The Cabinet - Ancient & World Coin Marketplace

Restitutor

3 minutes ago, JeandAcre said:

This regards the second, resonantly brilliant foray I've made into the Cabinet as a buyer.  Here's the link.  (@Restitutor, could you open it up so that I could give the transaction a rating?  --Same with the equally memorable Athens tetradrachm from @CPK?)

I need to just paste some of what I wrote @GregH about it.

Got the shilling today.  I am quietly but profoundly ecstatic.

Yikes.  Let's start with how it is in hand.  Started with the obverse, since that was what was showing from the flip.  As noted before, for anything in my frame of reference for Charles I, the detail on the profile is exceptional.  --From this example, it's very evident how low-relief the engraving was in the first place.  And I really, really like the lettering style; it's almost as iconic, never mind distinctive, as either Julio-Claudian or Carolingian legends.  And the lace collar (thank you, ubiquitous in contemporaneous painting) is even more resonantly connotive of the (relatively brief) period.  Yes, what I can remember of my favorite Metaphysical poets is playing in my head --Herbert no less than Donne.  

...Gestalt moment: It's Just So Great.  More broadly --literally-- it's been years on end since I've had a shilling of Elizabeth or James I --right, never one of Charles.  And the module is just, Wild.  ...Thank you, the earlier medieval I collect that much more of  runs pretty ubiquitously to deniers and their variants, along with the occasional fraction.  We're talking anywhere from 20 to 10 mm.  This is, Yeah, Wild.  It's palpably larger than an American half dollar.  That in itself is lighting up some unfamiliar synapses!

...And when I turned it over --you have my word and bond-- the detail on the coat of arms elicited an involuntary gasp.  I did look up the auction page, and can confirm that your photography is better than the auction house's, by an order of magnitude or two.  (Along with, ahem, the magnanimity of your asking price ...not to mention shipping!  The note you included is no less duly appreciated.)  ...But it really takes seeing it in person to fully appreciate the detail, especially with that beautiful, even, deep gray toning.

Yeah, so I guess this means,

Thank you, That Much [end of quote].

In my part of the world, anyone who does collect anything along these lines pretty much keeps to themselves.  It's impossible to overemphasize how gratifying, and just fun, it is to actually buy stuff from fellow collectors.  In that, as in every other way, this forum is restoring my faith in what the internet was supposed to be about in the first place.  Thanks again, @GregH, and @Restitutor, for making it possible.

What a great experience, and a fantastic coin! Love it 😄 I have unlocked the advert so you should now be able to post a review! 

• Thanks 1

I also added a review of @Prieure de Sion's new store offering, since I bought some coins through him using The Cabinet.  It was a super transaction, and I'm very pleased indeed with the coins.  Still working on my new photography setup and not perfectly happy with this photo, but here's one of the coins:

image.jpeg.65c1f8f453bc0a916feca73affc87d92.jpeg

Very glad to finally have Severus Alexander's honey on a denarius! 😄 Thank you so much, @Prieure de Sion!

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 5
  • Clap 2
  • Heart Eyes 1

7 minutes ago, Restitutor said:

What a great experience, and a fantastic coin! Love it 😄 I have unlocked the advert so you should now be able to post a review! 

Many thanks, @Restitutor.  ...Except, Oops, all I was thinking in terms of, to begin with, was a 'stars' rating, which I still can't figure out how to do.  ...And I really want to do at least that much for @CPK.  ...No, blame my level of computer illiteracy.  

Meantime, the 'Medieval' section needs an OP, before it withers and dies.  And I've been procrastinating on not one, but two.  No big hurry on this; I know it'll get done.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2022 at 10:29 PM, JeandAcre said:

Many thanks, @Restitutor.  ...Except, Oops, all I was thinking in terms of, to begin with, was a 'stars' rating, which I still can't figure out how to do.  ...And I really want to do at least that much for @CPK.  ...No, blame my level of computer illiteracy.  

Meantime, the 'Medieval' section needs an OP, before it withers and dies.  And I've been procrastinating on not one, but two.  No big hurry on this; I know it'll get done.

In the review section, which is next to the Questions section below the listing, when you click 'write a review' you'll have the ability to add a star rating! Screenshot below:

image.png.0fb11fa96d0678ad1dffc28402aea541.png

Hope this helps! 

• Thanks 1

Huge thanks, @Restitutor!  It worked like a charm for @GregH

But when I went back to @CPK's no less stellar Athenian tetradrachm (...my only one; it's actually fun to use the whole word!  :<} ), it still said: "This content is now closed to further comments."

...Rats.  Hoping you'll be able to do something that doesn't end up making you open up this option on a case-by-case basis.  (Caveat: I still have Windows 7 ...just in case that could be a factor.)  

...Which is why some of us get to be computer literate!!!  Except, Please, give this only the priority that's called for. 

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:30 PM, JeandAcre said:

Huge thanks, @Restitutor!  It worked like a charm for @GregH

But when I went back to @CPK's no less stellar Athenian tetradrachm (...my only one; it's actually fun to use the whole word!  :<} ), it still said: "This content is now closed to further comments."

...Rats.  Hoping you'll be able to do something that doesn't end up making you open up this option on a case-by-case basis.  (Caveat: I still have Windows 7 ...just in case that could be a factor.)  

...Which is why some of us get to be computer literate!!!  Except, Please, give this only the priority that's called for. 

