Eddie, from "Stranger Things" to play Caracalla and blue eyed Irishman to play Geta in Gladiator sequel

Ryro

Hollywood gets the casting all "white":

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/joseph-quinn-connie-nielsen-gladiator-2-1235598122/

Screenshot_20230502_062647_Twitter.jpg.335a2b75af7816357f6b7c5de5f18bcf.jpg

(Caracalla and Geta? Methinks not)

2554915_1644203802.l-removebg-preview.png.fe7ce4bc42088d9ec19e4682123507f8.png

Caracalla 198-217. Denarius (Silver, 19 mm, 3.00 g, 12 h), Rome, 217. ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM Laureate head of Caracalla to right. Rev. P M TR P XX COS IIII P P Jupiter standing front, head to left, holding thunderbolt in his right hand and long scepter in his left. BMC 180. Cohen 373. RIC 285a

share2266665616744908879.png.3fbff14697b53aab2a8aed79d25c1751.png

GETA CAES Pont/Felicitas- PVBLICA Felicitas stands N.L. Ric 9a, BMC 220-221, c. 38a, Hill 654.

I'm not saying that they have to get lybians to play the part, but these dudes are whiter than my gym sneakers. 

Somewhat ironically, Denzel Washington has signed on, and they are being very hush, hush as to whom he'll be portraying. I was wondering if he'd be playing Septimius Severus... but looking at the two sons of Septy, that no longer appears to be a possibility. 

Lucius-Septimius-Bassianus-Caracalla.jpg.af9d3c33434a680748383652ffa7c49a.jpg(the actual look on Caracala's face when told who would be playing him)

stranger-things-eddie-munson.gif.3905e4344021def69a81d0d27be50d13.gif

Edited by Ryro
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

• Ryro changed the title to Eddie, from "Stranger Things" to play Caracalla and blue eyed Irishman to play Geta in Gladiator sequel

That's a bit silly. I would prefer if they reflected Caracalla's actual ethnicity somehow, I think it is a very important part of the Severan dynasty's story. Irrespective of the incorrect ethnicity, he doesn't look remotely angry enough anyway. Furthermore, I don't know how easily they will recreate Caracalla's iconic ringlet hairstyle if the actor doesn't possess it naturally. However as I have stated previously regarding the other controversy, as long as they don't go bandying around incorrect ethnicities as historical fact, I don't mind too much.

I think Denzel would make a good Septimius, he's got the gravitas for it. I think that's who he'll play, or possibly Macrinus, who was supposedly of Berber origin.

Macrinus (Facial Reconstruction) (Illustration) - World History Encyclopedia

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 7
  • Cry 1

Since Maximus dies at the end of “Gladiator,” the sequel is focused Lucilla’s son Lucius, played by Academy Award nominee Mescal.

Oh goodness, they aren't even pretending its historical. 😂

Lucius Verus' son (who doesn't die young in this universe) is going to be the one who assasinates Caracalla while he's taking a piss isn't he? He's going to go a big spiel about how he wont allow another Commodus ruin the Empire and then he's going to stick the knife in Caracalla before going down heroically in a hail of arrows while a moribund instrumental score plays in the background.

Edited by Steppenfool

43 minutes ago, Steppenfool said:

Apparently Pedro Pascal is going to be in it, I think he is rugged enough to transform into Caracalla while still being Hollywood attractive. Or maybe he's our Septimius Severus?

Why The Last of Us creators changed Pedro Pascal's Joel from the games -  Polygon

Caracalla.jpg.864f26107bddfcbb172f762d21899096.jpg

Antioch-Syria. Caracalla, AD 198-217. Billon Tetradrachm.

Edited by Al Kowsky
Added info
  • Like 4

These racial threads are becoming wearisome. That said, Septimius Severus was of Phoenician (Punic) and Italian ancestry. He probably looked very much like everyone else in the Mediterranean basin.

On a lighter note, my prediction is that all scenes with Geta will be edited out at the last minute in an attempt to erase his memory entirely.

Edited by DLTcoins
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 4
  • Confused 1

• Benefactor

So, in our first episode we had Lucilla as the mother of Lucius Verus, when in real life he was her husband.

Why do I not have high hopes for any historical accuracy (for example: Lucilla was dead by the time of Caracalla's reign) in the sequel?

• Like 1

When the ancient sources referred to someone as 'Syrian' or 'African' it was a geographical description not a racial one. Ancient Syria was colonised by the Greeks after Alexander the Great's conquests, so the casting may not be far off the mark.

We shouldn't let our modern constructs of racial identity intrude on the historical past ... especially a past which had no such parameters. 

Edited by David Atherton
punctuation
  • Like 4

I don't care who acts in this film, but I'm just glad they make movies on the lesser known dynasties like the Severans, as the Julians were already beaten to death. I hope next they make Aurelian's adventures or Julian's reconquest of the West.  

Edited by JayAg47
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DLTcoins said:

These racial threads are becoming wearisome. That said, Septimius Severus was of Phoenician (Punic) and Italian ancestry. He probably looked very much like everyone else in the Mediterranean basin.

On a lighter note, my prediction is that all scenes with Geta will be edited out at the last minute in an attempt to erase his memory entirely.

The first film was too black, the second too white, will a third be just right? 

• Like 3

• Benefactor
3 hours ago, David Atherton said:

The first film was too black, the second too white, will a third be just right? 

The third film will feature Lucius Verus joining forces with his estranged brother Aurelian (played by Jonathan Majors). They'll need to work out their differences in order to defend the empire from the Golden Horde (Kublai Khan played by Seth Rogen). Kleopatra VII (played by Awkwafina) and Helen (played by Jessica Chastain) will serve as generals/love interests.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 4