Any experiences with eBay seller jerusalemhadaya2012 ?

Heliodromus

• 4 weeks later...
  • Benefactor

Update:

Well, now this seller has garnered one negative feedback due to very extended shipping time issues for some items sold.  This will continue, I suspect. 

The problem, as I mentioned earlier, is that feedback can be given on eBay within a limited time frame, based on date of sale (60 days, as I recall).  If the estimated delivery is beyond that period, feedback is not possible.  So, as with this seller, if estimated delivery is early May for an items sold in December, waiting patiently will mean foregoing feedback.

That AFS tracking, for me, seems to be stuck at February 2nd, when the tracking number was issued.  I will give the process more time, but eventually I will seek refunds.

Summary of my communication with this seller about a coin I paid for several months ago:

1) Thank you for payment, I will send it in few days.

2) (after two weeks) I am expecting to receive it from another country (!), in just two weeks.

3) (after several weeks) Another dealer got it (!) but I bought it back (!), will send next week.

4) (few more weeks) It got lost on the way to be shipped.

I think average kindergartener can come with better excuses. 

• Like 1
  • Shock 1

I just received an unsolicited update from the seller that "People started receiving their orders", although the "tracking" information for my coin still hasn't progressed past the initial "Tracking provided". In my case the coin was paid for on Jan 8th and marked Shipped on Feb 1st. The seller's most recent feedback is for a coin sold on Feb 13th, which I suppose may have been part of the same AFS bulk shipment.

I'm curious about anyone who has purchased from this seller before, and had coins take this slow AFS/bulk shipping route, do you recall if the tracking information ever updated before the coin turned up?

• Like 2

• Benefactor

I have an AFS tracking number, stuck on "number created" since February 2nd.  I've been in contact with the seller many times for clarification.  I also tried contacting AFS, without success.  I don't know if AFS is managing shipments to individual buyers, or it a large bulk shipment is being sent to Germany for further processing.  This business has been quite opaque and drawn out.  One order from November 28, 2022 has not been delivered.  

This whole experience has been quite disappointing for me.  In the past the seller has shipped in a fairly timely way from Israel, but now some lots are shipped by AFS or some other way, creating long delays.  Now I have no problem waiting, as long as I remain informed on the status of a shipment.  But this whole affair is something of a black hole, though I still expect that all items will eventually arrive, perhaps at the other end of the black hole?

• Like 2

Yes, I also remain vaguely optimistic that the coin will eventually arrive, assuming that the lack of tracking update doesn't really mean anything. Given the seller's "People started receiving their orders" message, I'm assuming that means my coin was in same shipping batch as others, and so *ought* to be in-transit if everything is well (despite the lack of tracking update).

Edited by Heliodromus
  • Like 2

As previously mentioned, I've purchased quite a few coins from this seller.  All my shipments came through Israel Post and arrived rather quickly.  I've been very happy.  There is a coin I was considering but after following this thread, I sent the seller a message through ebay.  I asked where the coins are shipped from, Israel or Europe.   He confirmed Europe and that it would "truly take time to deliver."  I wonder if this is a way to get around the export permit?

I do see some listings that sold beginning of February have already received items and feedback left.  Hopefully this is a temporary glitch and you get your coins soon.

Edited by Jay GT4
  • Like 2

Well, I've finally given up on this coin.

Tracking number was provided on Feb 1st (a full month after I paid), and now more than a month later it still hasn't transitioned from "tracking number provided" to "in-transit". I pointed this out to the seller best part of week ago and he said he'd investigate and get back to me, but never did. I've now asked for a refund ... let's see how this works out!

• Cry 2

• Benefactor

Having been an exec in the logistics industry many years ago in my first position out of college my opinion is that the usage of an obscure freight forwarder is an attempt to skirt regulations and customs procedures. Also, the process of holding up orders until a certain critical mass of orders is reached, then shipping in bulk is very strange. DHL used to be involved in "re-mail" which basically was consolidation of printed material shipments into large bags which were then routed to destination countries and the last leg of the mailed items delivery was completed by the local post office. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

Well, I've finally given up on this coin.

