What is this blue deposit? - Commodus as Hercules cleaning adventure

Steppenfool

I bought a budget Commodus lionskin head-dress from eBay and took a gamble on some unclear pictures. My low budget phone hasn't captured the detail much better to be fair, but there's a sort of dark blue/grey substance under Commodus' ear and to the right of his forehead. And also amongst the HER/ROM and club of the reverse. Maybe it is toning of some sort? There's some horn silver on the coin as well but I think this might be something different?

Weight is 2.1g which I figure is normal for this often poor quality issue accompanied with some degradation.

Screenshot2023-05-02at13_51_51.png.641d789a6eaac4ee21d724e78fdcc8d8.png

Screenshot2023-05-02at13_51_57.png.40a67d6173db6b0b89c32769a1971f6d.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 3

So I took another set of pictures which really highlights what I'm talking about (and makes the coin look horrific too) 😂 The stuff looks sort of like blue-tac in texture and I reckon it might be able to be picked off?

Screenshot2023-05-02at14_00_00.png.ea117e4d2ddc0a997455d91d0e1159a8.png

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 14.03.16.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Steppenfool said:

And finally some pictures that reflect its appearance in hand: I really like it, it has a lot of character and the headdress is very clear for a budget example 😀

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 13.59.34.png

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 13.59.46.png

Not bad at all! However, i would be very cautious dealing with e bay sellers. Then again a cheap experiment never hurt.

• Like 1

A gentle wooden toothpick to the hard black central deposits and some more cotton buds later. Photos in the same conditions as reply 2 and then the same conditions as the opening post. I think this as far as I will take the cleaning. The rest of the deposits/toning are quite nice and don't detract much from the coin in my opinion. I don't plan on using any chemical treatments as the tone has a nice depth to it in hand. I notice that some of the dirt actually made it look more striking in previous pictures, but it is much nicer in hand now.

Screenshot2023-05-02at15_24_03.png.362e5dc492950ffd93cc69ff56a65724.png

Screenshot2023-05-02at15_24_09.png.31ea6fc1212ae39ef5bee79cd8169be3.pngScreenshot2023-05-02at15_24_20.png.f99734b705ebedd4a1b2ef8c7bbd2380.pngScreenshot2023-05-02at15_24_15.png.2d2211c87dde4762b0a52b69bd4067c6.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 6

One final shot of how it now appears iliterally in (an edited out) hand! Very pleased! I do think the dirt was nicely masking some of the crummy silver undeneath though, especially in the obverse fields. Maybe should have strategically left some in place to give the portrait more pop? Maybe some true toning will occur over time and improve the look of the poor silver.

Screenshot2023-05-02at15_40_01.png.29b6a6be2869431089e7bd39bb98db59.png

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 5

• Steppenfool changed the title to What is this blue deposit? - Commodus as Hercules cleaning adventure

I'm clueless about all things cleaning-related.  (As in, even though I really wish I wasn't.)  But it needs saying, never having seen an example of this, it's the kind of crazily iconic issue of Commodus that someone like me, who likes to leave Roman to collectors who know what they're doing --present company emphatically included-- would want one just for the visual rhetoric.  I'm still pinching myself that it isn't a provincial issue.  And yes, your example is steadily improving, between both the cleaning and the photography.  I have to admire your astuteness --and, sure, your eye to the calculated risk-- in snapping this one up.  Thank you, the lion skin is brilliant.  ...Did Alexander III issue AE minors that featured both the Hercules (/lion skin), and the club on the reverse?  If not, he Should have!

• Like 2

• Benefactor
13 hours ago, JeandAcre said:

I'm clueless about all things cleaning-related.  (As in, even though I really wish I wasn't.)  But it needs saying, never having seen an example of this, it's the kind of crazily iconic issue of Commodus that someone like me, who likes to leave Roman to collectors who know what they're doing --present company emphatically included-- would want one just for the visual rhetoric.  I'm still pinching myself that it isn't a provincial issue.  And yes, your example is steadily improving, between both the cleaning and the photography.  I have to admire your astuteness --and, sure, your eye to the calculated risk-- in snapping this one up.  Thank you, the lion skin is brilliant.  ...Did Alexander III issue AE minors that featured both the Hercules (/lion skin), and the club on the reverse?  If not, he Should have!

Yes, Alex III did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was the pics I was working with when purchasing... Not easy. Had to knock a significant amount off the sellers asking price via the offer function due to how uncertain I was. The seller was nice enough to take other pics when I asked they were still in the plastic holder so can only be so good.

Screenshot_20230503-191723.jpg

• Like 3