Posts that don't deserve their own thread, Thread.

Steppenfool

6 hours ago, Hughie Dwyer said:

I noticed that it says that a coin with the legend 'D N THEODO-SIVS P F AVG' depicts a bust of Valentinian II.

It is just a mistake. I can testify that it is very hard to make a resource with very many entries all without any mistakes. Can you figure out how to report it to them?  I was always grateful when someone took the time to point out one of my mistakes. On-line resources are easy to fix. 

On 6/22/2023 at 1:22 PM, Curtisimo said:

Waiting years to mark a coin off my want list is pretty much the standard for me.

Me too. I make want lists on paper and date them. I have Roman imperial types I could afford on want lists from the 1990s but have not managed to buy. If I made a new want list today, there would be many additional types I want, but those older wants would still be on the list and I still look for them.

Edited by Valentinian
typo fixed
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Valentinian said:

It is just a mistake. I can testify that it is very hard to make a resource with very many entries all without any mistakes. Can you figure out how to report it to them?  I was always grateful when someone took the time to point out one of my mistakes. On-line resources are easy to fix.

Thank you for your confirmation. I will certainly try to report this mistake to them. I am always grateful to those who take the time to compile such a detailed resource for my benefit.

HD 😀

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, seth77 said:

Is this thread like for coins not worthy of their own thread but kinda ok or such posts should be relegated to another specific thread?

It seems like this is more of a conversing about whatever thread. 

@CPK's excellent thread is for coins that you want to share but not write up:

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 4:03 AM, Hughie Dwyer said:

That's great advice, thank you.

As a caveat, this comes mostly from medieval history, so consider the source.

Primary sources (well, the narrative kinds, in dramatic contrast to legal documents, where little details such as inheritance were directly at stake) contradict eachother as often as they don't.  I can't believe that the element of bias, maybe only more flagrant in medieval chronicles than in their Roman equivalents, is still pretty ubiquitous.

Which is when I really need the most responsible, academic secondary sources I can get my hands on.  Evaluating those is a necessary skill for the layman, even as the evaluation of primary sourcs (and their accumulation, in as many related but distinct media as possible) is what distinguishes the more reliable secondary ones.  

...But, yeah, whether or not it's an art, history will always be less than a science.  Informed speculation will always be integral to the process.  ...Usually In the absence of anything as easy as 'testable hypotheses.'  Archeological confirmation is likely the nearest equivalent, but in context, that's effectively the luck of the draw.

Edited by JeandAcre

On 4/29/2023 at 11:09 AM, Deinomenid said:

Here's one that doesn't deserve its own thread.  I wish auction houses would skip auction 30 if they insist on  using Roman numerals. I've been trying to  find some  background on a strange  Rindge coin  I  have that was sold at Malter XXX

I can't tell you the stuff I have to wade through that's - let's say - not coin-related. As I  live near a town  called Malta it's even worse.

I'm only nine months late noticing this, but I've got both Rindge catalogs (XXIX and XXX) & would be happy to check or send a scan if you still need it

• 3 months later...