Bizarre theory emerges that claims men think about the Roman Empire 'three to five times a WEEK'

Salomons Cat

It's all over the news.

- Daily Mail: Bizarre theory emerges that claims men think about the Roman Empire 'three to five times a WEEK'
- Independent.co.uk: Viral TikTok prompts debate about how often men think about the Roman Empire
- insider.com: Men, be honest — how often do you think about the Roman Empire?
- and so on...

This raises a bunch of questions. Why do women think about the Roman Empire less often? What do people think about when they don't think about the Roman Empire? Why doesn't anyone think about the Roman Republic? 

• Like 5
  • Big Smile 3
  • Laugh 6
  • Yes 1

Really weird question – seems like typical social media crap.

Why is the fact that Rome hasn't been forgotten considered so bizarre? Greek philosophy, Roman law, Judeo-Christian theology, and Enlightenment science gave the fundament of ideas that modern western societies are built on. It thus were surprising if people did not think about these matters frequently.

(Also, why should this pertain only to men? And does the Holy Roman Empire count, too? Asking for a friend...)

• Like 3
  • Clap 1
  • Thinking 1

That is absurd. Just an exaggeration. 

I think about the Roman Empire 5-6 times a day. 

I think about the Greek cities about 2-3 times a day. 

The 3-5 times a week applies to Roman Republic for me. 

I admit I think about the Byzantine empire once every 2 weeks and I have a less frequency when it comes to other civilizations. 

Edited by ambr0zie
  • Like 11
  • Big Smile 2
  • Clap 3
  • Smile 1

Who are these weirdos who think about the Roman Empire ONLY three times a week? Romae Aeternae, folks!

[IMG]
Trebonianus Gallus, AD 251-253.
Roman AR antoninianus, 3.56 g, 21.1 mm, 5 h.
Antioch, 4th officina, 3rd series, AD 252-3.
Obv: IMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS P F AVG, radiate, draped and cuirassed bust, right; •••• below bust.
Rev: ROMAE AETERNAE AVG, Roma seated left, holding Victory and spear; shield beside her; •••• in exergue.
Refs: RIC 89; Cohen 108; RCV 9647; Hunter p. cvi.

• Like 11
  • Big Smile 2
  • Cookie 1
  • Smile 1
  • Yes 3

1 minute ago, Heliodromus said:

I try to keep it fresh by thinking of different things on different days of the week:

mon: the roman empire
tue: dinosaurs
wed: space travel
thu: building survival shelters
fri: cutting down monster trees
sat: blowing things up
sun: metal detecting for gold nuggets

I revoke your man card for never thinking about football! 😉

• Laugh 2

23 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

I try to keep it fresh by thinking of different things on different days of the week:

mon: the roman empire
tue: dinosaurs
wed: space travel
thu: building survival shelters
fri: cutting down monster trees
sat: blowing things up
sun: metal detecting for gold nuggets

Yes! 🤣

• Big Smile 1

• Benefactor

Interesting post, @Salomons Cat!

I cannot believe that I fall within any “normal ” range on how often I connect with ancient Rome in my thoughts. I devote my attention to my coin collection (primarily Roman ) every day if I can. I also enjoy creating the artwork to accompany my Roman coins. At night when I’m falling asleep, I don’t count sheep — I count denarii. 😉

• Like 6
  • Big Smile 1
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1
  • Smile 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, ambr0zie said:

I saw the same question on Reddit yesterday. A person there had a very valid point - I think about Roman Empire very often, but how often does the Roman Empire think about me?

Math Lady GIFs | Tenor

Unrequited love is the worst 😢😭😂 as a huge LEGO fan I got a good chuckle seeing them jumping on the bandwagon with todays instagram post:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CxYFpTHNgKL/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Like 2

My brain never shuts off. I am sure I think about the Roman Empire at least 5 times a week but it doesn't come near the top of my list.

I think a lot about the end of the world several times a day but only for a short amount of time and say a prayer. I wonder if I'll be here or not at the time? I think it's a close call.

Bummer huh?

• Like 1