthquake occurred during a battle with the Picenes. It was dedicated in 268 B.C. The temple was situated in Rome on the Carinae (the western end of the Oppius near the church of San Pietro in Vincoli). It may have been a rebuilding of an earlier temple. The Senate met at the temple once, when it was summoned there by Mark Antony the day after Julius Caesar’s assassination.”

For the full discussion of the Tellus Stabil type, with various members' contributions, see the original thread at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5284-a-new-hadrian-denarius-with-a-unique-reverse-type-tellvs-stabil/ .

8.  Julia Domna (under Caracalla), AR Denarius ca. AD 215-217, Rome Mint. Obv. Draped bust right, hair waved vertically and fastened in large bun in back, six horizontal ridges, IVLIA PIA FELIX AVG / Rev. Luna, draped, crescent moon on head, fold of drapery in circle around head, standing in biga of horses prancing left, leaning forward and holding reins in both hands, LVNA LVCIFERA. 20 mm., 3.18 g., 7 hrs. RIC IV-1 379c (p. 273), RSC III 105 (p. 56), Sear RCV II 7101 (ill. p. 553), BMCRE V 10 (p. 432) (ill. Pl. 67.11). Purchased from Dr. Busso Peus Nachf., Frankfurt a.M., Germany, Auction 434, 17 Apr. 2023, Lot 617; ex CNG Triton XX Auction, Jan. 10, 2017, part of group Lot  614 (consisting of 59 silver denarii of Julia Domna), No. E049*; ex A.K. Collection**; ex stock of Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel, Switzerland, purchased 1963.

image.jpeg.a3005b5c2f3cdfbc4271911c6d36f4ed.jpeg

* Photo and description of Lot 614 No. E049 (this coin) from the separate Triton XX A.K. Collection catalogue, which unfortunately is no longer available online. (I already happened to have a copy of the relevant page from that catalogue, which I received from a dealer from whom I bought No. E051 a couple of years ago.)

image.jpeg.ae82829c8ef423e4ea022845f3bfb7b2.jpeg

**The Triton XX catalogue’s group photo and description of Lot 614 and the A.K. Collection. The reverse of my Luna Lucifera denarius (above the small red dot) is among the handful of individual coins illustrated in the photo accompanying Lot 614. 

image.jpeg.25bd41a21064f4366106a38915a41e4c.jpeg

“Collection of 59 Roman silver denarii and antoniniani of Julia Domna.
AD 193-217. AR Denarii & Antoniniani. Includes the following: 58 AR denarii and 1 AR antoninianus(different mints). Fifty-nine (59) coins in lot. Coins Fine to EF, toned. Photos and detailed descriptions available online at http://ak.cngcoins.com [no longer available online].

The A.K. Collection of the coins of the Roman Empire was carefully assembled over several decades with a great deal of thought and commitment. The present selection consists of 755 silver and bronze pieces, mostly from the reigns of Commodus, Septimius Severus, Caracalla, Geta, Macrinus, and Diadumenian, and includes both Provincial and Imperial issues. There are also lots with a selection of Provincial coins and imitations of Hadrian to Antoninus Pius. The coins have been divided into the following 14 lots: seven lots contain only silver coins; two lots only contain bronzes; four lots containing only Provincial issues; two lots are from A.K.'s collection of Alexandrian coins; and one lot of ancient imitations and fourrées, etc. of silver and bronze coins of Antoninus Pius to Geta.

The quality of the coins ranges from Fine to Extremely fine. This interesting collection includes some very rare coins, as well as pieces from important collections like those of Dattari, Levis, Nägeli, Niggeler, Prince W(aldeck), Rosen, Steger, Stöcklin, and Voirol. In addition, most of the coins are provenanced from auctions or lists or were bought directly from stock such as those of J. Schulman, Amsterdam; Münzhandlung Basel; Münzen und Medaillen AG, Basel; Dr. Wruck and Habelt, Berlin; W. Winkel, Bielefeld;Frankfurter Münzhandlung E. Button, later Schweizerischer Bankverein, and B. Peus Frankfurt; H.P.R. Frey, Freiburg; Lanz, Graz; Rigö Münzenhandlung Konstanz; Naville,Geneva; Kurpfälzische Münzhandlung, Mannheim; Ars et Nummus, Milano; E. Beckenbauer, G. Hirsch, Münchner Münzhandlung K. Kress, and L. von Ohlendorf, Munich; AlexMalloy, New York; Seaby, London; E. Bourgey, Maison Florange, Maison Platt, and J. Vinchon, Paris; L. De Nicola, Rome; H.-W. Müller, Solingen; G. Neider, Stadtbergen; H.H.Kricheldorf, Stuttgart; G. Bernardi, Trieste; H.D. Rauch, Vienna; Bank Leu, and F. Sternberg, Zurich. 

