The epic Byzantine portrait thread

Severus Alexander

Basil I, the Macedonian. 867-886.

I look forward to @voulgaroktonou's history lesson.

SB1709Basil2106.jpg.213a04c949be876a34baed8ef3596b39.jpg

Sear 1709. 26 mm. Basil on throne with wings curved back. Struck 879-886.
+BASILIO-S-bASILEVS*
+bASIL/IOS EҺ ΘEO/bASILEVS/ROMEOҺ

SB1710BasilCon2254.jpg.9f0d0fdfeaebf0786c7cc163909ae264.jpg

Sear 1710. 28 mm. Basil with Constantine VII. struck 868-870.

SB1712BasilI1507.jpg.89a3cdfaaa02d4c6458ab6204ecd5a9a.jpg

Sear 1712. 27 mm. Basil in the middle, Constantine VII on the right (slightly larger than) Leo VI on the left. Struck 870-879.

SB1721BasilIn2359.jpg.b7eb591bfc8868ab42888f72cd60738e.jpg

Sear 1721. 27 mm. "Uncertain provincial mint" (because of the different, cruder, style)
Basil and Constantine

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

2 hours ago, Valentinian said:

Basil I, the Macedonian. 867-886.

I look forward to @voulgaroktonou's history lesson.

SB1709Basil2106.jpg.213a04c949be876a34baed8ef3596b39.jpg

Sear 1709. 26 mm. Basil on throne with wings curved back. Struck 879-886.
+BASILIO-S-bASILEVS*
+bASIL/IOS EҺ ΘEO/bASILEVS/ROMEOҺ

SB1710BasilCon2254.jpg.9f0d0fdfeaebf0786c7cc163909ae264.jpg

Sear 1710. 28 mm. Basil with Constantine VII. struck 868-870.

SB1712BasilI1507.jpg.89a3cdfaaa02d4c6458ab6204ecd5a9a.jpg

Sear 1712. 27 mm. Basil in the middle, Constantine VII on the right (slightly larger than) Leo VI on the left. Struck 870-879.

SB1721BasilIn2359.jpg.b7eb591bfc8868ab42888f72cd60738e.jpg

Sear 1721. 27 mm. "Uncertain provincial mint" (because of the different, cruder, style)
Basil and Constantine

Beautiful coins, my friend! (My wife would say otherwise, she preferring earlier Roman and Greek).

• Like 1

Minted at Cherson during the reign of Basil I, the Macedonian, between 20 September 867 - 28 August 886. Obv. Large B stg. on exergual line; to r., cross. Rev. Large n; sometimes with cross in field to r., or with crosses to l. and to r. BCVS #1720 CBE #9 pg. 189.

92 BASIL I OBVc.jpg

92 BASIL I REVc.jpg

• Like 11

If his predecessor, Basil I, can be summed up as a “man of deeds”, Leo VI  emperor (886–912) preferred literary pursuits. For this reason, contemporaries referred to him as  the Wise or the Philosopher. Under his administration, centuries of Roman legal compendia were codified under such works as the Basilika, the Novels of Leo VI, the Book of the Eparch, and the Kletorologion. These works were invaluable in bringing Roman law to the West. In addition, a military manual was published under his name and it has come down to us as the Taktika of Leo VI.

Sadly, focusing on his intellectual pursuits, Leo neglected military and international affairs. The  empire suffered catastrophic defeats at the hands of the Bulgarians; in 902 the last imperial foothold in Sicily, Taormina was lost to the Arabs; and Thessalonike, the most important city after Constantinople, was sacked and razed to the ground by Leo of Tripoli.

Foreshadowing the dynastic concerns of a later monarch, Henry VIII, Leo’s lack of a male heir and the death of his first 2 wives caused the emperor much concern and severely destabilized the imperial court and its relations with the Church. His third and more so, his fourth and final marriage caused a major struggle between emperor and patriarch; Leo was, in fact, for a time prohibited from entering Hagia Sophia. Fortunately, his fourth wife Zoe Karbonopsina bore him a son, who would become Constantine VII.

Leo shared his throne with his brother Alexander, who was perfectly satisfied to leave the responsibilities of rule to Leo while he enjoyed the good life his position afforded. Whenever I think of Alexander, I always recall the lines of Yeats’ “Sailing to Byzantium”:

Once out of nature I shall never take

My bodily form from any natural thing,

But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make

Of hammered gold and gold enamelling

To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;

Or set upon a golden bough to sing

To lords and ladies of Byzantium

Of what is past, or passing, or to come.

