Septimius Severus sestertius (try saying that five times quickly)

Parthicus

image.jpeg.6f9f7dd419866b85fcea47ba32c14d3c.jpeg

Roman Empire, Rome mint. AE sestertius (20.1 g, 27 mm). Septimius Severus (193- 211), struck 196. Obverse: Laureate and cuirassed bust of Severus right, legend around [L SEPT SEV] PERT AVG IM[P VIII]. Reverse: Emperor on horseback right, led by a soldier, legend around [ADVENTI AVG FELICISSIMO], in exergue S[C]. RIC IV 719. This coin: Purchased from Marc R. Breitsprecher, 2023.

(note: Historical section below contains reused text.)
Septimius Severus was born in 145 CE in Leptis Magna (in what is now Libya), of mixed Italian and Punic (and possibly Berber) ancestry. Little is known of his early career, but in 191 he was appointed governor of Upper Pannonia by Commodus. Commodus was assassinated on the last day of 192 and Pertinax proclaimed emperor, but was killed by the Praetorian Guard just three months later. The Praetorians then blatantly auctioned off the emperorship to the highest bidder, Didius Julianus. Meanwhile, on hearing of the murder of Pertinax, Severus' troops proclaimed him emperor, and he began a march to Rome. Julianus proved unable to raise the huge sums he had promised, and his support quickly fell away; he was killed after a reign of 66 days, and Septimius Severus entered Rome unopposed. Severus, realizing that the Praetorians were trouble, had Pertinax' killers executed and dismissed the rest of the Praetorians, replacing them with men from his own legions whose loyalty he could trust. 

Meanwhile, the legions in Syria had proclaimed Pescennius Niger as emperor, and he had received encouragement from Parthia and its allies, including Osrhoene. Severus first shored up his rear by proclaiming his commander in Britain, Clodius Albinus, as Caesar, then moved against Niger. He defeated Niger in 194, then fought in Mesopotamia against Niger's allies the Parthians, Arabs, and Adiabenians. As a result, Severus annexed most of Osrhoene as a Roman province. Albinus rebelled in 195, upset at being passed over as Severus' designated successor in favor of Severus' own son Caracalla. Albinus was killed in Gaul in 197, leaving Severus free to launch a more extensive war against Parthia. This went well for the Romans, including the sacking of the Parthian capitol Ctesiphon and temporary expansion of the Roman provincial border to the Tigris. However, he failed twice to take the key fortress town of Hatra and (like all Roman armies) made no headway into the Iranian heartland of Parthia. Content with the new territory in Mesopotamia, he moved on to other campaigns in North Africa and in Caledonia (Scotland). While campaigning in Britain he fell ill, and died at Eboracum (York) in 211 CE, leaving the empire to his two sons Caracalla and Geta. He left the Roman Empire with its greatest territorial extent ever, as well as founding the Severan Dynasty.

This coin was struck in 196 and commemorates Severus' return to Rome after defeating Niger and his allies. Although it is well-worn and most of the legends are missing, I nonetheless find it an attractive piece that appealed to me as soon as I saw it. On the obverse, the emperor is wearing lorica squamata (scale armor), and you can still see the individual scales clearly. It's also an interesting historical type, as the reverse commemorates a specific event and isn't just some deity or personification. Please post your coins of Septimius Severus, or whatever else is related.

• Like 24

Great coin with an interesting reverse scene. 👍

I'd post my decrepit old Severus 'bridge as', but I've posted it elsewhere several times recently so I won't bore everyone with it again.

Instead maybe I'll post this one. It's a sad story. I spotted it while browsing on MA Shops and was immediately taken. After purchasing and paying for it, though, the seller apologized and informed me that it had been sold in his B&M store a long time ago and he must have neglected to take down the listing. 😞 He refunded me of course, but it was a real disappointment.

It's an unusual type, with a great looking elephant, which I've not seen come up for sale since (I think maybe I saw one listed by cgb.fr not too long ago, but for a very high price.) Plus it would have been my first coin of Septimius Severus.

ALMOST, BUT NOT QUITE, MY COIN

combined291(1).jpg.e15a50a04144690d84a4dd9d5bac4d26.jpg

• Like 13
  • Cry 4

A nice acquisition for your collection. Just recently received my first Septimius Severus. I waited until an acceptable reverse came up indicating his African heritage.

Septimius Severus AR Denarius, Rome 207 AD. 20mm, 3.31gr.
RIC 207, RSC 493, BMC 531
SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right / P M TR P XV COS III P P, Africa standing right, holding out folds of drapery containing fruits, lion at feet walking right

Wky8L5BteS32rq9Z7XDbToT3iP4fa6.jpg

• Like 15

Good coin and write-up, @Parthicus. You don't find Septimius Severus sestertii every day. I was double pleased when I managed to get a Domna sestertius (what other reverse than Venus Victrix showing her back side?!). Will not post it again. 