A separate, fully illustrated catalogue of the complete collection has been compiled, containing the photos and full description of all the coins in each lot. This  catalogue will be available during the Triton lot viewing at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York, but you may also request that a catalogue be sent to you.”

9.  Elagabalus, AR Denarius, AD 219-220, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate & draped bust right, no beard, IMP ANTONINVS PIVS AVG / Rev. Liberalitas standing facing, head left, holding abacus [or coin-holder] in outstretched right hand and cornucopiae in left, LIBERALITAS AVG II. 19 mm., 3.15 g., 12 h. RIC IV-2 Elagabalus 100, RSC III Elagabalus 81a. Purchased from London Ancient Coins, 2 Jan. 2023.*

image.jpeg.dad678dfe505e90337f130aac98046dc.jpeg

*My first and only coin depicting Liberalitas.

10.  Philip I AR Antoninianus, 248 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Radiate, draped, & cuirassed bust right, IMP PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Hexastyle temple with statue of seated Roma on pediment in center, holding long scepter in left hand and [unidentified object] in upraised right hand, SAECVLVM NOVVM [ = new century or era]. 22x25 mm., 2.90 g. RIC IV-3 25b, RSC IV 198, Sear RCV III 8963 (ill. p. 154). Purchased from CGB.fr., June 2023.*

image.png.bee5c986bb5e7d2bdf0eac4ed84fac54.png

*This type, together with the SAECVLARES AVGG types issued the same year in the names of Philip I, Philip II, and Otacilia Severa, “belongs to the extensive series, in all metals, commemorating the celebration in AD 248 of the thousandth anniversary of Rome’s founding.” Sear RCV III p. 153. As Sear also explains (see id. p. 154), “This is a simplified depiction of the temple of Roma, part of Hadrian’s remarkable double-temple of Venus and Roma completed under Antoninus Pius in AD 141."

11.  Trajan Decius, AR Antoninianus, AD 251, Rome Mint (traditionally attributed to Milan). Obv. Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, IMP CAE TRA DEC AVG / Rev. Female personifications of the two Pannoniae provinces (Pannonia Superior and Pannonia Inferior) wearing long robes, standing face to face (heads not covered by veils), clasping right hands in front of a military standard between them [bottom half of standard worn off]; PANNONIAE. RIC IV-3 41a (Milan); RSC IV Trajan Decius 82 (p. 26) (Milan) (rev. var. [Pannoniae described as veiled]); Sear RCV II 9380 (Rome). 21 mm., 3.69 g., 6 h.  Purchased from cgb.fr, 21 Sep. 2023 (coin incorrectly categorized as RIC IV-3 26(b) & RSC IV Trajan Decius 81, with Pannoniae veiled and different obverse legend [IMP CMQ TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG]).*

image.png.72e0b8822d45d19575cf060c44f615c8.png

*The Two Provinces of Pannonia Pannonia “was a province of the Roman Empire bounded on the north and east by the Danube, coterminous westward with Noricum and upper Italy, and southward with Dalmatia and upper Moesia. Pannonia was located in the territory that is now western Hungary, western Slovakia, eastern Austria, northern Croatia, north-western Serbia, northern Slovenia, and northern Bosnia and Herzegovina.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia. It was originally created by Augustus in AD 8 as a single province, by dividing the former province of Illyricum (itself created as an Imperial province in 11 BCE) into Dalmatia and Pannonia. (Id.) Here is a map of the single province of Pannonia:

image.png.64638556179a185bf66a46fb7756919b.png

In AD 103, the Emperor Trajan divided the province of Pannonia into two parts: Pannonia Superior and Pannonia Inferior. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia_Inferior. A map showing the division:

image.png.b66b00b7ee306adf1de30194760a4f69.png

Later, under Diocletian, a further division of the Pannoniae was made into four parts: Pannonia Prima, Pannonia Valeria, Pannonia Savia, and Pannonia Secunda. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannonia for details of the region’s later history.

