• Julius Caesar Denarius
    • Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm
    • Antoninus Pius Sestertius
    • L. Lentulus Denarius
    • Brutus Denarius
    • Victoria Half Farthing
    • Q. Pomponius Musa Denarius
    • Ireland €100

It's been a funny old year and I'm glad to see the back of it.   Whether 2023 will be any better remains to be seen, of course - but we can only hope!

Coin-wise, I didn't make it to any fairs or other events, so everything I got was bought online - oh, except for one coin at my society's Christmas auction.   I added 243 coins to Tantalus in 2022 - mostly bought in 2022, but some from earlier years.

The order here is chronological, based on when I added the data to Tantalus, starting with the earliest.

1. Denarius of M. Aemilius Lepidus

This and some other coins in this sale (Leu Web Auction 18) were described as being "From the Red Ox Collection and the collection of the Czech musician Adolf Picek (circa 1885-1978), and formerly in the possession of an Italian banker, whose life was saved by Mr. Picek in the Battles of the Piave River on the Italian Front in 1917-1918 and who presented his savior with 'four socks of old coins' in reward."   This interesting provenance was the main reason I bid on it - assuming it is one of the coins from the socks.

The Lepidus who minted the coin is the triumvir.   I give the date of 61 BC, favoured by Crawford for the minting of this coin, as that was when Lepidus was a moneyer.   Michael Harlan suggests that it was minted later - in 53 BC.   Evidence for this is reverse - the legend TVTOR REG and S.C. - unfortunately, my coin was badly struck and this part of the reverse legend is off the flan or otherwise illegible.   The great-grandfather of Lepidus had some role as a guardian of Ptolemy V in around 200BC when he was part of a 3-member delegation to Greece and Egypt.   He was sent to speak to Philip V of Macedonia to warn him off attacking Greek kingdoms and Ptolemy V of Egypt.   Harlan speculates that it might make sense to recall this event in 53BC when Ptolemy XII Auletes was on the throne, possibly in poor health, with his will making Cleopatra and her brother his joint successors lodged in Rome with the Roman people its executors (it's not certain when this will was made, but before his death in 51BC).

Added on: Jan 22, 2022
Gens: Aemilia
Moneyer: M. Aemilius Lepidus
Coin: Silver Denarius
ALEXANDREA - Female head right, wearing turreted diadem
PONT•MAX / TVTOR REG / S C / M LEPIDVS - On the right, togate figure standing front, head to left, crowning with his right hand a smaller figure standing facing on the left, holding staff in his right hand
Mint: Rome (61 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.82g / 20mm / 4h
References:
  • RSC 24 (Aemilia)
  • Sydenham 832
  • Crawford 419/2
  • BMCRR Rome 3648, 3649
  • RBW 1511
Provenances:
  • Ex. Red Ox Collection
  • Ex. Adolf Picek Collection
Acquisition: Leu Numismatik Online auction Web Auction 18 #2479 20-Dec-2021

spacer.pngspacer.png

2. M. Arrius Secundus Denarius

Not in great condition, but scarce coin.   I've missed out on better ones in the past, but bid enough to get this 😄

Added on: Feb 23, 2022
Gens: Arria
Moneyer: M. Arrius Secundus
M·ARRIVS SECVNDVS - Male head right, bearded
- Wreath, hasta pura and phalerae (dona militaria)
Mint: Rome (41 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.56g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 2 (Arria)
  • Sydenham 1084
  • Crawford 513/2
  • BMCRR Rome 4210
  • RBW 1791
Acquisition: Tauler & Fau Online auction Subasta 103 #1301 1-Feb-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

3. Anonymous L Victoriatus

This is a nice coin - I don't have many slabbed coins and have so far left it in the slab.   It ended up being outrageously expensive!

Added on: Apr 11, 2022
Gens: Anonymous
Coin: Silver Victoriatus
- Laureate head of Jupiter right; bead and reed border
L - Victory standing right, placing wreath on trophy
Exergue: ROMA
Mint: Luceria (211-208 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.77g / 15mm / 7h
References:
  • RSC 36e* (Anon)
  • Sydenham 121
  • Crawford 97/1a
  • RBW 395
Acquisition: CNG Online auction eAuction 512 #480 23-Mar-2022
Notes: Apr 11, 22 - In NGC encapsulation 4374448-107, graded MS – Fine Style

spacer.pngspacer.png

4. L. Torquatus Denarius

I like the head of Sibyl on this - I've bid half-heartedly on some of these in the past, but was happy to win this example in February.