A few times I bid on some Septimius Severus and Caracalla sestertii, but the prices went too close to the roof in my opinion, especially since the reverses were "generic" and the conditions were poor. On yours I like the bold portrait and the interesting reverse. But I would recommend you to inspect the coin as those white patches could indicate bronze disease. 

@CPK how I hate these stories 😐 I only buy ancient coins from auctions, so sellers losing a coin is unlikely, but I remember, many years ago, I bought a modern coin I wanted a lot, in a nice condition and with a great patina. One of the coins that were mandatory in my modern collection. The seller contacted me after 3 days, mentioning the coin was either lost/stolen or already sold but he doesn't remember. Fail. 

If you really want a Septimius Severus with this design, go for a denarius. They are cheaper and the beauty remains. My example, on a small flan (typical for this coin)

image.png.c71b5680be4c1eb527ba74a67264447b.png

19,4 mm, 2,7 g.
Septimius Severus 193-211. AR denarius. Rome. 197.
L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIIII, laureate head right / MVNIFICENTIA AVG, elephant, cuirassed, advancing right.
RIC 100; BMCRE 168; RSC 349.

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 15

15 minutes ago, ambr0zie said:

@CPK how I hate these stories 😐 I only buy ancient coins from auctions, so sellers losing a coin is unlikely, but I remember, many years ago, I bought a modern coin I wanted a lot, in a nice condition and with a great patina. One of the coins that were mandatory in my modern condition. The seller contacted me after 3 days, mentioning the coin was either lost/stolen or already sold but he doesn't remember. Fail. 

If you really want a Septimius Severus with this design, go for a denarius. They are cheaper and the beauty remains. My example, on a small flan (typical for this coin)

image.png.c71b5680be4c1eb527ba74a67264447b.png

19,4 mm, 2,7 g.
Septimius Severus 193-211. AR denarius. Rome. 197.
L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIIII, laureate head right / MVNIFICENTIA AVG, elephant, cuirassed, advancing right.
RIC 100; BMCRE 168; RSC 349.

Ha! That brings up another sad story. Awhile back I did bid on one of those Severus elephant denarii, and won. When I got the invoice I paid through Wise. com as usual. All went well until a couple days later, I was notified that the funds had been rejected by their bank and returned. Long story short, I tried multiple times to pay through various means with absolutely no help or cooperation from the auction house. Eventually I gave up, only to receive a notice a few days later that I was being put on a blacklist of some sort. That ticked me off and I told them so. Needless to say, I will never order from them again.

I still want a sestertius, though!

• Shock 1

Nice one. It's much harder to find a decent (read: F and above) big bronze of Septimius Severus than a virtually flawless denarius. Below is my example:

RomSeptimiusSeverussestertiusFelicitas(neuesFoto).png.e447e0209632f651ab5841ed0794efa9.png

Septimius Severus, Roman Empire, AE sestertius, 195–196 AD, Rome mint. Obv: L SEPT SE[V P]ERT AVG IMP VII;  29.5mm, bust of Septimius Severus, laureate, with drapery on l. shoulder, r. Rev: [DIVI] M PII F [P M] TR P III COS II P P; Felicitas, draped, standing l., foot on prow, holding caduceus in r, hand and cornucopiae in l. hand. 29.5mm, 20.23g. Ref: RIC IV Septimius Severus 701b.

Edited by Ursus
  • Like 13

Great portrait with an interesting reverse! Congratulations. I agree with what many already said here, its a challenge to find a good and affordable sestertius of Septimius Severus! Im happy to have found this lovely green one a year ago: 

28.4.png.b698bef585a272c59a3c78d67a2ec819.png

• Like 12

We would love for all of our coins to be EF, but Severus Sestertii can still be magnificent when worn.

Septimius Severus, AD 193-211. Æ Sestertius (30mm, 18.94g, 6h). Rome mint struck AD 195-196. Obv: [L SEP]T SEV PE-RT AVG IM[P VII]; Laureate bust right. Rev: [P] M TR P III COS II P P; Fortuna standing left, holding rudder set on globe and cornucopia; S-C across lower field. Ref: RIC IV 706a; BMCRE 580. Fine, nice apple green patina.

image.jpeg.a504d7fd38490405bd2bcd5bf329a696.jpeg

• Like 13

That is a nice example of Severus" victory over Niger sestertius. I have this very same coin which I bought at a coin show in Germany many years ago. Interestingly, both your coin and mine seem to have been struck on short planchets. 