Whoops! I must have read your original message before I had my first cup of coffee, I missed that you were referencing 2 different sales! 🙈 Apologies. If you wouldn't mind sending me the link to CPKs as well and I'll open it up so you can leave a review! 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many (if belated) thanks, @Restitutor!  Here's the link for @CPK's Athens tetradrachm. 

...But it's propitious that I forgot about this for so long!  @Spaniard's cornado of Sancho IV of Castile y Leon (...)

(...) arrived this very day.  

It's breathtaking.  Beyond the almost surreal detail --truly a perfect storm of strike and preservation-- it has this exquistite, subtle but very noticeable gold toning.  For silver, that was never something I was into before now; my more usual preference has run to the bluish side of gray.  But this is its own gestalt.  As I was saying to @Spaniard, even the toning is substantively expanding my esthetic horizons.

...This will be no less reiterative to this thread than most of the above will be to @Spaniard (sorry, @Spaniard, but the relevant content is going Nowhere!).  But all three coins I've gotten from the Cabinet (@GregH's fantastsic shilling of Charles I emphatically included) have broadened my horizons no less emphatically about the esthetics being an important criterion in collecting to begin with.  ...Between my budget, and a longstanding emphasis on earlier medieval, I've spent years underemphasizing that whole dimension.  ...But serious progress is being made!  Everyone who's helped along those lines is owed serious thanks.

(Edit:) @Restitutor, could you make sure I get some kind of notice in my home inbox when you get to this, just in case I miss it otherwise?  Many thanks!

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 1
  • Heart Eyes 1

...Oh.  I finally get it.  @CPK never listed this next one in the Cabinet; he had it on ebay, and wrote, offering a serious discount.  ...But he still gets to be @CPK, and the example is brilliant.

Image 1 - Ancient Roman Coin, Constantine II (AD 337-340), AE3, Beautifully detailed coin!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165562320144?nma=true&si=g%2B2FlHNVEpFLayBd5EZfztRDHEc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

After repeated attempts, it's impossible to overemphasize what the Cabinet has already done for my appreciation of the esthetic dimension of numismatics.  --This from 1) a  medievals guy, for decades on 2) a budget.  

Granted @CPK's very literally professional photography, this is only better 'dans le main.'  I hadn't collected LRBs since I was a kid, in the '70's.  I was resonantly reminded of how the relief, particularly in comparison to antoniniani from Gallienus on, actually improved.  The beautiful, almost black patina does wonders to emphasize this.  --No, this isn't a patina I can remember, which in itself represents another, profoundly welcome broadening of my horizons, again on the esthetic level.

Many thanks, Connor.  In its own context, a representative LRB --all of my old ones being long gone-- was effectively on my 'bucket list.'  At pronounced risk of mixed metaphor, this one Nailed it.

Edited by JeandAcre
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bump....

Kashmir coins wanted...

Anyone want to sell off any type I'll be interested....

Remember Kashmir coins are social coins they don't like being on their own as they become sad and restless. Send them over to my herd where you know they  will mix with others frolicking in my cabinet...

Thanks Paul

• Laugh 2

14 hours ago, ambr0zie said:

Hello @Restitutor and all,

I added some coins in The Cabinet section but when I want to review my listings .... I see @Restitutor's listings.

Clicking it brings me to https://www.numisforums.com/profile/1-restitutor/content/?type=classifieds_advert

image.png.d26941d7eb1165e094fa3236d84b0742.png

Looking into this.

@ambr0zie - issue should now be resolved, please let me know if you're still experiencing any issues!

Edited by Restitutor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Restitutor changed the title to The Cabinet - Ancient & World Coin Marketplace
  • Restitutor unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...

@Spaniard, gotta run over there and scope 'em out!  The LRBs I still have are very thin on the ground.  And with my emphases, they allow for a more relaxed approach, emphasizing the esthetics --which is no a bad thing, if you spend most of your time wading in the underbrush of earlier medieval.

(Edit:)  Hmm, they haven't shown up in the Cabinet yet --unless someone had the wit to snap 'em all up already.  ...But I'll be back!

Edited by JeandAcre

.....hey...aint this where we sell coins?...well, imma sell a coin...i don't think this is a legit coin, although most everyone else says it is( Barry said he saw no concerns)....it weighs 9.76gms and measures 26mm...i gave $50.00...i'll take $25.00....if its real, ya gotta deal..if it ain't...i didn't think it was...6_6

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

Edited by ominus1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

.....hey...aint this where we sell coins?...well, imma sell a coin...i don't think this is a legit coin, although most everyone else says it is( Barry said he saw no concerns)....it weighs 9.76gms and measures 26mm...i gave $50.00...i'll take $25.00....if its real, ya gotta deal..if it ain't...i didn't think it was...6_6

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1424.JPG

Pretty sure you're supposed to go through the process of listing in The Cabinet, @ominus1. That's where the sales go, though it's OK to announce them in this thread.

I bet the coin will go quickly! 🙂 

Edited by Severus Alexander
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ominus1 said:

haha...no sir..no me ever(i know you meant coin ><)...'ve listed before but its been awhile...maybe @Restitutorwill put it over there for me...:)

😆😆😆 Typo, I promise, buddy!!  (Hilarious!)  Fixed now. 🙂

Nope, Res has enough on his plate, you gotta list it yourself.  Don't worry it's painless. 🙂