Does anyone have any experiences with N&N London

ComicMan

Just curious, I cannot really find anything about them on the internet. According to /r/ancientcoins they are a B-tier auction house so that is not bad. I saw some of their coins going for 1 pound since only one person bid which kinda makes me wonder, and the prices seem a bit all over the place. Any experiences?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ComicMan said:

Just curious, I cannot really find anything about them on the internet. According to /r/ancientcoins they are a B-tier auction house so that is not bad. I saw some of their coins going for 1 pound since only one person bid which kinda makes me wonder, and the prices seem a bit all over the place. Any experiences?

Maybe Naville doesn't have the "sounding" name like Künker or other houses - but it is nevertheless a very reputable auction house that has been on the market for a long time. I would put it just below the "A" category.

Sometimes you have very high-quality goods - but also sometimes very inexpensive goods. Everything is there. But so far always reputable. 

Sometimes you just react a bit slowly - sometimes the shipment goes in a few days, I've also waited 6 weeks. But that's what I have to do with Spanish houses. No need to worry - so far I have always received my goods.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Please be aware that N&N London Numismatics does not physically hold its inventory of coins for sale at auction at its home base in London, but only stipulates cursorily that they are somewhere within the European Union (Bulgaria?). Many reputable auction houses have the coins on site prior to the auction, allowing potential purchasers the opportunity to view items beforehand at their premises.

This has vital consequences, such as possible liability for payment of import duties by British purchasers, a degree of uncertainty that the offerings in N&N London’s coin auctions have the requisite legal provenance due to the ‘inventory held abroad’ model adopted, and the inability to collect purchased items in person. Indeed, the purchaser is put at the mercy of an exorbitant delivery charge, which can be a substantial fraction of the purchase price, without any choice in the matter - I have found to my cost.  CAVEAT EMPTOR!

Edited by Michael
Removed ambiguity.
  • Like 4

Great service and they've let me combine shipping between a couple of their auctions so it wasn't too expensive when I'd only won a couple at the first auction. 

They seemed to be like Savoca was. Not many people had heard of them so you could get some great deals... now they are starting to get more popular though, and bidding wars are getting nuts. 

• Like 4

I got one coin from MA-shops (EL 1/48 Stater/ Lion Head/) that was in N&N London holder. The coin had provenances going back to 1950s. I looked at more in recent auctions/ but got creamed in bidding frenzy. They are getting better known!

John

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, panzerman said:

I got one coin from MA-shops (EL 1/48 Stater/ Lion Head/) that was in N&N London holder. The coin had provenances going back to 1950s. I looked at more in recent auctions/ but got creamed in bidding frenzy. They are getting better known!

John

I'm curious what the coin is and what provenances it had?

• Like 1

At the last N&N auction, I won the only coin I was aiming for. It will be delivered tomorrow or Thursday. Depends on Fed-Ex, Very happy with their service so far. I will look at their future auctions.

• Like 2

My coin I won in a N&N London auction arrived safely from an undisclosed EU country. Well packed, only 10 Euros shipping with FedEx and 6 days from winning to delivery.

Very impressed

• Like 1

I purchased a minor Greek bronze last year at this auction house, my postage fee was £35 ( more than the coin) to Edinburgh . I phoned the auction house to complain and was informed the coin was being shipped from Europe, I haven’t bid at there auctions since.

• Like 1

Just as an update on my earlier post. The Vespasian AR denarius was only 44 Euros plus 10Euros shipping. I guess shipping was reasonable because it was EU to EU. Inside the Fed Ex mailer was my invoice, a padded envelope containing a cloth bag with drawstring, inside of which was my coin wrapped up in bubble wrap inside stiff cardboard. As I said, couldn´t be happier with the service.

20240125_221305(2).jpg.f2a065277572b16eeaf6f66c16f08e7c.jpg

• Like 2