Gens: Manlia
Moneyer: L. Torquatus
SIBYLLA - Head of Sibyl right, wearing ivy-wreath; border of dots
L·TORQVAT / III·VIR - Tripod, on which stands amphora; on either side of amphora, star. Torque as border.
Mint: Rome (65 BC )
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.70g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 12a (Manlia)
  • Sydenham 836
  • Crawford 411/1b
Acquisition: Cayón Subastas Online auction Subasta Electronica 80 #30439 28-Feb-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

5. T. Vettius Sabinus Denarius

This moneyer had been a quaestor in Sicily under Verres, governor from 73 to 71 BC.   The obverse has the head of King Tatius, presumably because the moneyer claims a Sabine ancestry himself.   The reverse type is somewhat obscure, IVDEX is translated as judge, but in the Roman context it was more akin to a juror as it was only a temporary appointment for the duration of an investigation.   Harlan suggests that this coin was struck by T. Vettius as a quaestor in Sicily (under the S.C. authority, rather than as a moneyer) and that the reverse reflects his functions there.

Added on: Apr 25, 2022
Gens: Vettia
Moneyer: T. Vettius Sabinus
TA / SABINVS / S·C - Head of King Tatius right
Togate figure in biga left, holding reins in right hand and magistrate's staff in left hand - IVDEX
Exergue: T·VETTIVS
Mint: Rome (70 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.93g / 20mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 2 (Vettia)
  • Sydenham 905
  • Crawford 404/1
  • BMCRR Rome 3370
Provenances:
  • Ex. Augustus Brown, November 1970
Acquisition: DNW Online auction #1305 13-Apr-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

6. Julius Caesar Denarius

Well, you have to have a J.C. in any list.

Added on: Jul 30, 2022
Ruler: Julius Caesar
LII - Diademed female head right, wearing oak-wreath
CAE-SAR - Trophy of Gallic arms, axe surmounted by an animal's head on right
Mint: (48-47 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.82g / - / -
References:
  • Sydenham 1009
  • Crawford 452/2
  • BMCRR 3955
  • HCRI 11
Acquisition: Tauler & Fau Online auction Auction 113 #1125 28-Jun-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

7. Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm

All's well that ends well and I finally received this coin in August, after winning it in auction in January.   I thought it was lost in the post a couple of times, after being "Out for delivery" and then "Forwarded" three times.   It's better in hand than in these photos, which bring out the scratches and surface problems more than are apparent to the eye.

Added on: Aug 12, 2022
State, City: Sicily, Entella
Coin: Silver Tetradrachm
- Wreathed head of Arethousa left; four dolphins around
- Head of horse left; palm tree to right, [‘]MMḤNT (in Punic) below
Mint: Entella (ca. 320/15-300 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 16.78g / 26mm / 11h
References:
  • Jenkins, Punic, Series 3a
  • CNP 267
  • HGC 2, 284
Provenances:
  • Ex. CGB Live Auction June 2021, lot 19
Acquisition: CNG Online auction Triton XXV Session V #5015 25-Jan-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

8. Antoninus Pius Sestertius

At one time, I collected the coins of Antoninus Pius.   I got a bit bored with that, but still pick up the odd one.   When looking through this year's additions, this stood out for some reason and so include it here - it's a nice colour and just pleasant.

Added on: Sep 5, 2022
Ruler: Antoninus Pius (Augustus)
Coin: Bronze Sestertius
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P IMP II - Head of Antoninus Pius, laureate, sometimes draped on left shoulder, right
TR POT XX COS IIII - ecuritas seated left, holding sceptre, on chair formed of two cornucopiae
Exergue:
http://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/spacer.gif http://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/symbols/imperial/symbol18.gifhttp://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/symbols/imperial/symbol3.gif
Mint: Rome (156-157 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 24.40g / 31mm / -
References:
  • RIC III 968 (Antoninus Pius)
  • BMCRE 2016 (Antoninus Pius)
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 75 #488 31-Jul-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

9. L. Lentulus Denarius

This is a fairly rare coin issues by Lentulus probably in Ephesus where he was raising troops for Pompey.