Septimius Severus Sestertius On Horse OBV:REV  - old - 2023.png

Septimius sestertius Figure on ships prow - OBV:REV VGP NEW' - 2021 .png

Septimius Severus Sestertius - OBV:REV - Victory - VGP - 2021.png

Septimius Severus as - Victoria Brittanicae - OBV:REV - VGP 2023 - 1.jpeg.png

Septimius Severus - 2 two denarii - Legio ITAL and AUG. OBV:REV - GP 2023  - 1.jpeg.png

Septimius severus denarius ADIVT OBV:REV - GP.png

Septimius Severus - denarius - Divo Severo - OBV:REV - GP 2018-2023 - 1.jpeg.png

Edited by GERMANICVS
Spelling
  • Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor

Some great coins shown in this thread. I have no Imperial bronzes of Septimius Severus (I hardly ever even see them); only a couple of Provincial bronze coins. But here are some of his coins I like, including both the elephant and Africa types shown above, as well as a different "Divus" type:

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 198 AD, Laodicea Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, L SEP SEVERVS PER - AVG P M IMP XI/ Rev. Victory advancing left, holding wreath in right hand & palm branch in left, VICT AVG-G COS II P P. RIC IV-1 499, RSC III 695, Sear RCV II 6370. 19.29 mm., 3.15 g.

image.jpeg.f049ea50ccc1d87689b951a74878bec7.jpeg

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 197 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII / Rev. Elephant advancing right, MVNIFICENTIA AVG. RIC IV-1 82, RSC III 348, Sear RCV II 6317. 18 mm., 3.32 g.

image.png.a6485cd4072792232c1c723cab991c97.png

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 201 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, SEVERVS - PIVS AVG / Rev. Trophy with two Parthian captives seated at its base, facing outwards, with their hands supporting their heads, PART MAX P M - TR P VIIII. RIC IV-1 176, RSC III 370, Sear RCV (1988 ed.) 1767, BMCRE 356. 19 mm., 3.49 g. (Purchased from Harlan J. Berk, Ltd., 212th Buy or Bid Sale, August 2020, Lot 153; ex Philip Ashton Collection, acquired Jan. 1998). 

image.jpeg.b92e177a2a95cd273cc17e27514a8d59.jpeg

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 203-204 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, SEVERVS PIVS AVG / Dea Caelestis in headdress riding side-saddle on lion right, facing right and holding thunderbolt & scepter; below, water gushing from rocks left; INDVLGENTIA AVGG; in exergue: IN CARTH [probable reference to water project in Carthage]. RIC IV-1 266, RSC III 222, Sear RCV II 6285. 18x20 mm., 3.9 g.

image.jpeg.8a8fef99b09539acec3b051c2acce46b.jpeg

Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 207 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. Laureate head right, SEVERVS - PIVS AVG / Rev. Africa in elephant-skin headdress standing facing, head right, holding out drapery containing basket of fruit[?], lion crouching to her right at her feet, head left, PM TR P XV CPOS III PP. RIC IV 207, RSC III 493, Sear RCV II 6341. 18.73 mm., 2.95 g.  Purchased from Marc Breitsprecher; ex Madroosi Collection (Joe Blazick).

image.jpeg.1cd028ced5c73b1e3fbc4751c95c4d95.jpeg

Divus Septimius Severus, AR Denarius 211 AD, Rome Mint (struck under Caracalla). Obv. Bare head right, DIVO SEVERO PIO / Rev. Eagle standing three-quarters right on globe, head left, with wings spread and tail showing beneath wings to left, CONSECRATIO. RIC IV-1 Caracalla 191C, RSC III Severus 84a, Sear RCV II 7051 (ill. at p. 545). 19 mm., 3.28 g.  

image.jpeg.11a80d395bf1a5f71607be4e63bc23cc.jpeg

Septimius Severus, Billon Tetradrachm, AD 209-211, Phoenicia, Tyre. Obv. Laureate head right, AYT KAI CEΠ CEOYHPOC CE / Rev. Eagle standing facing upon club right, with spread wings and head to left, holding wreath in his beak; between legs, murex shell, ΔΗΜΑΡΧ ΕΞ ΥΠΤΟC ΤΟ Γ.  27 mm., 13.83 g, 11 h. Prieur 1533. Purchased from Nomos Obolos Auction 22, 6 March 2022, Lot 576.*

image.jpeg.ede8957f67ff2dcf0dda24250e7e1b7c.jpeg

*Obverse die match to example of Prieur 1533 sold at CNG E-Auction 443, Jan. 5, 2019, Lot 422, ex Freeman & Sear FPL [fixed price list] 1, 1994, A261. Reverse of this coin, including dots in legend, is die match to Prieur 1534 [obverse of 1534 differs from 1533 in that bust on 1534 is draped and cuirassed]. This coin is one of only three known examples of Prieur 1533: this coin, the coin sold by CNG in 2019 (ex Freeman & Sear), and Prieur 1533 itself (ex. M&M FPL 250, Dec. 1964/Jan. 1965, # 95).