Personifications of Pannoniae on Coins of Trajan Decius Out of 68 different types of antoniniani listed for Trajan Decius in Roman Silver Coins Vol. IV Gordian III - Postumus (Seaby 1971) (“RSC IV”), including variants, two depict a single personification of Pannonia on the reverse and another nine depict separate personifications of the two Pannoniae (see RSC IV pp. 25-26) -- certainly the largest number of types and variants for any of his antoniniani, without even considering the aurei and bronzes that Decius also issued depicting the Pannoniae.

The types of antoniniani depicting the two Pannoniae vary in the obverse legends, in whether or not the heads of the Pannoniae are veiled, in the number and placement of the military standard(s) depicted, and in whether the two Pannoniae face each other, in opposite directions, or in the same direction.  It appears from acsearch that a substantial majority of the “two Pannoniae” types seen on the market show the two personifications facing in opposite directions, with depictions of the two facing each other found less frequently even though they comprise 5 of the 9 variants listed in RSC IV, and with those showing the two facing in the same direction, always left, by far the least common.

The majority of the different types and variants appear to show the Pannoniae with their heads veiled, covering their hair down to their shoulders, as in these specimens (not mine) sold by NAC in 2022 and by CNG in 2019, the first showing the Pannoniae facing in opposite directions and the second showing them face to face. [For images of these specimens, see my original post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5000-a-trajan-decius-antoninianus-depicting-the-two-pannoniae/#comment-63849 .]

My variant (see photo above) is somewhat unusual (albeit more common among the Pannoniae shown face to face), because unlike the two previous examples, the Pannoniae are shown without veils down to their shoulders. (It’s difficult to tell whether their hair is completely uncovered on my example, or, as seems more likely, they are wearing some sort of short head covering. Opinions are welcome!)

Whichever is the case, it’s certainly quite rare to find a specimen like mine with the details of the Pannoniae’s faces so well-preserved; almost all the ones that I’ve seen on acsearch, even without long veils covering their heads, look more like these examples from CNG in 2002, Tkalec in 2010, and Bertolami in 2020. [For images of those specimens, see my original post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5000-a-trajan-decius-antoninianus-depicting-the-two-pannoniae/#comment-63849 .]

Most authorities seem to assume that the personifications of the Pannoniae on the coins of Trajan Decius, however depicted, are always female, as is the case with most, if not all, personifications of the various provinces (e.g., on the coins of Trajan depicting Dacia and Arabia, and on the coins of Hadrian’s Travel Series). However, RSC IV lists two types or variants (RSC IV 84 and 84a, attributed respectively to Rome and Milan) that supposedly depict “a male on l. and female on r.” facing each other (id. p. 26). I have been unable to find any illustrations of these variants (please let me know if you're aware of any). Until I do, I remain somewhat skeptical of the idea that one of the Pannoniae was sometimes depicted as male with the other remaining female. Nor do I know what clothing or other characteristics in the relevant depictions led to that conclusion -- whether by H.A. Seaby in compiling RSC itself, or by Cohen, whose underlying numbering system was used in RSC -- unless examples like this one sold by Roma in 2018 were interpreted as depicting the figure on the left as bearded. I am not sure that I would agree with such an interpretation, given that I've seen a number of Roman coins in which the faces of female figures on the reverses are rather crudely engraved and appear at first glance to be bearded.