Added on: Sep 12, 2022
Gens: Cornelia
Moneyer: L. Lentulus
- Head of Jupiter right
L·LENTVLVS M͡A͡R COS - Artemis of Ephesus, facing
Mint: Ephesus (49 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.88g / 19mm / 11h
References:
  • Sydenham 1031
  • Crawford 445/3b
  • BMCRR East 23
  • HCRI 6
Acquisition: CGB Online auction Live September 2022 #brm_747934 6-Sep-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

10. Brutus Denarius

Issued at Smyrna when Brutus and Cassius met up.   Cassius issued a coin with the same reverse and I picked up an example in 2019, so this is the Brutus issue.

Added on: Oct 29, 2022
Ruler: Brutus
Gens: Junia
Moneyer: P Corn. Spinther
BRVTVS - Axe, culullus and knife
LENTVLVS SPINT - Jug and lituus
Mint: Smyrna? (43-42 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.81g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 41 (Junia)
  • Sydenham 1310
  • Crawford 500/7
  • BMCRR East 80
  • HCRI 198
Acquisition: Kuenker Online auction 377 #5624 20-Oct-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

11. Victoria Half Farthing

I mentioned at the start that some of these coins were purchased in previous years but only added to the database this year.   This is one of those - in 2013, I bought a lot of 46 farthings and farthing fractions and finally photographed them in 2022.   They turned out to be quite interesting - this is one of the first examples I recorded, which turns out to be a very rare variety with the date 1851 over 5851, so the die was modified.   I collected farthings when I started collecting coins as a kid in the late 1970s, so this was a trip down memory lane - perhaps I'll try to fill in more gaps in my farthing collection now.   This half farthing was struck for colonial use in Ceylon/Sri Lanka.

Added on: Sep 27, 2022
Monarch: Victoria
Coin: Copper Half Farthing
VICTORIA 😧 G: BRITTANNIAR: REGINA F: 😧 - Bare head left
HALF FARTHING 1851 - Crown, legend, thistle, rose & shamrock emblem
Mint Date: 1851
Wt./Size/Axis: 2.36g / 18mm / 0h
References:
  • Spink 3951
Acquisition: Triskeles Auctions Online auction Auction 7 #291 (part of) 12-Sep-2013
Notes: Sep 27, 22 - This is a variety with 1851 over 5851.

spacer.pngspacer.png

12. Q. Pomponius Musa Denarius

This fairly non-descript coin marks the completion of my Muses series (my Erato is the more common variety, not the rare single-die version but I'm sticking to that attribution until I find a cheap rare Erato).   There was a thread here on Numisforums about the Muses series and I realised that I lacked just Clio - a quick look at upcoming auctions showed that Vico had one, so I bid on it and bought it.   Quite a few of my Muses will hopefully be upgraded someday, but my standards are low and it may take years to get back to them.

Added on: Nov 9, 2022
Gens: Pomponia
Moneyer: Q. Pomponius Musa
- Laureate head of Apollo right; behind, scroll
MVSA \ Q·POMPONI - Clio, left, holding scroll in right hand and resting left elbow on column
Mint: Rome (66 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.78g / 19mm / -
References:
  • RSC 10 (Pomponia)
  • Sydenham 812
  • Crawford 410/3
  • FFC-1035
Acquisition: Jesús Vico Online auction Subasta Online 19 #262 4-Oct-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

13. Ireland €100

I tend to pick up most of the commemorative coins issued in Ireland.   I bought 4 this year - a 2009 coin marking 125 years of the GAA which I'd missed at the time, a 2020 Luke Kelly coin, only issued in 2022 due to Covid or something, a coin commemorating Dr. Kathleen Lynn (I'd never heard of her, but she was a revolutionary and suffragette) and this - marking 100 years of Irish independence.   This contains half an ounce of gold and only 750 were minted, so it sold out within an hour.   A fairly lazy design, to be honest - a harp on each side.

Added on: Dec 18, 2022
Authority: Central Bank
Coin: 2022 €100
ÉIRE 2022 - Harp
EURO 100 YEARS / SAOIRSE IN ÉIRINN 1922-2022 - Stylised harp
Shape: Round.
Mint: (750)
Wt./Size/Axis: 15.55g / 28mm / 0h
Acquisition: Central Bank Online shop 30-Nov-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

Best wishes to all for 2023 - may we add more interesting coins 🙂

ATB,
AIdan.