Mint of two top coins is Constantinople; that of the third coin below is Cherson.

Follis, 886-912. 7.14 gr. 27 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1730; DO 6; BM 11-12; R. 1875. Leo and his brother Alexander.

Follis, 886-912. 9.19 gr. 26.6 mm. 7 hr. Sear 1729; DO 8; BNP 14-55; BMC 8-10; R. 1873. Leo alone.

Cast AE, 886-912. 1.89 gr. 17.4 mm. 12 hr. Sear 1732; DO 10. Ex collection @Valentinian. Bust of Leo.

S1730-32.jpg.433ec7f11333a292ac5d2548ded57be3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 3

The Sear book has the following to say about this particular Leo VI type "This appears to have been issued in greater quantities than almost any other individual type in the Byzantine series."

886_to_912_LeoVI_AE_Follis_01.png.b2ffd7eccae67088ae2acfb0c1c37171.png886_to_912_LeoVI_AE_Follis_02.png.14b9dabbff9ae11b0b21ec649ca1d445.png
Leo VI (AD 886-912); Constantinople; Æ Follis; Obv: +LEOn bAS - ILEVS ROM' Bust facing wearing crown and chlamys, holding akakia in l. hand; Rev: Inscription in four lines: +LEOn / Eh ΘEO bA / SILEVS R / OmEOh; 7.67g.;  Berk 918, Sear 1729

So get yours now!

• Like 10
  • Cookie 1

@Ancient Coin Hunter Nice, interesting Michael II 40 nummi bronze coin.

@Valentinian Interesting Micheal II 40 nummi bronze coins of different sizes. Interesting Theophilus bronze. Beautiful Basil I bronze 40 nummi coins.

@voulgaroktonou Nice and interesting Michael II bronze, silver, and gold coins. I especially like the green and gold coins. And interesting Michael II historical information. A fascinating collection of Theophilus bronze, silver, and gold coins. It's interesting, how different the Syracuse portraits look ("emaciated" as you put it), compared with Constantinople and Naples. Perhaps it was because, the Byzantine Empire had lost part of Sicily to the Muslim Abbasid Caliphate by the beginning of Theophilus's reign in 829 AD. And interesting Theophilus historical information. Nice and interesting Michael III bronze and silver coins, the only Michael III coins posted in this thread. And interesting Michael III historical information. Nice and interesting Basil I coins, and interesting Basil I historical information. The debased Basil I Syracuse gold coin is interesting. Beautiful Leo VI 40 nummi bronze coins, and an interesting cast bronze coin from the Cherson mint. And interesting Leo VI historical information. I always enjoy reading your historical information.

@ewomack Very nice and interesting Michael II 40 nummi bronze coin. The "XXX" and "NNN" are interesting. Nice and interesting Theophilus bronze folli. Interesting Leo VI bronze 40 nummi coin.

@Hrefn Beautiful Theophilus gold coins, showing the different portrait styles of Constantinople versus Syracuse. It's interesting, that Theophilus's image is on both the obverse and reverse, for the Syracuse coin. The only other Emperor/Empress, whom I know did this on some coins, was Irene on a gold solidus Sear 1599. Perhaps other Emperors did this. I don't know. It was definitely unusual.

@Jims,Coins Nice and interesting bronze folli of Michael II and Theophilus. Interesting Basil I Cherson bronze cast coin. It's interesting, how different the Cherson bronze coins look. Perhaps because Cherson was always at the edge of the Byzantine Empire.

@wittwolff Interesting Basil I bronze follis.