image.png.06a6faa452b6372bc2c4de1713ee09f4.png

The Association of Trajan Decius with Pannonia It should not be surprising that Decius depicted the Pannoniae so frequently (as either a single personification or two) on his antoniniani. He was “a native of Sirmium in Pannonia Inferior” (now Sremska Mitrovica, Serbia) (see the “Online Encyclopedia of Roman Emperors” at https://roman-emperors.sites.luc.edu/decius.htm -- or the nearby village of Budalia (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decius) -- and was the “first emperor to come from the Balkans region” (id.). He had served as governor in Moesia. (Id.) In addition, he apparently relied on the Pannonian legions as a base of support in overthrowing Philip I after Philip sent him to restore order along the Danubian frontier and suppress the rebellion of Pacatian in Moesia and Pannonia (id.); “we have epigraphic evidence . . . for support among the Pannonian Legio X, suggesting that Decius owed his accession in no small part to local troops.” (Id.) See also https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=pannoniae (“The division of this region into two parts is characterised by two female figures, on gold, silver, and brass of Trajanus Decius. . . The cause of this Emperor's attachment to these provinces is sufficiently obvious; for they were the first to proclaim his election to the purple, and it was to the fidelity and bravery of the Pannonian legions that he owed his victory over Philip. Hence it was the peculiar care and pride of Decius to rescue or defend Pannonia from the incursions of the barbarians”); https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5953/ancient-coins/ (“Decius also celebrated the men and troops responsible for his elevation to emperor with three new reverse types; GENIVS EXERCITVS ILLVRICIANI (genius of the Illyrian army), PANNONIA (which depicts a personification of the province) and DACIA (which shows [a] personification of Dacia holding a draco standard). This probably was a wise move politically, as very recently these Balkan troops had been responsible for the rebellions of Pacatian and Decius (and would be responsible for two more in the coming years)”). 

Rome vs. Milan Mints The antoniniani of Trajan Decius bearing the obverse legend IMP CMQ TRAIANVS DECIVS AVG have been uniformly accepted as minted in Rome. By contrast, those bearing the abbreviated obverse legends IMP CAE TRA DEC AVG (such as my coin) and IMP CAE TRA DECIVS AVG -- encompassing four of the nine Pannoniae types and variants listed in RSC IV -- were traditionally attributed (including by Harold Mattingly as reflected in RIC IV, as well as in RSC) to the mint in Mediolanum (Milan), struck there towards the end of Decius’s reign. Decius’s famous “Divi” series honoring 11 deified Roman emperors was also traditionally attributed to Milan at the end of Decius’s reign.

But ever since the publication of an article by K.J.J. Elks, "Reattribution of the Milan Coins of Trajan Decius to the Rome Mint," The Numismatic Chronicle, Seventh Series, Vol. 12 (1972), pp. 111-115 (available at https://www.jstor.org/stable/42666339 ), based in part on a study of die links, it has become increasingly accepted, as in Sear RCV II (see citation of this coin to Sear above), that the Trajan Decius coins with abbreviated obverse legends, as well as the Divi Series, were actually minted in Rome in AD 251, towards the end of Decius’s reign, rather than in Milan -- and, in fact, that there was no functioning mint in Milan during Decius's reign. See, e.g., @dougsmit's page at  https://www.forumancientcoins.com/dougsmith/feac51dec.html (discussing a “PANNONIAE” antoninianus with the abbreviated obverse legend IMP CAE TRA DECIVS AVG, and noting that the coin “was struck at Rome in the last months of Decius' reign. Earlier scholars attributed coins with this obverse legend to a branch mint at Milan but more recent die link information has shown these to be the final product of Rome.”) 

In the Elks article itself, the author explains in detail his or her conclusion, contrary to tradition (but agreeing with a position that Professor Alföldi had previously taken) that the coins at issue were the last issues of Trajan Decius minted in Rome, and were not minted in Milan. The author’s conclusion was based on considerations of cohesion and style, on the absence of evidence for the existence of a functioning mint in Milan during Decius’s reign, and, above all, on die links between the reverses of coins with abbreviated obverse legends traditionally attributed to Milan -- including Pannoniae types as well as types depicting Dacia and GENIVS EXERCITVS ILLVRICIANI -- and the reverses of earlier types unquestionably minted in Rome.  Among other things:

image.png.80c9f97d9fa9096238e029c487784a43.png

image.png.d0945bc81f35c818efc08d94c0a1c968.png

. . . .

