No more hands on photos

Coinmaster

There are several sites that can be used to cut out a coin in a photo. You'll have to pay for most of them, but this site allows users to use it for free. The image is in low quality, but still excellent for websites, etc. Give it a try! https://photoscissors.com/upload
For instance this photo with and without the hand. Very easy.

With hand.jpg

Without hand.png

• Like 14

I dont like online tools - because the most of them save a copy of my picture at their servers. And at the most terms you agree, that you share the rights of your picture with this company. So they can use this pictures - without asking you. Sorry.

And I use this not - because there are so many freeware tools can do the same with one click.

One of them is Photo Scape X for Windows an Mac ... and free in the Basic Version.
And the basic Version had all I need - include cut out the elements in your pictures. 

http://x.photoscape.org 

Or use GIMP or, or, or...

My opinion, my 2 cents 😉 

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Prieure de Sion said:

I dont like online tools - because the most of them save a copy of my picture at their servers. And at the most terms you agree, that you share the rights of your picture with this company. So they can use this pictures - without asking you. Sorry.

And I use this not - because there are so many freeware tools can do the same with one click.

Being a complete luddite I didn't know this!....Thanks have downloaded the basic version and will now have a little play..

• Like 1
  • Yes 1

21 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Being a complete luddite I didn't know this!....

Thats the most problem of all online services - the terms - same like Facebook. If you upload a picture - you allowed the company tho share the rights of your own picture! A little story. A friend of me use a single-online service and upload his private pictures for finding a new girlfriend 😉 ... month laters he drive with his car in his big home city and see in the city big advertising posters! with the faces of many women and men - and with his (picture) face! "We are all searching for a new partner!". He was very angry about that and consult an law - but a look at the terms say - uploading your private picture share the rights of the picture with us.

So many online services have this at their terms. So save you pictures at your local place!

21 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Thanks have downloaded the basic version and will now have a little play..

I have here the German version - but its only the label text in English.

image.png.96b454e9304b743acf2e1d8c70fb019c.png

* Select the 3rd menu option (Ausschnitt / Extract).
* Drag and drop the picture inside the middle.
* Select the "magic rubber".
* Click at the object you want remove. You can play with the "tolerance" bar to select the difference from the coin and the background.
* If you must move little details - select the "brush" menu. 
* After all, you can save the picture in many file types, file sizes and quality.

There are so many easy options with this free tool. 

PS: This was a wonderful picture of a Drachm from my friend Odysseus Numismatique 🙂 

Edited by Prieure de Sion
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Yes 1
  • Laugh 1

5 minutes ago, Prieure de Sion said:

Thats the most problem of all online services - the terms - same like Facebook. If you upload a picture - you allowed the company tho share the rights of your own picture! A little story. A friend of me use a single-online service and upload his private pictures for finding a new girlfriend 😉 ... month laters he drive with his car in his big home city and see in the city big advertising posters! with the faces of many women and men - and with his (picture) face! "We are all searching for a new partner!". He was very angry about that and consult an law - but a look at the terms say - uploading your private picture share the rights of the picture with us.

Wooooh! That's scary!

2 minutes ago, Spaniard said:

Wooooh! That's scary!

More than scary for him - it was a blame - because everyone see that he was registered at a single website. Since at 20 years - it was a little blame 😄 

So - here you see - I only delete the 1/2 of the hands for better presentation - it's very easy to use. But GIMP its easy to use too. So for my opinion - there is no reason why you need online tools - because there are so many free local tools. with many more options.

image.png.f25ee7d91fd4b36a0a0a6d7d83cb815f.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just take pics on a white piece of paper, crop, and then use the iPhone's native "vignette" feature to make the entire background a rather pure white.

Usually works pretty well. A bit of coronal fall-off due to the macro lens attachment I use, but overall a good, very simple and fast method.

IMG_7092.jpg.7f58cfaa24c4e50cdf4e96566bf7f3dc.jpg

The problem is with larger coins is that you usually end up with a little halo around the coin, though.

1342273666_GallienusAE29SNGBnF574.JPG.c4756408a4366e5d202e940408255492.JPG

• Like 6

• Benefactor

I use MS word. Paste pic into doc, format picture, remove background then fill with color of choice. Easy. 

• Like 1

My favourite type of photo is a high quality camera shot with the "real" background still present. 

I think the fake backgrounds add an element of uncanniness sometimes. This is especially true of plain white. To me it's kind of like if you try and view things in real life when covering one eye. I don't know what's going on optically, or of it's all in my head though.

I really liked the technique some other posters used of mounting the coin on a pillar and taking shots with a high quality camera. It really aids in combating the superficial nature of some photos by creating a 3D effect.

Below is how Numisart on MAShops displays their coins, I think the shadows and slight angle of the shot really give a sense of depth and subsequently the relief of the coin and shape of the flan. 

No doubt someone will tell me this is all clever computer work and I'll look silly. 😂

image.png.d7323ed0844199135054c849863de653.png

• Like 4

On 1/23/2023 at 4:32 PM, Steppenfool said:

My favourite type of photo is a high quality camera shot with the "real" background still present. 