Leo VI The Wise was the Byzantine Emperor from 886 AD to 912 AD. Leo VI was called "The Wise", because he read a lot. He also wrote a lot, on many different topics, including political orations, liturgical poems, and theological treatises. Wikipedia says the following : "Succeeding generations saw Leo as a prophet and a magician, and soon a collection of oracular poems and some short divinatory texts, the so-called Oracles of Leo the Wise, at least in part based on earlier Greek sources, were attached to the Emperor's name in later centuries and were believed to foretell the future of the world." The following map, a snapshot of the nice Youtube video titled "The History of the Byzantine Empire : Every Month", shows the Byzantine Empire, near the end of Leo VI's reign in 912 AD. Compared with the end of Leo V's reign in 820 AD (see my previous post), we see that the Byzantine Empire has lost the large islands of Sardinia and Sicily near Italy, and the large Greek island of Crete, and some northern Greek territory. However, the Byzantine Empire has gained some territory on the Italian peninsula. But not the city of Rome. The city of Rome was held by the Papal States, at that time.
image.jpeg.681324f5a6616c415dc4e1c751edc77f.jpeg

Here are my 2 favorite Leo VI coins, in my collection. Both are 40 nummi bronze coins. Both are Sear 1729. Both portraits have a very abstract face, in the shape of an inverse triangle. The inverse triangle face portrait style, seems to have begun with Constans II in 641 AD. The inverse triangle face portrait style, became increasingly abstract, reaching peak abstractness and triangle-ness from Leo III in 717 AD, through Leo VI through 912 AD. The portrait style of these 2 coins screams "BYZANTINE!" to me. I like this portrait style a lot. Note the old square hole in Coin 2.
image.jpeg.525a60127ffdb5feb612a6d09799831c.jpeg

Leo VI The Wise. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 886 AD To 912 AD. Constantinople Mint. Sear 1729. DO 8. Maximum Diameter 27.0 mm. Weight 9.60 grams. Obverse : Leo VI Bust Facing Front, Short Beard, Wearing Crown With Cross On Top, Wearing Chlamys, Holding Akakia In Left Hand. Reverse : "LEON EN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON" Greek For "Leo By God King Of The Romans".
image.jpeg.576c0ddc1d3102e102bf3ad335c3b75c.jpeg

Leo VI The Wise. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 886 AD To 912 AD. Constantinople Mint. Sear 1729. DO 8. Maximum Diameter 26.0 mm. Weight 7.02 grams. Obverse : Leo VI Bust Facing Front, Short Beard, Wearing Crown With Cross On Top, Wearing Chlamys, Holding Akakia In Left Hand. Reverse : "LEON EN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON" Greek For "Leo By God King Of The Romans". Old Square Hole.

Edited by sand
Reverse inscription says "LEON EN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON", rather than "LEO NEN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON"
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Leo VI, The Wise

image.jpeg.f4266ba235fb26a623d1855c8f127898.jpeg

27 mm. 8.46 grams. Sear 1730.
Leo and Alexander, in both the obverse and reverse legends.

The most common Byzantine type comes in various colors. Here is is in red, dark green, and light green.

SB1729LeoVIred84106b.jpg.ab37e06a054a5a49d45afd0df1acdcb3.jpgSB1729LeoVI07224.jpg.605434a49c9a50d18a63b2c834d4c2c1.jpgSB1729LeoVI0780.jpg.efdd0c3a0152ab6d476183c86a875429.jpg

Each 27 mm. Sear 1729
+LEOҺ
EҺ ΘEO bA
SILEVS R
OMEOҺ

"Leo, in God (by the grace of God), king of the Romans"

For a webpage on how to read Byzantine coins, see here:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/legends.html

SB1728LeoVI14150.jpg.14448d0c3a15d223f6c5a31beb427fb6.jpg

26 mm. 6.84 grams. Sear 1728.

Next are four coins are from the Cherson mint. For much more about that mint, see:
http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Cherson/
The references below to "types" refer to that web site. 

(By the way, that Cherson is where Sevastopol in now in Russian-occupied Crimea, It is not the city "Cherson" in Ukraine that has been in the news a lot recently.)

These four coins are much smaller (c. 18-16 mm) and all cast, not struck.

image.jpeg.805a245aa9a1a3d2e8baf35fd0d126f3.jpeg
Type E18
Leo VI
17-18 mm.  12:00. 2.82 grams.
Sear 1731.

image.jpeg.0996262b8d228fdd490139ac4a3fb8ae.jpeg

Type E21
Leo VI
16mm. 12:00. 1.93 grams.
Sear 1732.

image.jpeg.f08c5a4a496e9a426cb8cc2d385eb28a.jpeg
Type E19
Leo VI and Alexander.