Septimius Severus, AE Tetrassarion, AD 201-203, Moesia Inferior, Nicopolis ad Istrum, struck for Septimius Severus by Aurelius Gallus, legatus Augusti pro praetore. Obv. Laureate head right, AV • K • L • CEΠ – CEVHPOC • Π[ligate with E?] / Rev. River-god Istros, laureate, nude to hips, reclining right (from viewer’s perspective), head turned to right, holding with right hand a tree with four foliate twigs and resting left elbow on urn from which water flows, VΠA AVP ΓAΛΛOV NEIKOΠ; in exergue, ΠPOC IC. AMNG I/I 1310 [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I (Berlin, 1898) at p. 366 (ill. Pl. XVII nr. 34), available at https://archive.org/details/p1dieantikenmn01akaduoft/page/366/mode/2up?view=theater].* HH&J 8.14.32.14 [Hristova, H., H.-J. Hoeft, & G. Jekov, The Coins of Moesia Inferior 1st - 3rd c. AD: Nicopolis ad Istrum (Blagoevgrad, 2015)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 2642 [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)](var. legends). Possible die match to examples sold by Künker in April 2017 (see https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=3782272 ) and posted by Jochen1 at Forvm Ancient coins in March 2006 (see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=26898.msg175825#msg175825).** 27 mm., 17.54 g., 1 h.  Purchased from Classical Numismatic Group, LLC (CNG) E-Auction 531, Jan. 25, 2023, Lot 478; from the Dr. Michael Slavin Collection of River-God Coins, previous purchase “PB 12/18/99” according to accompanying coin envelope.  [Footnotes omitted.]

image.jpeg.97366ddaa8ba23412f65902cbad341f7.jpeg

Septimius Severus and Julia Domna, AE Pentassarion [5 Assaria], AD 209-211, Marcianopolis, Moesia Inferior [now Devnya, Bulgaria], Flavius Ulpianus, Consular Legate for Moesia Inferior from 209-212 (see https://www.wikiwand.com/de/Liste_der_Statthalter_von_Niedermösien ). Obv. Confronted busts of Septimius Severus, laureate, draped, and cuirassed, right, and Julia Domna, draped, left; around, ΑΥ Κ Λ ΣΕΠΤ ΣΕΥΗΡΟΣ ΙΟΥΛΙΑ [ = Imperator Caesar Lucius Septimius Severus Julia]; cont. in exergue in two lines, ΔΟΜΝΑ |  ΣΕΒ [ = Domna Augusta] / Rev. Tyche standing left wearing modius, holding cornucopiae in left arm and rudder with right hand; around, YΦΛ ΟΥΛΠΙΑΝΟΥ MΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ [ = Flavius Ulpianou Markianopoleiton]; E [mark of value for “5”] in left field. 28 mm., 10.79 g.  AMNG I/I 601, obv. leg. var. [Pick, Behrendt, Die antiken Münzen von Dacien und Moesien, Die antiken Münzen Nord-Griechenlands Vol. I/I  (Berlin, 1898) at p. 210; available at https://archive.org/details/p1dieantikenmn01akaduoft/page/210/mode/2up?view=theater]; Hristova & Jekov 6.15.35.4 [Nina Hristova & Gospodin Jekov, The Local Coinage of the Roman Empire - Moesia Inferior, I - III c. A.D., MARCIANOPOLIS  (Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria 2006)]; Varbanov (Eng.) Vol. I, 868 [Ivan Varbanov, Greek Imperial Coins And Their Values, Volume I: Dacia, Moesia Superior & Moesia Inferior (English Edition) (Bourgas, Bulgaria, 2005)]. Purchased July 2022 from YOTHR (Yoshua Three Coins), Herrenberg, Germany; ex Gorny & Mosch Giessener Münzhandlung, Online Auction 268, 29.03.2022, Lot 4308; ex Collection of Erwin Link, Stuttgart, Germany.

image.jpeg.53f3f2be63525dc8ff4aae4ac5b1251a.jpeg

• Like 12

• Benefactor

Wonderful coins all!

Being more a generalist collector, and by nature over-diversified, with scant representation for a given emperor or empress, here's my representative for old Septimius.

Septimius Severus, AR tetradrachm, Laodicea ad Mare, 209-11 AD.  From Roma E-Sale 75, lot 485.

15.42 grams

D-CameraSeptimiusSeverustetLaodiceaadMare209-11AD15.42gRoma754859-17-21.jpg.74f53da8bb80935753e4da21c217027a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Heart Eyes 2