image.png.0bbc7eafa5a523c99912f1e2d7147954.png

Regarding the die links:

image.png.5eaccff4fdd25848707d28dc04021d8d.png

image.png.1734baba537ee00d50b8849e510b29c1.png

Here is "Table I":

image.png.d3831d954c8755c6d7146fdc1e00e3ca.png

My one caveat to accepting Elks’s conclusion is that the illustrations of die links on Plate 14 include examples only of DACIA and GENIVS EXERCITVS ILLVRICIANI reverse types, and not of any PANNONIAE reverse types. So the proof in the article is not completely dispositive, although I see no reason why it wouldn’t apply to all types using the abbreviated obverse legends. I am not aware that anyone has undertaken a die link study in the 50 years since the Elks article was published, to try to compare the PANNONIAE reverses accompanied by the earlier obverse legends to those accompanied by the later legends (particularly comparing types showing the Pannoniae facing each other, without veils covering their heads down to their shoulders). And I do not have the time, the inclination, or the talent to do so myself! However, the few such specimens I found by looking at acsearch and Wildwinds all appear to me be rather similar. [For images of those specimens, see my original post at https://www.numisforums.com/topic/5000-a-trajan-decius-antoninianus-depicting-the-two-pannoniae/#comment-63849 .]

12.  Gallienus, Billon Antoninianus, 267-268 AD, Rome Mint, 6th Officina, 10th emission (Göbl & Reinhardt). Obv. Radiate head right, GALLIENVS AVG /Rev. Goat standing right, looking directly right at horizon, IOVI CONS AVG; in exergue, ς (digamma/stigma, representing numeral “6”) [6th Officina]. RIC V.1 Gallienus 297 (sole reign); RSC IV Gallienus 344; Sear RCV II 10236; Wolkow 18a6 (ill. p. 75 & Pl. XXX) [Cédric Wolkow, Catalogue des monnaies romaines - Gallien - L'émission dite "Du Bestiaire" - atelier de Rome (BNumis, édition 2019)]; Göbl MIR [Moneta Imperii Romani] Band 36, No. 731b [ill. at http://www258.pair.com/denarius/coinage.htm & in Reinhardt at p. 128 [incorrectly identified as 2nd officina] (Frank Reinhardt, José de Sousa, & Heidemarie Bieker, Gallienvs Antoninianii, The Antoninianii Collection of Gallienus by Frank Reinhardt (Eng. trans. 2022), available at https://www.academia.edu/77282280/GALLIENUS_ANTONINIANII_English_version_PDF ]. 23 mm., 3.37 g., 12 hr. Purchased at Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 106, 16 Feb. 2023, Lot 1072.   

image.jpeg.296ba04f7ea2ce81f5f42bb310c4d4f6.jpeg

13.  Gallienus, Billon Antoninianus, 267-268 AD, Rome Mint, 5th Officina, 10th emission (Göbl & Reinhardt). Obv. Radiate bust right, GALLIENVS AVG /Rev. Boar running right, HERCVLI CONS AVG; in exergue, Є [Epsilon = 5th Officina]. RIC V.1 202 (sole reign); RSC IV 317; Sear RCV III 10228; Wolkow 16a5 (ill. p. 69 & Pl. XXIV) [Cédric Wolkow, Catalogue des monnaies romaines - Gallien - L'émission dite "Du Bestiaire" - atelier de Rome (BNumis, édition 2019)]; Göbl MIR [Moneta Imperii Romani] Band 36, No. 729b [ill. at http://www258.pair.com/denarius/coinage.htm & in Reinhardt at p. 126 no. 3 [Frank Reinhardt, José de Sousa, & Heidemarie Bieker, Gallienvs Antoninianii, The Antoninianii Collection of Gallienus by Frank Reinhardt (Eng. trans. 2022), available at https://www.academia.edu/77282280/GALLIENUS_ANTONINIANII_English_version_PDF]. 20 mm., 3.24 g., 6 hr. Purchased at Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 107, 16 Mar. 2023, Lot 1126. image.png.c08b2651a89c2d7263b12fe0c1f3e316.png

14.  Probus, billon Antoninianus, AD 280-281, Serdica [Sofia, Bulgaria] Mint, 1st Officina, 4th emission (Pink*). Obv. Radiate bust right, seen from three-quarters front, wearing consular mantle (no sceptre) (Bastien bust code: H7), IMP C M AVR PROBVS P F AVG  / Rev. Sol standing facing in spread quadriga, with right hand raised and holding whip in left hand, SOLI INVICTO; in exergue, KA•A• [KA= XXI = 20/1 copper/silver ratio of alloy; A = 1st Officina]. RIC V.2 861 (var. obv. bust type); probuscoins.fr 3939 (this coin) [see https://probuscoins.fr/coin?id=3939]. 23 mm., 3.87 g., 6 h. "Extremely Fine. Very Rare right facing consular bust without sceptre. This coin published at Probus Coins Online (https://probuscoins.fr/) (since conserved).” Purchased at Roma Numismatics Ltd. E-Sale 107, 16 Mar. 2023, Lot 1474; ex Collection of Barnaba Skibniewski, Warsaw; ex Savoca Coins, 25 Feb. 2018.