Tracking number was provided on Feb 1st (a full month after I paid), and now more than a month later it still hasn't transitioned from "tracking number provided" to "in-transit". I pointed this out to the seller best part of week ago and he said he'd investigate and get back to me, but never did. I've now asked for a refund ... let's see how this works out!

I could never buy from a seller like this. You didn't even get a tracking number until a month after you paid? That's not even close to acceptable. If you're selling a coin, that should mean you have it on hand and ready to ship upon payment from the buyer. That means no more than a day or two, not a month later.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Numisnewbie said:

I could never buy from a seller like this. You didn't even get a tracking number until a month after you paid?

No ... after a couple of weeks of non-shipment I asked for an update and seller claimed coin was in fact in Germany, not Israel as stated, and would only be shipped when he was there personally in a couple of weeks time ...

I agree the AFS/bulk shipping seems suspicious. I guess the extended shipping time estimate should have been a clue. Anyways, I'm one-and-done.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
45 minutes ago, Numisnewbie said:

I could never buy from a seller like this. You didn't even get a tracking number until a month after you paid? That's not even close to acceptable. If you're selling a coin, that should mean you have it on hand and ready to ship upon payment from the buyer. That means no more than a day or two, not a month later.

Of course, if the coin had really been located in Israel and the seller were complying with legal requirements, it would probably be necessary to wait for an export permit to be issued for the coin to be shipped. If this entire scheme of forwarding to Germany before shipment to the customer was, in fact, designed to avoid the need to get an export permit -- as I've suspected from the outset -- it has ended up taking longer than the process of getting a permit would have taken. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DonnaML said:

Of course, if the coin had really been located in Israel and the seller were complying with legal requirements, it would probably be necessary to wait for an export permit to be issued for the coin to be shipped. If this entire scheme of forwarding to Germany before shipment to the customer was, in fact, designed to avoid the need to get an export permit -- as I've suspected from the outset -- it has ended up taking longer than the process of getting a permit would have taken. 

I wouldn't even care to guess what the reality is/'was with this specific coin at this point, although we're all agreed this shipping seems fishy. I have to wonder if my coin was ever really in Germany in the first place, and if it was there due to being en-route via AFS, then why would seller himself need to be present for it to proceed? It seems he lists all coins as being located in Israel, with some (still?) being shipped quickly out of Israel and others going this AFS freight-forwarding route maybe via Germany.

There are multiple parts to AFS - AFS logistics, AFS transport and AFS global (who do describe themselves as a freight-forwarding company). I seem to recall finding a web site for one of these "AFS family" companies that was based out of Turkey/Germany but can't find it now.

• Like 1

• Benefactor
6 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

I wouldn't even care to guess what the reality is/'was with this specific coin at this point, although we're all agreed this shipping seems fishy. I have to wonder if my coin was ever really in Germany in the first place, and if it was there due to being en-route via AFS, then why would seller himself need to be present for it to proceed? It seems he lists all coins as being located in Israel, with some (still?) being shipped quickly out of Israel and others going this AFS freight-forwarding route maybe via Germany.

There are multiple parts to AFS - AFS logistics, AFS transport and AFS global (who do describe themselves as a freight-forwarding company). I seem to recall finding a web site for one of these "AFS family" companies that was based out of Turkey/Germany but can't find it now.

Some of his items sold on eBay ship out of Israel, pretty quickly, while others, many others it seems, take this AFS route, very slow.  I have purchased coins and other items from this seller over the past few years, and shipping has been reliable, all from Israel.  But now communication has become sporadic and unreliable. 

One item, ordered November 28, 2022 has not arrived, along with three purchases from the past couple of months.  I am still giving this process time, but I will seek refunds if this drags along much longer - patience has its limits, of course.

