Long shipping delays really sucks the joy out of buying a coin!

JayAg47

• Benefactor
5 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

Those DHL boxes don't seem too sturdy!

The worst packed coin I ever received was just a coin thrown in a regular paper envelope - no flip/cardboard/etc - just a raw coin in a paper envelope. It arrived ok though!

The DHL shipping boxes are very flimsy.  I tried to have the coins sent by DHL International Priority, which is more expensive but also safer.  DHL uses very durable plastic shipping bags for that level of service.  Unfortunately the seller would not make the switch, which I was willing to pay for.

• Like 2
  • Cool Think 1

2 hours ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

That stinks.  All the vcoins DHL sellers that I can remember use a flat envelope.

Expensive coins should be sent more like this:   The box doesn't have to be that enormous, but you get the idea...

I'd want someone to travel with my $1m coin. And not touch it with his fingers 🤣

It's also a long way from the rarest ancient coin. There are 3 of them, for goodness sake.

Edited by John Conduitt
  • Like 4

So now my Olympia invoice has changed from "paid" to "shipped", but when I click on the tracking it shows all they did was create the FedEx label yesterday morning, and now two days later the package still hasn't made it into the hands of FedEx. I don't mind waiting, but do mind paying EUR 35 for "express" shipping if takes two weeks just to print a shipping label and not even mail it. If this is the best you can do, then don't charge for express shipping!

• Shock 1

That really stinks.

Speaking of slow, I guess I'll have to ask that European dealer, tactfully, if there's a tracking number on the package. Two weeks and no vcoins automatic shipping notice.

It's a smaller, but not obscure, store.  I'm mainly nervous because the first order (2022) had set my modern slow award; it took nearly 5 weeks.

• Like 1

• Benefactor

This shipment from Spain arrived in just ten days, ordered September 4th.  It was sent international first class, apparently cleared US Customs quickly (no tracking information available). I was quite surprised.

Antoninus Pius, BI tetradrachm, Alexandria, year 3 (139-140AD).  Eirene reverse.

Milne 1638 

13.42 grams; 25 mm

D-CameraAntoninusPiusBItetAlexandriayear3(139-140AD).Eirene13.42g25mmMilne16389-14-23.jpg.0fcb601ec72deb9eef839635ca27cf75.jpg

• Like 7

There is no amount of time which is good enough. My wife used to tease me because I would hit the 'Buy' button and then walk to the mailbox and bitch that it wasn't here yet.

Things take the time they take, although long waits can be frustrating. But what I really hate is when I get no confirmation at all and just have to hope it's on its way.

😠

~ Peter 

Edited by Phil Anthos
  • Like 5

I don't mind long delays. I give every coin from overseas 6 weeks from purchase before I send an e-mail with an enquiry, provided I have received confirmation of shipping. If I haven't received shipping confirmation I will send an e-mail after 1 week to ask if it has been shipped.

The long delay almost seems appropriate for the august items we are buying, and often makes the arrival more joyful. I imagine the coin reliving the long and arduous journey across the Empire to its most northern province. Sometimes, I think it is like waiting for a great meal, where the anticipation is as much of the experience as the dining itself.

Like most of my opinions on coins, this one is altered by my particular buying habits. My anxiety is probably diminished by the low value of the majority of my purchases. I imagine when there's large amounts of capital involved, the wait is a negative experience.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 9:35 PM, Heliodromus said:

I'm also waiting for my purchases from the recent Olympia auction ... paid EUR 35 for "FedEx Express" shipping over two weeks ago, and they haven't even shipped them yet...

So, one week later and my package is finally in hands of FedEx, but still in Germany  - stuck for last two days waiting for Customs clearance due to "improper or missing paperwork". The FedEx notification said for sender to contact customer service, but when I contacted Olympia  they said they would just wait to see what happens next...

I wonder if this type of paperwork-related customs delay ever resolves without further input from the sender?

• Like 1

On 9/15/2023 at 7:42 AM, Heliodromus said:

I wonder if this type of paperwork-related customs delay ever resolves without further input from the sender?