image.jpeg.22f22df2ee55517401cd67e92b3dc88f.jpeg

* Karl Pink, Numismatische Zeitschrift, Der Aufbau der Romischen Munzpragung in der Kaiserzeit, VI / 1 Probus (Wien, 1949).

15.  Allectus, Billon “Quinarius” [1/2 Antoninianus or 1/2 Aurelianus; see fn.], 293-295/96 AD, London Mint. Obv. Radiate and cuirassed bust right, IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG / Rev. Galley left with mast and rigging (no rowers), waves below, VIRTVS AVG above; in exergue, mintmark Q L [L = London Mint]. 19 mm., 3.16 g. RIC V-2 55 (p. 563) [erroneously identified by dealer as RIC 128, which has Q C mintmark for Camulodunum mint]; Sear RCV IV 13870; Burnett 111 [this variety] (App. 2, p. 34) [Andrew Burnett, “The Coinage of Allectus: Chronology and Interpretation,” British Numismatic Journal Vol. 54 (1984) pp. 21-40, available at https://www.britnumsoc.org/publications/Digital BNJ/pdfs/1984_BNJ_54_5.pdf]. Purchased from Noonans (Noonans Mayfair Ltd., London, UK), Auction 269, 8 March 2023, Lot 736.* 

image.jpeg.886d075c49e7578e0aeb87f7c362a892.jpeg

*See Sear RCV IV 13870 at p. 231: "The equivalent of the bronze ‘post-reform radiate’ of Diocletian’s new monetary system, these half antoniniani . . . are often referred to as ‘quinarii’ because of the ‘Q’ which precedes the mint letter in the exergue. However, the true meaning must surely have been a ‘half’ of the current standard billon denomination, i.e. the antoninianus. The basic reverse type of this denomination is always a galley, representing the naval power upon which the usurper’s regime depended, though the details of the design vary considerably. At London the accompanying legend is always VIRTVS AVG, but at Colchester [Camulodunum] LAETITIA AVG also occurs.” This type, Sear RCV IV 13870 from London, encompasses a number of variations, and can be found with the galley right or left, “usually with mast and rigging and with varying numbers of rowers, sometimes with bird on mast, sometimes with oars uplifted on one side.” Id.

RIC V-2 55 is similarly broad in scope. See also Burnett, op. cit., at p. 27: “London has only one legend, VIRTVS AVG, accompanied by the same sort of galley as appears on the C mint VIRTVS AVG coins, which nearly always is also sailing left. There are, however, frequent minor variations at London. Some galleys sail right, some have no mast or rigging, or sometimes the mast is replaced with a figure of Victory or a reclining figure holding (apparently) a baton and a branch. London VIRTVS AVG coins can also be distinguished from their C mint counterparts by the presence of waves below the galley.” As stated above, Burnett 111 (see Appendix 2 at p. 34) is this coin’s specific variation, with the galley left, mast and rigging present, and no rowers.   

Burnett’s article presents a somewhat different view than Sear’s regarding the denomination of these quinarius “galley” types, using additional terminology to distinguish “antoniniani” from “aureliani.” See p. 27 of the article (footnotes omitted), suggesting that in fact the quinarii were equal to the antoninianius in value, representing one-half of an aurelianus, rather than half an antoninianus  -- keeping in mind that “antoninianus” is an invented modern term used to refer to certain coins, and was not actually used in the Roman world; other sources view antoninianii and aurelianii as having the same value:

