Herrenia Etruscilla

expat

A new acquisition received today, an Empress, which are of short supply in my collection.

Herrenia Etruscilla, wife of Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD.
AR Antoninianus
Obverse: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG. Diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
Reverse: PVDICITIA AVG. Pudicitia seated left holding sceptre and drawing veil from her face. Slightly weak reverse die strike.
RIC IV 59b. Hunter 5; RSC 19
 Rome mint, A.D. 250.  3,8 g – 20,5 mm

Herennia Cupressenia Etruscilla was Roman empress as the wife of Emperor Decius. She was the mother of Emperors Herennius Etruscus and Hostilian.
As with most third-century Roman empresses, very little is known about her. She was probably from a senatorial family. It is assumed that her ancestors settled in Etrusian lands. Herennia married Decius probably before 230and gained the title Augusta when Decius became emperor 249.
While information about her is scarce, coins with her portrait are numerous and easy to obtain.

Please post your comments, coins of the Empress or anything relevant.

dJy7N6TwgZp3N8fHZeW5L9m9fpE42G - Copy.jpg

Edited by expat
  • Like 15
  • Yes 1

Cool. I wanted an antoninianus with her portrait, but I decided to raise the stakes a little and get an as. With the same design. 

image.png.70088134f36c760efdbb3be65b7c6452.png

26 mm, 8,79 g.
Herennia Etruscilla 249-251. Æ as. Rome.
HERENNIA ETRVSCILLA AVG, bust of Herennia Etruscilla, diademed, draped, right / PVDICITIA AVG S C, Pudicitia, draped, veiled, seated left, drawing veil with right hand, holding sceptre in left hand.
RIC IV Trajan Decius 136c.

• Like 15

C1445LG.jpg.4e7a892cb9e671bb92f3d5a21c9d52fe.jpg

Herennia Etruscilla (249 - 253 A.D.)

AR Antoninianus
O: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, Draped bust right on crescent, hair in straight lines with long plait carried up the back of head, stephane in hair.
R: PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia, veiled, seated left, drawing veil with right hand, transverse scepter in left.
Rome
23mm
4.2g

RIC IV, Part III, 59b (Trajan Decius)

normal_herenses.jpg.294fdb15abd0216d899c4521c4493544.jpg

Herennia Etruscilla (249 - 253 A.D.)

Æ Sestertius
O: HERENNIA ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right.
R: PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia seated left, hand raised to pull veil from face & holding scepter, SC in ex.
Rome Mint
28mm
16.6g
RIC IV 136b (Trajan Decius); Hunter 16; Cohen 22.

• Like 15

@expat Nice, friendly portrait!!

@Kali I like this hairstyle

Here are two of mine:

normal_Herennia_Etruscilla_R261.jpg.a1c9f6bbd21f3c854d6fb79b905ffa2a.jpg

Herennia Etruscilla
AR Antoninianus, AD 249-251
Obv.: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust on crescent right
Rev.: PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia veiled standing left, drawing veil and holding sceptre
Ag, 3,06 g, 23mm
Ref.: RIC 58b, C17

normal_Herennia_Etruscilla_R607_fac.jpg.1d770d1c3d04eaf7d429487d61bb0978.jpg

Herennia Etruscilla
Ionia, Samos
AE28
Obv.: ЄΡЄΝ ЄΤΡΟΥϹΚΙΛΛΑ ϹЄB, Draped bust right, wearing stephane and set upon crescent.
Rev.: ϹΑΜΙΩΝ, Warrior advancing right, head left, with foot set upon prow right, extending hand and holding shield.
Ae, 12.41g, 28 mm
Ref.: RPC IX 682; BMC 363

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 15

33 minutes ago, expat said:

A new acquisition received today, an Empress, which are of short supply in my collection.