• Like 26
  • Cookie 2
  • Heart Eyes 3

52 minutes ago, Nerosmyfavorite68 said:

There's many admirable types there, but I have to vote for the Arrius Secundus.  To have one in any condition is enviable.  I have the L. Servius Rufus one.

Thanks! - my Servius Rufus is a fourrée with the reverse plating largely gone, but it's OK for now!:

spacer.png

ATB,
Aidan.

• Like 4
  • Smile 1

14 hours ago, akeady said:

It's been a funny old year and I'm glad to see the back of it.   Whether 2023 will be any better remains to be seen, of course - but we can only hope!

Coin-wise, I didn't make it to any fairs or other events, so everything I got was bought online - oh, except for one coin at my society's Christmas auction.   I added 243 coins to Tantalus in 2022 - mostly bought in 2022, but some from earlier years.

The order here is chronological, based on when I added the data to Tantalus, starting with the earliest.

1. Denarius of M. Aemilius Lepidus

This and some other coins in this sale (Leu Web Auction 18) were described as being "From the Red Ox Collection and the collection of the Czech musician Adolf Picek (circa 1885-1978), and formerly in the possession of an Italian banker, whose life was saved by Mr. Picek in the Battles of the Piave River on the Italian Front in 1917-1918 and who presented his savior with 'four socks of old coins' in reward."   This interesting provenance was the main reason I bid on it - assuming it is one of the coins from the socks.

The Lepidus who minted the coin is the triumvir.   I give the date of 61 BC, favoured by Crawford for the minting of this coin, as that was when Lepidus was a moneyer.   Michael Harlan suggests that it was minted later - in 53 BC.   Evidence for this is reverse - the legend TVTOR REG and S.C. - unfortunately, my coin was badly struck and this part of the reverse legend is off the flan or otherwise illegible.   The great-grandfather of Lepidus had some role as a guardian of Ptolemy V in around 200BC when he was part of a 3-member delegation to Greece and Egypt.   He was sent to speak to Philip V of Macedonia to warn him off attacking Greek kingdoms and Ptolemy V of Egypt.   Harlan speculates that it might make sense to recall this event in 53BC when Ptolemy XII Auletes was on the throne, possibly in poor health, with his will making Cleopatra and her brother his joint successors lodged in Rome with the Roman people its executors (it's not certain when this will was made, but before his death in 51BC).

Added on: Jan 22, 2022
Gens: Aemilia
Moneyer: M. Aemilius Lepidus
ALEXANDREA - Female head right, wearing turreted diadem
PONT•MAX / TVTOR REG / S C / M LEPIDVS - On the right, togate figure standing front, head to left, crowning with his right hand a smaller figure standing facing on the left, holding staff in his right hand
Mint: Rome (61 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.82g / 20mm / 4h
References:
  • RSC 24 (Aemilia)
  • Sydenham 832
  • Crawford 419/2
  • BMCRR Rome 3648, 3649
  • RBW 1511
Provenances:
  • Ex. Red Ox Collection
  • Ex. Adolf Picek Collection
Acquisition: Leu Numismatik Online auction Web Auction 18 #2479 20-Dec-2021

spacer.pngspacer.png

2. M. Arrius Secundus Denarius

Not in great condition, but scarce coin.   I've missed out on better ones in the past, but bid enough to get this 😄

Added on: Feb 23, 2022
Gens: Arria
Moneyer: M. Arrius Secundus
M·ARRIVS SECVNDVS - Male head right, bearded
- Wreath, hasta pura and phalerae (dona militaria)
Mint: Rome (41 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.56g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 2 (Arria)
  • Sydenham 1084
  • Crawford 513/2
  • BMCRR Rome 4210
  • RBW 1791
Acquisition: Tauler & Fau Online auction Subasta 103 #1301 1-Feb-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

3. Anonymous L Victoriatus

This is a nice coin - I don't have many slabbed coins and have so far left it in the slab.   It ended up being outrageously expensive!