16mm. 12:00. 3.23 grams.
Leaded? Metal looks very base.
Sear 1733. 

image.jpeg.d5cfcceee50642a1f2318c75093c8051.jpeg

Type E20
Leo VI and Alexander
17 mm. 12:00. 3.03 grams.
Sear 1734.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Minted at Constantinople during the reign of Leo VI, the Wise between 28 August 886 - 11 May 912. Obv. +LEON.bASILEVS.ROM’.: Bust facing, with short beard, wearing crown and chlamys, and holding akakia in l. hand. Rev. +LEON/EN0EObA/SILEVSR/OME0N.: in four lines. BCVS #1729. CBE #4 pg. 193.

I have two coins, Which one looks better and should I attempt to clean?

69 LEO VI  OBV1.jpg

69 LEO VI  REV1.jpg

72 LEO VI  OBV.jpg

72 LEO VI REV.jpg

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Jims,Coins said:

I have two coins, Which one looks better and should I attempt to clean?

Interesting coins. I prefer the 2nd coin. If it were my coin, I wouldn't clean it, except perhaps to carefully remove the 2 small green blobs, to the right of Leo's head, using a microscope and a pointy scalpel. However, I'd have to see the coin in my hand, to know for sure, if I would remove the 2 green blobs.

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jims,Coins said:

Thanks for the reply, 2nd one does look better, did you notice on the reverse OMEAB on first and OMEAh on second coins

I believe that, on the reverse, the last line is supposed to be "omEon", because it's the last 5 letters of "RomEon" (meaning "Romans"), as continued from the previous line. Note the "R" at the end of the previous line. Therefore, I believe that the last letter on the last line is supposed to be an "n". It seems like, the last letter on the 1st coin looks like a "b", probably because of corrosion at the bottom of the letter. Then again, I'd have to look at the coin in my hand, to be sure. The letters on the reverse have no spaces between them. Therefore, the letters on the reverse just flow from 1 line to the next. If the letters on the reverse are spaced correctly, then the letters on the reverse spell out "LEO NEN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON", which is Greek for "Leo By God King Of The Romans".

Edited by sand
  • Like 1

Actually, after looking it up, I think the reverse inscription says "LEON EN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON", rather than "LEO NEN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON". The "N" goes with "LEO", not with "EN". Looking at the obverse inscription, and remembering the inscriptions on previous Leo Emperors's coins (for example Leo V), was what made me realize my mistake. I went back, and I corrected my text for my Leo VI coin photos above.

Edited by sand

On 7/21/2023 at 6:49 PM, sand said:

@Ancient Coin Hunter Nice, interesting Michael II 40 nummi bronze coin.

@Valentinian Interesting Micheal II 40 nummi bronze coins of different sizes. Interesting Theophilus bronze. Beautiful Basil I bronze 40 nummi coins.

@voulgaroktonou Nice and interesting Michael II bronze, silver, and gold coins. I especially like the green and gold coins. And interesting Michael II historical information. A fascinating collection of Theophilus bronze, silver, and gold coins. It's interesting, how different the Syracuse portraits look ("emaciated" as you put it), compared with Constantinople and Naples. Perhaps it was because, the Byzantine Empire had lost part of Sicily to the Muslim Abbasid Caliphate by the beginning of Theophilus's reign in 829 AD. And interesting Theophilus historical information. Nice and interesting Michael III bronze and silver coins, the only Michael III coins posted in this thread. And interesting Michael III historical information. Nice and interesting Basil I coins, and interesting Basil I historical information. The debased Basil I Syracuse gold coin is interesting. Beautiful Leo VI 40 nummi bronze coins, and an interesting cast bronze coin from the Cherson mint. And interesting Leo VI historical information. I always enjoy reading your historical information.

@ewomack Very nice and interesting Michael II 40 nummi bronze coin. The "XXX" and "NNN" are interesting. Nice and interesting Theophilus bronze folli. Interesting Leo VI bronze 40 nummi coin.

@Hrefn Beautiful Theophilus gold coins, showing the different portrait styles of Constantinople versus Syracuse. It's interesting, that Theophilus's image is on both the obverse and reverse, for the Syracuse coin. The only other Emperor/Empress, whom I know did this on some coins, was Irene on a gold solidus Sear 1599. Perhaps other Emperors did this. I don't know. It was definitely unusual.

