Nymph Histiaia

expat

Bought this coin because a/ I am amazed at the details the engravers managed to portray on such a small surface, and b/ I liked the look of it. It arrived this morning and is even better in hand than the auction pics. I know nothing about this ,and would be grateful if someone would take the time to write a few words describing the history behind it.

Histiaia. Tetrobol circa III-II century BC, Euboia. AR 1.55 g.
Wreathed head of nymph Histiaia.
Rev. IΣT – AIEΩN Nymph seated r. on galley; below, trident. BCD Euboia 387

4827075_1699545264.jpg.93028dc05ae4eaacb69c39db08cdf6a7.jpg

• Like 14
  • Heart Eyes 1

Coingrats on the lovely example!

Such a fun type with lots of different variations! Here are a few of mine:

1380053_1600340160.l-removebg-preview.png.fdc43cce7f274bc21176477e18e254d4.png

EUBOIA. Histiaia. 3rd-2nd centuries BC. Tetrobol (Silver, 15 mm, 2.06 g, 9 h). Vine-wreathed head of nymph Histiaia to right, wearing pendant earring and necklace. Rev. IΣTIAIE-ΩN Nymph seated to right on stern of galley, holding stylis in her left hand and resting her right on the deck; on the side of the stern, wing; below to left, monogram, labrys. ANS 1944.100.24022. BCD Euboia -. Lovely style; well-struck and rather uncommon. Minor die break on reverse, otherwise, very fine. From the Vineyard Collection, ex Hirsch, March 2002 ,219. Ex: Nomos

Hirsch221Lot219.jpg.98b415bcded19de12ee074e963e45193.jpg

From the Vineyard Collection, ex Hirsch, March 2002 ,219 (part of lot). Ex: Nomos Obols

2481081_1641892901.l-removebg-preview.png.90ee445280c72e517a5654d2db4728e9.png

Histiaia , Euboia.
c. 168-146 BC AR Tetrobol 1,94gr, c. 168-146 BC. Head of nymph Histiaia / Histiaia seated on galley decorated with wing holding mast. SNG.Cop.518. Double struck on obv. VF. Purchased from Art & Coins #2

CollageMakerPlus_201846185226409.png.d6b626108f38ec75594f2142ef32d5b8.png

EUBOIA,Histiaia

267-168 BCE. AR Tetrobol

(14 MM 1.58 gm). Head of

nymph Histiaia / Histiaia

seated on galley decorated

with wing holding mast.

SNG.Cop.518. TonedaXF

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

A1107LG.jpg.00a0e050ba1e811fe3f2f35d001eef33.jpg

Histiaia, Euboia (340 - 330 B.C.)
Silver Tetrobol
O: Head of nymph Histiaia right wearing an earring, hair bound in sakkos (sphendone) wreathed with vine
R: Nymph seated upon a stern of galley holding a mast with cross-piece (trophy stand), grapes on vine to left; wing on prow; IΣTIAI-EΩN
14mm
2.4g
BMC Central Greece p.127, 24-25; Sear 2495

Slightly overstruck. Die break on nose.

This type, from which the huge Histiaian issues of the following century are copied, commemorated the expulsion, with Athenian help, of the pro-Macedonian tyrant Philistides in 340 B.C

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 1

31 minutes ago, expat said:

would be grateful if someone would take the time

Barry Murphy is by far the best resource here. He has spent a lot of time on these coins as so many of them are highly problematic. I think @Phil Anthos recently said they are just too dangerous.

I have found them so difficult I rather pathetically just gave up but the key things to look out for and worry about are Don King hair and pellets for flowers. I’d really check your coin against Barry’s list as I worry your coin has those features.

