Happy to be here! Domain name?

AncientJoe

I'm happy to see the reforming of a community here! Are there any plans to purchase a domain name? The current numeric placeholder isn't ideal - ancientcoinchat.com is available (albeit appearing a bit non-inclusive to our less antiquated brethren) or perhaps a brainstorming session would be useful? Domains are notoriously difficult to find non-registered.

I'd gladly contribute to a hosting/purchasing fund. A domain through GoDaddy or other major providers shouldn't be more than $20/year with all of the privacy bells and whistles in place.

Edited by AncientJoe
  • Like 14

• AncientJoe changed the title to Happy to be here! Domain name?

Really happy to be here, and to see some of my favorite posters on this thread being here already. 

I decided to quit supporting CT after the rude sticky thread was posted on top of page 1 there, as if we were children. So my chat board supporter money for 2022 aren’t spent, and I’m happy to contribute. 

There seems to be no «like» function here, which is just as well. Please just assume that I like all your posts. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Svessien said:

Really happy to be here, and to see some of my favorite posters on this thread being here already. 

I decided to quit supporting CT after the rude sticky thread was posted on top of page 1 there, as if we were children. So my chat board supporter money for 2022 aren’t spent, and I’m happy to contribute. 

There seems to be no «like» function here, which is just as well. Please just assume that I like all your posts. 

I just “liked” your post! 😉

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Glad to see we are considering a name.  The pricing here suggests the creator can change the name to ancientcoinchat.invisionservice.com for free.

Otherwise we will get many questions "is it prounced kay-23-2-1-3-8-7 or kay three-hundred-twenty-one-thousand-three-hundred-and-eighty-seven?"

• Like 4

11 hours ago, AncientJoe said:

I'm happy to see the reforming of a community here! Are there any plans to purchase a domain name? The current numeric placeholder isn't ideal - ancientcoinchat.com is available (albeit appearing a bit non-inclusive to our less antiquated brethren) or perhaps a brainstorming session would be useful? Domains are notoriously difficult to find non-registered.

I'd gladly contribute to a hosting/purchasing fund. A domain through GoDaddy or other major providers shouldn't be more than $20/year with all of the privacy bells and whistles in place.

Agreed! The whole process is actually quite simple. I would recommend going through AWS route53. 

http://byzantinecoins.net

i recently created my own website using that combined with lightsail/wordpress. If Mods here need help getting a domain name set up, I can help 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Svessien said:

🙂  I just went to Thread Tools, and did a Hide for the THread... However, it is just bad form to even have it there.

• Like 2

• Benefactor
15 hours ago, Phil Davis said:

I would certainly contribute as well. There probably (hopefully!) will be a need sooner rather than later to upgrade to a paid Invision account, which will also need funding.

Me too! And welcome, Svessien.

Donna

• Like 2

Hi everyone! Super happy to see all the positive responses here and the offers to help support the platform monetarily! Apologies for taking so long to reply, my day job (finance) has gotten pretty crazy the last few days (see: CNBC, for why, haha 😅). 

So right now, the reason for the domain being as it is comes from being on the 30 day initial free trial with invisionservice. After the free trial it'll go to $89/m, + the ~$10/year for the domain name. 

I am definitely open to any and all suggestions around the domain name! As I'm seeing how many posts are occurring in the non-ancient coin threads, it's evident to me already that the 'Ancient Coin Chat' name will need to pivot to something more inclusive!

I can create an announcement post outlining a timeline for domain suggestions (say, in the next 48 hours from when the post goes live all suggestions need to be submitted within the thread). After that timeline elapses, I can then create a poll for everyone to vote for their favorite option (could keep it open longer given the 30 day free trial timeline). 

Thoughts? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 8:54 AM, Ed Snible said:

Glad to see we are considering a name.  The pricing here suggests the creator can change the name to ancientcoinchat.invisionservice.com for free.

Otherwise we will get many questions "is it prounced kay-23-2-1-3-8-7 or kay three-hundred-twenty-one-thousand-three-hundred-and-eighty-seven?"

Is like to circle back to this. 

Why not keep the name nice, clean and simple?

On 5/26/2022 at 7:59 AM, DANTE said:

I'd be happy to contribute as well. My account status has just been upgraded to 'apprentice', so how could I refuse? 

We all gotta work our way up the ranks:

1610629_1609748970.l-removebg-preview.png.6602ec58387b8fb3ad3b198e5899d3e4.png

Edited by Ryro
To take you back to a different time
  • Like 5