So, all's well that ends well ... finally received my package today after a 3 day customs delay. Not sure if Olympus ever did contact FedEx or not .. the coins were in seller's own brown cardboard box packaging (first time I've ever seen that) rather than FexEx packaging, which conceivably caused the delay, although it did have usual paperwork pouch attached so can't see why it should have done.

Now just waiting for eBay coin from France that seems to have passed thru US customs then disappeared a month ago ... this hobby will certainly teach you patience!

• Like 6
  • Cry 1
  • Clap 1

After two weeks of waiting with no shipping email, I contacted the European vcoins dealer through vcoins' contact.  I gave it a few days, but no response. I guess I'll have to reach out to vcoins.

I was more nervous than usual because it took forever and a day (4+ weeks) last time, although the automated shipping email was prompt), and there haven't been any new coins listed in a while. I had ordered because there was one particular coin which I really wanted.

Edit: Buried in the 'news' section on the dealer's vcoins page is the announcement that they're on vacation for two weeks. However, I really don't know if that refers to the c. August holiday, which they announced on a page crawler.

I'm putting this place on my personal 'avoid' list.  While I got my coins the first time and was quite pleased with the quality vs. the cost, it just isn't worth the hassle.  

What should I do? Should I wait a bit more or gently reach out to vcoins, in the most diplomatic way possible?

Edited by Nerosmyfavorite68

1 hour ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

After two weeks of waiting with no shipping email, I contacted the European vcoins dealer through vcoins' contact.  I gave it a few days, but no response. I guess I'll have to reach out to vcoins.

I was more nervous than usual because it took forever and a day (4+ weeks) last time, although the automated shipping email was prompt), and there haven't been any new coins listed in a while. I had ordered because there was one particular coin which I really wanted.

I and other collectors have had bad luck with the Vcoins internal messaging. Have you tried sending an email to the seller, via a direct email to the seller's email address?

• Like 1

• Benefactor

Another potential fly in the ointment regarding shipping from overseas is the looming US government shutdown.  If it actually happens, there might be an impact on staffing at US Customs, which could delay the processing of letters/packages, and air traffic controllers, which might curtail the number of flights nationally.  

• Mind blown 1

Yes, I hadn't thought of the latest kabuki theater. However, there will probably be minimal impact.

With all my worry about the other European buy, I hadn't noticed a lack of a shipment email from London Ancients, my latest order from six days ago. However, I noticed that they seem to take a few days to ship. Pre-December order-to-door time was around 2.5 weeks.  I allocated 4 weeks for expected delivery time.

I have a feeling that my Numiscorner order will come first, lapping the lot of them.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 3:18 PM, Heliodromus said:

Now just waiting for eBay coin from France that seems to have passed thru US customs then disappeared a month ago ... this hobby will certainly teach you patience!

So, a happy ending for this one as well, despite USPS incompetence all the way to the very end ...

Until a couple of days ago the last scan showed this coin at ISC NY. After first filing a complaint about the ISC NY (Jamaica, NY PO) location, I then filed a missing mail search request 2 days ago, and this morning received a text that my coin was at local post office (having skipped the two scans that should have taken place between ISC NY and here), and 30 min ago my neighbor rings the doorbell to hand me the package which had been delivered to them rather than me! The PO tracking still shows as undelivered.

I suspect the coin has been sitting at my local post office for last month, but when I visited them a couple of weeks ago they disdained to search for it on grounds that it should have been scanned on it's way if it was there. Well, it is here now, and it wasn't scanned, and the idea of USPS immediately locating it and delivering it from NY all in 2 days seems rather unlikely.

Delivering it to the neighbor was the cherry on the cake ! 🙃

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 1
  • Shock 1
  • Mind blown 2

7 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

My local post office seems to like to destroy priority packages.

I've seen USPS staff on r/usps_complaints (Reddit) quite happily say how packages get "destroyed" when heavier ones are dropped on top of them. It's a miracle how much of the mail gets delivered unscathed and some of it even in a timely fashion.

• Like 2