• Like 1

This is jerusalemhadaya2012 from eBay.

I find it very important to clarify the issue of my new sales, and the AFS logistics issue, which is not clear to all, on this thread and others that are wondering, and they are not here.

Many of you know me well and some of you are really friends knowing me for long years, which made me gain over 1500 positive feedbacks, which I believe that I deserve, and wish to keep it that way.

Lately I started to deal with friends who own coins outside of Israel, and offer better prices than I get here, which made me think that I can offer my customers, more at better prices too.

People liked what I offered and started buying, and I took a shipper who chose this AFS forwarding company to UPS, and I provided my customers with their tracking numbers.

Since I only was tracking the orders, I noticed that the orders are not moving, so i complained to my shipper who lost 11 members of his family during the earth quack, who could not reach the company to see what is going on, till this day, that I learned that UPS changed packages fees and freezed my orders till they got the difference.

Now all my orders have a ups traceable numbers and delivery should be this week, and which will be updated for all.

I would like to apologize to you all for any inconvenience I Un deliberately caused.

Edited by antigua1964
  • Like 5

• Benefactor
19 minutes ago, Heliodromus said:

Well, none here... I asked for a refund couple of days ago, and no reply at all so far.

So it remains to be seen whether the explanation, apology, and assurances are genuine, or amount to a lot of double-talk.

On 3/16/2023 at 5:16 PM, Heliodromus said:

I just received the coin today, after what appears to have been overnight UPS shipping! Thank-you jerusalemhadaya2012 !

Following this good news, and the seller's good reputation and explanation for delays, I decided to take the plunge on that Hadrian ADOPTIO from the Eastern Mint. Very excited, I've been after one of those for a while! The coin certainly has a lot of character!

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 6

• Benefactor
8 hours ago, Steppenfool said:

Following this good news, and the seller's good reputation and explanation for delays, I decided to take the plunge on that Hadrian ADOPTIO from the Eastern Mint. Very excited, I've been after one of those for a while! The coin certainly has a lot of character!

Picture 1 of 4

Congratulations! Do you know the RIC number? It looks like it may be a different type from mine, which is attributed to Antioch:

image.jpeg.2e71c7b616a0a054293c00a4b027489f.jpeg

My description:

Hadrian, AR Denarius, AD 117 (Aug-Dec), Antioch Mint. Obv. Laureate and cuirassed bust right with exposed upper part of breastplate visible with balteus strap, IMP CAE DI TRA PAR F DI NER NEP TRA HADRIANO AVG / Rev. Trajan standing right, clasping hands with Hadrian standing left, Trajan holds scroll in upraised left hand, [TRIBVNIC][off flan] POTESTAS; in exergue, ADOPTIO. RIC II.3 2960 at p. 278 (ill. Pl. 49) (frequency “R2”) (2019 ed.); old RIC II 22C (1926 ed.) (leg. corr.); RSC II Hadrian 7a (Antioch); Strack *4 corr. [citing example in Vienna Kunsthistorisches Museum (No. 8668); see RIC II.3 2960 at p. 278 n. 1442, correcting Strack’s erroneous rendition of legend]; BMCRE III Hadrian, p. 243 No. 3 [citing example in Vienna Kunsthistorisches Museum (No. 8668)]. 17x18 mm., 2.64 g. Purchased at St. James’s Auctions, Auction 65, 21 Sep 2022, Lot 1039.*

*This unusual “Eastern” Imperial denarius was issued together with RIC II.3 2959 at the beginning of Hadrian’s reign, when he was the governor of Syria, headquartered in Antioch. See McAlee p. 216 [Richard McAlee, The Coins of Roman Antioch (2007)]:

