Interesting thread on reddit about Roma Numismatics and the apparent arrest of Richard Beale

Kaleun96

An interesting data point for anyone buying from Roma ... djmacdo on the FORVM board has just posted about having received an inexpensive bronze coin from Roma that had spent weeks in customs and came with a note that it had been opened and inspected by Homeland Security (whose jurisdiction would seem only marginally more applicable than, say, the US Space Force).

I guess given Roma/Beale's false labeling of the Eid Mar when it was sent to NGC, it's perhaps reasonable to not believe what's written on the customs declaration, but I wonder was this just random, or for time being are all Roma shipments liable to be randomly inspected ?

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 2

• Benefactor
41 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

An interesting data point for anyone buying from Roma ... djmacdo on the FORVM board has just posted about having received an inexpensive bronze coin from Roma that had spent weeks in customs and came with a note that it had been opened and inspected by Homeland Security (whose jurisdiction would seem only marginally more applicable than, say, the US Space Force).

FWIW I won bronzes at Roma's last two auctions and received them without issues. I didn't participate in today's auction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heliodromus said:

... spent weeks in customs and came with a note that it had been opened and inspected by Homeland Security (whose jurisdiction would seem only marginally more applicable than, say, the US Space Force).

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is a division of the Department of Homeland Security.

• Like 2

• Benefactor

US Customs also conducts random inspections of overseas packages.  Just how random these inspections are is an open question in my view.  I well imagine that a Roma shipment might be selected, though I don't know if that is the cause for delay.  Sometimes Customs is just plain slow, due to staffing issues and/or package volume.

I had the unfortunate "privilege" of having a shipment selected for inspection.  That shipment was detained for three months until I was able to resolve the situation by submitting forms that seemed to satisfy their questions.

• Like 3

• Benefactor
4 hours ago, Ocatarinetabellatchitchix said:

The felony charges were directed at Beale and not Roma Numismatics, weren’t they ? If so, the authorities will have no reason to specifically check that company.

Although it's well known that Beale owns Roma, or is at least owns a substantial majority of the company. Whether or not the corporate formalities are observed.

Another collector pointed out to me that Italo Vecchi has now pled guilty to his charges as well, including an additional charge not previously added.

Next court date is September 2024. @DonnaML would you have any insight on why there might be such a delay? If sentencing is next in the process, wouldn't it a few weeks or months after the plea?

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcrim_attorney/Detail?which=charge&docketNumber=yAJhKmF0uBD8qJPRQIRTxcvZUEHiFZqdEfj7x2TUR/s=&countyId=K4i18rFVPQh5HTQ/kUoO3Q==&docketId=qdaaOGbUqlpA18P9SxnwHQ==&docketDseq=T/O1YN_PLUS_BG65HkOeqEnpAkw==&defendantName=Vecchi,+Italo&court=New+York+Supreme+Criminal+Court&courtType=U&recordType=U&recordNum=

image.png.3a673e3144d02dcc6e6501ae393bd3e1.png

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1

• Benefactor

A year from now does seem like a very long time, and I have no explanation. Please remember that I never practiced criminal law, so I have no relevant experience to draw upon.

As I recall, Richard Beale's next appearance is scheduled for March 2024, which seems more reasonable.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 1:33 PM, Heliodromus said:

djmacdo on the FORVM board has just posted about having received an inexpensive bronze coin from Roma that had spent weeks in customs and came with a note that it had been opened and inspected by Homeland Security (whose jurisdiction would seem only marginally more applicable than, say, the US Space Force).

This does happen occasionally. Whether or not more of Roma's packages have this happen than any other dealer's is hard to say but I've had coins show up inspected and taped back up as well, not from Roma

• Like 2