Nicest Nero (What is your)

Amarmur

1 hour ago, Edessa said:

Nero, AD 54-68. AR Denarius (18mm, 3.57g, 6h). Rome mint, AD 65-66. Obv: NERO CAESAR-AVGVSTVS; Laureate head right. Rev: SALVS; Salus seated left on throne holding patera in right hand, left resting at her side. Ref: RIC 60; BMC 90.

image.jpeg.d37823b678f76186839b583459e29510.jpeg

Look how happy he is haha

• Smile 1

Nice one !

normal_Nero_05.jpg.6812a338cc6ee7a264d8a

I do have something very similar :

dd59e7fd7b8e42218748ad218a9d299f.jpg

Neron Cesar (25/02/50-13/10/54) - Hemiassarion de l'atelier de Thyateira (Lydie), 50-54 CE
NЄΡΩN KΛAY[ΔIOC] KAICAP ΓЄP, Buste drapé de Neron tête nue à droite
ΘYAT-ЄIPH/NΩ-N, Francisque
17 mm - 3.54 g - 1 h
Ref : GRPC Lydia # 143. RPC I # 2381

Q

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

Wonderful Nero's everyone. I think Roman art during the 1st century really peaked and the coins from this era are some of my favorites. Hopefully I can add to my growing Nero collection (Temple of Janus As, Denarius with Jupiter, the Dupondius with Roma, Alexandria tetradrachm with Tiberius, Syria Tetradrachm with Eagle, Phrygia AE with Athena) and get a nice imperial victory reverse and port of ostia one (are they even available under $500?) Happy Thanksgiving!

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_9659.jpg

IMG_9657.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg

• Like 8
  • Clap 1

I would like to add two new Nero bronzes - one from Rome and one from Lugdunum. I really liked the portrait on both of them. Nero is a great collecting area if you like expressive portraits. Here are my two new Nero bronzes. Dates and pictures in order.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus; Reign: Nero; Mint: Rome; Date: 66 AD; Nominal: As; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 28mm; Weight: 11.80g; Reference: BMC 230; Reference: Cohen 167; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Nero 347; Provenance: Purchased from Bob Reis, USA, February 2019; Obverse: Head of Nero, laureate, right; Inscription: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG GERM; Translation: Imperator Nero Caesar Augustus Germanicus; Translation: Imperator Nero Caesar, Augustus Germanicus; Reverse: Temple of Janus, with latticed window to left and double doors to right with garland hung across ('ubique door'); Inscription: PACE P R VBIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT S C; Translation: Pace Populo Romano Ubique Parta Ianum Clusit, Senatus Consultum; Translation: Peace of the Roman people everywhere. The gates of the temple of Janus are closed. Decree of the senate.

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus; Reign: Nero; Mint: Lugdunum, Gaul; Date: 66 AD; Nominal: As; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 29mm; Weight: 11.35g; Reference: BMC 381; Reference: Cohen 302; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Nero 543; Obverse: Head of Nero, bare, right; small globe at point of neck; Inscription: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG P MAX TR P P P; Translation: Imperator Nero Caesar Augustus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestas, Pater Patriae; Translation: Imperator Nero Caesar, Augustus, high priest, tribunician power, father of the country; Reverse: Victory, winged, draped, moving left, holding in both hands shield inscribed S P Q R; Inscription: S C; Translation: Senatus Consultum; Translation: Decree of the senate.

NeroTemple.png.786db9475829890b22f7c80d23a50016.png
NeroVictory.png.3fd2f9a0f9a8b343ba8e70f9f0ae0d18.png
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 5

• 2 weeks later...

A recent purchase from England - a Nero Sestertius with Roma on the back. A common depiction and therefore nothing unusual. But I really liked the portrait.

"The reverse of the coin depicts a female deity who can be identified as ROMA by the inscription. The helmeted figure sits on a breastplate and rests his right foot on a helmet. With her right hand she holds up a Victory and in her left a parazonium, an approximately 50 cm long dagger. The weapons and the Victory symbolize power and claim to power. Roma was the personification, but also the patron goddess of the city of Rome, who was the center of power in the empire. This Sestertius was not minted on the occasion of a specific event and does not contain any information regarding Nero's term of office, so an exact dating of the coin is not possible. However, the title on the obverse, IMP NERO CAESAR AVG PONT MAX TR POT P P, suggests that the coin was minted towards the end of Nero's reign, as he had only held the title imperator since the mid-60s."

Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus; Reign: Nero; Mint: Lugdunum, Gaul; Date: ca. 66 AD; Nominal: Sestertius; Material: AE Bronze; Diameter: 36mm; Weight: 21.44g; Reference: BMC 327; Reference: Cohen 267 ; Reference: RIC I (second edition) Nero 516; Obverse: Head of Nero, laureate, right; small globe at point of neck; Inscription: IMP NERO CAESAR AVG PONT MAX TR POT P P; Translation: Imperator Nero Caesar Augustus, Pontifex Maximus, Tribunicia Potestas, Pater Patriae; Translation: Imperator Nero Caesar, Augustus, high priest, tribunician power, father of the country; Reverse: Roma, helmeted, in military dress, seated, left on cuirass, holding Victory in right hand and resting left on parazonium: behind cuirass two round shields and one oblong; Inscription: ROMA S C; Translation: Roma, Senatus Consultum; Translation: Rome. Decree of the senate.

nero.png.a9d80c2b458129e4e0caa140125fe06f.png

• Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 4

On 11/19/2023 at 4:43 PM, Amarmur said:

I saw this and I was awe struck on the level of detail this bronze Dupondius has. I bought it today for $50. I really didn't need another Nero but this totally was worth the price plus I enjoyed the Roma reverse. Post the nicest Nero in your collection. Denarii are nice but a quality bronze/brass is like gold

06EA22E8-45B2-4947-81F0-CFFD649CC3D7.jpeg

2EFD979A-55DE-41CA-A48F-D36CD42C5934.jpeg

6F5602E3-C1BB-4014-BD7A-17A17C122804.jpeg

That's a nice Nero, all right.  I like the portrait.

My nicest Nero (currently my only Nero) is this:

coins roman empire ca 54 68 ad gold aureus of nero

Edited by lordmarcovan
  • Like 3
  • Heart Eyes 3