Gens: Anonymous
Coin: Silver Victoriatus
- Laureate head of Jupiter right; bead and reed border
L - Victory standing right, placing wreath on trophy
Exergue: ROMA
Mint: Luceria (211-208 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.77g / 15mm / 7h
References:
  • RSC 36e* (Anon)
  • Sydenham 121
  • Crawford 97/1a
  • RBW 395
Acquisition: CNG Online auction eAuction 512 #480 23-Mar-2022
Notes: Apr 11, 22 - In NGC encapsulation 4374448-107, graded MS – Fine Style

spacer.pngspacer.png

4. L. Torquatus Denarius

I like the head of Sibyl on this - I've bid half-heartedly on some of these in the past, but was happy to win this example in February.

Gens: Manlia
Moneyer: L. Torquatus
SIBYLLA - Head of Sibyl right, wearing ivy-wreath; border of dots
L·TORQVAT / III·VIR - Tripod, on which stands amphora; on either side of amphora, star. Torque as border.
Mint: Rome (65 BC )
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.70g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 12a (Manlia)
  • Sydenham 836
  • Crawford 411/1b
Acquisition: Cayón Subastas Online auction Subasta Electronica 80 #30439 28-Feb-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

5. T. Vettius Sabinus Denarius

This moneyer had been a quaestor in Sicily under Verres, governor from 73 to 71 BC.   The obverse has the head of King Tatius, presumably because the moneyer claims a Sabine ancestry himself.   The reverse type is somewhat obscure, IVDEX is translated as judge, but in the Roman context it was more akin to a juror as it was only a temporary appointment for the duration of an investigation.   Harlan suggests that this coin was struck by T. Vettius as a quaestor in Sicily (under the S.C. authority, rather than as a moneyer) and that the reverse reflects his functions there.

Added on: Apr 25, 2022
Gens: Vettia
Moneyer: T. Vettius Sabinus
TA / SABINVS / S·C - Head of King Tatius right
Togate figure in biga left, holding reins in right hand and magistrate's staff in left hand - IVDEX
Exergue: T·VETTIVS
Mint: Rome (70 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.93g / 20mm / 6h
References:
  • RSC 2 (Vettia)
  • Sydenham 905
  • Crawford 404/1
  • BMCRR Rome 3370
Provenances:
  • Ex. Augustus Brown, November 1970
Acquisition: DNW Online auction #1305 13-Apr-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

6. Julius Caesar Denarius

Well, you have to have a J.C. in any list.

Added on: Jul 30, 2022
Ruler: Julius Caesar
LII - Diademed female head right, wearing oak-wreath
CAE-SAR - Trophy of Gallic arms, axe surmounted by an animal's head on right
Mint: (48-47 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.82g / - / -
References:
  • Sydenham 1009
  • Crawford 452/2
  • BMCRR 3955
  • HCRI 11
Acquisition: Tauler & Fau Online auction Auction 113 #1125 28-Jun-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

7. Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm

All's well that ends well and I finally received this coin in August, after winning it in auction in January.   I thought it was lost in the post a couple of times, after being "Out for delivery" and then "Forwarded" three times.   It's better in hand than in these photos, which bring out the scratches and surface problems more than are apparent to the eye.

Added on: Aug 12, 2022
State, City: Sicily, Entella
Coin: Silver Tetradrachm
- Wreathed head of Arethousa left; four dolphins around
- Head of horse left; palm tree to right, [‘]MMḤNT (in Punic) below
Mint: Entella (ca. 320/15-300 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 16.78g / 26mm / 11h
References:
  • Jenkins, Punic, Series 3a
  • CNP 267
  • HGC 2, 284
Provenances:
  • Ex. CGB Live Auction June 2021, lot 19
Acquisition: CNG Online auction Triton XXV Session V #5015 25-Jan-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

8. Antoninus Pius Sestertius

At one time, I collected the coins of Antoninus Pius.   I got a bit bored with that, but still pick up the odd one.   When looking through this year's additions, this stood out for some reason and so include it here - it's a nice colour and just pleasant.

Added on: Sep 5, 2022
Ruler: Antoninus Pius (Augustus)
Coin: Bronze Sestertius
ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P IMP II - Head of Antoninus Pius, laureate, sometimes draped on left shoulder, right
TR POT XX COS IIII - ecuritas seated left, holding sceptre, on chair formed of two cornucopiae
Exergue:
http://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/spacer.gif http://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/symbols/imperial/symbol18.gifhttp://www.tantaluscoins.com/images/symbols/imperial/symbol3.gif
Mint: Rome (156-157 AD)
Wt./Size/Axis: 24.40g / 31mm / -
References:
  • RIC III 968 (Antoninus Pius)
  • BMCRE 2016 (Antoninus Pius)
Acquisition: Naville Numismatics Online auction NN Live 75 #488 31-Jul-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

9. L. Lentulus Denarius

This is a fairly rare coin issues by Lentulus probably in Ephesus where he was raising troops for Pompey.