@Jims,Coins Nice and interesting bronze folli of Michael II and Theophilus. Interesting Basil I Cherson bronze cast coin. It's interesting, how different the Cherson bronze coins look. Perhaps because Cherson was always at the edge of the Byzantine Empire.

@wittwolff Interesting Basil I bronze follis.

Leo VI The Wise was the Byzantine Emperor from 886 AD to 912 AD. Leo VI was called "The Wise", because he read a lot. He also wrote a lot, on many different topics, including political orations, liturgical poems, and theological treatises. Wikipedia says the following : "Succeeding generations saw Leo as a prophet and a magician, and soon a collection of oracular poems and some short divinatory texts, the so-called Oracles of Leo the Wise, at least in part based on earlier Greek sources, were attached to the Emperor's name in later centuries and were believed to foretell the future of the world." The following map, a snapshot of the nice Youtube video titled "The History of the Byzantine Empire : Every Month", shows the Byzantine Empire, near the end of Leo VI's reign in 912 AD. Compared with the end of Leo V's reign in 820 AD (see my previous post), we see that the Byzantine Empire has lost the large islands of Sardinia and Sicily near Italy, and the large Greek island of Crete, and some northern Greek territory. However, the Byzantine Empire has gained some territory on the Italian peninsula. But not the city of Rome. The city of Rome was held by the Papal States, at that time.
image.jpeg.681324f5a6616c415dc4e1c751edc77f.jpeg

Here are my 2 favorite Leo VI coins, in my collection. Both are 40 nummi bronze coins. Both are Sear 1729. Both portraits have a very abstract face, in the shape of an inverse triangle. The inverse triangle face portrait style, seems to have begun with Constans II in 641 AD. The inverse triangle face portrait style, became increasingly abstract, reaching peak abstractness and triangle-ness from Leo III in 717 AD, through Leo VI through 912 AD. The portrait style of these 2 coins screams "BYZANTINE!" to me. I like this portrait style a lot. Note the old square hole in Coin 2.
image.jpeg.525a60127ffdb5feb612a6d09799831c.jpeg

Leo VI The Wise. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 886 AD To 912 AD. Constantinople Mint. Sear 1729. DO 8. Maximum Diameter 27.0 mm. Weight 9.60 grams. Obverse : Leo VI Bust Facing Front, Short Beard, Wearing Crown With Cross On Top, Wearing Chlamys, Holding Akakia In Left Hand. Reverse : "LEON EN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON" Greek For "Leo By God King Of The Romans".
image.jpeg.576c0ddc1d3102e102bf3ad335c3b75c.jpeg

Leo VI The Wise. AE 40 Nummi Follis. Minted 886 AD To 912 AD. Constantinople Mint. Sear 1729. DO 8. Maximum Diameter 26.0 mm. Weight 7.02 grams. Obverse : Leo VI Bust Facing Front, Short Beard, Wearing Crown With Cross On Top, Wearing Chlamys, Holding Akakia In Left Hand. Reverse : "LEON EN THEO BASILEUS ROMEON" Greek For "Leo By God King Of The Romans". Old Square Hole.

Thank you, @Sand, I love your time line maps!

• Like 1

Constantine VII Porphyrogennetos (the term means “purple born”, i. e., a child born to a reigning emperor) was raised to the throne as co-Augustus by his father Leo VI in 908 at the age of 3. On his father’s death in 912, he shared the throne with his dissolute uncle Alexander, and on the latter’s death in 913, became sole Augustus. The young emperor had a limitless curiosity and was given to intellectual and artistic pursuits, but for nearly four decades, Constantine remained in the background, with actual power wielded by a succession of powerful regents, including the Patriarch Nicholas Mystikos, his mother the Empress Zoe, then by the ambitious Byzantine admiral Romanos Lekapenos.

Once Romanos forced himself upon the throne at the end of 920, he soon relegated the Porphyrogennetos to the background, and raised three of his sons to the rank of Augusti in preference to the legitimate emperor.  The coinage reflects this with a proliferation of their names, which we shall see in the next installments Although our theme has been illustrations of the emperors on their coins, because I seldom collect gold, this jockeying for power can be best illustrated on a few miliaresia, where their names are displayed in order of rank.