“When Hadrian succeeded Trajan as emperor in August 117 he was the governor of Syria, so that province and its capital, Antioch, were at the center of the political events at the beginning of Hadrian’s reign. [Discussion of Hadrian’s early Syrian tetradrachms, including the transfer of the provincial mint from Tyre to Antioch before the end of the year 117, omitted.] . . . . Hadrian also struck denarii in Syria, and was the first emperor to do so since Vespasian [who was himself the first emperor to strike Roman imperial aurei and denarii in Syria; see id. p. 152]. (Not coincidentally, Vespasian also came to power while he was a Roman governor in the east.) The earliest type – presumably struck in 117 – has a legend with the honorific titles adopted from Trajan and a reverse showing Trajan and Hadrian standing together and clasping hands, with ADOPTIO in the exergue. The legend and portrait style are similar to those seen on the first issue of tetradrachms with eagle on club ([McAlee] no. 529), attributed here to Tyre.”

• Like 3

On 3/18/2023 at 9:56 PM, DonnaML said:

Congratulations! Do you know the RIC number? It looks like it may be a different type from mine, which is attributed to Antioch:

My description:

Hadrian, AR Denarius, AD 117 (Aug-Dec), Antioch Mint. Obv. Laureate and cuirassed bust right with exposed upper part of breastplate visible with balteus strap, IMP CAE DI TRA PAR F DI NER NEP TRA HADRIANO AVG / Rev. Trajan standing right, clasping hands with Hadrian standing left, Trajan holds scroll in upraised left hand, [TRIBVNIC][off flan] POTESTAS; in exergue, ADOPTIO. RIC II.3 2960 at p. 278 (ill. Pl. 49) (frequency “R2”) (2019 ed.); old RIC II 22C (1926 ed.) (leg. corr.); RSC II Hadrian 7a (Antioch); Strack *4 corr. [citing example in Vienna Kunsthistorisches Museum (No. 8668); see RIC II.3 2960 at p. 278 n. 1442, correcting Strack’s erroneous rendition of legend]; BMCRE III Hadrian, p. 243 No. 3 [citing example in Vienna Kunsthistorisches Museum (No. 8668)]. 17x18 mm., 2.64 g. Purchased at St. James’s Auctions, Auction 65, 21 Sep 2022, Lot 1039.*

*This unusual “Eastern” Imperial denarius was issued together with RIC II.3 2959 at the beginning of Hadrian’s reign, when he was the governor of Syria, headquartered in Antioch. See McAlee p. 216 [Richard McAlee, The Coins of Roman Antioch (2007)]:

“When Hadrian succeeded Trajan as emperor in August 117 he was the governor of Syria, so that province and its capital, Antioch, were at the center of the political events at the beginning of Hadrian’s reign. [Discussion of Hadrian’s early Syrian tetradrachms, including the transfer of the provincial mint from Tyre to Antioch before the end of the year 117, omitted.] . . . . Hadrian also struck denarii in Syria, and was the first emperor to do so since Vespasian [who was himself the first emperor to strike Roman imperial aurei and denarii in Syria; see id. p. 152]. (Not coincidentally, Vespasian also came to power while he was a Roman governor in the east.) The earliest type – presumably struck in 117 – has a legend with the honorific titles adopted from Trajan and a reverse showing Trajan and Hadrian standing together and clasping hands, with ADOPTIO in the exergue. The legend and portrait style are similar to those seen on the first issue of tetradrachms with eagle on club ([McAlee] no. 529), attributed here to Tyre

The seller didn't give a RIC number, but mine looks remarkably similar to the British Museum Specimen which they say is RIC II, Part 3 (second edition) Hadrian 2959 minted in Antioch, which fits with your account. In fact, the context cointained in your description is exaclty the reason I was after this coin. It was pivotal in cementing the transfer of power from Trajan to Hadrian. The Antioch mint is the cherry on top for historical relevancy. I would have settled for a Rome mint, but my heart was always in Antioch! The style is very interesting too, and I like the comparisos between the Tetradrachms too which adds another historical tidbit.

Your coin certaintly wins the beauty contest!

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/C_1929-0716-11

Edited by Steppenfool
  • Like 2