Homepage view

TheTrachyEnjoyer

• Benefactor

I admit that I find the separation a bit confusing. Sometimes, there might be threads that encompass both, as with particular denominations like the tetradrachm. And, after all, Roman Provincial coins usually have Greek legends (except for "colonies"), and were once commonly known as "Greek Imperials." So there's certainly an overlap.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, AncientJoe said:

It's a valid point. Many of us are generalists: maybe it would be better to just have a single forum and not separate content by Greece/Rome/etc. It may result in fewer eyes on each post in the way it's presently designed. Any thoughts, @Restitutor?

26 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

I admit that I find the separation a bit confusing. Sometimes, there might be threads that encompass both, as with particular denominations like the tetradrachm. And, after all, Roman Provincial coins usually have Greek legends (except for "colonies"), and were once commonly known as "Greek Imperials." So there's certainly an overlap.

I think there is a lot that can be done with the “stream” option. I have mine set to show me all the threads with a new post... just like CT. You can also filter by certain sections (Greek, Non-western etc.). 

Where to find the “stream” button (I think it is called that)

DB92C808-614F-4357-9FA1-13599A4DB543.thumb.jpeg.ef6b847be0453e44fe8bcdde2906f789.jpeg

Set it by “Topics” (which I think = thread in CT speak) and narrow by forum.

5B71C137-1BF4-4D7B-AC2D-1A3D935375AD.thumb.png.cf43b04a35a043d63a4172f835c1da51.png

Then click “Stream Options” to name and save your choices to default.

C75C4C97-4B7F-4C70-9025-86B7450CCC34.thumb.png.38996817e1b7d375af2b359ab9b99b06.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

It's a valid point. Many of us are generalists: maybe it would be better to just have a single forum and not separate content by Greece/Rome/etc. It may result in fewer eyes on each post in the way it's presently designed. Any thoughts, @Restitutor?

Exactly my thoughts. I like having all types in one feed because I might see an interesting write up outside of my purview! As it stands, I think we will see less interactions with separate topics than one large forum. A good alternative in my opinion is to have everything in one category but allow a filter by types. The default but would be to see everything but if some reason you just wanted to see roman or avoid greek you could do so.

Is @Restitutor the owner? Just some considerations 🙂. Thanks for putting this all together btw

1 hour ago, Curtisimo said:

I think there is a lot that can be done with the “stream” option. I have mine set to show me all the threads with a new post... just like CT. You can also filter by certain sections (Greek, Non-western etc.). 

Where to find the “stream” button (I think it is called that)

DB92C808-614F-4357-9FA1-13599A4DB543.thumb.jpeg.ef6b847be0453e44fe8bcdde2906f789.jpeg

Set it by “Topics” (which I think = thread in CT speak) and narrow by forum.

5B71C137-1BF4-4D7B-AC2D-1A3D935375AD.thumb.png.cf43b04a35a043d63a4172f835c1da51.png

Then click “Stream Options” to name and save your choices to default.

C75C4C97-4B7F-4C70-9025-86B7450CCC34.thumb.png.38996817e1b7d375af2b359ab9b99b06.png

@Curtisimo ...

giphy-27.gif.7c173cc016d483fc07bc8c3f415c6fff.gif

• Like 2

• Benefactor
13 minutes ago, TheTrachyEnjoyer said:

Exactly my thoughts. I like having all types in one feed because I might see an interesting write up outside of my purview! As it stands, I think we will see less interactions with separate topics than one large forum. A good alternative in my opinion is to have everything in one category but allow a filter by types. The default but would be to see everything but if some reason you just wanted to see roman or avoid greek you could do so.

Is @Restitutor the owner? Just some considerations 🙂. Thanks for putting this all together btw

Another way to accomplish the same thing might be to keep the categories as they are, separate, but add an aggregator option that would combine all the threads into a single "mega-category."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Restitutor said:

Homepage updated  - please let me know if this is what y'all had in mind! 

Yeah that looks pretty good! Nice job.  Any thoughts about the long term edit-ability for posts? That ability would be sweeeeeet! I hated that editing on CT was timed out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UkrainiiVityaz said:

I am getting the hang of the new forum, but still think a domain name would be a good idea.

Voting is still open for the domain name if you would like to participate, in the 'Announcements' sub-forum.