Mint of all coins is Constantinople

Constantine and Zoe. Follis, 914-919. 6.95 gr. 24.7 mm. 5 hr. Sear 1758; DO 22; BNP 1-24; BM 1-6; R. 1883-85

Constantine alone. Miliaresion, 914-21. 3.13 gr. 25.7 mm. 12 hr. Sear 1752; DO 16

Constantine alone. Follis, 920-31 . 7.22 gr. 25 mm. 4 hr. Sear 1759; DO 23; BNP 25-30; BM 11-13; R. 1898-99. Ex Hunt collection, Sotheby’s 6/21/91, lot 226.

S1758-1759.jpg.4e2ba9a2248f27fa35decb604d2e9a05.jpg
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1

• Benefactor

Here's a miliaresion of Romanus, Christopher, and Constantine Porphyryogenitos.

Constantine VII Porphyrogenitos, with Romanus I and Christopher, 913-959. 

(AR, 25 mm, 3.15 g, 12 h), Constantinople.

Obv. IҺSЧS XRISTЧS ҺICA Cross potent set on three steps; below, globe.

Rev. +ROmAҺO' / XPISTOFOR' / CЄ COҺSTAҺ' / ЄҺ X'ω ЄVSЄ/b' bASIL' R' in five lines.

DOC 18. SB 1754.

Leu auction, April 2021

constantinevii.jpg.729f6c125f1c93fd7eda00c1f19ca3ad.jpg

• Like 11

I wrote about Constantine VII and Romanus here:

http://augustuscoins.com/ed/Byz/ConVII.html

I wish you would visit that page to see the coins. I will only reproduce one here:
SB1761ConVII2228.jpg.ba716cc0e0779c17f76682719b36c360.jpg

Constantine VII, 913-959
Struck 945-c. 950
26 mm. 6.77 grams.

Facing bust of Constantine VII, holding globus cruciger in left hand and akakia in front of his chest in his right hand. 
+COҺ
ST bA - SIL ROM' around ["N" looks like "Һ" on these coins]
"Constantine, emperor of the Romans"
Four line reverse legend:
+COҺST/ЄҺ ΘЄO bA/SILЄVSR/OMЄOҺ
"Constantine, in God (by the grace of God), ruler of the Romans"

Sear 1761.
DOC Constantine VII 26 "945-c. 950" ("Class 5")

Again, the link is:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Romanos I Lekapenos, emperor (920–44) was from an obscure Armenian family. He pursued a naval career and eventually was made droungarios (admiral) of the fleet. His ultimate ambition was to gain the throne. During the regency of Constantine VII’s mother Zoe,  he married his daughter Helen to the young emperor Constantine VII in 919. He rapidly increased his influence over the young Basileus and in Dec. 920 had himself crowned co-Augustus. Relegating the Porphyrogennetos to the background, he crowned his sons Christopher, Stephen, and Constantine co-emperors in order to diminish Constantine VII's role.

At one point during this period, there were five co-Augusti sharing the throne (which likely had to be considerably widened on state occasions). @Valentinian’s web site has a clear and concise explanation of the plurality and overlapping of rulers during this time.

Although Romanos’ rise to rule was unscrupulous, he served the empire wisely for over 20 years. His strong and competent hand restrained an aggressive Bulgarian threat and fostered the growth of a dynamic foreign policy that was to culminate in the eventual apogee of the state under the later Basil II.

On Dec. 20, 944, Romanos I was dethroned by his sons Stephen and Constantine, fearful that their father was starting to look more favorably on Constantine VII. They sent Romanos to a monastery, only to be overthrown in their turn by popular support for the Porphyrogennetos a little over a month later.

Mint of all is Constantinople

Miliaresion, 921-931. 2.57 gr. 24.8 mm. 11 hr. Sear 1754; DO 18; BNP 1-3; BM 41; R. 1894. The order of precedence here is Romanos, his favorite son Christopher, and lastly Constantine VII

Miliaresion, 931-944. 2.87 gr. 23.5 mm. 1 hr. Sear 1755; DO 20; BNP 4-9; BM 42; R, 1895-96. On the reverse, a medallion portrait of Romanos is in the center of the cross. The order of precedence here is Romanos, Constantine VII, Stephanos, and Constantine Lekapenos