Some more here -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-stevex6-2015-to-date-merely-an-ocd-chore.260951/page-4#post-2170918

and Barry’s page here-

http://bpmurphy.ancients.info/images/misc/histaiacomp.jpg

Because it’s such a tricky issue there are few who know enough to opine (and I’m certainly not one- I’m just flagging it as you asked for information.)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Beautifull! It always amazes me how they got such detail on such a small flan. The tiny AV 1/32 Dukat ND (1700) Regensburg had the skilled mintmaster Busch. These were 4mm. 0.04g. Then on the opposite scale you had magnificent AV 100 Dukaten/ like this 1629 Bohemia Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand III

f3afe5b1b923c03902a91109a0ab58d5 (7).jpg

ZGuheuo.png

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Deinomenid said:

Barry Murphy is by far the best resource here. He has spent a lot of time on these coins as so many of them are highly problematic. I think @Phil Anthos recently said they are just too dangerous.

I have found them so difficult I rather pathetically just gave up but the key things to look out for and worry about are Don King hair and pellets for flowers. I’d really check your coin against Barry’s list as I worry your coin has those features.

Some more here -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ancients-stevex6-2015-to-date-merely-an-ocd-chore.260951/page-4#post-2170918

and Barry’s page here-

http://bpmurphy.ancients.info/images/misc/histaiacomp.jpg

Because it’s such a tricky issue there are few who know enough to opine (and I’m certainly not one- I’m just flagging it as you asked for information.)

I'm not sure if I said that or not, but I certainly feel that way. These scare me almost as much as those of Apollonia Pontica, and I have seen too many convincing coins condemned. I'm not really good at identifying fakes cold, so I just stay away.

~ Peter 

• Like 3

• Benefactor
1 hour ago, expat said:

Bought this coin because a/ I am amazed at the details the engravers managed to portray on such a small surface, and b/ I liked the look of it. It arrived this morning and is even better in hand than the auction pics. I know nothing about this ,and would be grateful if someone would take the time to write a few words describing the history behind it.

In terms of the mythology, Histaia was a daughter of Hyreios, who in turn was a son of Poseidon.

We don't know anything more about Histaia herself, but Hyreios was well-known for hiring two brothers to build a treasure chamber with a secret entrance. They did so, but over time the treasure slowly dwindled and Hyreios couldn't figure out why. So, he created a trap that caught one of their arms. In order to avoid being found out, the free brother cut off the others' head.

This story has been told in several forms from different ancient writers. For example, Herodotus gave a similar plot for the Pharaoh Rhampsinit. In Herodotus' tale, the surviving brother eventually married the princess.

Histaia had a more famous brother named Orion, and a city called Oreos was founded next to Histaia. Eventually Oreos grew to take over Histaia after the former grew from their impressive cookie income.

Here's my Histaia coin. I don't own a silver version and likely won't based on what I read here...

Histaia.jpg.0c44f1d26620d0b30fc0c6a2722bd0b6.jpg

Euboia, Histiaia
Circa 338-304 BCE
Æ 2.24g, 14mm, 3h
Head of the nymph Histiaia to right, wreathed with grapes, wearing pendant earrings and necklace
Forepart of bull walking to right, above, lion’s head to right, IΣ-TI below.
BMC 13; BCD Euboia 485; HGC 4, 1535.
Ex J. Greiff Collection

• Like 7

Here's an AR tetraobol -

image.png.2b227f0c5fe4d9ddf5b43d3a409fbb39.png

Euboia, AR Tetrobol, Histiaia, 3rd-2nd century BC
Size: 2.30g, 15mm
Obv: Head of nymph right, with dotted necklace
Rev: IΣTI - AIEΩN, Nymph seated to right on the stern of a galley, holding a naval standard with her left hand, her right hand resting on the stern. She wears a sleeveless chiton, with a himation over her crossed legs, there is a wing on the prow; below a trident and monogram AΛ(?)

https://archive.org/details/zeitschriftfrnu03unkngoog/page/n223/mode/2up

image.png.f4fbf4a1cdba25283ba8359a3913fc7e.png

• Like 6