Added on: Sep 12, 2022
Gens: Cornelia
Moneyer: L. Lentulus
- Head of Jupiter right
L·LENTVLVS M͡A͡R COS - Artemis of Ephesus, facing
Mint: Ephesus (49 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.88g / 19mm / 11h
References:
  • Sydenham 1031
  • Crawford 445/3b
  • BMCRR East 23
  • HCRI 6
Acquisition: CGB Online auction Live September 2022 #brm_747934 6-Sep-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

10. Brutus Denarius

Issued at Smyrna when Brutus and Cassius met up.   Cassius issued a coin with the same reverse and I picked up an example in 2019, so this is the Brutus issue.

Added on: Oct 29, 2022
Ruler: Brutus
Gens: Junia
Moneyer: P Corn. Spinther
BRVTVS - Axe, culullus and knife
LENTVLVS SPINT - Jug and lituus
Mint: Smyrna? (43-42 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.81g / - / -
References:
  • RSC 41 (Junia)
  • Sydenham 1310
  • Crawford 500/7
  • BMCRR East 80
  • HCRI 198
Acquisition: Kuenker Online auction 377 #5624 20-Oct-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

11. Victoria Half Farthing

I mentioned at the start that some of these coins were purchased in previous years but only added to the database this year.   This is one of those - in 2013, I bought a lot of 46 farthings and farthing fractions and finally photographed them in 2022.   They turned out to be quite interesting - this is one of the first examples I recorded, which turns out to be a very rare variety with the date 1851 over 5851, so the die was modified.   I collected farthings when I started collecting coins as a kid in the late 1970s, so this was a trip down memory lane - perhaps I'll try to fill in more gaps in my farthing collection now.   This half farthing was struck for colonial use in Ceylon/Sri Lanka.

Added on: Sep 27, 2022
Monarch: Victoria
Coin: Copper Half Farthing
VICTORIA 😧 G: BRITTANNIAR: REGINA F: 😧 - Bare head left
HALF FARTHING 1851 - Crown, legend, thistle, rose & shamrock emblem
Mint Date: 1851
Wt./Size/Axis: 2.36g / 18mm / 0h
References:
  • Spink 3951
Acquisition: Triskeles Auctions Online auction Auction 7 #291 (part of) 12-Sep-2013
Notes: Sep 27, 22 - This is a variety with 1851 over 5851.

spacer.pngspacer.png

12. Q. Pomponius Musa Denarius

This fairly non-descript coin marks the completion of my Muses series (my Erato is the more common variety, not the rare single-die version but I'm sticking to that attribution until I find a cheap rare Erato).   There was a thread here on Numisforums about the Muses series and I realised that I lacked just Clio - a quick look at upcoming auctions showed that Vico had one, so I bid on it and bought it.   Quite a few of my Muses will hopefully be upgraded someday, but my standards are low and it may take years to get back to them.

Added on: Nov 9, 2022
Gens: Pomponia
Moneyer: Q. Pomponius Musa
- Laureate head of Apollo right; behind, scroll
MVSA \ Q·POMPONI - Clio, left, holding scroll in right hand and resting left elbow on column
Mint: Rome (66 BC)
Wt./Size/Axis: 3.78g / 19mm / -
References:
  • RSC 10 (Pomponia)
  • Sydenham 812
  • Crawford 410/3
  • FFC-1035
Acquisition: Jesús Vico Online auction Subasta Online 19 #262 4-Oct-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

13. Ireland €100

I tend to pick up most of the commemorative coins issued in Ireland.   I bought 4 this year - a 2009 coin marking 125 years of the GAA which I'd missed at the time, a 2020 Luke Kelly coin, only issued in 2022 due to Covid or something, a coin commemorating Dr. Kathleen Lynn (I'd never heard of her, but she was a revolutionary and suffragette) and this - marking 100 years of Irish independence.   This contains half an ounce of gold and only 750 were minted, so it sold out within an hour.   A fairly lazy design, to be honest - a harp on each side.