Pattern Solidus, 943. 3.23 gr. 20.5 mm. 5 hr. Sear 1742A; DO 9; Füeg 9. m. 3 B. On the reverse, busts of Romanos I and Constantine VII. While DO gives this pattern piece to 931, Füeg (Corpus of the Nomismata from Anastasius II to John I in Constantinople, 713-976) pushes the dating to 943 based on seals of the reign, the smaller size of the letters, and the fact that the emperors’ names are linked by the Greek cε (και) instead of the Latin “εt” of earlier issues.
The numismatic evidence for the reign is noteworthy for the number of pattern coins struck in silver or copper for types that were not officially adopted. The DO catalog lists three types of pattern solidi, of which this is one. There is also the famous pattern miliaresion of Romanos I =Sear 1756. Although noted in DOC as (19), a specimen was formerly lacking there, but due to a friend’s generosity, the collection now has an example.

Follis, 931-944. 6.62 gr. 27.1 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1760; DO 25b; BNP 31-54; BM 19-24. Bust of Romanos I.

S1754-1760.jpg.b28b7b514538ffc8395be8f1942d707d.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

Romanus I, 920-944.

Romanus struck folles in his own name in the middle of the reign of Constantine VII. The story is on my page about Constantine VII (which I mentioned last time).

image.jpeg.fa3cef8da0db6dfe46bb33b1ffbdd8ba.jpeg

Romanus I, 920-944, during the reign of Constantine VII (913-959), but with no mention of Constantine VII. Struck 931-944.
27 mm. 6.95 grams.

Obverse legend:  + RWMAҺ BASILEVS RωM' 
"Romanus, emperor of the Romans"
The face is not as long as the face of Constantine VII. 
The legends--both obverse and reverse--are of Romanus.

Reverse:  +RWMA/Һ' EN ΘEω bA/SILEVS Rω/MAIωҺ 
"Romanus, in God (by the grace) of God, ruler of the Romans"

Sear 1760.
DOC Constantine VII 25, "931-944" ("Class 4")

• Like 13

Minted at Constantinople during the reign of Constantine VII, Porphyrogenitus and Romanus I, Lecapenus between 20 May 921 - August 931. Obv. +IhS XPS REX REcnAntI4M*.: Christ enthroned facing, wearing nimbus cr., pallium and colobium, and raising r. hand in benediction; in l. hand, book of Gospels. Rev. ROmAn’ET XPISTOFO’ A4cc b’.: Facing busts of Romanus I, with short beard (on l.) and Christopher, beardless (on r.), both crowned, holding between them long patriarchal cross; Romanus wears loros, whilst his son is clad in chlamys. BCVS #1745. CBE #6 pg. 201.

image.png.05b10678cd15d2d5a87e7a5a0d8ce72a.pngimage.png.034d1a1c7b98483473da875f9d46f2a2.png

• Like 8
  • Cookie 1

Constantine VII, Porphyrogennetos, although the legitimate emperor since 913, had been kept in the shadows for over three decades by the aggrandizing Romanos I and his three sons. It was only on the popular reaction against the two surviving Lekapenoi following their deposition of their father in Dec. 944 / January 945, that the long suffering Augustus came into his own. Soon after this he created his son Romanos (II) co-Augustus and the two reigned together until Constantine’s death in 959.

An ineffectual ruler himself, he was fortunate to rely on the services of the outstanding generals Nikephoros Phokas and John Tzimiskes, the former of whom would function as regent for his 2 sons and shortly thereafter attain the throne himself after Romanos’ death.

Constantine’s talents and interests lay in intellectual and artistic pursuits. He contributed much to the systematization of knowledge and encouraged the compilation of encyclopedic works drawn from earlier sources; he also encouraged historical writing, although he is best remembered today for his works on the empire's administrative system and its foreign relations: De administrando imperio, De thematibus, and De ceremoniis.

In addition to his literary interests, he was also a talented painter, and he keenly studied architecture; he is known to have engaged in carpentry, sculpting,  as well as in gold- and silversmithing.

On his father’s death in 959, Romanos (II)  became sole Augustus; he reigned until his death in 963. Like other Basileis before him, Romanos was satisfied to enjoy the perks of the throne, while relegating its burdens to others, such as his minister Joseph Bringas, as well as to Nikephoros Phokas and John Tzimiskes. The real power behind the throne was his ambitious and ruthless second wife Theophano. He died of a hunting accident in 963. Romanos’ greatest gift to the Empire was his son Basil (II).

