Hippopotamus and Elephant at long last

Tejas

Here are two coins I just bought. These two types have been on my wish list for years and years. Not that they are super rare or anything. I just never managed to get them for one reason or another. Now, I have won them both in one auction at reasonable prices.

Philip I. AD 244-249. AR Antoninianus. Antioch mint. IMP PHILIPPVS AVG; Radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / AETERNITAS AVGG; Elephant walking left, guided by mahout, holding goad and wand. (4.15gm, 22mm) Extremely Fine.

Otacilia Severa. wife of Philipp. AR Antoninianus. Rome mint. AD248. Hippopotamus OTACIL SEVERA AVG; Diademed, draped bust on crescent right. SAECVLARES AVGG; Hippopotamus to the right, IIII in exergue. (4.03gm, 23mm) Good Very Fine.

1775.PNG

1786.PNG

• Like 27
  • Mind blown 1
  • Heart Eyes 10

Elephants! Elephants! 

Titus Flavius Vespasianus, as Imperator Titus Caesar divi Vespasiani filius Vespasianus Augustus; Denarius of the Roman Imperial Period 80 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 19mm; Weight: 3.23g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC II, Part 1 (second edition) Titus 115; Obverse: Head of Titus, laureate, right. The Inscription reads: IMP TITVS CAES VESPASIAN AVG P M for Imperator Titus Caesar Vespasianus Augustus, Pontifex Maximus (Imperator Titus Caesar Vespasian, Augustus, high priest); Reverse: Elephant, cuirassed, left. The Inscription reads: TR P IX IMP XV COS VIII P P for Tribunicia Potestate Nona, Imperator Quintum Decimum, Consul Octavum, Pater Patriae (Holder of tribunician power for the ninth time, Imperator for the 15th time, consul for the eighth time, father of the nation).

TITUSRIC115.png.164000a50c58897420361930a569c627.png

Marcus Iulius Philippus I ArabsAntoninianus of the Roman Imperial Period 247/249 AD; Material: Silver; Diameter: 23mm; Weight: 3.25g; Mint: Rome; Reference: RIC IV Philip I 58; Obverse: Bust of Philip the Arab, radiate, draped, cuirassed, right. The Inscription reads: IMP PHILIPPVS AVG for Imperator Philippus Augustus; Reverse: Elephant, guided by driver with goad and wand, walking left. The Inscription reads: AETERNITAS AVGG for Aeternitas Duorum Augustorum (Eternity of the two Augusti).

PARABRIC58.png.5224dee591865d049b21b2acbad6e790.png

Quintus Caecilus Metellus Pius ScipioReign: Roman Republic, Civil War; Mint: Military mint, uncertain, North Africa, probably near Thapsus; Date: 47/46 BC; Nominal: Denarius; Material: Silver; Diameter: 17.5mm; Weight: 4.09g; Reference: Sydenham 1046; Reference: Babelon Caecilia 47; Reference: Crawford RRC 459/1; Pedigree: CNG Classical Numismatic Group, USA, Auction 171, Lot 258 (22. August 2007); Pedigree: From the Karl Sifferman Collection; Pedigree: From the St. George Collection; Obverse: Head of Jupiter right, laureate, bearded; above and below, inscriptions. Border of dots; Inscription: Q METEL PIVS; Translation: Quintus Metellus Pius; Reverse: African elephant walking right; above and in exergue, inscriptions; Inscription: SCIPIO IMP; Translation: Scipio Imperator; Translation: Emperor Scipio.

METSCRRC459-1.png.c820571cae891026f763ec27460de614.png

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 5

A lot of fantastic coins shown here. The two shown by @panzerman are jut breathtaking. 

The elephants appear to be quite small in relation to the rider. However, this may actually be an accurate depiction as they probably represent a now extinct species of northern African elephant, which was smaller than the modern African bush elephant. 

• Like 1