I think the fake backgrounds add an element of uncanniness sometimes. This is especially true of plain white. To me it's kind of like if you try and view things in real life when covering one eye. I don't know what's going on optically, or of it's all in my head though.

I really liked the technique some other posters used of mounting the coin on a pillar and taking shots with a high quality camera. It really aids in combating the superficial nature of some photos by creating a 3D effect.

Below is how Numisart on MAShops displays their coins, I think the shadows and slight angle of the shot really give a sense of depth and subsequently the relief of the coin and shape of the flan. 

No doubt someone will tell me this is all clever computer work and I'll look silly. 😂

You are definitely right that there is an aesthetic difference between them, it's something I've noticed too. I also think it's not only the background but any element that adds depth perception. So, for example, in my photos I use focus stacking to get the coin entirely in focus at 1x magnification, which usually isn't possible with most ancient coins due to the relatively high reliefs (compared to moderns). What I've noticed is that I'll often find a single photo from that stack, which only has part of the coin in focus, more pleasing than the completed stack with everything in focus. I think it's all about the depth perception as having out-of-focus parts of the image provides some information about the relative height of features on the coin and this is exaggerated by macro lenses which have a tiny depth of field.

The background and shadows of the coin on the background just add to this effect by providing more context. So not only can you see that different parts of the coin are at different heights from the fields or surfaces, but also that the coin itself has a thickness because the surface it is sitting on is partly out of focus or receiving light differently, either due to the distance from the coin or the coin itself modifying the light (e.g. shadows). Angling the coin relative to the lens also does the same by decreasing the amount of the coin which is in focus and also showing a different perspective that will likely have an element of perspective distortion.

I think Art Ancient (previously on Vcoins) and Roma Numismatics do this quite well with photos like these:

ArtAncient

42643-01-THFWO.jpg

Roma

25143.1.1_2.jpg

The downside, of course, is that these photos aren't ideal for cataloguing or websites because they look a bit ugly against a plain background (reminding us all of late 90s/early 2000s websites) and you will need to make a trade-off between having the coin in focus and capturing as much detail as possible. Angling the coin also distorts the shape of the coin so that's another reason you wouldn't want to do that for archival or academic photos.

It's a bit of a shame that you have to make the decision between one style over the other, neither is necessarily better overall, they just have different purposes. Perhaps a middle ground is to provide a false perspective by adding a reflection, shadow, or a "horizon", like what Shanna Schmidt does for her Vcoins store:

CRb79B2oYd4KyLt5f8Ze2X5ki33H6e.jpg

Edited by Kaleun96
  • Like 5
  • Heart Eyes 2

• Benefactor
10 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

I have the newest version of Word, but unfortunately this function is absent...

I have a subscription to Office, I use that method with word for my coins weekly, that programs get updates frequently as well, in fact I don't think you can get any newer software. 

Ken Dorney said it works with power point as well, he was the one who taught me this method with word on a previous post of his. 

Copy image on to word doc. Right click image on word doc, right click image and choose format picture. Then at top of screen type remove background. Then touch up anything that is missing or and area you want removed. then on right side of screen choose fill, you have about 50 colors to choose from, including this obnoxious green.

f4.jpg.7c893743b36a6148340ff4d6545085b5.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Simon said:

I have a subscription to Office, I use that method with word for my coins weekly, that programs get updates frequently as well, in fact I don't think you can get any newer software. 

Ken Dorney said it works with power point as well, he was the one who taught me this method with word on a previous post of his. 

Copy image on to word doc. Right click image on word doc, right click image and choose format picture. Then at top of screen type remove background. Then touch up anything that is missing or and area you want removed. then on right side of screen choose fill, you have about 50 colors to choose from, including this obnoxious green.

f4.jpg.7c893743b36a6148340ff4d6545085b5.jpg

I know, I've seen a dozen step by step explanations online, watched videos, called help, but the function just isn't there in Word. Power Point I have to check but the Pixl.com-option works very well too.

• Like 1
  • Cool Think 1

6 hours ago, Coinmaster said:

but the function just isn't there in Word.

Hi @Coinmaster,

I thought the same thing too but I found you have to use INSERT to add the photo to the doc file, not cutting and pasting. Then you should see the ‘remove background’ icon at the upper left corner.

- Broucheion 

Edited by Broucheion
  • Like 1
  • Gasp 1

On 1/22/2023 at 5:21 AM, Prieure de Sion said:

So many online services have this at their terms. So save you pictures at your local place!

I have here the German version - but its only the label text in English.

image.png.96b454e9304b743acf2e1d8c70fb019c.png

* Select the 3rd menu option (Ausschnitt / Extract).
* Drag and drop the picture inside the middle.
* Select the "magic rubber".
* Click at the object you want remove. You can play with the "tolerance" bar to select the difference from the coin and the background.
* If you must move little details - select the "brush" menu. 
* After all, you can save the picture in many file types, file sizes and quality.

There are so many easy options with this free tool. 

PS: This was a wonderful picture of a Drachm from my friend Odysseus Numismatique 🙂 

😉

You forgot to end the story! Did your friend find his love after all that free publicity? 😉

Edited by NathanB
  • Yes 1