Happy Father's Day

Kali

I just googled father's day. There are many different dates around the world but the third Sunday in June is the most common date.

Therefore I wish a happy Father's Day for fathers in more than 100 countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Father's_Day

And here is a proud Marcus Aurelius and his children.

Marcus_Aurelius_R594_0.jpg.c7b630a26c785603f5b75cfc531741f8.jpg

Marcus Aurelius
AR Denar, Rome
Obv.: AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F, bare head right
Rev.: TR POT XV COS III, Pietas standing left, holding child in either arm, with two more children standing at her side.
Ag, 3.42g, 17.1mm
Ref.: RIC III (A.P.) 490

Edited by shanxi
  • Like 9

Father Day? Today is happy Sahara Day here. We now have 36 degrees in the shade. A wind like a hot hairdryer blowing in your face. I'm sitting at home on a Sunday. The flat is dark. You can't go out without being grilled. In the middle of summer and I have to spend Sunday in front of the PC in the "cool" room.

But on the subject. I'd love to. Septimius Severus... the two children should (could) apparently represent Caracalla and Geta on the back.

m0085_rom_silber_denar_lucius_septimius_severus_pertinax.png

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 12

Two dads and three sons -- Valerian I, his son Gallienus, and Gallienus's sons Valerian II and Saloninus:

[IMG]
Valerian I, AD 253-260.
Roman AR antoninianus, 2.69 g, 21.2 mm, 7 h.
Colonia Agrippina (Cologne) mint, AD 259-260.
Obv: VALERIANVS·P·F·AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
Rev: DEO VOLKANO, Vulcan standing left within tetrastyle temple, hammer raised in right hand, tongs downward in left.
Refs: RIC 5 (inaccurately attributed to the Lugdunum mint); Cohen 2 (inaccurately attributed to Valerian II); RSC 50c; Göbl 884d; Hunter IV 56; RCV 9934.

Gallienus LIBERO P CONS AVG tiger antoninianus.jpg
Gallienus, 253-268 AD.
Roman Æ Antoninianus, 2.63 g, 20.8 mm, 5 h.
Rome Mint, 10th emission, 267-268 AD.
Obv: GALLIENVS AVG, radiate head right.
Rev: LIBERO P CONS AVG, tiger walking left, B in exergue.
Refs: RIC 230K; Göbl 713b; Cohen 586; RCV 10281; Cunetio 1341; Hunter 112.

[IMG]
Valerian II, Caesar AD 256-258.
Roman billon antoninianus, 3.14 g, 22.5 mm, 5 h.
Cologne, AD 257-258.
Obv: VALERIANVS CAES, radiate and draped bust, right.
Rev: IOVI CRESCENTI, infant Jupiter seated facing on goat standing right, his right hand raised.
Refs: RIC 3; Göbl 907e; Cohen 26; RCV 10731; Hunter 9.

[IMG]
Saloninus, Caesar AD 258-260.
Roman billon antoninianus, 2.39 g, 22.2 mm, 12 h.
Cologne, AD 258-260.
Obv: SALON VALERIANVS CAES, radiate and draped bust, right.
Rev: PIETAS AVG, lituus, jug, simpulum and sprinkler.
Refs: RIC 9; Göbl 914e; Cohen 41; RCV 10767; Cunetio 744; Hunter 8.

• Like 12

• Benefactor

Nice idea for a thread, Kali ... oh, and great Dad-coins, gang

Ummm, I don't have any coins from my dear ol' departed father ... but I do have his D.F.C. Air Force medal and his stamp collection (sure, they may not be "ancient", but they are pretty cool and very precious to this guy!)

=> Happy Father's Day 

stamps and medals 1.jpg

stamps and medal.jpg

stamps and medals 2.jpg

Edited by Steve
  • Like 15
  • Heart Eyes 2

Happy fathers Day to you dads and grandpops. Be grateful for your kids. Mine has a hair up her butt for the past couple years and I won't get a call again this year. I don't let it ruin all 365 days but it does irk me a bit on Fathers Day.