“The coins, although they have a radiate bust, have a smaller diameter and a lighter weight than the antoniniani (3g as opposed to 4 ½ g). This weight is the same as that used by Diocletian for his post-reform antoniniani, minted in Italy and further east after 294, but I hesitate to see a direct connection because of the different alloys of the two coins. Diocletian's post-reform radiates contained no silver, whereas the 'quinarii' of Allectus had 1-2 per cent silver, not very much indeed, but apparently as much as his 'antoniniani' ever contained. The weight relationship of 2/3 to 1 does, however, suggest that the 'quinarii', despite the radiate portrait, were intended to be (in some sense) half antoniniani, since it was normal in the third century for half pieces to weigh two thirds of their whole. The fact that they were a smaller denomination led to a different pattern of hoarding from that of the antoniniani. Apart from the quinarii two main sorts of coin are found in hoards of the late third century, both of which we call 'antoniniani' today.  Preferable, however, as labels of convenience, are the terms 'antoniniani', referring only to the mass of poor quality coinage produced by Gallienus, Claudius II and the Gallic emperors, and 'aureliani', referring to the larger coins containing five per cent silver minted by Aurelian and his successors. Most of the coins of Carausius and Allectus were 'aureliani', and to some extent this explains their behaviour in contemporary hoards.

These hoards (to oversimplify) tend to contain either 'aureliani' or 'antoniniani', but rarely both; the 'quinarii' behave in this context as 'antoniniani' rather than 'aureliani'. . . .This interpretation of hoards has several implications. First, it apparently suggests that 'quinarii' were regarded as of equivalent value to 'antoniniani' (as opposed to 'aureliani'), in both cases half an 'aurelianus'.”

___

The other 10 of the 25, consisting of a couple of what used to be called "middle bronzes," four sestertii, and four siliquae, will follow, probably on Thursday. 

1 hour ago, DonnaML said:

21. Philip II, Augustus (son of Philip I) AE Sestertius, AD 247-248 (Rome Mint). Obv. Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust of Philip II right, seen from front, IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG / Rev. Philip I and Philip II seated left on curule chairs, side by side, extending right hands, with Philip I, nearest viewer, holding short scepter downwards in left hand, LIBERALITAS AVGG III; in exergue, S C [Senatus Consulto]. 30 mm., 17.53 g. RIC IV-3 267(a), Sear RCV III 9279 (ill. p. 188), Cohen 18. Purchased 22 Oct. 2023 from Carthago Numismatics (Kefi Mansouri), L'Isle Adam, Ile de France, France; ex Tunisian hoard.

@DonnaML that is a spectacular grouping, with top-notch attribution and issue notes.  Thanks for sharing.  

My contribution - an obverse die-match to your Philip II Liberalitas sestertius?  The wonky lettering here and there, the way the laurels point at the H...maybe?

image.jpeg.85c57daaf7767f5c06a5aafa514da6a2.jpeg

• Like 5

• Benefactor
4 minutes ago, Marsyas Mike said:

@DonnaML that is a spectacular grouping, with top-notch attribution and issue notes.  Thanks for sharing.  

My contribution - an obverse die-match to your Philip II Liberalitas sestertius?  The wonky lettering here and there, the way the laurels point at the H...maybe?

image.jpeg.85c57daaf7767f5c06a5aafa514da6a2.jpeg

Thank you, @Marsyas Mike. I think an obverse die match is possible, because it all looks very similar to me. Perhaps the shape of the nose looks a bit different? Also, the angle between the top end of the hair ribbon and the loop directly beneath it appears slightly smaller on your example than on mine, but I'm really not sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Thank you, @Marsyas Mike. I think an obverse die match is possible, because it all looks very similar to me. Perhaps the shape of the nose looks a bit different? Also, the angle between the top end of the hair ribbon and the loop directly beneath it appears slightly smaller on your example than on mine, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks @DonnaML - as with all die-matches, I'm never 100% either.  The nose on mine may match your example's but mine is somewhat clotted with green...snot?  Patina, I mean!  Yuck.  Sorry.  

When I got this one, I did crawl around the web looking for die-matches and here is what I found - wishful thinking, perhaps:

image.jpeg.86b46d0e8c63b6536e4bfcf8886148ad.jpeg

Die-Match Obv. & Rev.:

Bertolami Fine Arts E-Auction 50; Lot 593; 10.12.2017

Die-Match Obverse: 

Roma Numismatics Limited E-Live Auction 6; Lot 235; 25.03.2023

• Like 5