Herrenia Etruscilla, wife of Trajan Decius. 249-251 AD.
AR Antoninianus
Obverse: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG. Diademed and draped bust right on crescent.
Reverse: PVDICITIA AVG. Pudicitia seated left holding sceptre and drawing veil from her face. Slightly weak reverse die strike.
RIC IV 59b. Hunter 5; RSC 19
 Rome mint, A.D. 250.  3,8 g – 20,5 mm

Herennia Cupressenia Etruscilla was Roman empress as the wife of Emperor Decius. She was the mother of Emperors Herennius Etruscus and Hostilian.
As with most third-century Roman empresses, very little is known about her. She was probably from a senatorial family. It is assumed that her ancestors settled in Etrusian lands. Herennia married Decius probably before 230and gained the title Augusta when Decius became emperor 249.
While information about her is scarce, coins with her portrait are numerous and easy to obtain.

Please post your comments, coins of the Empress or anything relevant.

dJy7N6TwgZp3N8fHZeW5L9m9fpE42G - Copy.jpg

Excellent strike & attractive portrait ☺️!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is my (now sold) Sestertius with the rare Fecunditas revere instead of the usual Pudicitia:

IMG_3070.png.028fb1b6e867f1c663fd161d3e753378.png

HERENNIA ETRVSCILLA AVG - Diademed, draped bust right, hair ridged in waves, seen three quarters from the front, wearing stephane
FECVNDITAS AVG S C – Fecunditas, wearing long dress and cloak, standing left, holding cornucopia in left hand and placing right hand over child standing in front of her and raising both it´s hands.
Sestertius, Rome (6th officina) early 251 a.D. (fifth emission of Trajan Decius)
31 mm / 17,55 gr
RIC 134a (R), Cohen 9, Banti 3, Sear 9504

• Like 12
  • Cool Think 1
  • Cry 1

• Benefactor

A great example, @expat! I love the expression on her face.

Here's my one example of Herennia Etruscilla. As for Pudicitia, like every other one I've seen, seated or standing, she looks to me exactly as if she's holding a handgun to her forehead and threatening to pull the trigger.

Herennia Etruscilla (wife of Trajan Decius) AR Antoninianus, 249-251 AD, Rome Mint. Obv. HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, Draped bust right, wearing stephane, crescent behind / Rev. PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia standing left lifting her veil and holding scepter. RIC IV-3 58b, RSC IV 17.  21.77 mm., 3.82 g. EF.

image.jpeg.3e70501b5ff4b1da924e8aba82c17fff.jpeg

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 12
  • Smile 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

• Benefactor

Nice coins! Here's my example

HerenniaEtruscilla.jpg.d78f3073613fd705b60cc0ca2b3fb4b8.jpg

Herennia Etruscilla (wife of T. Decius)
AR Antoninianus 4.43g, 20mm, 1h.
Rome, 250 CE
HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust to right, set on crescent
PVDICITIA AVG, Pudicitia seated to left, holding sceptre and drawing veil
RIC IV 59b (Decius); RSC 19

• Like 12

This Etruscilla minted in Antioch fits the bill:

[IMG]
Herennia Etruscilla, AD 249-253
Roman AR Antoninianus; 4.10 g, 23.3 mm, 5 h
Antioch, AD 250-251
Obv: HER ETRVSCILLA AVG, diademed and draped bust right on crescent, hair smooth and with a long plait carried up the back of the head (Sear type b; Temeryazev and Makarenko type 2)
Rev: AEQVITAS AVGG, Aequitas standing left, holding scales and cornucopiae
Refs: RIC 64; RSC 3d; RCV 9491; CRE 540; Hunter p. xcix.

• Like 12

Silver Coin (AR Antoninianus) minted at Rome for HERENNIUS ETRUSCILLA, Wife of TRAJAN DECIUS, between 249 - 251 A.D. Obv. HER.ETRVSCILLA.AVG.: Diad., dr., on crescent r. Rev. PVDICITIA.AVG.: Pudicitia veiled, std. l., with r. hand drawing veil and holding sceptre. RCS #2731. RSCIV #19. RICIV #59b. DVM #5.

EKW-248 OBV.jpg

EKW-248 REV.jpg

• Like 9