TRAJAN DENARIUS - Is it genuine? (Recent purchase)

Topcat7

A few years ago I purchased a Trajan / Column denarius that was a 'cast' copy. Having had my fingers burnt, I was gun-shy to get another, but I always wanted an example of that coin.

Recently, I found one that suited me, and that I believe is genuine, and I purchased it. What do you think?

Denarius of Trajan 18mm 2.86g RIC 307 Trajan's Column - Statue of Trajan atop column two eagles at base

IMP TRIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC PM TRP/ COS VI PP SPQR

(seller's photos)

Magical Snap - 2023.05.19 08.08 - 030.jpg

Magical Snap - 2023.05.19 07.55 - 026.jpg

• Like 8

I actually thought of buying this particular coin as an upgrade to my previous one. If this were to be my first column denarius I'd have bought it already. I assume you got this from ebay for a price you thought too good to be true?! Anyway enjoy your purchase.

I obviously think it's genuine and I have bought coins from that seller previously. Though this one has horn silver, you can either leave it or treat it with sodium thiosulfate. 

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 3

It looks pretty good to me...in fact, I'll trade ya:

Trajan-Den.ColumnDec2020(0).jpg.32b6223186e9cd1b97e755bc3c90b0c6.jpg

On the serious side, whenever I'm worried about an ancient, I poke around OCRE and acsearch, etc. looking for a die-match.  In my busted example above, I found a match with one in the British Museum, which made me feel a lot better about it:

Trajan-Den.ColumnDec2020(0BMdiematch).jpg.a990d6fd752ac8a4e61f8f617da3258c.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Marsyas Mike said:

On the serious side, whenever I'm worried about an ancient, I poke around OCRE and acsearch, etc. looking for a die-match.  In my busted example above, I found a match with one in the British Museum, which made me feel a lot better about it:

Trajan-Den.ColumnDec2020(0BMdiematch).jpg.a990d6fd752ac8a4e61f8f617da3258c.jpg

Good tip. Thanks.

• Like 2