It's her choice. I'm too old to waste my time on feeling bad and dwelling on what things should be like. I'm going out to grill a couple filet mignon on the bar B. It's a beautiful day.

6 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Alas I never met my father as apparently he disappeared when I was 3 months old☹️....

Here's to you dad wherever you are?

PHILIP.jpg.f2da5c1889f2f7fd0453443c5908490b.jpgnormal_1-7NdPwNC39MbbGa5Ht2Dt8X3nJsT4G6_(1).jpg.da9bcd6142bde420ae781f3b1e40d129.jpg

On a happier note "my" son is a wonderful young man who buys me coins.🥰

mm8F4MbtRi2DkHT6Gc5A3zyCKd7C9L.jpg.57ac213f9cc855d3a44e13b46cffa4f8.jpg

Father's Day is a sad day for me too 😢, my father died on Father's Day, 37 years ago.

• Cry 3

Oh No, I just reposted this, ...but whatever.

image.jpeg.2378d0e88bad35df3b8e369aee977667.jpeg

image.jpeg.d00d844b25f05627c60b4bf7ac4e6c89.jpeg

Konrad II, Salian emperor, with Heinrich III as 'King of the Romans' /heir designate, 1028-1039. Denar of Speyer.  ...With the usual convergence of ambitious engraving and atrocious strikes, evoking the later pennies of Henry I of England (who married a Salian, known as the Empress Maud).

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 6
  • Smile 1

Spent last night at a baseball game with FFIVN and his sister. Left Mrs. Frog home with the 2 youngest tadpoles. Today, we went on a pirate scavenger hunt with everyone.

I don't have any coins with 3 boys and a girl so here is just a father and son:
317617604_HeracliusandHeracliusConstantineHexagramConstantinople.png.92a9a0175a1e53d95a61ed842fc1768e.png

Heraclius

AR Hexagram

615-638 AD

Constantinople

Obverse: dd NN hERACLIUS Et hERA CONSt, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, seated facing on double-throne, each holding cross on globe in right hand, small cross above 

Reverse: dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS, Cross-potent on globe above three steps (no field marks)

• Like 6

Heraclius (with Heraclius Constantine), Byzantine Empire
AR hexagram
Obv: dd NN hERACLIUS Et hERA CONSt, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, seated facing on double-throne, each holding cross on globe in right hand, small cross above
Rev: dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS, Cross-potent on globe above three steps; monogram to left, I in left field
Date: 615-638 AD
Mint: Constantinople
Ref: SB 801
22 mm wide, 6 gr.

[IMG]

Constans II with Constantine IV, Byzantine Empire
AR hexagram
Obv: D N CONSTANTINUS C CONSTANS, crowned and draped busts of Constans with long beard on the left, and Constantine IV, beardless on the right, cross between theirhead
Rev: dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS, cross-potent on globe above three steps; B in right field
Date: 641-668 AD
Ref: SB 996
22 mm wide, 6.2 gr.

constansiivk.jpg

Edited by ValiantKnight
  • Like 4
  • Heart Eyes 1

41 minutes ago, ValiantKnight said:

Heraclius (with Heraclius Constantine), Byzantine Empire
AR hexagram
Obv: dd NN hERACLIUS Et hERA CONSt, Heraclius on left and Heraclius Constantine on right, seated facing on double-throne, each holding cross on globe in right hand, small cross above
Rev: dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS, Cross-potent on globe above three steps; monogram to left, I in left field
Date: 615-638 AD
Ref: SB 801
22 mm wide, 6 gr.

[IMG]

Constans II with Constantine IV, Byzantine Empire
AR hexagram
Obv: D N CONSTANTINUS C CONSTANS, crowned and draped busts of Constans with long beard on the left, and Constantine IV, beardless on the right, cross between theirhead
Rev: dEUS AdIUtA ROmANIS, cross-potent on globe above three steps; B in right field
Date: 641-668 AD
Ref: SB 996
22 mm wide, 6.2 gr.

constansiivk.jpg

I would say you "one upped" me but that would be an understatement. 
Those are both amazing!!!

• Like 1