You know you're addicted to ancient coins when...

kirispupis

• Benefactor
  1. You know most European cities by their ancient names.
  2. Visitors to your house are given strict orders from your spouse and children to not bring up coins or history.
  3. You visit a medieval city, but find it too modern for your tastes.
  4. You know the average weight and size of a denarius and a drachm, but not of a dime, nickel, or quarter.
  5. You spell 'drachm' without the ending 'a'.
  6. You keep an obol in your wallet, just in case...
  7. The numbers 336 and 323 have special importance to you.
  8. You plan your days based on auction schedules.
  9. When someone says "look! an owl!" your first instinct is to look down.
  10. For relaxation, you read Herodotus, Thukydides, Pausanias, Strabo, or Polybios.
  11. You visit a tourist trap in Greece and remark "Zeus and Poseidon weren't depicted like that..."
  12. You write posts on "you know you're an ancient coin nut if..."
  13. You identify with many of the statements in a "you know you're an ancient coin nut if..." post.
  14. You normalize place names and get upset when the wrong orthography is used.
  15. You've read the entirety of the unabridged version of The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
  16. You correct others when they use Hercules vs Herakles in the wrong context.
  17. You've actually looked whether any ancient coins depict a lioness with a cheese grater.
  18. When you look at modern coins, you just shake your head at the weak strike.
  19. You can name the '12 Caesars' without looking it up.
  20. When you watch a movie about ancient Greece or Rome you remark "hey! I have that guy!"
  21. You've calculated the value of your home in talents. 
  22. You've also calculated it in sestertii.
  23. The last time you were at a zoo reminded you of a Gallienus type you're missing.
  24. You visit a museum filled with Roman sculptures and wonder whether they have anything original.
  25. You show someone a Greek coin but don't understand why they can't read the inscription.

Obligatory coin.

NectaneboII.jpg.4b4a1070688a0a1acd6a10b7e98504ec.jpg

• Like 13
  • Smile 4
  • Yes 1
  • Smile 3
  • Laugh 11
  • Clap 3

You find yourself in handcuffs leaving the museum because you believed what somebody told you about the age old superstition that

"Italians always placed coins under statues for good luck and health."

image.jpeg.e50c94b28ed8a659986f324ba1cdbf64.jpeg

Edited by thenickelguy
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 7
  • Shock 1

1 hour ago, thenickelguy said:

You find yourself in handcuffs leaving the museum because you believed what somebody told you about the age old superstition that

"Italians always placed coins under statues for good luck and health."

image.jpeg.e50c94b28ed8a659986f324ba1cdbf64.jpeg

At the Glyptotek Museum in Copenhagen they have some great ancient statuary but also  have  (or had a few years ago) one which was made to look like  it had fallen over and was all smashed up. I am sure we were far from the first "wits" to think of this but I had one of my boys stand next to it in apparent despair. We got some fairly shocked unsuspecting tourists walking  into the room and seeing it and him. He was even shouted at  by one elderly couple.

IMG-2776.JPG

• Like 8
  • Smile 4
  • Smile 1
  • Laugh 1
  • Clap 1
  • Shock 1

• Benefactor
9 minutes ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

Great post @kirispupis!

I can certainly say that I have fallen victim to a few of those!

I never knew that there was that much of a difference.  At what point would you use each one?

Numismatically, Hercules in a Roman Republican or Imperial context. Herakles in a Greek or Roman Provincial context.

Edited by DonnaML
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1

6 minutes ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

You correct others when they use Hercules vs Herakles in the wrong context.

I never knew that there was that much of a difference.  At what point would you use each one?

Good question. There might even be at least three contexts - Heracles (Greek), Hercules (Roman adaptation) and Herakles (Greek tragedy by Euripides).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Deinomenid said:

At the Glyptotek Museum in Copenhagen they have some great ancient statuary but also  have  (or had a few years ago) one which was made to look like  it had fallen over and was all smashed up. I am sure we were far from the first "wits" to think of this but I had one of my boys stand next to it in apparent despair. We got some fairly shocked unsuspecting tourists walking  into the room and seeing it and him. He was even shouted at  by one elderly couple.

IMG-2776.JPG

This is gold. 

Edited by Pantoffel
  • Like 2

Jokes aside, the hobby of collecting is addictive, giving the endorphins of intense happiness for most but putting some of us at serious risk of substantial financial loss.

While there are stories about remortgaging houses as a sign of commitment from 'serious' collectors, this is more likely than not to be a wrong decision. All collectors should assume, from the onset, the likely financial loss at the time of collection disposition. Even if the sale values are above the purchase values years after the purchase may still mean a loss due to inflation. It is tempting to see collecting as an investment hobby. This would require strict purchase discipline when planning and bidding, a slippery path. 

Sadly, I have met a family affected.

Every time I joy a 'good' purchase below the coin's previous sale, it is also a selfish me celebrating someone else's loss. One day I will be in the same shoes (pretty certainly with my niche collecting pattern). 

Happy collecting.

• Like 4
  • Yes 2

My addiction is quite obvious to many a friend and date. Those who know me have learned never to join me to a museum... we end up spending about the whole day looking at old coins. Not to mention the unsolicited history lessons. 

This is from the Coptic Museum in Cairo out with my date. A hoard of Heraclius coins. Doesn't need to be mentioned that she wasn't as excited as I was to see the Roman eagle standard captured by Muslim forces after taking the fortress at Babylon.  

image.jpeg.f4d8a099341bd99d737b91e2195f6a45.jpeg

• Like 8

You know you are addicted to ancient coins when: when you look at this coin and think: EO(V) SE (4)75 = AD 163/4, as the Romans were advancing on the Parthians during the reigns of Marcus Aurelius and Vologases IV, before the Romans captured Seleukia on Tigris.

image.png.d0e4befdee8389af8fd4993a0b8a9bb8.png

Edited by Sulla80
  • Like 8