Constantinople is the mint of the first three coins; that of the fourth is Cherson

Solidus, 945-59. 4.36 gr. 20 mm. Sear 1751; DO 15; BNP 15-22; BM 60-61; R. 1905. The reverse features Constantine VII and his son Romanos II.

Follis, 945-50. 6.14 gr. 26. 3 mm. 6 hr. Ser 1761; DO 26; BNP 55-64; BM 45-57; R. 1900-1903. Bust of Constantine VII.

Follis, 950-59. 4.60 gr. 26 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1762; DO 27; BNP 65-69; BM 70-76; R. 1907-1909. Busts of Constantine VII and his son Romanos II.

Cast copper, 959-963. 3.44 gr. 21 mm. 6 hr. Sear 1775; DO 3a; BNP 1-4; R. 1891. In lieu of a portrait, a cruciform monogram of Romanos: ΡωΜΑ. Ex Hunt collection, Sotheby’s 6-21-91, lot 227 (part).

S1751-1775.jpg.81169cda2df19bae910205697df193a4.jpg
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

Constantine VII and Romanus II, struck c. 950-959

image.jpeg.5975137920ba6fd85e8a603d2821caa5.jpeg

26-25 mm. 5.02 grams.
COҺST/CE ROMAҺ/EҺXRIST/b ROMEO
Constantine and Romanus in Christ rulers of the Romans
Sear 1762

Quality control was poor at the time and many of these are worn, so most coins of this type do not have facial details. This is the only copper type picturing Romanus II.

• Like 11

Solidus of Constantinople showing Constantine VII (reigned 913-959 AD) wearing the loros, and Romanus II on the left in a chlamys.  Both the position and the garment denote Constantine VII as the senior emperor.  DO 15 and Sear 1751. image.jpeg.91c62d51e28edc96dc023a62c1c0cce8.jpeg

image.jpeg.4c8d67ab720c1cf91615cbdd2e53afe5.jpeg

The other coin is a solidus of Theophilus, previously shown, minted in Sicily. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Cookie 1
  • Heart Eyes 2

I've been away for a while, but had time tonight to go over all the posts I missed. @voulgaroktonou's coins continue to amaze (many WOWs e.g. the Naples Theophilus solidus), along with @Valentinian's (that Theophilus + Constantine!), and @Hrefn's gold. Also impressed by @ewomack's Leo V and Michael II.  Thanks to everyone for keeping the thread going during my absence, and to @sand for the maps and pointer to the "Every Month" video!

I hope you'll forgive me a couple catchup posts. I have all the emperors I missed. Here's Leo V:

image.jpeg.4431affc973eb1d52fd8ae6a60924387.jpeg

And with Constantine, first from Constantinople, then Syracuse:

image.jpeg.502dcdf799878454793ad170de6f5c82.jpeg

image.jpeg.18cf54efeb8b79fa801caab4d7ae530f.jpeg

Michael II, with Theophilus:

image.jpeg.2079b26b2d28dac45019c231db5196cd.jpeg

Theophilus, two full folles followed by a half follis:

image.jpeg.0a4ab6afc848660c214a4b2df12c7235.jpeg

image.jpeg.639584e228409988c9a3d9e2ea6710ad.jpeg

image.jpeg.276b80e5f26158ea00e5ff1cb6368160.jpeg

Next comes Michael III, with his (not so good) buddy Basil:

image.jpeg.34fa853238130a6935dd14d495990e0b.jpeg

My Syracuse coin for him is the rather rare SB 1698, with a lambda rather than latin L in the obverse legend:

image.jpeg.14efffa315e29078a87b2bc283f428b8.jpeg

CNG notes: " “A historic little coin. It is not only the last bronze coin struck for the Byzantine possessions in Sicily, but also the last follis struck anywhere with the denomination mark of M, thus it is the last vestige of the reform instituted by Anastasius I in 498 AD.” (Well... if we discount an alleged example under Basil of doubtful authenticity.)

Basil I with Constantine:

image.jpeg.fbb20e5f54c8385ad70878c90bb503e3.jpeg

and for my Syracuse coin I'll post this debased semissis:

image.jpeg.8757d1b88cec15d6a9f09a30203445e3.jpeg

So much for Byzantine Sicily! No wonder they look so forlorn.  Seems a good place to take a pause.

• Like 10
  • Heart Eyes 2