Added on: Dec 18, 2022
Authority: Central Bank
Coin: 2022 €100
ÉIRE 2022 - Harp
EURO 100 YEARS / SAOIRSE IN ÉIRINN 1922-2022 - Stylised harp
Shape: Round.
Mint: (750)
Wt./Size/Axis: 15.55g / 28mm / 0h
Acquisition: Central Bank Online shop 30-Nov-2022

spacer.pngspacer.png

Best wishes to all for 2023 - may we add more interesting coins 🙂

ATB,
AIdan.

Wonderful additions for 2022 🤩. My favorites are #7, 10, & 3, in that order 😍.

• Like 1

@akeadyVery nice selection for 2022.  Important historical coins and a lot of variety.  I like the Siculo-Punic tetradrachm but the Brutus denarius is a fine example too. Keep showing your Irish coins.  I have had an interest in Irish numismatics since I visited Ireland nearly 40 years ago, but I have only a very few insignificant examples.

• Like 1

Floored. Just floored. 

That Arethusa on your Punic special is just jaw dropping!!! And Brutus is a beaut ta boot. 

You must've been a good boy this year. Santa left deer droppings in my stocking. I don't even know if I have the chutzpah to put together a top ten for last year. 

• Laugh 1

It seems I went with the crowd with my votes (the tet, the Brutus, and the Torquatus) but it's a fantastic list all round, congrats!  I'm intrigued by the Lentulus Ephesus, as well as the portrait on the Arrius Secundus... there seems to be some disagreement about who is depicted, Quintus Arrius or Octavian.  Any thoughts on that?

Here's an RR denarius I acquired this year:

image.jpeg.6361e15c438d40bebd52d45dd7774200.jpeg

Q. Fufius Calenus and Mucius Cordus, 70/68 BCE. Denarius (20mm, 3.70g), Rome. HO - VIRT / KALENI Jugate heads of Honos, laureate, and Virtus, wearing crested helmet, to right. Rev. ITAL - RO / CORDI Italia, on the left, standing right, holding cornucopiae in her left hand and clasping right hands with Roma, on the right, standing left, holding fasces in her left hand and placing her right foot on globe; in field to left, winged caduceus. Crawford 403/1. 

• Like 5

Absolutely amazing coins! My favorite of your list is the Brutus denarius, by far 🙂 I just love that type. Also, your Siculo-Punic Tetradrachm is a great coin. I cant imagine having to endure the uncertainty for it to arrive safe, as long as you did! 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 11:54 PM, Severus Alexander said:

It seems I went with the crowd with my votes (the tet, the Brutus, and the Torquatus) but it's a fantastic list all round, congrats!  I'm intrigued by the Lentulus Ephesus, as well as the portrait on the Arrius Secundus... there seems to be some disagreement about who is depicted, Quintus Arrius or Octavian.  Any thoughts on that?

Here's an RR denarius I acquired this year:

image.jpeg.6361e15c438d40bebd52d45dd7774200.jpeg

Q. Fufius Calenus and Mucius Cordus, 70/68 BCE. Denarius (20mm, 3.70g), Rome. HO - VIRT / KALENI Jugate heads of Honos, laureate, and Virtus, wearing crested helmet, to right. Rev. ITAL - RO / CORDI Italia, on the left, standing right, holding cornucopiae in her left hand and clasping right hands with Roma, on the right, standing left, holding fasces in her left hand and placing her right foot on globe; in field to left, winged caduceus. Crawford 403/1. 

Hi Severus,

Congrats on your RR denarius too!
I assumed it was likely an ancestor of M. Arrius on the coin - Quintus Arrius, probably.   Grueber reckons it was he, Sear does too, Crawford just says perhaps an ancestor.
In HCRI, Sear does say that it fits into a pattern of the three moneyers in that the busts resemble people other than ancestors - the Servius Rufus looks like Brutus and this somewhat like Octavian and the Vaala like Julius Caesar (or even Cassius, according to Kuenker in one article - though there are no known busts or other portraits of Cassius known).   So, I don't know - possibly, they were hedging their bets by not explicitly naming favourites, but depicting them and leaving it up to the public to draw their own conclusions.

We need a time machine!

ATB,
Aidan.

Edited by akeady
  • Like 1